The Overlap - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No hard feelings. He cares deeply about the club and gave it everything he had. He was never going to the manager we needed either way and like all our mangers the shitty structure did not help. It was a mistake to hire him as full time manager but I don’t really hold anything against him.

Where can one watch the full version?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He first says how our recruitment is very detailed, even too much sometimes. He says how our scouts, coach and CEO analyse every single detail before signing player.
And then he says that biggest problem with Sancho was that he (as Rashford) likes to play on the left.

So why the hell we chased him for two years then?

Rojofiam

Don’t put that evil on me. Not saying that’s all he said, but straight from his mouth. Listen around 40 min
I know, but wasn't that his first meeting with the team when he arrived in December 2018? He almost stayed for 3 more years after that

Mike Smalling

He first says how our recruitment is very detailed, even too much sometimes. He says how our scouts, coach and CEO analyse every single detail before signing player.
And then he says that biggest problem with Sancho was that he (as Rashford) likes to play on the left.

Yeah, doesn't make a ton of sense. It also felt like he left something out about the whole Sancho situation. Essentially he just ended up saying, "Yeah, it didn't work out". Not entirely convincing.

Suv666

it was Rashford and McT who didn’t want to play the half against Watford right? They’re the ones that got subbed.

The Urban Goose

Yeah, doesn't make a ton of sense. It also felt like he left something out about the whole Sancho situation. Essentially he just ended up saying, "Yeah, it didn't work out". Not entirely convincing.
To be fair, Sancho maybe isn't the best player to use for this argument, he clearly has the tools to be a success on the right but because it's not his personal preferred position, he probably didn't make much of an effort to do it well.

Any good winger can play on either wing and make it work - Giggs, Robben, Ribery, Pires, even Garnacho. Sancho probably sulked and went on his playstation until 4am just so he could play himself on the left to prove himself correct.

SirAF

Ageist
Great interview as usual, absolutely love the banter :keano:

Keane when Ole's talking about Haaland "what you looking at me for?" :lol:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Great interview as usual, absolutely love the banter :keano:

Keane when Ole's talking about Haaland "what you looking at me for?" :lol:
Also, when Keane just didn't turn up for the Bellingham club tour. :lol:

simmee

A lot of focus on the Ronaldo stuff, but he's gone and so has Ole. More interesting stuff about players crying and demanding to be taken off vs Watford at half time, refusing to talk to press, refusing captaincy... aren't those lads still here?

Ronaldo didn't work, we all know that. But some of this stuff he's said relevant to the players in the dressing room today is scandalous. I honestly don't get how any of the Ronaldo stuff is the lead here. Didn't work, big ego. If you're finding that out for the first time then welcome to planet earth.

The fact we have two players who burst into tears and asked to come off during a game still here, is surely the biggest thing to emerge.
Just looked up who was taken off at half time, Rashford and McTominay. McTominay makes sense since it was for VdB and we needed goals but Rashford threw in the towel by the sound of it. He was obviously also one of those that refused to do pre-match interviews and very likely the one who refused to captain certain games.

It's getting more and more obvious that Rashford is a bad influence in the dressing room on top of having a shit mentality. I really get the feeling that Ole wants to throw him under the bus but does not want to/is not allowed to namedrop.

The Urban Goose

Just looked up who was taken off at half time, Rashford and McTominay. McTominay makes sense since it was for VdB and we needed goals but Rashford threw in the towel by the sound of it. He was obviously also one of those that refused to do pre-match interviews and very likely the one who refused to captain certain games.

It's getting more and more obvious that Rashford is a bad influence in the dressing room on top of having a shit mentality. I really get the feeling that Ole wants to throw him under the bus but does not want to/is not allowed to namedrop.
Agree. We need to feck Rashford off ASAP.

Mike Smalling

To be fair, Sancho maybe isn't the best player to use for this argument, he clearly has the tools to be a success on the right but because it's not his personal preferred position, he probably didn't make much of an effort to do it well.

Any good winger can play on either wing and make it work - Giggs, Robben, Ribery, Pires, even Garnacho. Sancho probably sulked and went on his playstation until 4am just so he could play himself on the left to prove himself correct.
Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. If Ole was being brutally honest, I imagine he would have something to say about his mentality, but it's not really right for him to do so. When it came to specific players, he only talked positively about them, as I recall.

simmee

it was Rashford and McT who didn’t want to play the half against Watford right? They’re the ones that got subbed.
Since he namedropped McT as always giving 7-8/10 performances, always being up for pre-match stuff etc. If he would have demanded to be subbed in Ole's last game I doubt Ole would have such a good perception of him to be honest. It feels more like throwing Rashford under the bus but being too nice/not allowed to namedrop him.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Cheers

@Himannv was kind enough to share the link. Wasn’t showing up on a YouTube for some reason. Ole came across well in the snippets I saw earlier.
Ah, that’s odd. Apologies, would have sent the link if I realised, came up straight away when I searched last night!

Glad you found it, is a good watch

Alpha 1

Definitely not, if for no other other reason that he hasn't been a manager for well over a decade. I don't think he is coming back to it now, and he would likely be quite rusty. He has even hinted at it a few times on the podcast, that he is groving pretty comfortable in the media role.
Agreeable points. But if he had a job outside England at a reasonably big club and succeeded, I'd give it a go. He was Ferguson's representative on the pitch and in training. He expects high standards and comes across as vert sensible.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Since he namedropped McT as always giving 7-8/10 performances, always being up for pre-match stuff etc. If he would have demanded to be subbed in Ole's last game I doubt Ole would have such a good perception of him to be honest. It feels more like throwing Rashford under the bus but being too nice/not allowed to namedrop him.
Still possible that McT had a reason to ask for being subbed off in that match and Ole going with it without hard feelings exactly because he knows that McT would always give his best whenever he can. So if McT asks to be subbed off there really has to be something wrong with him and that's nothing to be angry about.

Robbie Boy

No hard feelings. He cares deeply about the club and gave it everything he had. He was never going to the manager we needed either way and like all our mangers the shitty structure did not help. It was a mistake to hire him as full time manager but I don’t really hold anything against him.
Yep, spot on.

TheGame

Never has that been said or hinted, people are just making these assumptions here and on social media. People will just use the words to feed their own narrative just as you have done.

SteveCoppellFan

Ole is just too nice, you can tell he is holding back from telling a few truth bombs.

Its not really in his nature to throw anyone under the bus.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
United dominated City so hard at Ethiad in one of the games there its pure luck they werent under 4-0 at Half time. The lows were low but the peaks were title winning levels. Its a shame there was never enough consistency to get it done.

Loved the bit about Fred, McTominay and Matic. For all their faults at least they would put in a shift until their legs give out.

The buzz when Ronnie came home was absolutely surreal. I dont think I had felt that good about supporting the club since Fergies days. Pure elation.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ronaldo was a roaring success compared to almost every other signing we’ve made in the last 10 years. Issue was his ego is such that when he works out we’re shite he wants out. Combine that with the fact ETH didn’t want him and it ended sour.

I don’t believe we were some up and coming super team then he came in and put the cat amongst the pigeons. What did Greenwood’s antics or Martial forgetting how to play football have to do with him? Ole was right to take a punt on him elevating us back to the top. He was of course the last remaining player from a success era we could have brought back. Or so we thought…(Evans).

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
These were the players from his perspective who were doing what they were consistently and giving him 7/10 on the pitch. You can disagree with his view on their performances but hard to argue with the logic.
He didn't mean performance, but hard work.
They always gave it their all, he didn't say/mean they had 7-8/10 performances in every game.

Seems like quite a few on here misunderstood this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. If Ole was being brutally honest, I imagine he would have something to say about his mentality, but it's not really right for him to do so. When it came to specific players, he only talked positively about them, as I recall.
It doesn't make sense.
If we go in every detail while signing player then we perfectly knew (feck, even us fans knew that fact about Sancho) what is his best position.
So why chase a right winger who is not natural on that position? Surely, when you are going to spend over 100 mil (with all fees and salary), you must be sure that he is the one for that position.

Dion

This is so dumb.

Rashford didn't start the Villareal game 3 days after this and only came on when we were facing elimination and needed a goal after 66 minutes.

Eddy_JukeZ

Competition for places is always good.

The bigger problem was Sancho's prior discretions that everyone at the club ignored.

Eddy_JukeZ

United dominated City so hard at Ethiad in one of the games there its pure luck they werent under 4-0 at Half time. The lows were low but the peaks were title winning levels. Its a shame there was never enough consistency to get it done.

Loved the bit about Fred, McTominay and Matic. For all their faults at least they would put in a shift until their legs give out.

The buzz when Ronnie came home was absolutely surreal. I dont think I had felt that good about supporting the club since Fergies days. Pure elation.
I mean, this implies we actually competed for titles, but we didn't.

And we never really showed title winning form for a long duration. The peaks were often stretches of 3-4 games or certain halves.

And I remember that game at the Etihad you referenced. The 1st half was spectacular. We soaked up pressure and destroyed them in transition. The 2nd half was pretty poor and we couldn't get out of our own half. Pretty much sums us up under Ole. We were never good enough in possession to match how good we were in transition.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Agree. We need to feck Rashford off ASAP.
Rashford played through numerous injuries (shoulder, back) under Ole, to his own detriment. I don't think his commitment under Ole can come under question.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It doesn't make sense.
If we go in every detail while signing player then we perfectly knew (feck, even us fans knew that fact about Sancho) what is his best position.
So why chase a right winger who is not natural on that position? Surely, when you are going to spend over 100 mil (with all fees and salary), you must be sure that he is the one for that position.
Obviously I don't know what happened from the clubs perspective, but from the outside looking in I think most fans were looking at it as Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood rotating between the two wide positions, so Sancho would have played either side depending on who the other winger was. At Dortmund he played both sides fairly equally and was good at both (more goals when on the left, more assists when on the right). I haven't watched the interview yet, but I expect when first signing him that Sancho said he was happy to play both. That ability to play both sides 'should' have given us great variety and options.

Rashford left, Sancho right, Greenwood on the bench.
Sancho left, Greenwood right, Rashford on the bench.
Rashford left, Greenwood right, Sancho on the bench.
Sometimes all three playing, with one of Rashford or Greenwood at striker.

Unfortunately Sancho arrived in England, struggled badly and then probably blamed it on playing more often on right.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I mean, this implies we actually competed for titles, but we didn't.

And we never really showed title winning form for a long duration. The peaks were often stretches of 3-4 games or certain halves.

And I remember that game at the Etihad you referenced. The 1st half was spectacular. We soaked up pressure and destroyed them in transition. The 2nd half was pretty poor and we couldn't get out of our own half. Pretty much sums us up under Ole. We were never good enough in possession to match how good we were in transition.
It doesn't imply we actually competed for titles. It implies that we went on runs that made it look like we could.

Performances might not have always been there but Ole absolutely did manage us through long runs of results that would constitute "title-winning form", and would have had us in the title-picture (although not necessarily winning it) if they weren't bookended by a string of really poor results.

First 16 games started with 12 unbeaten and his record was won 12, drew 2, lost 2. Extrapolated over 38 games, that's 90 points.

First full season ended with a run of 14 unbeaten, 9 wins and 5 draws. Extrapolated over 38 games, that's 87 points.

Second full season had a run of 13 unbeaten, a single defeat, then another run of 14 unbeaten, with a record of 18 wins, 9 draws, 1 loss. Extrapolated over 38 games, that's 86 points (which is how many City won the league with that season).

The only other double-figure unbeaten runs we've had since Fergie were 2016/17 (when we finished 6th) when Mourinho took us on a run of 25 unbeaten (13 wins and 12 draws, extrapolating to 78 points), and van Gaal's run of 10 unbeaten (7 wins, 3 draws) in 2014/15.

Zed 101

Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole and even Ragnick were all thrown under the bus by players just downing tools, for some reason despite the shite we have played this season the majority of players are still trying to play, not sure what the difference is with ETH, Mourinho and Ole would have definitely gotten longer had the players stayed on board.

Oranges038

I enjoyed that epsiode.

Found it interesting what he was saying about trying to take the next step towards being more dominant in terms of controlling games. If he had to have sorted out the midfield with players who could actually control and pass a ball and dictate play, he might have stood a chance. But it was never going to work with the midfield options at the club.

That's been the biggest let down at the club over the last 10-15 years, totally ignoring the key area of the pitch that is probably the biggest determining factor in whether or not you will be successful.

DeGea

Loved the episode - no wonder it is still #1 trending clip on Youtube 24 hours in. The behind the scenes bit at the beginning was fantastic and heart warming.

My take on it is that the current gen footballers do not have the personality to manage the mental aspect of the game. This is a big problem now due to better teams around you, social media etc2.

Recruitment almost need to prioritise personality and character more in some situations.

Ole will forever be a legend in my heart. He has the right ideas of how he wanted us to play, but he probably did not have the finesse and understanding of the finer tactical details required a la Pep/Klopp to get them there.

I actually think even SAF would find it hard to win the league in the current era (controversial opinion to some). It has changed so much.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Loved the episode - no wonder it is still #1 trending clip on Youtube 24 hours in. The behind the scenes bit at the beginning was fantastic and heart warming.

My take on it is that the current gen footballers do not have the personality to manage the mental aspect of the game. This is a big problem now due to better teams around you, social media etc2.

Recruitment almost need to prioritise personality and character more in some situations.

Ole will forever be a legend in my heart. He has the right ideas of how he wanted us to play, but he probably did not have the finesse and understanding of the finer tactical details required a la Pep/Klopp to get them there.

I actually think even SAF would find it hard to win the league in the current era (controversial opinion to some). It has changed so much.
And this contradicts the later part of your post. Current gen would love having a manager like SAF. A legend who has seen it all. Who can be their father figure, someone highly respected and can guide them. Unlike most managers nowadays who arent very proven themselves.

Mainoonited

Great interview, always loved Ole, that goal in the CL final will have him in my good books forever and ever.