The Real Madrid transfer approach…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Famed for smashing world transfer records for the best players in the world, Real adapted their approach around 8 years ago in the wake of the increased financial strength of the Premier League and the emergence of oil clubs like PSG. It was no longer easy for them to get superstars at prime ages from PL heavyweights. They were always interested in Aguero, but could never really bully City. They effectively got what was left of Hazard by the time Chelsea was done with him, which was a lot later than they had hoped. When Pogba left Juventus in 2016, they would not match the 90m played by United, and when Mbappé left Monaco a year later, they could not compete with PSG.

So they changed their approach and started paying big money for relatively untested super talents

In 2017, Real Madrid made headlines for paying €46m to sign 17 year old Vinicius Junior from Flamengo. He had made only a handful of professional appearances and Real paid his release clause, to the surprise of many.

The following year, they repeated that strategy by paying €45m for Rodrygo from Santos when the player was also 17.

In 2022, Real paid €60m to Palmeiras to acquire the services of the 16 year old Endrick.

They have done other deals for young talent like Camavinga and Guler, but they were more proven at the time. In return, Real have gotten a player who has a good case to be the best player in the world at the moment (Vinicius), who has scored the winning goal in a CL final for them, and also another regular starting forward who has scored huge CL knockout goals (Rodrygo). The strategy hasn’t always worked, they signed Renier from Flamengo at 18 years old for €30m which has been a failure. Add in more expensive young talent like Bellingham and Tchouameni - they have almost completely moved away from trying to sign Chelsea, United, Arsenal players now, but have gone in paying absolute top dollar where others may consider it a risk. And it’s a risk that has paid off.

Anyway, I say all that to say, should we be employing a similar transfer strategy? Chelsea have arguably gone down a similar route. We are so far from the top now, I’m not sure we will get the value to recover from signing seasoned pros. The competition is fierce, wages are high, and we need too many to be able to get enough of them at the 25 year old range. Players like Neves have been discussed here, with many feeling we shouldn’t spend big on a 19 year old. The thing is, we are now struggling to get the 26 year old version from Barcelona.

It is a fair argument that Real were in a far stronger position when they embarked upon this strategy. But I do think we should be aggressively going after players like Neves, Doué, Nusa, Estevão, Yoro where possible. Their wages are low at this point too. Another benefit of such an approach, if it works, is that Real have built a team spirit. You get to create something like a Class of 92 or La Masia environment within the team because all of these players are beginning their senior journeys together.

Once players like Vini, Rodrygo and Endrick are 23/24 on good contracts at clubs like City, Paris, Chelsea - they are beyond the reach of even Real Madrid. Rashford could leave this summer but we can’t get Vini, Rodrygo, Mbappé, Saka anymore - and the others like Williams and co are a level below.

marktan

Why scout when you can simply buy overpriced British players (Ole) or overpay for players you coached or played against in the Dutch league (T
ETH)?

Only profession in the world where you can spend £70m on something worth £20m and not get sacked on the spot.

Last edited:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It’s funny, because “sign the next Messi” was a hotly debated transfer approach long before Real succeeded with what essentially amounts to that approach.

Very impressed by their hit rate.

Dazzmondo

Ya, I'd like to see us signing more players like Antonio Nusa, Roony Bardghji, Luis Guilherme, Assan Ouedraogo (wants to leave Schalke in the summer I think), Franco Mastantuono, all players that wouldn't even be crazy expensive in the way a Leny Yoro might be for example. This was something I was really hoping to see with the new team coming in, but so far I'm really disappointed to see us linked with expensive, obvious players like Olise, Branthwaite and Neves. It's not to say these are bad players, Neves in particular I really like, but when we're in such a tough financial situation and obviously going to have a rough season next year, I think going down the Real route would be a much wiser use of our funds.

madzo2007

Because of Brexit we can't sign any non-UK born player under the age of 18. By the time any future world beater turns 18 every top club will be after or they'll have already signed for someone else.

You could do what Chelsea do and sign them when they are 16 but they can't join until they are 18, but thats a massive risk.

