The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantikChicken

I'm trying to understand what will happen in January. If Mourinho isn't getting sacked until top 4 is impossible, then he'll be here during the transfer window. Surely Woodward will back him with an effort to sign a player or 2 that he wants? I imagine we would only be going for players they feel will certainly improve us, so even if/when Jose gets sacked, the next manager can make use of these additions

el3mel

I'm trying to understand what will happen in January. If Mourinho isn't getting sacked until top 4 is impossible, then he'll be here during the transfer window. Surely Woodward will back him with an effort to sign a player or 2 that he wants? I imagine we would only be going for players they feel will certainly improve us, so even if/when Jose gets sacked, the next manager can make use of these additions
We're not signing anyone and Mourinho won't be sacked till May, or April if we are KOed from Fa Cup and CL. I'm on the train of that the Glazers are going to sell the club and won't put a single more cent in the club. They will let the owners solve this mess th way they see it, it's not their problem anymore. Not spending in Jan will be the proof on that, and hopefully it happens.

Last edited:

Preezy

The conspiracy theory going round at the moment is that the Glazers are actively looking to sell the club, and will keep Jose in place during this process. No idea if it's true or not, but it's plausible.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He's got a shite record in the transfer window. If he's staying past the window, I hope we don't buy anyone in January.

Jericholyte2

I like Heinze up until he tried to get a move to the scousers. Seemed like a decent guy when he was playing for us. Ruined it all right at the end.
I got that beautiful 07/08 home kit with his name and no. on it, shame I can never wear it cause of the scouse-loving turncoat.

Although what I'd give to have him at CB with his character and work ethic!

RedDevil@84

I don't think we will buy anyone in January. And I am not sure which would make Woodward a bigger fool - is it backing Jose in January or not backing him, but keeping him in job anyways.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nothing more needs saying.
I really do not want to read anymore of this. It's bang on and it's fecking depressing that he's still here. It's clear that he's actively trying to sabotage our team in a bid to show Woodward that he should have been adequately backed.

I fecking hate Mourinho.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Nothing in press about Jose being close to getting the sack.

At this stage m it's not even his fault, Woodward and the board have turned us into a joke. Results don't matter, the football doesn't matter, the manager talking crap about the club doesn't matter. It's all about money and saving that all important 6-7 million. Clueless all around
In fact the press talk is that he's safe.

RedDevil@84

I really do not want to read anymore of this. It's bang on and it's fecking depressing that he's still here. It's clear that he's actively trying to sabotage our team in a bid to show Woodward that he should have been adequately backed.

I fecking hate Mourinho.
Mourinho has been begging for a sack for weeks now, taking indirect digs at board and Woodward. It is Woodward who refuses to blink.

Paxi

Mourinho has been begging for a sack for weeks now, taking indirect digs at board and Woodward. It is Woodward who refuses to blink.
Which is a cnutish thing to do, surely? Though, I do blame Woodward and Glazers as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So according to you exceptional conversion rates and amounts of saves per goals have nothing to do with our results but the tactic that led to a relatively high amount of chances conceded and small amount of opportunities created is the reason why we finished 2nd?

Just to highlight it, currently we score on 28% of our shots on target, last season it was 38%, we are on pace to have more shots on targets this season. Last season we registered around 4 saves per goals conceded, this season 2 and we are on pace to have around the same amount of saves if we keep the same pace, 118 in 17/18 and around 125 in 18/19.
No. I didn't say that.
What I was saying is that with players like Lukaku, Alexis, Martial and Rashford why should we not maintain a healthy goals conversation factor. Were we just that lucky over 38 games.

While I acknowledge your statistics, by far the biggest difference to last season is our awful defensive record.
There was an intent this season to (try) to play on the front foot and this tactic was cruely exposed by Tottenham at home.

I remember the game well because for the early stages we looked like a different team (not just me who said that). Then Tottenham adjusted to that and we were literally sliced open and have been ever since.

Look. We are all on the same side. We are all hurting and being a United supporter at the moment is not much fun.
If I knew the answers I would be manager but I don't so I am not.
Nevertheless your statistics make interesting reading so thanks.

RedDevil@84

Which is a cnutish thing to do, surely? Though, I do blame Woodward and Glazers as well.
Yes. But in the world of money and greedy clubs, agents, players and managers, it is not surprising.
And definitely not that surprising from Mourinho. He has a history of being cnutish when pushed to a corner. The board and the fans were well aware of that, when we hired him. But they were swept under the carpet in expectation of immediate results and title challenges. They never came though.
At this point, it is only Woodward and the board which wants to look the other way.

Paxi

Yes. But in the world of money and greedy clubs, agents, players and managers, it is not surprising.
And definitely not that surprising from Mourinho. He has a history of being cnutish when pushed to a corner. The board and the fans were well aware of that, when we hired him. But they were swept under the carpet in expectation of immediate results and title challenges. They never came though.
At this point, it is only Woodward and the board which wants to look the other way.
To be fair I championed Jose. I was sure he'd get us challenging for top honours again. I was willing to sell my soul and now we're all paying for it.

FrantikChicken

I don't think we will buy anyone in January. And I am not sure which would make Woodward a bigger fool - is it backing Jose in January or not backing him, but keeping him in job anyways.
That's the thing - if you're giving the guy the chance to keep his job, then back him as much as possible. If not then let him go and move the hell on. It's like a huge waste of time for everyone otherwise

RedDevil@84

To be fair I championed Jose. I was sure he'd get us challenging for top honours again. I was willing to sell my soul and now we're all paying for it.
I never liked Jose. I did not like the idea of hiring him. Not because he wasn't good, but purely for his constant moaning or his nature to go dirty when things don't work.
But I did think he will bring us to challenge top honours. I thought of Jose as a necessary vaccination (though painful) to get us back to the habit of challenging.

