The Overlap | United Embarrassed, Forest’s Tweet & Liverpool’s Next Boss | Stick to Football EP 27

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Honestly, Stick to Football gets a bit boring when you watch an entire video. The banter between the guys is monotonous and repetitive. Jill feels like she doesn't fit into this group; the chemistry she has with them isn't natural except with Roy. This show is totally dependent on the guest. Neville, Carragher and Wright are rather dull personalities individually.

The Rest is Football is much more entertaining with the 3 guys constantly roasting each other and having a good laugh.

This might be slightly controversial but I think Footballers are a bit boring and don't generally have the best personalities off the pitch. This is why those fan channels are so popular and get views consistently. The likes of Rory Jennings might be absolutely clueless about the sport but they are funny and entertaining.

My favourite pundit in UK is Simon Jordan. Doesn't always go with the popular opinion, extremely articulate and brutally harsh on the players which makes it hilarious.

IRELANDUNITED

Just finished the latest episode of The Overlap, my god Jill Scott is insufferable. How many times during the super six predictions did she need to say City were going to win 10-0 against us this weekend, we get it Jill, City good, United bad, very observant of you, round of applause for you. You could tell the rest of the panel were getting embarrassed by her repeating the same thing over and over again.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Ole on Stick To Football tomorrow.

sugar_kane

I'm kind of surprised how Sky Sports are cool with their stars appearing on this show given how it completely debunks the evil Roy Keane caricature they've spent years developing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm kind of surprised how Sky Sports are cool with their stars appearing on this show given how it completely debunks the evil Roy Keane caricature they've spent years developing.
They've been softening Keane for years, his comedy duo stuff with Micah Richards is an example of that. His shtick is seeming cynical and ruthless and then surprising you with something funny. It works well most of the time.

JogaBonitoRooney

They need to try get someone non United. Getting repetitive now. I'm assuming they don't get Henry, Richards, Shearer, Lineker because it's a Sky show?

Would like to see a good English speaking foreigner like Fabregas, Drogba, Robben on it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sure it does; shows a softer side, but everyone knows when he’s triggered and serious, which isn’t an act. In fact, they play on how far he can be pushed before he goes off on one.

The show fleshes him out, but I don’t think it detracts from the package.

Roy’s obviously not in the same stratosphere as Tyson, but it’s a very similar theme - Mike’s all jokes and jovial until he switches and unsettles people, or at the least, they know not to then overstep the mark. Similar theme on a much smaller scale with Roy, I feel.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It seems like it's Gary who gets all the guests. Surely Wrighty can use his to get someone like Wenger on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The story about Rooney walking to U19 practice with a cider and a cigarette and getting caught by his manager was utterly hilarious. :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Les Ferdinand has aged quite well. Looks really good there. Great striker.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Good on them for having a non United player as the main guest.
Ah yes, unlike Eddie Hearn, Craig Bellamy, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Rory Mcllroy and Frank Lampard, those United legends :D

It's a shame Ian Wright doesn't use his Arsenal connections to get some of their players (or Wenger) on the show.

tomaldinho1

I enjoy the non United guests a lot to be honest, feel like you hear more diverse stories and it's more interesting. I guess they'll never have Shearer on as Keane hates him, so Ferdinand ticks the box from that Newcastle team and has had a great and varied career in football. Would be great if they got one of the Arsenal Invincibles on who has a bit of banter like Parlour and saw the pre Wenger years as well. Reckon Ljundberg would be a very interesting guest. Not sure it would be that great to just get someone on like Henry as it would be repeat stories everyone knows and then some chat about Barca which has been done to death. Can't help but think Pique will be next though as he's on the interview trail right now it seems for his football league.

I'm still holding out for them to try and get someone like Del Piero or Pirlo on who speak English and are genuine superstars from their era.

iHicksy

I enjoy the non United guests a lot to be honest, feel like you hear more diverse stories and it's more interesting. I guess they'll never have Shearer on as Keane hates him, so Ferdinand ticks the box from that Newcastle team and has had a great and varied career in football. Would be great if they got one of the Arsenal Invincibles on who has a bit of banter like Parlour and saw the pre Wenger years as well. Reckon Ljundberg would be a very interesting guest. Not sure it would be that great to just get someone on like Henry as it would be repeat stories everyone knows and then some chat about Barca which has been done to death. Can't help but think Pique will be next though as he's on the interview trail right now it seems for his football league.