Skills

Snitch
The Real Madrid approach hasn't changed much. They want the most talented players in the world playing for them. They'll make room for them if they are available and willing to come.

Managers are expected to play the players they're given and get the best out of them. They will be blasted out into orbit if they choose to disagree.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because of Brexit we can't sign any non-UK born player under the age of 18. By the time any future world beater turns 18 every top club will be after or they'll have already signed for someone else.

You could do what Chelsea do and sign them when they are 16 but they can't join until they are 18, but thats a massive risk.
Real Madrid themselves signed all those Brazilians before they were 18 and left them at their clubs until they were. Would be no different for us. We also have Nice now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Real Madrid approach hasn't changed much. They want the most talented players in the world playing for them. They'll make room for them if they are available and willing to come.

Managers are expected to play the players they're given and get the best out of them. They will be blasted out into orbit if they choose to disagree.
Which I said initially, but it has become harder for them to go out and buy them from top clubs like they did with Ronaldo for us, or Kaka with Milan. They haven’t done that of late, and instead have gotten in on the ground floor. It’s not as if they were buying Ronaldo from Sporting back in the day, but now they are.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Ya, I'd like to see us signing more players like Antonio Nusa, Roony Bardghji, Luis Guilherme, Assan Ouedraogo (wants to leave Schalke in the summer I think), Franco Mastantuono, all players that wouldn't even be crazy expensive in the way a Leny Yoro might be for example. This was something I was really hoping to see with the new team coming in, but so far I'm really disappointed to see us linked with expensive, obvious players like Olise, Branthwaite and Neves. It's not to say these are bad players, Neves in particular I really like, but when we're in such a tough financial situation and obviously going to have a rough season next year, I think going down the Real route would be a much wiser use of our funds.
Their future prospects were all signed for outrageous fees. Only the Turkish kid was on the cheap side.

cj_sparky

Before Brexit we wouldn't be able to complete the signing of players outside the EU until they turned 18 anyway.

Just like Fabio and Rafael who couldn't be registered until they turned 18.

Cecc

It's easier gambling on young upcoming stars when you have one of the best teams in the world already. Amazing backbone, really really strong and experienced players to learn from.

Dazzmondo

Their future prospects were all signed for outrageous fees. Only the Turkish kid was on the cheap side.
For their age they were expensive, but most were still under £40m, which is an average fee for a 22-27 year old. Endrick was slightly over £50m. We just bought Hojlund for £70m, we bought VDB for £35m (which was touted as a bargain at the time) so they're not that outrageous. Everton want £80m for Branthwaite. <£40m would be a good guide for us imo (assuming they see the potential is there obviously, the names I've mentioned are very well regarded in their native countries, I'm sure our scouts would know more that I'm not even aware of).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We've no chance at the top end of the elite young player market, so talking about it as a route is a non-starter. All of these young talents are gone the moment Madrid come in for them, and if they are of the highest repute, Madrid will almost certainly be in for them, as well as the giants of the game.

Camavinga, Bellingham, Tchouaméni were all players we were interested in who had no consideration for us when Madrid entered the fray. Besides, if you are really special, you can afford to wait, because the best of the best will be coming for you soon enough, as we will see with Wirtz.

In this kiddy purchasing realm, we're mostly going to have to shop for B-level and under whilst the S and A tiers, sit tight with the world as their respective oysters. It'll be a rarity indeed for an S-tier youngster to chose us in an open market. In the Fergie era, we would have had this market wrapped up if we adopted it as a strategy given his repute for working with youngsters as well as our standing in the game. Now, we are a shambles on and off the pitch, which was a prime reason why Bellingham gave us no serious consideration.

With the acquisition of Guler, Madrid also showed they'd go anywhere for the talent as opposed to only the famed farming stations, so there's no real niche for us to make our own.

