The natural successor: Has Neymar blown it?

Skills

Snitch
If PSG really want him out, can we get him? I reckon at this stage of his career, he's the perfect false 9.

Zlatanator

Neymar looks in really good shape, he had a really good start to the season and his work rate has increased. I think this is beautiful of the WC looming and he's keeping himself in good shape.

TsuWave

Had a guy in this thread trying to tell me he’s not one of the best players in the world :lol:

People on this website do not watch football

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Already at 11 scorers in 4 games. And slide tackling while 6:1 in front

Eddy_JukeZ

Had a guy in this thread trying to tell me he’s not one of the best players in the world :lol:

People on this website do not watch football
This website has so many Neymar haters.

There were Spurs fans saying 3-4 years ago that Kane is a better player than him.

Amazing tbh.

KeanoMagicHat

Neymar this season :
4 official games, 7 goals, 6 assists.
Super player but honestly the PSG games this season are more like the Harlem Globetrotters. Last season they weren't really clicking or being coached that well but this season everything is working and the disparity in the league is showing. 17 to 3 in 3 games and to go former winners Lille and win 7-1 is sad for the league.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I think what he means is that usually, players like Neymar will get top30 even if they are not as good as other players (lets say midfielders) because they are flashy.

Doesn't shock me than Neymar isn't in the BO selection this year, he wasn't good for most of the season.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think what he means is that usually, players like Neymar will get top30 even if they are not as good as other players (lets say midfielders) because they are flashy.

Doesn't shock me than Neymar isn't in the BO selection this year, he wasn't good for most of the season.
I don't think that's true at all re the 'flashy'. What's the evidence for this? Are there even any 'flashy' players left in the modern game?

I don't think it matters whether Neymar is nominated or not, frankly. It wasn't his best season but he was injured for a good while.

Tyrion

Balon D'ors are always given to attacking players. Only Beckenbauer has more than one as a defender. Attacking midfielders, wingers and strikers always get it. Neymar is exactly the kind of player that the award typically goes to.

Yeah it's hilarious, isn't it? 30 players better than Neymar. When he's playing at his best, I doubt there is even one, let alone 30. Especially since Messi is getting on a bit now.
How often does he play at his best?

KeanoMagicHat

Yeah it's hilarious, isn't it? 30 players better than Neymar. When he's playing at his best, I doubt there is even one, let alone 30. Especially since Messi is getting on a bit now.
Availability, consistency, playing in big moments, these things matter when rating a player. He joined PSG at the same time Salah joined Liverpool.

Neymar: 148 games
Salah: 257 games

He's played less than 50% of Ligue 1 games since 2017, when the going has got tough, Mbappé has clearly been more important for PSG and is a better and more decisive player overall.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Balon D'ors are always given to attacking players. Only Beckenbauer has more than one as a defender. Attacking midfielders, wingers and strikers always get it. Neymar is exactly the kind of player that the award typically goes to.

Attackers get it? As it should be IMO.

How often does Neymar play at his best? He's been very consistent throughout his career for 3 different clubs and for Brazil. His main issue has been untimely injuries.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Availability, consistency, playing in big moments, these things matter when rating a player. He joined PSG at the same time Salah joined Liverpool.

Neymar: 148 games
Salah: 257 games

He's played less than 50% of Ligue 1 games since 2017, when the going has got tough, Mbappé has clearly been more important for PSG and is a better and more decisive player overall.
No

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Neymar is clearly a far better player overall... when he's in shape. But does it mean anything when he's almost never in shape? Probably not. So yeah, for more than 2 years MBappé has been the most important player for PSG, hands down.

Tyrion

Attackers get it? As it should be IMO.

How often does Neymar play at his best? He's been very consistent throughout his career for 3 different clubs and for Brazil. His main issue has been untimely injuries.
It shouldn't. Liverpool barely finished top 4 with their defenders injured. Man City lost games when players like Fernandinho and Kompany got injured. Even with title winning attackers, we were much better with Rio and Vidic at the back.

I dont see why his injuries would stop if he came to United.

TsuWave

Neymar even when not at his best is still one of the best players in the world. He’s been a top3, at worst top5, player his whole career so I don’t see the point you’re trying to make here.

Would immediately be the best player at United and the league if he ever touched down on these shores.

Everything else is noise.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Neymar even when not at his best is still one of the best players in the world. He’s been a top3, at worst top5, player his whole career so I don’t see the point you’re trying to make here.
I love Neymar but for the past 2 season he was nowhere near top5 (except for a couple of games 2 years ago, like his masterclass against Bayern).

Tyrion

Would immediately be the best player at United and the league if he ever touched down on these shores.

Everything else is noise.
That would probably be the first time he's been the best player for his club side since he left Brazil given Messi and Mbappe have overshadowed him in Spain and France.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Neymar is clearly a far better player overall... when he's in shape. But does it mean anything when he's almost never in shape? Probably not. So yeah, for more than 2 years MBappé has been the most important player for PSG, hands down.
Never in shape but somehow still managed to score over 100 goals for PSG. And Barcelona. And Santos. And 74 for Brazil. In 119 games. A better ratio than Leo, Ronaldo, Lewa and whoever else you want to mention.

He's been injured a lot. Can't deny that but I'm not sure how that is his fault.