I'm still holding out for them to try and get someone like Del Piero or Pirlo on who speak English and are genuine superstars from their era.
Thankfully! The guy is the most boring human being in the world, after owen.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Ljungberg is doing his own thing with swedish media and has an upcoming interview/podcast with Wenger. But he did come on MNF when it was only Carragher, he might not be a fan of the Neville/United family :angel:

Bobski

Les Ferdinand was a hell of a striker at his peak, superb in the air, moved very well at pace, struck the ball beautifully off both feet, and more than decent with his back to goal. Another one who didn't get the opportunities his ability and performances merited at international level.

I think he is right on the question on modern strikers, not just English ones, Henry (and Robben to a lesser extent) really was the one to show just how effective a striker playing from wide could be as a goalscorer, didn't have to play with their back to goal getting thumped by CB's, could avoid chasing the full back defensively as well if the goals kept flowing, amazing role really. Any forward with the mobility and pace necessarily would want it, most of the guys we call wingers now would have been playing in a front 2 25 years ago.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The best episode yet. That bit about his role at QPR was absolutely fascinating.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The best episode yet. That bit about his role at QPR was absolutely fascinating.
Agree. I liked the bit where he spoke about trying to make the managerial appointment as unbiased as possible by just looking at CVS with no name/face.

Really want to know who that entitled player is too!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah me too. Was interesting to hear from another viewpoint for once, as all we usually get is the managers perspective.
Agree. I liked the bit where he spoke about trying to make the managerial appointment as unbiased as possible by just looking at CVS with no name/face.

Really want to know who that entitled player is too!
Found this a bit awkward because wasn’t Shaun Wright Phillips one of the ones taking the piss out of QPR at the time?

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
Honestly, Stick to Football gets a bit boring when you watch an entire video. The banter between the guys is monotonous and repetitive. Jill feels like she doesn't fit into this group; the chemistry she has with them isn't natural except with Roy. This show is totally dependent on the guest. Neville, Carragher and Wright are rather dull personalities individually.

The Rest is Football is much more entertaining with the 3 guys constantly roasting each other and having a good laugh.

This might be slightly controversial but I think Footballers are a bit boring and don't generally have the best personalities off the pitch. This is why those fan channels are so popular and get views consistently. The likes of Rory Jennings might be absolutely clueless about the sport but they are funny and entertaining.

My favourite pundit in UK is Simon Jordan. Doesn't always go with the popular opinion, extremely articulate and brutally harsh on the players which makes it hilarious.
Disagree with everything you've said here, especially about Simon Jordan, who is a clueless dolt.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wasn't really enjoyable watching/hearing them eat Nando's.

There's also too many voices in there, 6 people is overkill.
Yeah, it wasn't as good as it should have been really with him as a guest. More of the same stuff we have all heard before.

I guess the only interesting part for me was hearing about when he thought Moyes was out of depth and quashing the Jagielka video rumour!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I had no idea Rio to Chelsea was even thing back when he left West Ham. What a partnership Rio and Terry would have been for 10 years. What a shame. It was in 2000 though, so every chance he could still end up at United as we had no means at the time to fight off a 30m bid had United come for him.

pacifictheme

Ha ha ha ha ha Simon Jordan. Top stuff.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I like Simon Jordan, wish I was as good as him in articulating bullshit, I might've made it far in life :(

pacifictheme

As for the overlap I like when they have an ex United player on there, I'm halfway through the rio episode and I have liked it so far.

I do think Wrighty and Jill are a bit redundant though

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Post retirement from the sport I feel Rio's been on just about every platform that will talk about the game and I come away each time feeling I've heard his anecdotes and views on the sport all before.

Don't get me wrong he's a good guy but this is Abit of a easy choice for the Overlap producers to bring in Rio.

Last week's show with Les was far more entertaining and insightful.

And, yeah, the panel is Abit overcrowded.