I even hoped we would build on the last season's finish. While I partially agree with Jose that the club had missed a trick by not throwing much more money in the summer, but given the rumours of the players Jose was after, I don't really think they were good enough to make us challenge for titles, given that everyone else was also upgrading.

Anyways, it is blatantly obvious that he is done here. Both in terms of results and in terms of his mind. Woodward just needs to show some brains here.

Cloud7

'Calm down it's only preseason'

I never understood why people repeat that line so much about it only being pre-season. Sure, good results don’t really mean much, but bad performances are very telling. We had two poor pre seasons recently, under Moyes and this summer under Jose, and lo and behold two horrible seasons followed.

Why people are so adamant about pre season not mattering is beyond me.

Un4givableB

My dream scenario is after we get knocked out of the CL by PSG, would be to sack Mourinho, appoint Laurent Blanc as caretaker manager till the end of the season and our new director of football.
He can evaluate the squad and help pick the new manager, hopefully he won't do a Dick Cheney.

Canagel

It's sickening. We should have seen it coming. Jose has never cared about the football.

He'd park the bus and launch to Fellaini or the last 10 minutes every game if he thought it would get the wins. And I honestly think he'd get more pleasure out of winning that way than by building a team to play great football. He couldn't be more wrong for this club.
And that's why no amount of money will be enough for him. We could buy Messi and Modric for our team but Jose would never produce the football Guardiola and Klopp have their teams playing. He parked the bus at home in CL with players like Ronaldo, Ozil and Benzema in his team .

Paxi

I never liked Jose. I did not like the idea of hiring him. Not because he wasn't good, but purely for his constant moaning or his nature to go dirty when things don't work.
But I did think he will bring us to challenge top honours. I thought of Jose as a necessary vaccination (though painful) to get us back to the habit of challenging.

I even hoped we would build on the last season's finish. While I partially agree with Jose that the club had missed a trick by not throwing much more money in the summer, but given the rumours of the players Jose was after, I don't really think they were good enough to make us challenge for titles, given that everyone else was also upgrading.

Anyways, it is blatantly obvious that he is done here. Both in terms of results and in terms of his mind. Woodward just needs to show some brains here.
I think it's a question of money... Mou has a clause in his contract from what I've read. If he misses out on CL, we'll only have to pay him a third of what it would take to compensate him now.

Tiber

My dream scenario is after we get knocked out of the CL by PSG, would be to sack Mourinho, appoint Laurent Blanc as caretaker manager till the end of the season and our new director of football.
He can evaluate the squad and help pick the new manager, hopefully he won't do a Dick Cheney.
Your dream scenario is Laurent Blanc? Interesting choice

RedDevil@84

I think it's a question of money... Mou has a clause in his contract from what I've read. If he misses out on CL, we'll only have to pay him a third of what it would take to compensate him now.
Yes. But at this point I am not sure if the difference between a full compensation and a one third compensation would be more than 10-12M. Which is nothing in today's money terms. We make millions from getting all crazy partners, including a pillow partner.
That is I assume that the contract would say something like, you'll get X amount if fired in this month, 0.95X if fired a month later or something which goes progressively lower and lower. Unless of course, we were dumb enough to agree to give him a fixed compensation (greater than his current contract value) regardless of whenever we fire him.

Skills

Snitch
The sun has set and he's still here, this club really is something else.
We're a joke. The entire footballing world is pissing themselves, and then will be pissing themselves once more once we start the biggest club in the world bullshit in pre-season.

Reddy Rederson

I never understood why people repeat that line so much about it only being pre-season. Sure, good results don’t really mean much, but bad performances are very telling. We had two poor pre seasons recently, under Moyes and this summer under Jose, and lo and behold two horrible seasons followed.

Maybe because we had a good one under LVG and then fell apart when the league started?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's past four in the evening and I'm not even seeing twitter rumours.

Devil may care

Two pieces from F365 in the losers section:
The part about the environment our players are training and playing in is key to why we are so shit, not just out of a title race but out of top 4 contention by Christmas, he's making these players seem much worse than they are due to the conditions he's fostered.

Giggsyking

I've just received an email from the club for buying merchandise, this club has no shame ffs. They don't even care how low we are at the moment.

RedDevil@84

It's past four in the evening and I'm not even seeing twitter rumours.
Not sure what you are holding on for. We are still in CL. Besides Woodward might be busy planning his vacations, once he is done with finding a new thread and needle partner

Baxter

The knives are out in the press, it seems.

Only a matter of time, but I do hope those at the top have learned from wasting months on the last two coaches.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Yes José, Robertson definitely is a quality left back than will run all day long.

So, why take your own right back off at half time and replace him with......... nobody really?

Either he is deliberately trying to get sacked or he actually is that tactically inept.

Either way ...... (said it about 1000 times now really, I'm bored of saying it) .

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If the board does not support us, why should we support them? It's pure manipulation and some of you buy into it so easily. I hope we lose against Cardiff. Judge me all you want. You lot can celebrate a victory against Cardiff if you want but I care about this fecking club more than Glazers or Woodward.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
They don't have any shame, just try to get as much money out of fans as possible. Send them back a snotty email.

It's manipulation and fans believe they HAVE to support them at all costs. How about feck no, feck you, get this fecking smug has been out of my club. I'm not buying any merchandise until that happens.

Minimalist

Yeah I completely get why people get annoyed at some folks who flip out over the actual results/final scores. But the performances and the evidence of how we're playing to play for the coming season is a pretty good indicator for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.