All the above to say, it's a strategy I would like us to adopt, but we've fallen so low now that it's really not going to be easy. We'll have to pay a premium that other giants won't for the same players, which makes the risk all the more concerning for the money men.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The core of their team was until recently still built around experienced players, which lets them gamble on bedding in inexperienced players in a relatively gradual manner. It’s no different to how Ferguson bought players before their prime and rely on a core of experienced talent to set the standard.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It must help that they are nailed on for Champions League football each season. There’s way more jeopardy in the Prem, and on some level it must be quite difficult to plan financially.

Dazzmondo

We've no chance at the top end of the elite young player market, so talking about it as a route is a non-starter. All of these young talents are gone the moment Madrid come in for them, and if they are of the highest repute, Madrid will almost certainly be in for them, as well as the giants of the game.

Camavinga, Bellingham, Tchouaméni were all players we were interested in who had no consideration for us when Madrid entered the fray. Besides, if you are really special, you can afford to wait, because the best of the best will be coming for you soon enough, as we will see with Wirtz.

In this kiddy purchasing realm, we're mostly going to have to shop for B-level and under whilst the S and A tiers, sit tight with the world as their respective oysters. It'll be a rarity indeed for an S-tier youngster to chose us in an open market. In the Fergie era, we would have had this market wrapped up if we adopted it as a strategy given his repute for working with youngsters as well as our standing in the game. Now, we are a shambles on and off the pitch, which was a prime reason why Bellingham gave us no serious consideration.

With the acquisition of Guler, Madrid also showed they'd go anywhere for the talent as opposed to only the famed farming stations, so there's no real niche for us to make our own.

All the above to say, it's a strategy I would like us to adopt, but we've fallen so low now that it's really not going to be easy. We'll have to pay a premium that other giants won't for the same players, which makes the risk all the more concerning for the money men.
There's still a limit to how many they can buy, and Real's squad is bursting now. They really can't take much more in realistically. I also doubt they'll bring in too many other players this season with the huge amount they're spending on Mbappe. Barca are broke. It's probably the ideal year to go for these highly regarded young players. Also, Haaland would have joined Utd had we actually tried to get him. Camavinga and Bellingham (don't recall anything concrete on Tchouameni) are the only 2 recent examples I can think of where we went for a young player and they chose another club (Bellingham chose Dortmund over us, not Real, and it was for game time). Real are not going to sign every single one of the talents I mentioned obviously. They're not going to sign every single one of the hundreds if not thousands of highly rated young players across various countries in the world.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

We’re not who you seem to think we are, and if we are serious about paying release clauses and meeting fees, we will absolutely compete for the top young players.

Wezzaldo

Players can’t be sold from Brazil (well leave )until they’re 18 anyway.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
You're right about the club searching for talents outside the premier league as the prices for players like Antony have been outrageous, so it's a good thing the club isn't participating in those bid wars.

To be fair I was very skeptical when the club was splurging those amounts for untested teenagers from the Brazilian league. It did felt like a big risk and with hindsight it was a good thing the club stuck to their guns and didn't give up on players like Vinicius. All in all I think the club needs to keep making this sort of 'gambles' but also having a mix with the more proven players.

It's a shame things with Ødegaard and Hakimi didn't work out but is possible they can comeback and then there's players like Garnacho and Santiago Gimenez expressing their affinity for Real Madrid.

For Manchester United to adopt this approach they would also need to offer a solid base that helps to develop the young talents. Currently it doesn't seem like the best environment to develop players (like Dortmund for example) or a club challenging for major titles but I'm sure there plenty of talent out there.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There's still a limit to how many they can buy, and Real's squad is bursting now. They really can't take much more in realistically. I also doubt they'll bring in too many other players this season with the huge amount they're spending on Mbappe. Barca are broke. It's probably the ideal year to go for these highly regarded young players. Also, Haaland would have joined Utd had we actually tried to get him. Camavinga and Bellingham (don't recall anything concrete on Tchouameni) are the only 2 recent examples I can think of where we went for a young player and they chose another club (Bellingham chose Dortmund over us, not Real, and it was for game time). Real are not going to sign every single one of the talents I mentioned obviously. They're not going to sign every single one of the hundreds if not thousands of highly rated young players across various countries in the world.
The frequency with which the truly special talents come through on a world scale isn't high or plentiful - it's not a market you can rely on at the very top end - Madrid got those players, but ask yourself how many others have emerged in the same time period who went elsewhere.

