The Overlap - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

mintyred

He was praising their attitude as much as anything else, and quite frankly, if we'd had Fred this season opposition teams wouldn't be running right thru our midfield all game, I'm pretty confident out losses column would be a lot less than it is
It's like fans have dementia or something. Teams ran through us regularly with Fred.

pascell

He was praising their attitude as much as anything else, and quite frankly, if we'd had Fred this season opposition teams wouldn't be running right thru our midfield all game, I'm pretty confident out losses column would be a lot less than it is
We simply couldn't have Fred and Bruno in the same team, they both pressed like dogs but it left gaps down the side and behind them, which teams exploited and it cost us.

We also struggled retaining possession as Fred just wasn't that good on the ball.

Oranges038

It's the same problem ten Hag is facing due to buying Casemiro, who doesn't have the legs to play as an 8. Add Bruno in the 8/10 role and its severely unbalanced.

Hopefully one of the issues fixed this summer.
Yeah, it's long been a problem even since before Scholes retired and came back, Fletcher, Carrick and Giggs held it together for a few years. But since then it's been a long series of nothing players who've lacked the quality and consistency you need on the ball. You just can't expect to compete at the top of the table or in the latter stages of the CL, without a proper midfield who can control the ball and dictate the game.

Teja

It's like fans have dementia or something. Teams ran through us regularly with Fred.
Nah his recovery ability is the reason why even when our press was beaten, we didn't let that many shots away at goal. You take that out and every time the opposition team beats the press (which is often because we can't really press that well) it results in a shot.

The other part of the equation is that Casemiro's legs are gone but I think this season's Casemiro + Fred will let fewer shots from counter attacks than Casemiro + whoever else we currently have.

mintyred

Ooor maybe he doesn't necessarily want to be a manager, and won't take a job where his gut feeling tells him he doesn't 100% want to take it?

He's a multi-millionaire, I'm pretty sure he can enjoy his life if he wants, instead of potentially wasting away years in a job that he wasn't fully sure about anyways, just so people like you won't make mean comments on the internet about how he believes failure is success, etc. Some of you read anything into a few words these days.

Btw, funnily enough his name came up at Bayern when they were considering sacking Tuchel immediately a few weeks ago, so just maybe they know better than you do?
He does want to be a manager but he can't get a top-level job because he's not respected. He was never considered by Bayern either, it was a rumour because he works for the club.

El Jefe

Ooor maybe he doesn't necessarily want to be a manager, and won't take a job where his gut feeling tells him he doesn't 100% want to take it?

He's a multi-millionaire, I'm pretty sure he can enjoy his life if he wants, instead of potentially wasting away years in a job that he wasn't fully sure about anyways, just so people like you won't make mean comments on the internet about how he believes failure is success, etc. Some of you read anything into a few words these days.

Btw, funnily enough his name came up at Bayern when they were considering sacking Tuchel immediately a few weeks ago, so just maybe they know better than you do?
You’ve just proven my point with all that you said.

He clearly wants to be a manager but is waiting for the perfect job, one that hasn’t come up yet in over three years without a job.

Most managers are multi-millionaires who would have much better quality of life if they didn’t get back into management. They choose to go back into management because they love it and have the confidence that they are good enough to do the job and continue to grow.

Unless you’re an elite manager, there is no perfect job, they all come with huge risk. ole just strikes me as someone who knows he’ll likely never have it as good as he did with the Manchester United job which is why he doesn’t seem that fussed about going back.

That is the reason why I don’t take him seriously because real coaches serious about management are keen to challenge themselves to get better and prove they belong at the top.

Your last paragraph is a joke. You are counting speculation as a win? Ole is still at home and Tuchel is still in the job so what are you on about. Mctominay was linked with Bayern in the summer too, is he suddenly a top midfielder?

lilcurt

Makes me sad seeing Ole now. He seems so sad when he talks now and always on the edge of tears. Think he has really suffered since leaving.

Wasn't good hearing him coaching under 14's, he could be doing better than that surely. Roy alludes to him being in a bad place and then quickly shuts it down.

dubplate warrior

The Overlap is one of the best weekly shows out there. Absolutely brilliant every single week
I think it's quickly become the best one to be fair. Great chemistry and heavyweight guests whilst still asking good questions.

SER19

I kind of wish we'd given him until the end of that season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not like they do now, Fred was in no way what we need but he's better than what we have currently (Mainoo aside)

Andersonson

Makes me sad seeing Ole now. He seems so sad when he talks now and always on the edge of tears. Think he has really suffered since leaving.

Wasn't good hearing him coaching under 14's, he could be doing better than that surely. Roy alludes to him being in a bad place and then quickly shuts it down.
The under 14's are his son's team for feck sake. This thread is a testament to why players have mental issues. Imagine hearing what you lot are tweeting them every day and have to live with that. Jesus Christ this thread is low IQ

Partridge

I find it hard to believe Fred is Brazilian. Had the skills of a 3rd string Brentford centre back. Have we had other shit Brazilians before? I can't remember.

It's a hindsight thing for me. Of course it was a bad decision but I imagine a lot of former players (perhaps Ole himself) have called the club up recommending use to sign the supposed next big thing.
You're right, but I remember when we were linked with Haaland back when he was at Molde he did look instantly really, really good in his Molde highlights.

Maybe a month or two after we were first linked he scored like 7 or 9 in a single match for Norway's U-21s. From what I remember it was against awful opposition, but you could still see the pure physical tools and the scent for goal he had.

For a £3m punt (according to Solskjaer) it seemed like a no brainer even at the time for a striker prospect scoring like he was coupled with the speed and size.

Edit -

Haaland Molde Highlights video made around the time we were first linked

Haaland 9 goals vs Honduras

Last edited:

JediSith

That's the thing, though, isn't it? As manager, your job isn't to simply think, your job is to assess and plan ahead.

The team structure is what creates the chances, and the forwards are paid the big bucks to convert them. The underlying statistics at the end of 20/21 suggested that we were massively over-performing in the final third. We didn't lack finishers, we lacked nuances in our game plan. So, if the idea behind signing Ronaldo was to add a "cheat code" that would allow Solskjaer to bypass the necessary process managers are paid to oversee and propel us into a title charge, it was a bad idea. It also (kind of) justifies all the people who were claiming at the time that Solsjkaer - despite his good intentions - was never the right man for the job.

There's a misconception about RvP's transfer. Sir Alex didn't sign him to "solve" any structural issues, but to spearhead an already potent team. He wanted him to replace a declining Rooney as the focal point of our attack. But the team already knew how to get those goals. In fact, the season before (11/12), we scored more goals (89) than with RvP (86).
I agree that Ole should have known. But to be honest, I think at the time after those signings most people thought we had a team capable of challenging but in reality it was just an over bloated squad with some very big names and individually good players. But that only became clear with time. Because players like Martial, Pogba, Rashford etc were given the benefit of the doubt of “mourinho”

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
People forget Fred's second half performance at Barca last season or his performances against City in the wins over Pep under Ole. Fred could be a really brilliant player at times.
Fred's problem was you never knew which version you were gonna get, when he was good he was really good and when he was bad he was really bad, but this season we needed his energy

Greeks

I love the fact that Roy drove nine hours in Norway to visit Ole to cheer him up when he was a bit low.

It is good to see people with such strong characters to respect each other. There is some beauty in it. A kind of beauty that is rarer and rarer in modern day life.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What a wonderful interview that was. A joy to watch really. Yes they could have pressed him a bit more on some points but I don’t think that’s the point of these interviews anyway. It’s more of a mix of insight, personality, nostalgia and fun and this had all of that. Few things that stood out for me
- the tidbits from these chaps playing together was lovely
- G Nev the photographer :lol:
- Ole on Bruno lacking control and being too emotional
- How he didn’t seem to get into Sancho but just said that he didn’t have time with him and everyone at the club was aligned
- The stuff about the issues in how we operate
- Players shirking from and shrinking under responsibility

Personality wise - Ole came across as a manager to me. You can see why he connected with the team. At the same, he was never the man for us as he just a top coach and his judgment on players was just average (a product of him not being a great coach). Still he’s a great fellow and you can see why he was such a great sub / squad player as his mentality is excellent.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I love the fact that Roy drove nine hours in Norway to visit Ole to cheer him up when he was a bit low.

It is good to see people with such strong characters to respect each other. There is some beauty in it. A kind of beauty that is rarer and rarer in modern day life.
Indeed.

Every time I listen to ex players what stands out most is how brilliant their mentality seemed to be. Leaving aside that lovely effort from Roy on a person level, can’t help but feel one of the top priorities Ineos should have is putting together a squad that will not melt under the furnace of pressure at Manchester United. Some people thrive in it - Keane, Ole and all other top players - you can see them thriving under it and wanting the ball / a chance whereas a lot of the current group sink. I think Sir Alex was just next level in terms of identifying the right individual. Neither us or any other club is getting that level of manager anytime soon so we need a proper structure to do that like other big clubs have.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Except he did it the previous summer with Dan James. Who’d not made anywhere near the mark in the championship as Jude had. He signed Dan James after a season of first team football and played him in many many games.
Bellingham was there. Our central midfield options were poor at the time. It was a noted weak spot in our team. The reason ole didn’t offer Bellingham the minutes to convince him is because Ole misidentified the abilities of Mctominay/ Pogba and Fred.
I mean did you hear him talking about Mcfred during the overlap? He held them in far too high regard. And that’s why he didn’t believe Bellingham would play a lot. Putting this on bullshit like no manager would play a player that age that much or that Bellingham was too demanding is a bullshit. Manchester United not giving young teenagers significant minutes ? Really? When was that a thing?
Firstly, How often have teenagers not from the United academy got the minutes Bellingham wanted?

Second, how many minutes did James get for United as compared to Bellingham in his first season at Dortmund?

Furthermore stop using hindsight to claim Bellingham would have got the minutes he wanted. The midfield department also had Pogba, Bruno and Matic. It's fallacious to pretend at that stage in his career Jude was going to start as much as those 5.

Last edited:

mintyred

Fred's problem was you never knew which version you were gonna get, when he was good he was really good and when he was bad he was really bad, but this season we needed his energy
It wouldn’t make a difference, it’s not a player problem it’s a system problem. No matter what Fred turned up our midfield got decimated. If your midfield is always getting ran through it’s on the manager.

Lentwood

ETH did exactly the opposite against City and has been slaughtered for it - the manager can't win!
You have to ignore that as the manager. Its not about being popular or scoring points with fans and pundits, it's about being confident enough to go with your convictions.

If United had gone to the Etihad and Stoke a 1-0 win, which we might well have done without Foden's wonder-strike, then I guarantee people on this forum wouldn't complain.

Ludens the Red

Firstly, How often have teenagers not from the United academy got the minutes Bellingham wanted?

Second, how many minutes did James get for United as compared to Bellingham in his first season at Dortmund?

Furthermore stop using hindsight to claim Bellingham would have got the minutes he wanted. The midfield department also had Pogba, Bruno and Matic. It's fallacious to pretend at that stage in his career Jude was going to start as much as those 5.
Firstly, are you forgetting how much Pogba and Matic were unavailable during that period through injury?
Are you forgetting this was during covid football where every rubbish United performance was blamed on players being tired and us unable to rotate.
Bruno also doesnt play in the position Bellingham played in at the time so no relevance mentioning him.
Also think you need to probably reflect on your usage of the word hindsight….

How many teenagers not from our academy got minutes ? I don’t know, off the top
Of my head the following teenagers, some with barely even a season of first team football.
Luke Shaw, Antony Martial, Alejandro Garnacho, Rafael Da Silva, Fabio Da Silva, Wayne Rooney.
Dan James got 3,000 minutes in his first season here. Jude Bellingham got 2,800 minutes in his first season at Dortmund.

Now move some goalposts and come back with some other stuff..
Genuinely don’t know why people are choosing to die on this hill. Ole fecked up with Bellingham it’s that simple. It’s okay. It happens. It doesn’t take away from the great things he did at this club as a player. But we know management wasn’t his strong point and neither was recruiting players.

Dion

Just a quick update for all those people who were questioning their character (well, questioning Rashford's and conveniently giving Scott a pass).

Ludens the Red

Just a quick update for all those people who were questioning their character (well, questioning Rashford's and conveniently giving Scott a pass).
Was Andy Mitten in the dressing room that day? Odd he’s come out saying that so emphatically. Some of these journalists need to wind their neck in sometimes.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Firstly, are you forgetting how much Pogba and Matic were unavailable during that period through injury?
In the 2020/2021 season Pogba started 21 times and had 5 sub appearances in the league that season. Matic had 12 with 18 sub appearances. They were not as injured as you remember that season.

Are you forgetting this was during covid football where every rubbish United performance was blamed on players being tired and us unable to rotate.
Bruno also doesn't play in the position Bellingham played in at the time so no relevance mentioning him.
Also think you need to probably reflect on your usage of the word hindsight….
First, I haven't forgotten what happened that a season. Second, I also don't need to revise my use of the word hindsight. For only hindsight bias can make anyone believe at 17 Bellingham would have got the 19 starts and 10 sub appearances he got for Dortmund with us in season 2020/2021.

How many teenagers not from our academy got minutes ? I don’t know, off the top
Of my head the following teenagers, some with barely even a season of first team football.
Luke Shaw, Antony Martial, Alejandro Garnacho, Rafael Da Silva, Fabio Da Silva, Wayne Rooney.
Dan James got 3,000 minutes in his first season here. Jude Bellingham got 2,800 minutes in his first season at Dortmund.

Now move some goalposts and come back with some other stuff..
Strange comment. Firstly Asking you questions your post raises has nothing to do with shifting goal posts.

Furthermore in league football Dan James played 914 minutes for us that season. Bellingham had 1705 for Dortmund that term (whoscored.com). A whopping 719 minutes more

FrantikChicken

Because they wanted to move into a different style of football, and thought that Jadon was a generational talent? To be fair, if he performed anywhere near his Dortmund level, he would have easily kept Rashford out of the team.

Besides he played right wing plenty of times for Dortmund, too much is made about his "preferred side". He was at his best when he roamed and involved himself in all parts of play. Dortmund Sancho was not one-dimensional.
Sure, but you don’t build a stronger team by replacing your best players by better players when you have other areas of the pitch that don’t even have a single decent option. Like I’m not even sure if we had a single natural right winger that summer.

I know Jadon can play on the right, but his stats were definitely better on the left and apparently the player himself prefers it. So we spent 80m on a player just so we can play him out of his preferred position

Greeks

Indeed.

Every time I listen to ex players what stands out most is how brilliant their mentality seemed to be. Leaving aside that lovely effort from Roy on a person level, can’t help but feel one of the top priorities Ineos should have is putting together a squad that will not melt under the furnace of pressure at Manchester United. Some people thrive in it - Keane, Ole and all other top players - you can see them thriving under it and wanting the ball / a chance whereas a lot of the current group sink. I think Sir Alex was just next level in terms of identifying the right individual. Neither us or any other club is getting that level of manager anytime soon so we need a proper structure to do that like other big clubs have.
In Ole's case, he is a man of principle deserving Roy's respect. In Roy's second biography, he tells the story how Ole stood with Roy under enormous pressure when Roy was unwelcome. The other was Paul Scholes. Both Scholes and Ole were threatened losing their jobs. You have to respect that kind of character.

That is why I love that United. so much for these guys.

Zed 101

Sure, but you don’t build a stronger team by replacing your best players by better players when you have other areas of the pitch that don’t even have a single decent option. Like I’m not even sure if we had a single natural right winger that summer.

I know Jadon can play on the right, but his stats were definitely better on the left and apparently the player himself prefers it. So we spent 80m on a player just so we can play him out of his preferred position
One of the biggest issues we have had as a club is fixating on a player who may be quality but does not fit our actual need.... somebody like Sancho being British and a "generational talent" it is like the club feel that we have to be in for him, similar examples being Maguire, AWB and Mount.... I think this is Legacy from early PL days where Utd had such financial dominance that they could cherry pick from most other clubs within the league, we do not limit this to British players, off the top of my head, not sure we needed Di Maria, Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, DVB, Ronaldo (2nd time)

I must admit some little bias towards signing or having British players, whilst a CB (Maguire) and RB (AWB) were required there were better or at least comparable options British and non British for much cheaper, Mount and Sancho were not filling a gap, I hope that this is one thing that INEOS and the new structure change.

I am wise in hindsight

crossy1686

career ending
Was Andy Mitten in the dressing room that day? Odd he’s come out saying that so emphatically. Some of these journalists need to wind their neck in sometimes.
You know Mitten is the only journalist Ole has spoken to since he got the sack? Him and Ole just did a tour of India together. If anyone knows what happened, it's probably him,

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Fred would've been better than McTom and I think he would've complimented Casemiro tbh. Might've given us good options in a 3 too with Eriksen last year.

He clearly wasn't brilliant and infuriatingly inconsistent but he was a good player when we were playing well and it was the wrong idea to get rid.

matt10000

Manager​
Win %​
Loss %​
CS​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pep​
73.72%​
12.97%​
128​
293​
216​
39​
38​
721​
242​
479​
687​
Klopp​
63.16%​
13.93%​
129​
323​
204​
74​
45​
692​
315​
377​
686​
Arteta​
58.39%​
25.47%​
57​
161​
94​
26​
41​
304​
174​
130​
308​
Jose​
53.76%​
18.28%​
38​
93​
50​
26​
17​
151​
86​
65​
176​
Ole​
52.58%​
19.59%​
31​
97​
51​
27​
19​
175​
105​
70​
180​
Ten Hag​
56.92%​
30.77%​
24​
65​
37​
8​
20​
95​
82​
13​
119​
LVG​
51.32%​
23.68%​
29​
76​
39​
19​
18​
111​
72​
39​
136​

Given the sheer quantity of games that Pep/Klopp and Arteta have had i've condensed some of the stats down to Per Game Ratios instead:

Manager​
CS​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pep​
0.4​
2.5​
0.8​
1.6​
2.3​
Klopp​
0.4​
2.1​
1.0​
1.2​
2.1​
Arteta​
0.4​
1.9​
1.1​
0.8​
1.9​
Jose​
0.4​
1.6​
0.9​
0.7​
1.9​
Ole​
0.3​
1.8​
1.1​
0.7​
1.9​
Ten Hag​
0.4​
1.5​
1.3​
0.2​
1.8​
LVG​
0.4​
1.5​
0.9​
0.5​
1.8​

Looking at the second table you can see what a machine Peps City side are. Averaging 2.5 goals a game while conceding just 0.8 per game. The other interesting note of worth is that Ole's and Artetas stats are pretty much identical. Arteta has won more games but also lost more hence the draws that Ole got equalised the points per game. Shut your eyes and don't look at Ten Hags GD ratio.
Thanks for posting @RedSky

Very interesting stats. I must admit as soon as I heard we were re-signing Ronaldo I had this doubt, I thought it could de-rail Ole progress. Suddenly you had a bigger star than the manager that Ole had to accommodate.

Be interesting to know what the stats would have been if Klopp and Pep had swapped places. Would Pep have done what Klop did? I guess we will never know.

Dion

Ole and Mitten are literally mates, they just went on a tour of India together. Maybe you need to wind your neck in?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You have to ignore that as the manager. Its not about being popular or scoring points with fans and pundits, it's about being confident enough to go with your convictions.

If United had gone to the Etihad and Stoke a 1-0 win, which we might well have done without Foden's wonder-strike, then I guarantee people on this forum wouldn't complain.
Some would be, they'd be moaning the number of shot's conceded or how much worse our xG was or something other BS metric