The Overlap - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Catch

i think Ole said he asked who wanted to play eg...come on v watford, not hands up who wanted to carry on playing. dont think the suggestion was the subbed players Mctom and rashford had said they didnt want to play. only of the players to come on, he asked who wants it

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It probably matters more because we've got a bunch of players that can't be arsed but how much Ole loves Manchester United comes across so much, not just in this but in everything he's ever said or done with the club. Just rare to have that connection.

Even if ultimately he and the team weren't good enough to get us back to the top, it was by far and away the nicest period post-SAF. Something just felt good about it. And the Ronaldo return was really sabotaged by using City as bait to get us to act and SAF reacting leaving Ole's hands tied even if he didn't want him but I can completely understand why we'd go get him regardless of having the knowledge that we'd screw the team building cause of the way Ronaldo needed to be accomodated plus that feeling against Newcastle, both pre, during and post game was about as high as I've felt with United since we lifted the title last.

Thank you Ole, for everything.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Very disturbing video to watch. The rationale behind certain decisions and the reluctance to fully grasp they were such bad decisions stood out.

SATA

No one asked why Keane had to drive for nine hours all the way to Norway when he could have just taken a plane and reach there in a flash?

Vidooq

The fact we had grown men CRYING because they were 2-0 down at halftime against Watford is truly shocking to me. We had our CB proudly posing in his wife's dress around the house. I don't get it. How do you expect to be taken seriously by the competition? Fibble minded squad. No wonder 4 coaches were not able to get a tune out of them.

Ludens the Red

In the 2020/2021 season Pogba started 21 times and had 5 sub appearances in the league that season. Matic had 12 with 18 sub appearances. They were not as injured as you remember that season.

First, I haven't forgotten what happened that a season. Second, I also don't need to revise my use of the word hindsight. For only hindsight bias can make anyone believe at 17 Bellingham would have got the 19 starts and 10 sub appearances he got for Dortmund with us in season 2020/2021.

Strange comment. Firstly Asking you questions your post raises has nothing to do with shifting goal posts.

Furthermore in league football Dan James played 914 minutes for us that season. Bellingham had 1705 for Dortmund that term (whoscored.com). A whopping 719 minutes more
youre being overly pedantic. We had injury problems and poor performance problems in the midfield during that entire period. I mean you’ve literally just said Paul Pogba who was our best midfield player at the time missed a quarter of league games. Combine this with fixture congestion and the constant whinging about our lacklustre midfield during this time it’s deffo not hindsight bias, it’s stating the obvious to say Bellingham would have actually got the minutes he wanted had we signed him.

Dan James played 2,290 league minutes in the 2019/2020 season. Don’t know why you’re talking about his 20/21 minutes. The original point was that Ole gave Dan James plenty of minutes in his first year here despite having only spent a season in the championship because apparently that was part of the reason ole didn’t sign Bellingham.

You know Mitten is the only journalist Ole has spoken to since he got the sack? Him and Ole just did a tour of India together. If anyone knows what happened, it's probably him,
Odd then than ole would say what he did on the overlap. But then maybe he didn’t mean it exactly like that. Regardless the tone of Mittens tweet is quite something.

Ole and Mitten are literally mates, they just went on a tour of India together. Maybe you need to wind your neck in?
I’d suggest winding your neck in, go and watch the overlap and listening to what Ole says on the piece and then reading the tweet mitten makes which is basically a complete contrast. Ole implies players put their hand up not wanting to play. Whether he didn’t mean it to come out like that nobody can guess.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No one asked why Keane had to drive for nine hours all the way to Norway when he could have just taken a plane and reach there in a flash?
He didn't drive to Norway, he drove within Norway, I'm also guessing where Ole lives is so small it doesn't have an airport or a train station

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has anyone asked Keane why he never criticised Ole, when he's criticised almost everyone else to do with the club?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
youre being overly pedantic.
I have simply restated to you statistical data. Its hardly my opinion.

We had injury problems and poor performance problems in the midfield during that entire period. I mean you’ve literally just said Paul Pogba who was our best midfield player at the time missed a quarter of league games. Combine this with fixture congestion and the constant whinging about our lacklustre midfield during this time it’s deffo not hindsight bias, it’s stating the obvious to say Bellingham would have actually got the minutes he wanted had we signed him.
I insist it was improbsble. I gave you the relevant statistics from the minutes of our midfield the season he joined Dortmund. Pogba didn't miss as many games as you thought, the season Bellingham joined Dortmund. Bruno, Scott and Fred hardly missed any. Matic missed few. I add Bruno because JB played ALL the midfield numbers at Dortmund.

There was no reason for United to promise JB aged 17, only with championship experience the game time he got at Dortmund. To do that we would have been straight up lying and JB and his camp knew it.

It's rather apparent on the issue if his possible playing time at United we won't see eye to eye and we can respectfully agree to disagree.

