Film The Movies I want to see thread

hungrywing

No, I haven't. I wasn't trying to be glib. I just remembered reading they were going for a Peter Parker who 'really looked his age'. And Mr. Garfield looks in his late twenties at the youngest.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
No, I haven't. I wasn't trying to be glib. I just remembered reading they were going for a Peter Parker who 'really looked his age'. And Mr. Garfield looks in his late twenties at the youngest.
He's getting older but he can look quite young (parnassus) most importantly though he can act, so it's down to how good the script will be.

Gambit

That will be him out of xmen first class then.

Gambit

Some films for 2011 that have caught my eye.
Straw Dogs: Be nice to see if the remake has the same ballls as the orighinal. Set in Missipi.
Immortals.: Trying to ride the 300 theme.
The greatest Muppet movie ever: Do I need to say more.
and perhaps the film thats mostly caught my eye, Based of the Image comics of the same name.
Cowboys and Aliens: (Synopsis): Set in 1800s Arizona, a battle between cowboys and Apaches is interrupted by the crash landing of a space ship. The alien commander plans to tame the Old West and enslave everyone, but the cowboys and Native Americans turn their six-guns against the alien invaders. Starring Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, Sam Rockwell, Clancy Brown, Walton Goggins, Keith Carradine, Paul Dano and Grandson of John Wayne, Brendan Wayne.

Spoony

The People's President
Looks as if a girl's been possessed, which could be a bit shitty. I hope they don't show the demon(or whatever is was). . .in any form.

Gambit

Looks as if a girl's been possessed, which could be a bit shitty. I hope they don't show the demon(or whatever is was). . .in any form.
I agree. Keep it supernatural. Show the demon and it quickly becomes a monster flick.

Gambit

People just aren't getting excited enough here, lets try this approach.

Are all starring in a film about cowboys v aliens.

Gambit

Fecking useless the lot of ya, here have the latest expendables trailer.

Gambit

Not a movie but a series on sky 1 in august.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It seems to me that 2010 has not had many great movies so far. Either that or I've just not seen them for some reason.

In your opinion, what have been the great films so far this year .... so I can go download them and catch up?!

Thanks in advance.

Gambit

Just type in best films of 2010 into google, that wil tell you. Not really been blown away by anything yet this year. Some rate Shutter Island as the best of the year so far. I found it dull, boring, predictable and a least 45 minutes to long. Still give it a whirl I guess. Inception, Predators, Expendables, Scott Pilgrim v the World, Machete, Wall St 2, Paranormal Activity 2, Nice guy and Tron Legacy gives me hope for the rest of the year.

Spoony

The People's President
Just type in best films of 2010 into google, that wil tell you. Not really been blown away by anything yet this year. Some rate Shutter Island as the best of the year so far. I found it dull, boring, predictable and a least 45 minutes to long. Still give it a whirl I guess. Inception, Predators, Expendables, Scott Pilgrim v the World, Machete, Wall St 2, Paranormal Activity 2, Nice guy and Tron Legacy gives me hope for the rest of the year.
I thought it was very well made and could've easily have been a film made by Frankenheimer, however its been done before, so the unravelling plot was hardly the biggest surprise in cinema history.

Spoony

The People's President
And I thought it was influenced by Frankenheimer. According to the Guardian 'Dennis Lehane acknowledges his (Richard Condon) book’s debt to this film.'

Spoons does it again.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Shutter Island praise confuses me...It's good. But I can't for the life of me see why it's great. Apparently it's great cos Scorsese directed it and it had Di Caprio in it, but nothing in it is evident that it's a great film by a great director with a great actor in it. In fact you could take both of those factors out and it'd be almost identical...It's an above decent thriller film but little more IMO, and not original or exceptional in any facet, and it's not by a long shot something like Pans Labyrinth or Children of Men, both of which are dripping with evidently excellent direction and acting whether you liked them or not....SI could really have been made by anyone, with anyway, at anytime. Scorsese is overrated IMO. Hasn't done anything great for 20 years.

Spoony

The People's President
Shutter Island confuses me...It's good. But I can't for the life of me see why it's great. Apparently it's great cos Scorsese directed it and it had Di Caprio in it, but nothing in it is evident that it's a great film by a great director with a great actor in it. In fact you could take both of those factors out and it'd be almost identical...It's an above decent thriller film but little more IMO, and not original or exceptional in any facet, and it's not by a long shot something like Pans Labyrinth or Children of Men, both of which are dripping with evidently excellent direction and acting whether you like them or not....Scorsese is overrated IMO. Hasn't done anything great for 20 years.
I liked the homage it paid to 50s/60s' psychological thrillers, I thought Di Caprio despite not having the presence of a classic actor like James Stewart or Rock Hudson, did a decent job of mimicking their style. I also thought it looked wonderful on the whole, and only let done by the use of CGI on a couple of occasions. However the reason why it didn't quite work for me was the plot itself. When you've seen this plot done before(and much better in some cases) it's like well. . . yes that was okay but so what? has it done or said anything that's not been done before? I think deep down it was a Scorsese film ie the sympathy for a tragic perhaps insane character but for some reason it didn't feel like a Scorcese film. . . which to be fair could've been due to the (unoriginal) unravelling plot.

