The New Official Republic of Ireland Football Thread

padzilla

Hipster
It will be a bit of a shame that we have missed out on Carsley but if he doesn't want to manage us then fair enough, can't lay that at the door of the FAI.

I would have thought Chris Hughton might have been a good shout but looks not to be.

It does seem deflating that a prolonged recruitment process looks likely to result in Chris Coleman getting the gig.

Makes you wonder who they interviewed

Fr. Todd Unctious

It will be a bit of a shame that we have missed out on Carsley but if he doesn't want to manage us then fair enough, can't lay that at the door of the FAI.

I would have thought Chris Hughton might have been a good shout but looks not to be.

It does seem deflating that a prolonged recruitment process looks likely to result in Chris Coleman getting the gig.

Makes you wonder who they interviewed

Given Ghana's performances at the AFCON probably for the best it's not. Think Chris's time would have been after Trap or O'Neill.

Do find some of the reaction to Coleman funny. If he was a Bosnian coach with a similar record and say getting Bosnia to a Euros semis with the likes of Dzecko he wouldn't get the level of criticsm Coleman is getting

padzilla

Hipster
Given Ghana's performances at the AFCON probably for the best it's not. Think Chris's time would have been after Trap or O'Neill.

Do find some of the reaction to Coleman funny. If he was a Bosnian coach with a similar record and say getting Bosnia to a Euros semis with the likes of Dzecko he wouldn't get the level of criticsm Coleman is getting
I think a lot of the issues around Coleman are due to his performances since leaving Wales.

Brophs

The One and Only
Coleman is a gamble due to his last three jobs and the fact his best days as a manager may be behind him. He’s infinitely preferable to the likes of Lennon, though. He’s done a fantastic job with a similar level team in the past and that has to be worth something.

But the main concern for me is that he’s not really someone who you’d associate with playing good football. With the level of players we have you’d imagine it will be quite pragmatic fare and even though Kenny didn’t work out, that’s not to say the idea itself was wrong.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It does seem that rather than identifying the best manager for the players we have, the style we want and the results that are realistic for us to achieve, we have gone "who is affordable that won't say no". Which is maybe understandable, except also our top target under those criteria was someone who did in fact say no.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So, apparently it is going to be O'Shea interim manager. They want to wait for Carsley or Barry. Carsley situation is complicated because the FAI want the new manager to be based in Ireland but Carsley has a child with special needs and is not keen on relocating. Barry could become available with Tuchel likely to be sacked at Bayern. Heard it from a friend of a friend. Could be nonsense.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
So, apparently it is going to be O'Shea interim manager. They want to wait for Carsley or Barry. Carsley situation is complicated because the FAI want the new manager to be based in Ireland but Carsley has a child with special needs and is not keen on relocating. Barry could become available with Tuchel likely to be sacked at Bayern. Heard it from a friend of a friend. Could be nonsense.
I wouldn't be adverse to that scenario. Although obviously, I don't trust any mate of yours, Kid.

Brophs

The One and Only
I presume it’s a good sign for Irish football that the vast majority of managers bring ruled out have absolutely no hope of getting a job at any sort of level anywhere else.

Gee Male

Hard to see where they go from here, and hard to see who would want to be an obvious third choice.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Withnail

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/202...tting-closer-as-hunt-for-new-manager-goes-on/

Becoming tedious at this stage. I swear to god if it ends up being someome stupid at the end of all this Canham and Hill should be run out of town. Prepared to hold fire for the moment to see if it is Carsley or they pull an unlikely rabbit out of the hat a la Trap. (I suspect the latter is unlikely all the same)
It seems like nobody wants the job and I wouldn't really blame them.

Brophs

The One and Only
It is with deep regret and no amount of surprise that I must inform you all that the FAI are at it again. Thread is detailing the hearing.

Brophs

The One and Only
Hill might not survive this. Same as it ever was.

Brophs

The One and Only
All they needed was a Solskjaer appointment. Vibes, openness, nothing like the last guy. But they even ballsed that up.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Showing this to my kids tonight, one of my very first proper memories was driving up O’Connell St that evening. Probably the night that got me into football. Really hope they get to experience something like it soon but we’re miles off it’s not even funny anymore.

Red00012

Yet another disgraceful display. Exactly the level of player i expected from someone who's played bottom of the EPL/Top of The championship. Loves missing a sitter.
Saving Celtic again today :lol:

Red00012

5pm on a Saturday can't see that being a problem at all :lol:

Not a chance that stays like that. I'd guess brought forward to 2pm after dicussions with the relevant stakeholders i.e. the Guards
It’s not the 80/90’s anymore.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Young Sam Curtis on the bench for Sheffield United today. He may get minutes between now and end of the season - amazing to see the direct jump from League of Ireland a couple of months ago.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Saving Celtic again today :lol:
Took his goals well thank feck. After watching atrocious display after atrocious display from him for the past few weeks and missing sitter after sitter I was starting to think he was even worse than i thought. We've resorted to hoofball tactics with this lump. Thankfully they worked yesterday