The Dortmund model also highlights this as they don't have an abundance of talent to poach, nurture and sell on, certainly not enough for it to be a solid, viable strategy rather than an opportunistic one.

What also has to be considered is most European clubs with extremely special talent do not sell lightly. For them, it's better Madrid don't involve themselves, because once they do, the youngster isn't going anywhere else thus driving his price down as Madrid can then negotiate on terms that are acceptable to them as opposed to if said player was open to going to the suitor offering the best package for their development.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We’re not who you seem to think we are, and if we are serious about paying release clauses and meeting fees, we will absolutely compete for the top young players.
You should explain who you think we are, given money is but a fraction of the valuation and reason players choose where they go to. Those in the very, very top bracket are also the ones most likely to have the best handlers who make sure they go to the most suitable and competent clubs, which is not something we can claim to be.

What do you think we offer that is competitive if we're in direct competition with:

- Madrid
- PSG
- City
- Bayern

for the hottest prospects coming through?

Grande

We could field an eleven like

Heaton

Dalot Kambwala Evans Shaw

Mainoo McTominay

Garnacho Amad Rashford

Højlund

And still have Williams, Mejbri, Pellistri and Martial on the bench.

The challenge is the quality more than the method.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
In this kiddy purchasing realm, we're mostly going to have to shop for B-level and under whilst the S and A tiers, sit tight with the world as their respective oysters. It'll be a rarity indeed for an S-tier youngster to chose us in an open market.
At that young age (16-18) the level isn't written in stone yet. A B-level talent can become an S-tier, if he gets enough support/playing time in his club and have coach is good in developing talents.

mu4c_20le

I'm sure there are some we can sign, but probably not the top ones. We actually did try to sign Vitor Roque for example, if his agent is to be believed. We just don't brag or leak about our failed targets. We were also one of the early ones in for Mbappe back in the day, but had very little chance. So while obviously our recruiting strategy needs improving, is not like we can just go out and start signing Endricks just by paying their release clause.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
At that young age (16-18) the level isn't written in stone yet. A B-level talent can become an S-tier, if he gets enough support/playing time in his club and have coach is good in developing talents.
That is true, but the premise of the thread is those who start out extremely highly touted - or are earmarked as such - who continue that trend and then provide dividends by proving to be the player they were expected to become. S out the gate is obviously the rarest gem of all, but most of these players are ones we all know have their choice of a select few clubs on the planet from the moment they elect to move, who have been chased by the top clubs for years, some even before turning pro. That's a very special pool of players most clubs haven't a prayer of enticing at any point during their ascension, whether they've played 0 games, 5 games or a season as a pro. What Madrid did with Enrick will become more the norm as time passes, I'll wager.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What a broken fax machine does to a man. I’ve been in favor of buying and developing young talent, especially from South America and anyone who grew up around a futsal culture where dribbling and tactical awareness are stronger. Then get the established stars as the final touch later on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You should explain who you think we are, given money is but a fraction of the valuation and reason players choose where they go to. Those in the very, very top bracket are also the ones most likely to have the best handlers who make sure they go to the most suitable and competent clubs, which is not something we can claim to be.

What do you think we offer that is competitive if we're in direct competition with:

- Madrid
- PSG
- City
- Bayern

for the hottest prospects coming through?
Manchester United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm sure there are some we can sign, but probably not the top ones. We actually did try to sign Vitor Roque for example, if his agent is to be believed. We just don't brag or leak about our failed targets. We were also one of the early ones in for Mbappe back in the day, but had very little chance. So while obviously our recruiting strategy needs improving, is not like we can just go out and start signing Endricks just by paying their release clause.
We didn’t try and sign these players. We don’t need to ‘leak’ anything, if we make a serious offer to a club, it will be in the news. There are plenty of players we have tried to sign and have not that you are aware about who are not Vitor Roque. Like Frenkie de Jong, for example. That’s an example of a player we tried to sign.

