The Overlap | Rooney Picks His England Team! | Fan Debate Euros Special

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Yup, every single time without fail. I love the guy but he really does dig himself unnecessarily large holes at times.

@Gabriel Djemba-Bebe
Id say the reason he gets more attention that other pundits is because people DO listen to him and he is literally eveywhre. I mean he’s got two full blown shows on sky where he basically talks and gives his opinion on football related matter.
Jermaine Jenas is on BT Sport, Match of the Day and the fecking One Show. Micah Richards is literally everywhere. But we shouldn't hold them to the same standards as Neville because Neville comes across as more intelligent? The level of outrage he seems to provoke for daring to have an opinion is mad, especially from United fans. We seem to hate on our ex players more than any other fanbases. This is a guy who called out the Glazers and has repeatedly put the spotlight on them when no one else in punditry was, and yet he still gets stick for not doing it sooner.

Ludens the Red

Jermaine Jenas is on BT Sport, Match of the Day and the fecking One Show. Micah Richards is literally everywhere. But we shouldn't hold them to the same standards as Neville because Neville comes across as more intelligent? The level of outrage he seems to provoke for daring to have an opinion is mad, especially from United fans. We seem to hate on our ex players more than any other fanbases. This is a guy who called out the Glazers and has repeatedly put the spotlight on them when no one else in punditry was, and yet he still gets stick for not doing it sooner.
Come on man. Micah Richards and Jermaine Jenas do not offer, give or are given the same platform to express complex football views as Neville is.
Richards is more or less the comedy piece and I don’t think even Jermaine Jenas listens to Jermaine Jenas.
I actually defend Neville a lot on here especially relating to matters on United. But he does have this tendency to be overblown and overcommit to his own opinions.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Come on man. Micah Richards and Jermaine Jenas do not offer, give or are given the same platform to express complex football views as Neville is.
Richards is more or less the comedy piece and I don’t think even Jermaine Jenas listens to Jermaine Jenas.
I actually defend Neville a lot on here especially relating to matters on United. But he does have this tendency to be overblown and overcommit to his own opinions.
The bolded bit seems to be what drives a lot of this outrage towards him. He has the audacity to talk about things that go on outside of the football pitch and at boardroom level, and because some of us disagree with elements of what he says, then he gets compared to a bog standard taxi driver.

I may not wholly agree with everything he's ever said, but when he's on my tv, I'm far less likely to mute it than I am with most other pundits. Low bar, I know. But as a United legend and reasonably intelligent bloke, I'm all for him being given plenty of airtime.

Frank Grimes

Zero sympathy for Everton, they broke financial regulations and got a deserved points deduction.
Had they been deducted last season they would be in the Championship now. Probably the ideal season too so they should be fine. I like Everton as a club but not sure what they are protesting for.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
The bolded bit seems to be what drives a lot of this outrage towards him. He has the audacity to talk about things that go on outside of the football pitch and at boardroom level, and because some of us disagree with elements of what he says, then he gets compared to a bog standard taxi driver.

I may not wholly agree with everything he's ever said, but when he's on my tv, I'm far less likely to mute it than I am with most other pundits. Low bar, I know. But as a United legend and reasonably intelligent bloke, I'm all for him being given plenty of airtime.
He needs to slap his thighs more and pronounce things badly. The odd "come on, you know what I meeeeeeeean" wouldn't go amiss!

Ole'sattheWheel

Latest episode was ok. Abit annoying how they had to stop just as they were getting into the topic of dodgy shirt sponsors, which imo is a far greater issue than the affiliate club loan stuff they spent most of their time with Ornstein talking about.

cyberman

Ronnie is a very woe is me player / person for a long time now. His post game interviews are as if somebody died as he describes how he, as a reigning world champion for a lot of it , can’t blow people away anymore

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really liked this one. It's a shame Wright isn't on Sky as a pundit, he has good chemistry with Keane and I like them together.

Nickelodeon

Fan of the show, but not a fan of the segment where they did the 'Keep, Last Straw, Ditch' segment for our squad and manager. Seems particularly cheap and a bit low for a show of this calibre.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Fan of the show, but not a fan of the segment where they did the 'Keep, Last Straw, Ditch' segment for our squad and manager. Seems particularly cheap and a bit low for a show of this calibre.
It did sound a bit harsh but a fair segment to make considering the state of your squad. There is only Chelsea who could be compared in terms of the number of "?" above the players head. But they have youth on their side at least.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, agreed it came across very cheap

Nickelodeon

It did sound a bit harsh but a fair segment to make considering the state of your squad. There is only Chelsea who could be compared in terms of the number of "?" above the players head. But they have youth on their side at least.
Not really, no. It consisted of a lot of biases that people who don't watch United regularly possess. For ex: Lindelof has shown that he's a decent enough 3rd/4th choice CB who does well when called upon and is not really going to be our first choice if others are fit. But they made it seem like an obvious ditch. Similarly, another biased view was on Rashford, when one of them (Carra or Wright, can't recall) said that they would like to see him under another manager. So Rashford had his best ever season under Ten Hag and when he stops performing abruptly, something that he's done under other managers as well, they want to test him out under a new manager again.

Reason I said that this was cheap is because both the segment and the analysis level was of a clickbaity Sportsbible type publication which was full of pre-conceived notions. And that came of as surprising because usually the opinions across other football topics is quite measured and rarely of such poor quality.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Not really, no. It consisted of a lot of biases that people who don't watch United regularly possess. For ex: Lindelof has shown that he's a decent enough 3rd/4th choice CB who does well when called upon and is not really going to be our first choice if others are fit. But they made it seem like an obvious ditch. Similarly, another biased view was on Rashford, when one of them (Carra or Wright, can't recall) said that they would like to see him under another manager. So Rashford had his best ever season under Ten Hag and when he stops performing abruptly, something that he's done under other managers as well, they want to test him out under a new manager again.

Reason I said that this was cheap is because both the segment and the analysis level was of a clickbaity Sportsbible type publication which was full of pre-conceived notions. And that came of as surprising because usually the opinions across other football topics is quite measured and rarely of such poor quality.
I meant the question is valid. The various answers they give are not very surprising and clearly made to fire up opinions on social media.

SirSean

As someone who hasn't witness these opinions from Neville, would you care to share one or two? I find his opinions and insights rather spot on.

Ludens the Red

As someone who hasn't witness these opinions from Neville, would you care to share one or two? I find his opinions and insights rather spot on.
Well managerial changes to start with. He’s consistently adamant United shouldn’t be sacking managers because “it didn’t work before”. Meanwhile at Salford where Neville makes the majority of the decisions he has a similar managerial sack rate to the Glazers.

Secondly, state/sugar daddy ownership. He was massively for it, praising city for this and that, being ran wonderfully, helped Manchester blah blah blah. Saying that it should be allowed, teams should be able to spend what they want if the owners have the money.
Then the next minute he’s shouting from the rooftops about proper financial management in football and teams not being able to spend excessively to prevent clubs going under.
He took a massive political stance on workers pay etc but then it turns out staff at his hotel/restaraunt get paid minimum wage.

I like Neville and I will always listen to him but he does fall foul of inconsistency over and over again.

Spark

Stam was my favourite player too. Madness to think we only had him for three years.

Frank Grimes

Keane didn't miss a trick to have a go at Ferguson for selling players but he himself had a go at Stam in his (first) book saying he wasn't as good as made out and wasn't a top defender (or words to that effect).

Last edited:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The BTS bits at the beginning of the episode as the five lads are just chilling and shooting the breeze are fantastic. Keane is pure box office and Neville’s persistence in chasing him to get Keane on the weekly show is one of the shrewdest decisions he’s made.

Phenomenal stuff and the best football content out there by miles.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still gutted we sold Jaap, would surely have won 4 in a row. No matter what Ferguson says it was definitely over the book.
That was the suspicion. But then he failed a drugs test not a huge time after, so you wonder if that was part of it too.

Shady

What did he actually write in the book that made Ferguson so mad? Can't be the Neville thing only? Vaguely remember something about diving.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What did he actually write in the book that made Ferguson so mad? Can't be the Neville thing only? Vaguely remember something about diving.
Didn't he mention something about being tapped up. Most players probably are, but you are not supposed to tell the world about it.

Redstain

Jaap actually makes some good points in identifying the issues at United at present with Eth. I think Erik has quotes saying Pep underestimated the physicality of the English league and they point that out about certain players coming from the Dutch league lacking the ability and mentally to adapt.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I laughed when Keane said that it didn’t matter how many PL titles he had won and Carragher said it mattered to Pep

kaku06

Vulgarian
So you were fine when we sold Jaap Stam?

Of all the fallouts and the players fergie sold. This one angered me the most. I absolutely adore Sir Alex but the man could be so petty at times. Oh how I wish to have seen Stam and Rio as our CB partnership. Add signing Dinho in 03 too and we become scary, THE BENCHMARK in Europe for years to come.

Josh 76

Still gutted we sold Jaap, would surely have won 4 in a row. No matter what Ferguson says it was definitely over the book.
His form dipped alot in his final season (from the high standards he had set himself). I think Fergie did say he doubted he would be the same player after his injury. But he proved him wrong in the end.

On his day, Stam was the best centre back this club has ever had in my life time.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
A funny one to finish the year ! Roy & Wrighty are brilliant :D