Gambit

Seconds and Manchurian Candidate are masterpieces. Not seen Grand Prix, though.
Well worth seeing had many camera and editing firsts that are now standard in high speed race chase sequences. Putting the actors into the actual cars as instead of Green screen. Le Mans starring Steve Mcqueen copied its style and even took a load of film, they (Grand Prix) had done at the Nuremberg.

Alex

Shutter Island praise confuses me...It's good. But I can't for the life of me see why it's great. Apparently it's great cos Scorsese directed it and it had Di Caprio in it, but nothing in it is evident that it's a great film by a great director with a great actor in it. In fact you could take both of those factors out and it'd be almost identical...It's an above decent thriller film but little more IMO, and not original or exceptional in any facet, and it's not by a long shot something like Pans Labyrinth or Children of Men, both of which are dripping with evidently excellent direction and acting whether you liked them or not....SI could really have been made by anyone, with anyway, at anytime. Scorsese is overrated IMO. Hasn't done anything great for 20 years.
I did think that the soundtrack was great for Shutter Island ;)

Spoony

The People's President
Well worth seeing had many camera and editing firsts that are now standard in high speed race chase sequences. Putting the actors into the actual cars as instead of Green screen. Le Mans starring Steve Mcqueen copied its style and even took a load of film, they (Grand Prix) had done at the Nuremberg.
I'll have to check it out.

I might watch Black Book tonight, if I can be arsed.

Gambit

A set for the next transformers movie. Looks like Bay is up to his usual deep introspection of the characters and their emotions.

Mockney

I liked the homage it paid to 50s/60s' psychological thrillers, I thought Di Caprio despite not having the presence of a classic actor like James Stewart or Rock Hudson, did a decent job of mimicking their style. I also thought it looked wonderful on the whole, and only let done by the use of CGI on a couple of occasions. However the reason why it didn't quite work for me was the plot itself. When you've seen this plot done before(and much better in some cases) it's like well. . . yes that was okay but so what? has it done or said anything that's not been done before? I think deep down it was a Scorsese film ie the sympathy for a tragic perhaps insane character but for some reason it didn't feel like a Scorcese film. . . which to be fair could've been due to the (unoriginal) unravelling plot.
Yeah no I liked it...I thought it was a good film...or a very very good B movie...But some people went mad for it. There were two threads on it here (TWO!!!) with people debating the ending like it was The Usual Suspects or something when not only did I find it perfectly straightforward and relatively unambiguous, also - as you mentioned - something that's been done about 4 billion times in cinema...many of them in the last 10 years, and much better. Though at least it did actually work with the film, unlike say Secret Window, where I just went "seriously? Oh feck off"

I didn't get the fervour. You could flick it on and it could literally be any psyc thriller from the last 20 years, whereas something like Children of Men (which I mention cos I did actually flick it on the other day) you would notice instantly was fantastically well made and worth getting excited by ...SI just wasn't anything unusual or amazing, but some people went mental for it like it was the only film they'd ever seen..which I can only assume is the Scorsese factor, which itself is hardly anything to be worked up by these days.....personal hang up I guess. It just seemed like a very run of the mill good film to be getting so excited about and 2 threads on it's amazingly uncomplex complexities. It was alright. Meh.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah no I liked it...I thought it was a good film...or a very very good B movie...But some people went mad for it. There were two threads on it here (TWO!!!) with people debating the ending like it was The Usual Suspects or something when not only did I find it perfectly straightforward and relatively unambiguous, also - as you mentioned - something that's been done about 4 billion times in cinema...many of them in the last 10 years, and much better. Though at least it did actually work with the film, unlike say Secret Window, where I just went "seriously? Oh feck off"

I didn't get the fervour. You could flick it on and it could literally be any psyc thriller from the last 20 years, whereas something like Children of Men (which I mention cos I did actually flick it on the other day) you'd would notice instantly was fantastically well made and worth getting excited by ...SI just wasn't great, but some people went mental for it like it was the only film they'd ever seen..which I can only assume is the Scorsese factor, which itself is hardly anything to be worked up by these days.....personal hang up I guess. It just seemed like a very run of the mill good film to be getting so excited about and 2 threads on it's amazingly uncomplex complexities. It was alright. Meh.
Oh I agree, it was fairly straightforward and as you said relatively unambiguous. I don't know. . .perhap they just don't watch many films. I suspect they probably liked the unravelling plot and twist. And I'm not sure it's even got a replay factor, usually these types of movies can be rewatched a couple of times, just to see the mechanics but I'm not sure this needs to be seen again.

Alex

Oh I agree, it was fairly straightforward and as you said relatively unambiguous. I don't know. . .perhap they just don't watch many films. I suspect they probably liked the unravelling plot and twist. And I'm not sure it's even got a replay factor, usually these types of movies can be rewatched a couple of times, just to see the mechanics but I'm not sure this needs to be seen again.
Yeah I thought the film was good, but upon rewatching it the suspense in it had dwindled considerably for me

Mockney

Well clearly none of us hated it, we all quite liked it...but if it truly is one of the best films of the year, then it's been a pretty shit year so far for film. I can't even think of anything I'm that excited by...we're all just waiting on Nolan again aren't we?...what else is there? Thor? Tron Legacy?...Jesus Christ! has there been one good comedy this year?