Chelsea, for example, really try to sign these players. They are trying to sign Estevão, as everyone knows. They tried with Neymar, as everyone knew. And they (annoyingly) signed Kendry Paez. They also tried to sign Nusa I believe. It’s been an afterthought for us. We sort of tried to sign Caicedo. But then Brighton actually went and signed him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Manchester United.
I mean this is your thread, seemingly a topic you're serious about.

Add some value to it instead of acting like we're some mythical beast at the peak of our powers.

What do you think 'Manchester United' does to entice the best young players on the planet to the club, especially over the aforementioned. Unless you weren't talking about competing directly with them for the most coveted youngsters?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mean this is your thread, seemingly a topic you're serious about.

Add some value to it instead of acting like we're some mythical beast at the peak of our powers.

What do you think 'Manchester United' does to entice the best young players on the planet to the club, especially over the aforementioned. Unless you weren't talking about competing directly with them for the most coveted youngsters?
If you feel I need to add more explanation to ‘Manchester United’, then I can’t help you anymore. Because that’s my answer to ‘who is it you think we are’, and I think the answer is enough.

Dazzmondo

You're right about the club searching for talents outside the premier league as the prices for players like Antony have been outrageous, so it's a good thing the club isn't participating in those bid wars.

To be fair I was very skeptical when the club was splurging those amounts for untested teenagers from the Brazilian league. It did felt like a big risk and with hindsight it was a good thing the club stuck to their guns and didn't give up on players like Vinicius. All in all I think the club needs to keep making this sort of 'gambles' but also having a mix with the more proven players.

It's a shame things with Ødegaard and Hakimi didn't work out but is possible they can comeback and then there's players like Garnacho and Santiago Gimenez expressing their affinity for Real Madrid.

For Manchester United to adopt this approach they would also need to offer a solid base that helps to develop the young talents. Currently it doesn't seem like the best environment to develop players (like Dortmund for example) or a club challenging for major titles but I'm sure there plenty of talent out there.
I actually disagree with this. If there's one positive about Utd over the last decade, I'd say it's that we've given young players chances, more than most similar level PL teams. Rashford, Garnacho, Mainoo, Lingard, Hojlund, Greenwood, McTominay. Most of them come through our academy though. I'm not sure why we haven't focused more on buying young players directly for the 1st team. It's probably down to different personnel and strategy between our youth recruitment and 1st team recruitment. That being said, if we actually signed these talented young players, I think they'd get chances in the 1st team.

sourdough satellite

We gonna need our own Juni Calafat in order to properly compete with Madrid in the kiddie player market.

ROFLUTION

We’re already trying to do this to some extend: Højlund, Amad.

We just have less success/luck/capabilities.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We are Manchester United. We should stay true to our roots and do things our own way (in accordance with our core principles, and recalibration of historical precedents). We don't need to be a gauche imitation of Real Madrid.

