The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

The knives are out in the press, it seems.

Only a matter of time, but I do hope those at the top have learned from wasting months on the last two coaches.
This club doesn't learn from mistakes. That's why we keep making the same mistakes.

Greck

Right now it must be the matchgoers keeping him in the job. Wish we were more ruthless like Madrid fans. We're like sheep ready to be led over a cliff by a lunatic shepherd

Infestissumam

It's past four in the evening and I'm not even seeing twitter rumours.
pathetic, but hardly surprising. I didn't really get my hopes up today, it's not worth it ... this club obviously doesn't learn from its mistakes.

Standards haven fallen at this club. Mediocrity it is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
pathetic, but hardly surprising. I didn't really get my hopes up today, it's not worth it ... this club obviously doesn't learn from its mistakes.

Standards haven fallen at this club. Mediocrity it is.
The club would argue we aren't out of top 4 mathematically so Jose stays.
I had been saying for weeks, we won't sack him till April so I am with you. But last night while watching the game, I kept on asking myself that surely this can't go on?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
£24m to sack him now or £18m in March. Why are we waiting exactly?

dove

I'm kind of glad it hasnt happened yet,I wouldnt like to give liverpool the satisfaction.
The satisfaction for our rivals is seeing Jose in charge, they surely want to last is as long as possible.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I had been saying for weeks, we won't sack him till April so I am with you. But last night while watching the game, I kept on asking myself that surely this can't go on?
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't have hope of him getting sacked. But I thought the manner of the defeat and Gary Neville coming close to saying Jose should be sacked almost got my hopes up.

We'll draw or beat Cardiff and all's forgotten though. Like none of this happened.

SATA

I would like to come on here and apologise profusely to Sir Bobby Charlton. The legend knew it all along that this will happen before our very eyes and we will suffer, and indeed we are

Giggsyking

If we sack him now we pay 24 m
If we sack him when top 4 not possible we pay 18 m
only 6 m is the difference. I dont think this 6 m is holding the club.

Cloud7

Maybe because we had a good one under LVG and then fell apart when the league started?
I literally said good results don’t mean anything. The performances are far more important than the results, and even under Vangle the pre season performances were nothing to write home about. The performances under Moyes and Jose this summer gone were bad, and the seasons that followed were bad. Pre season is a decent indicator of the quality of football that is to come.

MoskvaRed

I am struggling to see what we have to lose by sacking him now if it’s a matter of 6 million more or less in compensation and in any case under half the transfer fee for a Brazilian midfielder that we never play. The atmosphere is utterly toxic and we will not make top 4. What’s the worst a caretaker could do - finish 9th or 10th? More likely the players would feel a cloud had lifted and start performing closer to their abilities.

Apokalips

I really think a combination of this whole "United aren't a sacking club" and the fact that the fans defiantly sing Jose's name makes the board decide not to act.

Logically, why would the board think we're not happy with Jose if we make a point of singing his name?

Kapardin

I am struggling to see what we have to lose by sacking him now if it’s a matter of 6 million more or less in compensation and in any case under half the transfer fee for a Brazilian midfielder that we never play. The atmosphere is utterly toxic and we will not make top 4. What’s the worst a caretaker could do - finish 9th or 10th? More likely the players would feel a cloud had lifted and start performing closer to their abilities.
It's not about money. I refuse to believe the Glazers are worried about 18 or 24 million which is peanuts for them. The real culprit is Woodward, who is probably afraid to make a big decision mid-season when no clear candidate is available.

Woodward has a comfort zone, which is end of the season for sackings and restructuring. He is too much of a coward to shake things up now and would prefer to simply ride out the season. The Glazers simply listen to him.

dove

If it's really £24m in compensation then Ed is just the worst negotiator in the world. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me one bit seeing the fees and wages we pay. Chelsea paid just £8m sacking Jose 3 years ago today and he had 4 year contract.

RedDevil@84

Woodward has a comfort zone, which is end of the season for sackings and restructuring. He is too much of a coward to shake things up now and would prefer to simply ride out the season. The Glazers simply listen to him.
I think you are thinking too highly of Woodward if you feel he would have a better succession plan in summer or end of season. I think, Woodward would start looking for alternatives in April or something when he is just a week away from firing Jose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not even a lot of money. We waste far more than that every season on transfers.
It's actually a lot of money. Unlike transfer fees, Contract write-offs can't be amortised. They have to have to show in entirety in the balance sheet. That is if Mourinho demands his money up front, which he is entitled to.

ash_86

It's actually a lot of money. Unlike transfer fees, Contract write-offs can't be amortised. They have to have to show in entirety in the balance sheet. That is if Mourinho demands his money up front, which he is entitled to.
Yes, that right. It makes Ed look so amateurish. Any payout > 10m is laughable.

PlayerOne

£24m to sack him now or £18m in March. Why are we waiting exactly?

We have muppets running the club. You would think they would have learnt their lesson after the Moyes and LVG disaster but no, nothing learnt.

As for the extra £6m, just pay it ffs. Unless there's a huge bonus they have to pay for being in the Champions League.

RedDevil5

If the difference between sacking him now and once top 4 is gone is truly only 6m, what a fecking disgrace if the club don't get rid of him as soon as possible. Board are useless, absolutely useless.

MoskvaRed

That’s true but they can just present it as one off restructuring costs and show adjusted EBITDA etc. Anyway, if it is 18m in April (rather than 24 now), 6m should not be a decisive factor.

Either way, we badly need a DoF as Woodward is clearly being taken to the cleaners when it comes to football-related contracts.

KennyBurner

Right now it must be the matchgoers keeping him in the job. Wish we were more ruthless like Madrid fans. We're like sheep ready to be led over a cliff by a lunatic shepherd
I actually hate madrid fans because of that type of behaviour. Its never good and sets the club in a bad light. Fans shouldn't have to riot to send a message. At this point there really is no need to fire mourinho until we find a good replacement. He also gets a very huge paycheck if he leaves now. He is essentially winning which we can't have after all he has put us through. He can leave once we can't attain top 4 and there is legal reason to fire him.

The only cons to this strategy is that we have to watch much more dross and our key players might be damaged beyond no return.

PlayerOne

Yes, that right. It makes Ed look so amateurish. Any payout > 10m is laughable.
All points to Ed being out his depth running a club this big. You just have to hope he realises that and brings someone in to help him but that's doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.