The Premier League Vs La Liga and the rest of Europe

vidic blood & sand

With the Premier League going from strength to strength, is the time coming when the best players in the world will be more attracted to the top English clubs, rather than the glamour of Barca and Real with their more exotic locations?
More and more money is pumping into the premier league, and average teams of yesteryear are now very strong teams and hard to beat. The league has been turned on it's head this season because it's so competitive, and this only adds to it's appeal worldwide.
At the moment the best players in the world prefer Barca or Real, whoever's interested, but is the premier league on the verge of becoming more attractive for the elite players?
Obviously to compete in the premier league, teams are pillaging talent across Europe, including Spain, and so are ultimately weakening the quality of these leagues. Do you see this as a disaster for European football?
At the moment, the top English sides are struggling in the Champions League, but that could change very quickly, especially as the top coaches are attracted to the premier league. Pep even ditching a Bayern Munich side on a par with the Spanish giants.
How do you see the power of the premier league impacting football in Europe over the next 5 -10 years?
Could the Premier League become even bigger than UEFA?

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football

Lurpak99

Buttered up
The best players will still want to go to Barcelona and Real Madrid, but the lesser clubs in England will continue to get rather big names like we've seen with Stoke in recent years. Clubs of that size in Spain or others countries don't have the money to get those players, so the PL will just get even more competitive. I don't think the PL will become the best league in the world though, because even if a lot of Spanish clubs don't have the same kind of money English clubs have, Spain have a much bigger pool of local talent to choose from, so they can get good players in for nothing and still be able to beat the rich PL clubs.

vidic blood & sand

No.

:lol: Hell no.
Possibly, but if the premier league grows to the point where we have all the talent in Europe, it would surely become more attractive than the Champions league. Say, United Vs Westham would be more exciting than United Vs Juventus for example.

Crossie

Supports
Possibly, but if the premier league grows to the point where we have all the talent in Europe, it would surely become more attractive than the Champions league. Say, United Vs Westham would be more exciting than United Vs Juventus for example.
That won't happen because the Premier League won't have all the talent as I have indicated with my first 'no'.

vidic blood & sand

The best players will still want to go to Barcelona and Real Madrid, but the lesser clubs in England will continue to get rather big names like we've seen with Stoke in recent years. Clubs of that size in Spain or others countries don't have the money to get those players, so the PL will just get even more competitive. I don't think the PL will become the best league in the world though, because even if a lot of Spanish clubs don't have the same kind of money English clubs have, Spain have a much bigger pool of local talent to choose from, so they can get good players in for nothing and still be able to beat the rich PL clubs.
What if Real and Barca cant compete with the financial power of the top English sides?
The Barca president fears the premier league, and I understand why.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
What if Real and Barca cant compete with the financial power of the top English sides?
Sure if PL clubs are stupid enough to offer players £800,000-a-week contracts, then maybe, but I can't see the two Spanish giants lose their attractiveness. I also want to see English clubs use their wealth properly, before believing they're gonna take over Europe.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You should be friends with Twigg.

Sarni

Do you seriously believe Barca and Real could find themselves in a position where they won't be able to compete financially with West Ham and Bournemouth?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If the rest of La Liga keeps losing its best talent and the teams are finding themselves in more and more financial trouble, Barce and Real will try and force a super league I think

vidic blood & sand

If the rest of La Liga keeps losing its best talent and the teams are finding themselves in more and more financial trouble, Barce and Real will try and force a super league I think
Yeah eventually something will have to give. Either La Liga will become so noncompetitive, the vast majority of games will be seen as meaningless, or Real and Barca will have to agree start sharing the money more fairly with other Sanish teams.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah eventually something will have to give. Either La Liga will become so noncompetitive, the vast majority of games will be seen as meaningless, or Real and Barca will have to agree start sharing the money more fairly with other Sanish teams.
Their wage structures are so bad that they can't really afford to spread the money out more evenly.

Sarni

Let's maybe live in present instead of writing scenarios for future. The present is that there is significant gap in quality in favour of La Liga and English clubs would do well to minimize this gap over the next 5-7 years. Then from here you can think about PL becoming a force, not now.

I say in 5 years Chinese League will have all the best talent in the world while Premier League will be fighting it out with MLS. I can say that, can't I?

vidic blood & sand

Let's maybe live in present instead of writing scenarios for future. The present is that there is significant gap in quality in favour of La Liga and English clubs would do well to minimize this gap over the next 5-7 years. Then from here you can think about PL becoming a force, not now.
The thread is about how strong the premier league could become with its current growth in popularity and financial power.

Sarni

I like the curve of this PL boom-bust cycle. When PL was in good condition 5-6 years ago we barely had these thread, people concentrated on football and did not bother trying to compare the league with Serie A or La Liga. In the past 2-3 years it's become clear PL was left behind by La Liga with Bundesliga and Serie A also catching up a little which is reflected by the danger of losing fourth CL spot, coupled with United's lack of success in the league and English clubs complete capitulation in Europe so Premier League maniacs feel the need to constantly talk about league's stength and superiority and excuse English sides for playing so poorly because they are SO EXHAUSTED from playing in PL that they cannot possibly be expected to string together two decent performances in a row.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As opposed to,

City - Bony, Delph, Sterling, Milner
United - Shaw, Schneiderlin, Young, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Valencia
Liverpool - Lovren, Clyne, Lallana, Mignolet, Henderson

And so on.

But no, English clubs definitely don't raid the rest of the league of their promising players for fun. Those clubs hold on no matter what.

Sarni

The thread is about how strong the premier league could become with its current growth in popularity and financial power.
But you cannot know that, can you? For one it is quite clear Spanish clubs have much better access to top talent domestically as Spanish youth setup is on a much higher level.

vidic blood & sand

Marca
Josep Maria Bartomeutalked about the current state of FC Barcelona in the 'Financial Times'. The club president warned of the threat which the Premier League poses to the Catalan club. "Our rival is the Premier League. It is not a specific club, it is the strength of the Premier League itself. The 16-year-olds constantly receive offers from the Premier League that are very tempting. Every year there are some who go", he assures.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Mourinho said something similar this week about the Prem being the most competitive league.

Some people here don't want to hear it though, I think more because they enjoy the games than anything else.

It's a massive worry for these clubs. Next year will be even bigger for the prem!

Crossie

Supports
It will never reach that stage. Geographical reasons being the primary.
Telling someone to move from Barcelona to Manchester should result in nothing but wholehearted laughter.
I'd say geographically being at the same level as with competitive reasons.

Crossie

Supports
Mourinho said something similar this week about the Prem being the most competitive league.

Some people here don't want to hear it though, I think more because they enjoy the games than anything else.

It's a massive worry for these clubs. Next year will be even bigger for the prem!
:lol: I can't believe that after all those years people take whatever José says for granted.

vidic blood & sand

But you cannot know that, can you? For one it is quite clear Spanish clubs have much better access to top talent domestically as Spanish youth setup is on a much higher level.
Of course we can't know how it's going to pan out, that's why the thread is about where the premier league could be heading with so much financial power. With so much money, if talent was pillaged across Europe, their leagues will suffer greatly, and the premier league will grow stronger and stronger.
Let me say again, it's all speculation, but any idiot will be able to see that the power of the premier league is going to be seen as a concern to the other footballing countries.

Moby

Dick
Mourinho calling the Premier League the strongest, his most recent and possibly next employers?
Can't see anything but pure damning honesty behind that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
"My personal opinion is that the [Premier League] is so hard. Every team fights until the 90th minute. Over the course of 38 games, that takes a lot out of the English teams. If we play a lesser team here, if it’s 4-0 at half-time, in the second half you don’t have to really graft. At the end of the season we definitely feel fresher.

You could say Spain is the best league, but the Premier League is probably the most competitive. Bottom could beat top any week."

-Gareth Bale

Crossie

Supports
Of course we can't know how it's going to pan out, that's why the thread is about where the premier league could be heading with so much financial power. With so much money, if talent was pillaged across Europe, their leagues will suffer greatly, and the premier league will grow stronger and stronger.
Let me say again, it's all speculation, but any idiot will be able to see that the power of the premier league is going to be seen as a concern to the other footballing countries.
No offense but you'll see in a few years time how wrong the assumption is that the influx of money in the EPL will significantly hamper the other leagues; it won't, neither La Liga, Serie A nor the Bundesliga.

What the money will do as it has been already is to fuel the inflation of fees and wages. That's doesn't equal quality though, and even less 'growing stronger'.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Two years ago @rcoobc had similar thoughts:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/renaissance-of-english-domination.384991/

It was scary back then, it's even more scary now. It's interesting that the big plan went from 'dominating the CL' to 'bigger than UEFA'. I guess it makes sense because the first plan failed so spectularly during the last 2 years, that the Premier League should try something new. If it's bigger than UEFA, it might not have to prove itself anymore against the other clubs and can just claim to be better without the silly old thing called performances on the pitch getting in the way.

Sarni

"My personal opinion is that the [Premier League] is so hard. Every team fights until the 90th minute. Over the course of 38 games, that takes a lot out of the English teams. If we play a lesser team here, if it’s 4-0 at half-time, in the second half you don’t have to really graft. At the end of the season we definitely feel fresher.

You could say Spain is the best league, but the Premier League is probably the most competitive. Bottom could beat top any week."

-Gareth Bale
So basically PL is more competitive but La Liga is stroger. Well balanced opinion.

vidic blood & sand

-Gareth Bale

It must also be concerning that Tottenham could feel a weakened team against Dortmund in the Europa league, in order to keep their players fresh in the battle to win the premier league. Now I know that the europa league is nothing compared to the champions league, but Tottenham havent won a trophy for years. Other premier league sides have completely ditched the europa league in favor of being fresh for premier league games.
A nightmare scenario for UEFA would be if the day ever came that the premier league overtook the champions league because all the best players are in the premier league, and the worldwide demand eclipses the champions league.
People might laugh at that, but its possible I think if it keeps growing.

vidic blood & sand

So basically PL is more competitive but La Liga is stroger. Well balanced opinion.
It's not stronger. Barca are the best team in the world, Real are very good but declining. And Ateletico are at the same level as Real. Then the fall in quality is dramatic.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's not stronger. Barca are the best team in the world, Real are very good but declining. And Ateletico are at the same level as Real. Then the fall in quality is dramatic.
Honestly mate. There's no point in this. It seems a widely accepted thing for footballers and managers who've been at both leagues to talk about, but for some reason people here literally refuse to acknowledge the fact.

Moby

Dick
As opposed to the PL, where the fail in quality starts at the very top.

Leicester is winning the league, have a word with yourself. fecking Leicester, and I say this with nothing but immense pride. :cool:

Sarni

It's not though. Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic all doing great in Europe and better than most PL teams. They are not as good as the top 3 but it's mostly due to the fact that top 3 is incredibly strong (particularly the leader).

Sarni

As opposed to the PL, where the fail in quality starts at the very top.

Leicester is winning the league, have a word with yourself. fecking Leicester, and I say this with nothing but immense pride. :cool:
I'd say top 3 from Spain would easily make top 4 in England and teams like Sevilla, Athletic, Villarreal and Valencia (without Neville) would be in top 4 or very close to it. I refuse to believe that clubs like Celta or Sociedad would relegation fodder in PL either. There's just so much quality in La Liga which is evidenced by their amazing record in Europe (as opposed to English clubs who have been dreadful for a while yet this gets overlooked). It's not just top 3 tearing Europe apart.

But the consensus for deluded PL maniacs is that aside from top 3 the rest of teams are basically worse than Newcastle.

Sarni

Honestly mate. There's no point in this. It seems a widely accepted thing for footballers and managers who've been at both leagues to talk about, but for some reason people here literally refuse to acknowledge the fact.
Go on, quote Mourinho again. He's become your oracle of truth I see, quite a turnaround from despising him a couple weeks ago :lol:

Moby

Dick
I'd say top 3 from Spain would easily make top 4 in Europe and teams like Sevilla, Athletic, Villarreal and Valencia (without Neville) would be in top 4 or very close to it.

But the consensus for deluded PL maniacs is that aside from top 3 the rest of teams are basically worse than Newcastle.
Well, they're deluded but also helpless. I can only summarise the PL with this:

They both look really, really strong!