The race to not qualify for Europe (previously: Our last seven fixtures in the league this season)

Chumpsbechumps

Bournemouth away

Sheffield at home

Burnley at home

Palace away

Arsenal at home

Brighton away

I'm in a bit of a pickle here, I don't want the Europa but I still want 18 points from these matches, that would give us a whopping 67 points total :lol:

edit: forgot Newcastle at home - not scheduled yet.
Are we not automatically in the Europa if we beat Coventry and city beat Chelsea ?

I like being in it, better then being in nothing else and having no midweek football for a season. Also the CL spot for the winner makes it worth winning. And I think it’s good for teams building back up like we will be doing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Are we not automatically in the Europa if we beat Coventry and city beat Chelsea ?

I like being in it, better then being in nothing else and having no midweek football for a season. Also the CL spot for the winner makes it worth winning. And I think it’s good for teams building back up like we will be doing.
I think it goes to the next league team if City win it.

Pav1878

Bournemouth away

Sheffield at home

Burnley at home

Palace away

Arsenal at home

Brighton away

I'm in a bit of a pickle here, I don't want the Europa but I still want 18 points from these matches, that would give us a whopping 67 points total :lol:

hellllll yessss

El Zoido

EL is a good competition now, and basically our level. You see some properly big teams there as well, as well as a host of good up and coming young sides.
It'd be fine if the games weren't played on a thursday, which pushes a bunch of our fixtures to Sunday. We already play enough on Sunday as it is.

Chumpsbechumps

I think it goes to the next league team if City win it.
I’m fairly sure the runner up used to get the spot, has it changed ? Chat GBT also thinks so

Yes, the runner-up of the FA Cup in England qualifies for the UEFA Europa League, unless the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League through their league position. In that case, the Europa League spot would go to the FA Cup runner-up.

McFred

Prediction is beyond pointless with this team. At the same time both capable of winning or losing every one of those games. The only certainty is stress for the supporters.

I’m going to guess 31 total goals (both for and against) in these 7 games.

Sarni

I’m fairly sure the runner up used to get the spot, has it changed ? Chat GBT also thinks so

Yes, the runner-up of the FA Cup in England qualifies for the UEFA Europa League, unless the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for the UEFA Champions League through their league position. In that case, the Europa League spot would go to the FA Cup runner-up.
Watford lost the final in 2018-19 to City and did not play in Europe next year. Not sure about now.

Chumpsbechumps

Watford lost the final in 2018-19 to City and did not play in Europe next year. Not sure about now.
Ah ok, maybe it changed cause millwall got into Europe after losing the fa cup final to us.

but I guess since the spot goes to the league we will prob get a spot even if we finish 7th.

God we are scraping the barrel :wenger:

Revan

Assumptionman
In the scenario that we are already out of the CL and a win vs Arsenal hands the title to Liverpool... Would you want Arsenal to beat us?
Yes, ideally with Bruno passing the ball to Gabiel Jesus who will dribble Onana and score in the empty net.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I said a few weeks back. Majority of these fixtures are banana skins for us. Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't generally do well against Palace. Bournemouth are hit and miss but are pretty well organised so we'll struggle. Newcastle are regaining form, we're terrible against Brighton and Arsenal are in the title race.

It's only really Sheffield Utd and Burnley which we should be comfortably beating. The rest are fixtures we'll struggle at.

Sarni

Ah ok, maybe it changed cause millwall got into Europe after losing the fa cup final to us.

but I guess since the spot goes to the league we will prob get a spot even if we finish 7th.

God we are scraping the barrel :wenger:
I think it's different from league to league.

Sarni

I said a few weeks back. Majority of these fixtures are banana skins for us. Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't generally do well against Palace. Bournemouth are hit and miss but are pretty well organised so we'll struggle. Newcastle are regaining form, we're terrible against Brighton and Arsenal are in the title race.