I’d suggest winding your neck in, go and watch the overlap and listening to what Ole says on the piece ....
I suggest you quit playing with the scissors and cut that crappy tone out. We wouldn't be having this discussion at all If I hadn't watched the entirety of Ole's overlap episode.

Dion

I’d suggest winding your neck in, go and watch the overlap and listening to what Ole says on the piece and then reading the tweet mitten makes which is basically a complete contrast. Ole implies players put their hand up not wanting to play. Whether he didn’t mean it to come out like that nobody can guess.
I'd suggest you actually go back and watch it, rather than going off headlines.

"The team talk at half time was about whoever wants to play can play, get your hand up if you don't want to play, made a few changes, couple of the lads in tears and I had a go (at the match). And after the game I knew".

Nowhere in that does Solskjaer say players asked not to play. He says he asked players if they wanted to play and if they didn't, then made a couple of changes. The "implication" is whatever spin you wanted to put on it, because DvB saying he wants to play and no player asking to be subbed is just applicable as a player asking to be taken off and nobody wanting to come on. The statement is inherently ambiguous.

The Mitten tweet doesn't contrast anything, it completely clarifies what actually happened and removes any ambiguity from what happened.

I have no idea why you have chosen to die on this ridiculous hill. Mitten isn't the one who needs to wind his neck in, he actually speaks to people who were there. You do.

NewUser777

Some will say he was the best by virtue of him being Ole, which is fair enough. However, Jose was clearly more successful but happened to be a monumental prick. @RedSky recently had some stats up, and Jose's record here wasn't actually too bad. He would be remembered far more fondly if it weren't for his antics.

To say Ole was 'the best' is incorrect and subjective. He's probably my favourite as he's obviously a legend and he clearly had the clubs best interests at heart. Beyond that, he's an average manager who achieved more than I thought he could. Jose is clearly a better manager but I would take Ole ahead of him, due to Jose being a self-serving cnut. Jose was still the better manager, though.
There is objectively and there is obviously.. Look at the players each had to their disposal. On tiny cup win doesn’t change anything. Safe to say both where done over by the club. And a bandwagon of fans..

Catch

he flew to oslo and then drove to oles house. he lives in the sticks, its not like driving on the M1

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
While ole was in India, some one did ask him who his favourite player in the current Utd side was, and the guy didn't even think for a second before he said "Mctominay". He went on to explain his logic that he is the most reliable guy and gives his all always. Understands the club, is humble, etc.

So, I'm quite sure McT was the one in tears, and by extension I'd say Rashy was in tears as well, and hence they were subbed off rather than them raising their hands up.

mintyred

Ole and Mitten are literally mates, they just went on a tour of India together. Maybe you need to wind your neck in?
If they are actually mates it’s a bit shady that he’s put this out there, as it makes ole look like a liar. But it doesn’t benefit him to lie at all so why would he?

Also, if he’s mates with a journalist then doesn’t that make him a suspect for the leaks?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If they are actually mates it’s a bit shady that he’s put this out there, as it makes ole look like a liar. But it doesn’t benefit him to lie at all so why would he?

Also, if he’s mates with a journalist then doesn’t that make him a suspect for the leaks?
Ffs

roseguy64

He's putting it out there to clarify things because it's caused people to have a go at McTominay and Rashford.

united for life

Great episode. Always a joy to see united legends sit and talk about the good old days. Ole, Roy and Gary sat there and laughed about how Ole and Roy fecked up in a champions league semifinal 25 years ago. They can do that since they have won so much and played for the shirt week in week out. Not sure what our current players will talk about 20+ years later.

I wish he was given more time at the club. Till the end of that season at least - as he said, things weren’t better during the second half of that season after him anyway. I still think he gave us the best football since sir Alex. Hearing him speak about the half time talk against watford is sad. players weren’t running anymore. players leaking what was happening in the dressing room.

some of the things he mentioned clearly show the issues we had, and still have, in terms of decision making. We spend a lot of money to sign players who do not fit our style of play, what the manager needs or what positions need to be strengthened. To name a few (some also after Ole left):

- an 18 month sancho transfer saga which ended with us paying 80 million to sign a player who prefers to play as a LW when we actually needed a RW.
- signing ronaldo 3-4 games into the season and then having to change things around to fit his style of play off the ball. Ole was very respectful and polite (as always) in the way he put it, but he was clear that it didn’t work out.
- a current example is us spending a fortune on mount, who is a good player, but is someone we don’t really need because we needed to sign a proper established CM.

good episode, I hope ole moves on now to good things as a manager. An absolute gentleman and a legend of the club.

Josep Dowling

A lot of fans hate on Ole but if I’m being honest it was the most enjoyable period of football we’ve had since Fergie retired. He nearly won a couple of trophies along the way. Our football during COVID with Rashford-Martial-Greenwood upfront was exciting.