That aside, the problem with plagiarizing any particular Real Madrid transfer strategy is invariably the same. They occupy a unique pulpit in the pantheon of “superclubs” and have unmatched appeal, due to a carefully contructed image of signing the best players in the world since the 1950s, dominance in terms of contending for (if not winning) Big Ears, and actually throwing their weight around (Manchester United did not do this all that often, even when we were at the peak of our powers and unarguably a Top 2-3 club in the world... you can thank the magnanimous Glazer family, among others, for this). More often the not, the who's who of the footballing world are desperate to board the Madrid Express, that's an established fact by now.
  • When they were signing international stars under Santiago Bernabéu, they were targeting the absolute best of the generation: Di Stéfano, Puskás, Didi, Kopa, Santamaría.
  • When they were signing Galácticos during Florentino Pérez's first term as club president, they were precitably targeting the absolute best of the generation (who were already employed by other major clubs): Zidane (Juventus), Fenômeno (Internazionale), Figo (Barcelona), Beckham (Manchester United).
  • When they were rebuilding during Florentino Pérez's second term as club president, they immediately targeted the absolute best of the generation: Cristiano, Kaká, Benzema.
  • With the latest project, they have again gone for the absolute best talents of this generation: Vinícius, Bellingham, Endrick, Mbappé pretty soon?
Ed Woodward was a bit of a Florentino Pérez stan (and the Galácticos model where you deliberately plump for players at other major clubs), but foolhardily overpaid for Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4 players (and the results were unsurprising, combined with a lower level of organizational acumen and coaching). Manchester United will have to curate the right ecosystem for success, and identify, procure and polish a handful of top, top, top young players (the likes of Wirtz and Estêvão spring to mind, best of the best types in terms of potential... not just garden-variety talents). If you overpay for Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4 talents, and don't develop them properly (our recent record in this department isn't the most flattering, unfortunately — we give them minutes, but do we have the best coaching setup or a top-tier individual/collective developmental model in place?), you are not going to enjoy Real Madrid-esque results.

In the latest iteration, Real Madrid were also building on a ridiculously successful base where they systematically moved on from Cristiano, Ramos and Benzema (with the likes of Modrić, Kroos and Carvajal still at the club as battle-hardened leaders), cleverly prioritized Bosman signings for key positions, and employed coaches who provided the scope for individual expression and relationism (which is arguably the best approach to take with footballers who are individually excellent and capable of determining optimal solutions on their own, but might have been stamped out under more rigid operators), all of it overseen by seasoned operators like Pérez and Sánchez (allied with the scouting and recruitment related expertise of Calafat).

Plus, they have inherent advantages that we won't be able to replicate...
  • For the most part, they are in no danger of Champions League non-qualification. Their wage bill is 4 x Sevilla's (comparable to Fulham's wage bill), 6 x Real Sociedad's (comparable to Bournemouth's wage bill) and so forth. This gives them more margin for error if they decide to go with up-and-comers (not that errors and slip-ups are condoned by Real Madrid's leadership).
  • La Liga is not as explosive or physically demanding as the Premier League, on a week-to-week basis. Young players with a great technical basis find it easier to succeed there, and if they have a physical and athletic edge, they find it easier to reach a dominant level of performance.

OmarUnited4ever

Real also got excellent established players for free like Rudiger and Alaba, and don't forget players like Valverde was brought for the B Team and made an amazing progress that made him a key figure in a team that is stacked with quality and top young midfielders like Tchouameni, Camavinga and Bellingham, and 2 alll timers in Kroos & Modric.

But one thing is key to remember, Real Madrid is still a name that can attract any player, and even though the PL giants + PSG might offer bigger salaries, they still can attract a fair few big names.

Reyoji-Utd

As other said, adopt this strategy when we were in strong position with experienced and compete or winning teams is much more viable. Balance is the best way to achieve it like SAF used to do all the time. He would buy some good experienced players couple with young talents and gradually bedding them in but scouts and an eye for talents is the most important aspect in this strategy.

However, it is always difficult for us to compete with Madrid or Barca even on our highest height because the market pools for those talents are most like to choose Madrid or Barca over us. They have history, culture, weather, city, foods, fames that relate to those talents pools and we dont. The markets places that we can choose from is far lower than the sapinish two and that always going to be a factor in our standing in players mind when they choosing. Madrid will always the undisputed number 1 and the rest will have to make do.

Roboc7

We pay Galactico fees and wages for players that aren’t Galactico quality and that simply has to stop and be replaced with a different strategy.

It seemed crazy that Madrid were paying so much money for kids but they’ve made it work, we don’t have the luxury of spending so much but effectively have to start buying younger and cheaper players.

There is also Chelsea trying to buy young players all over the shop and City doing the same and using their multi club model to have a big talent pool. Teams are showing a plan and ambition for the future not just for now but also for years down the line. Having the foresight to be planning ahead as well as address the current shit show isn’t going to be easy, maybe the Pafundi signing at Lausanne is a sign INEOS may be going to at least try though.