It's only really Sheffield Utd and Burnley which we should be comfortably beating. The rest are fixtures we'll struggle at.
Nah, Burnley in particular can be tricky for us. I am traveling for that game and so far I have a great record at OT, we've won 8 and drawn 1 game I've been at. We've broken many long standing records this season, just saying...

thisisnottaken1

I think it's because we've played so much in it in recent years and only won it once. 15/16 second part of the season we played EL, 16/17 was nice because we won. Then 19/20 we lost in semis to Sevilla, 20/21 on penalties in final vs Villarreal and 22/23 lost in quarters in a really frustrating fashion. But given our performances we definitely belong to Europa more than CL, no doubt.
We were also in it in 11-12. That was an awful season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

It changed a while back, I think like a decade ago IIRC. Runners-up no longer qualify.

thisisnottaken1

Nah, Burnley in particular can be tricky for us. I am traveling for that game and so far I have a great record at OT, we've won 8 and drawn 1 game I've been at. We've broken many long standing records this season, just saying...
Yup. I’m only confident about the Sheffield United and Burnley fixtures, as only they would be the fixtures in which we’re likely to win, but Burnley have frustrated us. We probably won’t win anything other than the games against Sheffield United and Burnley, which seems about right. It’s fecking depressing, it really is.

CallyRed

I hope we play the youngsters against Arsenal. Might actually see a coherent display.

Dannn411

Bournemouth away - Loss

Sheffield at home - Toss up.

Burnley at home - Toss up.

Palace away - Loss.

Arsenal at home - Loss.

Brighton away - Loss.

cpresc

EL is a good competition now, and basically our level. You see some properly big teams there as well, as well as a host of good up and coming young sides.
Our games against Barca were some of my season favourites

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In the scenario that we are already out of the CL and a win vs Arsenal hands the title to Liverpool... Would you want Arsenal to beat us?
It'd be an easy loss to stomach. Yes.

I think so, but I'm not expecting Chelsea to beat City, nor am I expecting us. It would soften the blow of having Europa Thursdays.

redmanx

We have 7 games left. You left out Newcastle at home. If we win all 7 (probably won't), we end up on 70 points.

Tottenham will comfortably surpass 70 points, hence we're playing for 5th position.

Aston villa have 6 games left and are on 60 points.

If we finish 5th, what's the story with champions league?
We should, ha ha, beat Sheffield United, Burnley, Bournemouth and Palace, but I wont be surprized if we lose or draw against any of them, and I dont go much for our chances against Arsenal, Brighton and Newcastle and I doubt we'll pick up anything there, so at best Im thinking 12 points, maybe 13 giving us 61 points and a 6th place finish at best. We cant seem to put 2 decent performances back to back, usually a good win/performance is followed by utter rubbish and if we're lucky theres a reaction next time out, but there is simply no pattern or consistency we can refer to to even guess what might happen match to match. Its not exactly the way potential Champions play.

crackers0seven

Coventry match only one that really matters, use the league to blood a few players. Keep willy in and giving amad few games. See if these boys have a future at utd

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Problem is, it is absolutely impossible to predict the results that Ten Hag chaos ball will deliver in the remaining games.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Bournemouth away win

Sheffield at home win

Burnley at home win

Palace away win

Arsenal at home loss

Brighton away draw (maybe a win if Brighton have switched off as they have nothing to play for )

Newcastle at home (TBD)
win

Easy peasy.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I think it's because we've played so much in it in recent years and only won it once. 15/16 second part of the season we played EL, 16/17 was nice because we won. Then 19/20 we lost in semis to Sevilla, 20/21 on penalties in final vs Villarreal and 22/23 lost in quarters in a really frustrating fashion. But given our performances we definitely belong to Europa more than CL, no doubt.
We'd have won it in 2020 if it wasn't for Covid.

YikesSchmeics

Lucky for us that Chelsea reverted back to mean after their midweek Cup heroics and lucky penalties. They should keep dropping daft points as per, so I am not so sure about them catching us just yet.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I can confirm with certainty that we will finish this season.

Pintu

Bournemouth away - Win

Sheffield at home - Win

Burnley at home - Win

Newcastle home - Draw

Palace away - Win

Arsenal at home - Draw

Brighton away - Win

17 points total. 66 (could still be enough for Champions League, if we are lucky.)

Rista

17 points total. 66 (could still be enough for Champions League, if we are lucky.)
Villa and Spurs at 60 right now. That would take some luck. So would winning 5 out of 7 when we've won 15 and lost 12 so far and have a negative GD.

Hughie77

I'd rather play some of the fringe players now, unless ETH is under orders to at least get some kind of European football for the sponsors?

Imo I'd rather no European football for 1 season get rid of the rubbish , and bring in some quality, Players will still come to OT even with a Season in Europe.. but it looks like 1 European comp at least..

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Top 5 is long gone. I think we will get 12 or 13 points from those 7.

I most want us to beat Palace and Newcastle because I'm sick of losing to both of them