Mistakes were made on recruitment yet again. Is that Ole’s fault? I believe he approved the signing of Amad but had no idea he cost £37m, that came out in the Athletic article. I still can’t understand whilst needing a RW we bought two youngsters for that position in January who still aren’t cemented into the squad now. Total cost was nearly £50m. Then in the following summer spend another £72m on a RW which preferred to play on the left. All whilst our central midfield was McFred.

The Haaland situation can’t be blamed on anyone but Raiola. He had his career path mapped out to maximise his and Alf’s agency fees. He will play for Real in 2/3 time.

Bellingham is more frustrating but he’s got his head switched on and smashing it at the biggest club in the world.

Dion

Not if you actually listen to what Ole said and realise it was ambiguous.

And it would be something if Ole was leaking his own team to a journalist who then leaked it to someone else...

mintyred

Not if you actually listen to what Ole said and realise it was ambiguous.

And it would be something if Ole was leaking his own team to a journalist who then leaked it to someone else...
Not really it contradicts what ole said completely.
Also having a friend as a journalist gives lots of opportunities to leak things even unintentionally.

JB7

Not really it contradicts what ole said completely.
Also having a friend as a journalist gives lots of opportunities to leak things even unintentionally.
Ole said he asked the players who wanted to play. Did he take two players off without putting anyone on? I know some of you aren’t the brightest but it’s pretty clear the context here is that players wanted to come on, not that players said they didn’t want to play.

mintyred

"The team talk at half time was about whoever wants to play can play, get your hand up if you don't want to play, made a few changes, couple of the lads in tears and I had a go (at the match). And after the game I knew".

Nowhere in that does Solskjaer say players asked not to play. He says he asked players if they wanted to play and if they didn't, then made a couple of changes. The "implication" is whatever spin you wanted to put on it, because DvB saying he wants to play and no player asking to be subbed is just applicable as a player asking to be taken off and nobody wanting to come on. The statement is inherently ambiguous.

The Mitten tweet doesn't contrast anything, it completely clarifies what actually happened and removes any ambiguity from what happened.

I have no idea why you have chosen to die on this ridiculous hill. Mitten isn't the one who needs to wind his neck in, he actually speaks to people who were there. You do.
Players blatantly said they don’t want to play I don’t know why you’re going on about this, the quote you’ve posted shows that. Now this is a weird hill to die on.

JB7

Players blatantly said they don’t want to play I don’t know why you’re going on about this, the quote you’ve posted shows that. Now this is a weird hill to die on.
They were 2-0 down to fecking Watford, of course he made changes. He changed the shape of the team and brought in players he felt were more suited to the change of shape. This isn’t rocket science.

Dion

No they didn't, 2 players asked to come on. So he took off the injured player and the player who wasn't playing well. At no point does Solskjaer say anyone asked to come off.

Lj82

Reading this forum is depressing. People just digging in despite being shown they misinterpreted what Ole said. Thanks to whoever invented the ignore button

Ludens the Red

The team talk at half time was about whoever wants to play can play, get your hand up if you don't want to play, made a few changes

Exactly…
That reads out as he made changes due to players putting their hands up. That’s how a lot of people read it too. Dunno why you’re acting as if I’m in the minority here.
If you follow up the bit about putting hands up with immediately mentioning “I made a few changes”. A normal person would think the meaning was you made subs due to players putting their hands up and not wanting to play. The fact you’re saying Mitten clarifies what happens tells you a lot of people thought Ole meant players asked to be subbed. Otherwise why would he need to clarify it? And if you didn’t know Mitten and Ole were close (I didn’t until this thread) why would you perceive what Mitten said as anything but a contradiction.

I mean you’ve got numerous people in this thread and online who came to the same conclusion.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Actually why Jude couldn't be promise more minutes, if everyone agrees that he is going to be a next big thing then what is so hard. Ole and the board should say as long as you don't suck 5-6 games in the row then you will get game time. Just look at Rashford, he sucks so much that I think he doesn't deserve to play. Matic was old, McTominay isn't a good midfielder and Fred was average so I think United was trying say you are not in the position to make demand and it got backfire.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Found it hilarious when Neville was telling Solskjær the conversation through text between him and Keane :lol: love watching these there so funny.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No they didn't, 2 players asked to come on. So he took off the injured player and the player who wasn't playing well. At no point does Solskjaer say anyone asked to come off.
He basically did. He said he asked them if you want to come of raise your hand so he made changes based on that.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Ole was class throughout. I didn't rate him as a coach and was extremely critical in my words. But I take no happiness doing so because he's a likeable guy, a legend of the club and always presents himself with honesty.

Good to see him on the Overlap.
I dreaded every second of him leading the club. It was getting ridiculous how i hated watching him in those months. I hated myself more for hating ole one of my favorite ever players. Watching him again warms my heart once again. Class

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dreaded every second of him leading the club. It was getting ridiculous how i hated watching him in those months. I hated myself more for hating ole one of my favorite ever players. Watching him again warms my heart once again. Class
Yeah basically my sentiment, though I wouldn't say I "hated" the guy. Just thought he was quite a bad coach :lol: