The Reality Draft: Round 1 - Jayvin vs ctp

Who will win with players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

............................................Team @Jayvin ........................................................................................ Team @ctp ......................

TEAM JAYVIN

TACTICS:

An impenetrable backline combined with strong, hardworking midfielders capable of supporting both
phases of play and a deep lying playmaker with a passing range the envy of many; my team is
tailor made for a counter-attacking style. They will absorb pressure before breaking quickly
through the surging runs of Vieira & Mendieta, or use Alonso's pinpoint passing to quickly
release Overmars and Hazard on the flanks.

Hazard and Overmars are both capable of playing on either side, and have instructions to switch
flanks periodically, with Hazard also able to roam into the center and Mendieta then pushing out
wider. This gives my side an element of unpredictability.
The pace and workrate of Overmars and to a lesser extent Hazard will stretch the play and allow
Romario to exploit the gaps left in cpt's defence, while also limiting the ability of his
fullbacks to get forward.

WHY I WILL WIN:

STRENGTH ON THE FLANKS -- ctp's team has no answer to my pace and power on the flanks, Evra
struggled against pacy players like Overmars, while Carvajal is relatively inexperienced. Without
the support of wingers and with only one 'defensive' player in midfield, they will be exposed
time and again. Alonso's ability to pick out the wide men quickly and accurately will further
expose ctp's defenders.

ENERGETIC, ALL-ACTION MIDFIELD -- With Mendieta and Vieira in midfield, my side certainly has the
upper hand in terms of stamina and work rate. They will buzz around getting in the faces of Xavi
and Guardiola, disrupting their passing game and winning the ball back before laying it off for
Alonso to spray the ball wide or surging forward with the ball themselves.

PENALTY BOX MASTER -- Up front in Romario my side has a masterful penalty box predator, capable
of exploiting even the smallest space (Tim Vickery says a square metre for Romario is like an
acre). With Overmars and Hazard stretching the pitch, Romario is certain to find a gap at some
point - even against top quality defenders like Kohler and Carvalho.

TEAM ctp

PLAYERS
My team will set up in a slightly asymmetrical 4-4-2 diamond: the goal will be guarded by the best German goalkeeper of the eighties, Toni Schumacher. He was a mainstay in the German nationalteam, winning the Euros and playing in two World Cup finals. His most famous deed is knocking out Battiston in the semis of the 1982 World Cup, proving that he is just the right kind of nutter for my team. In the centre Jürgen Kohler and Ricardo Carvalho will form a great partnership. Kohler is renowned as one of the best ever stoppers in the game, a very physical player and master of the tackle, but he's also an excellent reader of the game, able to battle it out will all-time great strikers like van Basten (or Romario in this game). Carvalho's more cultured approach offers an excellent foil for Kohler - like he did for Terry in that nearly unbeatable Chelsea defence. He is another great reader of the game and has the allround technique to offer very good build-up play from the back.

They will be flanked by Dani Carvajal and Patrice Evra, two full backs whose strength is certainly in attack, but who are no slouches defensively. Paddy doesn't need an introduction on here, but I'd like to remind everyone that he was a key part of the best defence in the world (07-09). Carvajal on the other side is still a young player, but after impressing for Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, he has been a starter for the current CL winners, Real Madrid, for over a year.

My midfield diamond is anchored by Pep Guardiola. He will reprise the role he fulfilled brilliantly for Cruyff's dream team, combining silky playmaking with fantastic anticipation and a touch of steel. On the left side of the diamond, Xavi will work his magic. Everyone knows what he can do. He was the heart of one of the greatest club sides and perhaps the best national team ever, notorious for never losing possession and his tireless running in midfield, making him the greatest midfielder of his generation. We shouldn't forget his creativity, at his peak he managed more than 30 assists in a season, and my attackers will love to run onto his through balls. Tomas Brolin will be his counterpart. He will have to display the form he showed at the 94 World Cup for Sweden, adding the industry, excellent passing and dribbling from the right side of midfield, that won him fourth place in the Ballon d'Or.

At the tip of the diamond I have the 2007 Ballon d'Or winner and key player in Milan's CL victory that year, Kakà. A player who proves that nominative determinism is bollocks, Kakà excelled through his speed on the counter attack, his silky touch and his goal threat. He is reunited with his partner in crime, Andriy Shevchenko, another Ballon d'Or winner and one of the best strikers of the noughties. While fast and excellent technically, he shines most inside the box. Sheva is an instinctive goalscorer who will always be first to a loose ball and he will love to get on the end of Xavi and Kakà's passes. The final piece in the puzzle is Grzegorz Lato: the Pole is combines speed with a goal threat that makes him one of the best ever wide forwards. He is famously the key player in the Poland side that came third in 74, finishing the tournament as topscorer as well as scoring nearly one in two throughout his career.

TACTICS
Our style in this game will be quite gung-ho. Off the ball, we will set up in a 4-3-3 pressing system high up the pitch. The strikers will move a bit to the sides with Kakà pushing onto the opposition centre backs. I feel that my team, midfield especially, is better technically and superior in tight spaces, so we will do our best to make it hard for them to keep the ball and hound them relentlessly. Romario is Jayvin's main threat and I want him to see as little of the ball as possible as far away from my goal as possible, and this will accomplish it. My strikers and midfielders are hard workers capable of pulling off this strategy. In defence, Kohler and Carvalho are excellent readers of the game and have the necessary intelligence to cover for my midfield and for each other when Jayvin's team breaks through my pressing.

After winning the ball, we will go for fast transitions whenever possible. Xavi and Pep can set up the counter, Kakà, Sheva and Lato have the deadly pace to turn it into goals. If I can't immediately hit a counter attack and Jayvin's team has time to get into position, my team is also capable of a slower approach. Attacks will go mainly down the right side - I can overload it with Brolin, whose dribbling adds another dimension to my attack, Lato pulling wide, and an attacking full back in Carvajal. On the left, Evra is my main attacking outlet - at United he often had the job to provide width for a striker moving centrally, and he will do something similar here. In the middle, Shevchenko will be lurking around the box, Kakà will hope to hit one of his long range screamers and there are few better at finding a hole in the defence for a through ball than a peak Xavi.

And if I ever get ahead, I can slow down the game - keep the ball in midfield and starve Jayvin of possession. Xavi, Pep, Kakà and Brolin will take care of it.

Last edited:

sajeev

@ctp post your tactics soon. Currently I am leaning towards ctp, but I am not going to vote till I have his description of what he plans to achieve (I have an idea though)

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surprised ctp didn't start with Paulo Sousa, as it stands I feel he lacks energy and work rate in the middle, whereas I have that in abundance. He certainly has some fantastic passers and will likely dominate possession, but I feel my side would destroy him on the counter, particularly on the flanks where he is asking a lot from his fullbacks. I don't see Xavi or Brolin covering for them defensively that well

ctp

PLAYERS
My team will set up in a slightly asymmetrical 4-4-2 diamond: the goal will be guarded by the best German goalkeeper of the eighties, Toni Schumacher. He was a mainstay in the German nationalteam, winning the Euros and playing in two World Cup finals. His most famous deed is knocking out Battiston in the semis of the 1982 World Cup, proving that he is just the right kind of nutter for my team. In the centre Jürgen Kohler and Ricardo Carvalho will form a great partnership. Kohler is renowned as one of the best ever stoppers in the game, a very physical player and master of the tackle, but he's also an excellent reader of the game, able to battle it out will all-time great strikers like van Basten (or Romario in this game). Carvalho's more cultured approach offers an excellent foil for Kohler - like he did for Terry in that nearly unbeatable Chelsea defence. He is another great reader of the game and has the allround technique to offer very good build-up play from the back.

They will be flanked by Dani Carvajal and Patrice Evra, two full backs whose strength is certainly in attack, but who are no slouches defensively. Paddy doesn't need an introduction on here, but I'd like to remind everyone that he was a key part of the best defence in the world (07-09). Carvajal on the other side is still a young player, but after impressing for Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, he has been a starter for the current CL winners, Real Madrid, for over a year.

My midfield diamond is anchored by Pep Guardiola. He will reprise the role he fulfilled brilliantly for Cruyff's dream team, combining silky playmaking with fantastic anticipation and a touch of steel. On the left side of the diamond, Xavi will work his magic. Everyone knows what he can do. He was the heart of one of the greatest club sides and perhaps the best national team ever, notorious for never losing possession and his tireless running in midfield, making him the greatest midfielder of his generation. We shouldn't forget his creativity, at his peak he managed more than 30 assists in a season, and my attackers will love to run onto his through balls. Tomas Brolin will be his counterpart. He will have to display the form he showed at the 94 World Cup for Sweden, adding the industry, excellent passing and dribbling from the right side of midfield, that won him fourth place in the Ballon d'Or.

At the tip of the diamond I have the 2007 Ballon d'Or winner and key player in Milan's CL victory that year, Kakà. A player who proves that nominative determinism is bollocks, Kakà excelled through his speed on the counter attack, his silky touch and his goal threat. He is reunited with his partner in crime, Andriy Shevchenko, another Ballon d'Or winner and one of the best strikers of the noughties. While fast and excellent technically, he shines most inside the box. Sheva is an instinctive goalscorer who will always be first to a loose ball and he will love to get on the end of Xavi and Kakà's passes. The final piece in the puzzle is Grzegorz Lato: the Pole is combines speed with a goal threat that makes him one of the best ever wide forwards. He is famously the key player in the Poland side that came third in 74, finishing the tournament as topscorer as well as scoring nearly one in two throughout his career.

TACTICS
Our style in this game will be quite gung-ho. Off the ball, we will set up in a 4-3-3 pressing system high up the pitch. The strikers will move a bit to the sides with Kakà pushing onto the opposition centre backs. I feel that my team, midfield especially, is better technically and superior in tight spaces, so we will do our best to make it hard for them to keep the ball and hound them relentlessly. Romario is Jayvin's main threat and I want him to see as little of the ball as possible as far away from my goal as possible, and this will accomplish it. My strikers and midfielders are hard workers capable of pulling off this strategy. In defence, Kohler and Carvalho are excellent readers of the game and have the necessary intelligence to cover for my midfield and for each other when Jayvin's team breaks through my pressing.

After winning the ball, we will go for fast transitions whenever possible. Xavi and Pep can set up the counter, Kakà, Sheva and Lato have the deadly pace to turn it into goals. If I can't immediately hit a counter attack and Jayvin's team has time to get into position, my team is also capable of a slower approach. Attacks will go mainly down the right side - I can overload it with Brolin, whose dribbling adds another dimension to my attack, Lato pulling wide, and an attacking full back in Carvajal. On the left, Evra is my main attacking outlet - at United he often had the job to provide width for a striker moving centrally, and he will do something similar here. In the middle, Shevchenko will be lurking around the box, Kakà will hope to hit one of his long range screamers and there are few better at finding a hole in the defence for a through ball than a peak Xavi.

And if I ever get ahead, I can slow down the game - keep the ball in midfield and starve Jayvin of possession. Xavi, Pep, Kakà and Brolin will take care of it.

ctp

Surprised ctp didn't start with Paulo Sousa, as it stands I feel he lacks energy and work rate in the middle, whereas I have that in abundance. He certainly has some fantastic passers and will likely dominate possession, but I feel my side would destroy him on the counter, particularly on the flanks where he is asking a lot from his fullbacks. I don't see Xavi or Brolin covering for them defensively that well
Who would you have left out for Sousa? Keep in mind that I had to play Xavi and Brolin. Don't think I'm lacking in workrate by the way. Xavi especially works extremely hard and Brolin definitely can if he's arsed (c.f. Sweden 94). If he doesn't, I'll get Pep to do this to him:

Jayvin

On the other hand Jayvin does not have great playmaketrs
I don't think I really NEED a number 10 style playmaker in this system, but in any case I reckon between Alonso, Hazard and Mendieta I've got enough guile and passing ability to make up for it. ctp states in his tactics that his team will be pressing high up the pitch, so when he loses possession all Alonso has to do is ping it wide and ctp is in deep trouble.

ctp

KEY TARGETS
Jayvin's most dangerous players are Xabi Alonso and Romario. My pressing system will hopefully take the sting out of Alonso, similar to how Dortmund negated him in the CL clashes with Real. He will be closed down very quickly, to give him no time to spread the play, which is what he's so good at when left alone. Romario is harder to shut down, not at all really. While my defence is really good, I wouldn't trust anyone to reliably deal with Romario the whole game. The solution is thus to reduce his impact as much as possible, cut off his service.

Jayvin

In defence, Kohler and Carvalho are excellent readers of the game and have the necessary intelligence to cover for my midfield and for each other when Jayvin's team breaks through my pressing.
Who is going to help out Evra and Carvajal defensively? Certainly not Xavi or Brolin, and if your centrebacks have to cover for them then Romario will have a field day with all that space.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
First impressions: 1. Jayvin's team looks more balanced. 2. Not sure about Brolin in that role. Will study the tactics more closely, though.

ctp

Who is going to help out Evra and Carvajal defensively? Certainly not Xavi or Brolin, and if your centrebacks have to cover for them then Romario will have a field day with all that space.
Depends a bit on where the other players in your team are positioned. The normal set up would be the fullback against the winger, with the close CB to cover if he gets beaten, the other marking Romario. If you add a fullback to the mix, he will be tracked by the closest midfielder.

ctp

RISK
I'm taking a fairly big risk with my tactics here. I feel like an even game with a more measured set-up would suit Jayvin more, especially on the strength of his defence. The best way to beat it, is to hit them in transition. Lose the ball in the build-up, defence not organised for a few (split-) seconds, and Kakà, Sheva, Lato can really get at you. At the same time this is the best way of reducing Alonso's influence. "All guns blazing" is the approach here, I'm trying to hit him early and hit him hard, and if possible nab an early goal. Or die trying.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
@ctp
I am not really sure if your attack and your midfield are really on the same page. You say that you are pressing high up the pitch to counterattack? Doesnt make much sense. Kaka is one of the best counterattacking players, when he has space ahead of him, but I dont think that he´ll do particularly well in your system.

ctp

@ctp
I am not really sure if your attack and your midfield are really on the same page. You say that you are pressing high up the pitch to counterattack? Doesnt make much sense. Kaka is one of the best counterattacking players, when he has space ahead of him, but I dont think that he´ll do particularly well in your system.
Then don't call it counter attack, just quick transitions. My system is a bit different, but think of Dortmund, high pressing and fast, vertical attacking after winning the ball.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Wow, what a difference a Ribery makes... Was more enthusiastic about ctp's original side pre-Tevez. I'm not really quite sure how he can win this. Jayvin's defence deals with his attack comfortably, his midfield is far more balanced and Romario always has a goal in him if serviced and supported properly. I also buy the logic for how Overmars and Hazard are arranged to use Mendieta, well thought out.

Sorry ctp :(

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
RISK
I'm taking a fairly big risk with my tactics here. I feel like an even game with a more measured set-up would suit Jayvin more, especially on the strength of his defence. The best way to beat it, is to hit them in transition. Lose the ball in the build-up, defence not organised for a few (split-) seconds, and Kakà, Sheva, Lato can really get at you. At the same time this is the best way of reducing Alonso's influence. "All guns blazing" is the approach here, I'm trying to hit him early and hit him hard, and if possible nab an early goal. Or die trying.
I like that. But the obvious question then becomes whether you have enough bricks in the wall to withstand his assault once you're one up. In a purely defensive sense I question your midfield. To me it looks like Brolin plays a role which would suit a less offensive player (and I consider Brolin to be very much the latter).*

* That is I consider him a very offensive player and certainly not a well rounded midfielder.

Annahnomoss

First impressions: 1. Jayvin's team looks more balanced. 2. Not sure about Brolin in that role. Will study the tactics more closely, though.
It is a great role for him. He had his best ever performance when he wasn't allowed to be the star of the Swedish National team anymore in 94 and was shunted out wide right as a RM compared to his previous performance as an AM and CM. He ended up tied fourth with Hagi - ahead of Klinsmann, Savicevic, Desailly, Laudrup, Litmanen, Cantona, Matthaus.

So this role would suit him, being away from the limelight would suit him even if he never liked it when it happened to him. Similar transformation to what Robben did who just started shining after he started playing two way football even if he was sulking about it when it happened.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It is a great role for him. He had his best ever performance when he wasn't allowed to be the star of the Swedish National team anymore in 94 and was shunted out wide right as a RM compared to his previous performance as an AM and CM. He ended up tied fourth with Hagi - ahead of Klinsmann, Savicevic, Desailly, Laudrup, Litmanen, Cantona, Matthaus.

So this role would suit him, being away from the limelight would suit him even if he never liked it when it happened to him. Similar transformation to what Robben did who just started shining after he started playing two way football even if he was sulking about it when it happened.
He's not playing out wide as such, though. He's being presented as Xavi's counterpart in what I perceive to be a diamond of sorts. Brolin offers very little defensively. Your psychological take on it notwithstanding, the set-up here is clearly different from that of Sweden '94. For my money this team would look more solid with a more complete midfielder in that counterpart-to-Xavi role.

The problem is, of course, that Brolin has to play - ctp can't bench him. Personally I probably would've gone for a different formation altogether. Or a different sort of diamond, perhaps - making Sousa Xavi's counterpart, playing Brolin in the hole with Sheva and Lato up front. The latter would naturally drift out wide to provide some width - and a target for long passes from Pep (and Sousa - who was no mug in that regard).

It would mean dropping Kaka, of course.

Annahnomoss

Hazard, Overmars and Romario is clearly too good to not create something over a game. Overmars and Vieira will win this for Jayvin by dominating their flank and being very much the set up CTP had to avoid. His midfield is light, which isn't always a negative - but when up against such a physical pairing it certainly is.

This is the sort of match where if CTP were to go 1-0 he could win this match and threaten with more goals but over 10 games it would go to Jayvin more often.

Annahnomoss

He's not playing out wide as such, though. He's being presented as Xavi's counterpart in what I perceive to be a diamond of sorts. Brolin offers very little defensively. Your psychological take on it notwithstanding, the set-up here is clearly different from that of Sweden '94. For my money this team would look more solid with a more complete midfielder in that counterpart-to-Xavi role.

The problem is, of course, that Brolin has to play - ctp can't bench him. Personally I probably would've gone for a different formation altogether. Or a different sort of diamond, perhaps - making Sousa Xavi's counterpart, playing Brolin in the hole with Sheva and Lato up front. The latter would naturally drift out wide to provide some width - and a target for long passes from Pep (and Sousa - who was no mug in that regard).

I completely disagree with that(Brolin part, not his midfield in general or the match). Brolin started his career further up field but after the purchases of Zola and Crippa in 93-94 he was moved down and played better than ever before by adding defensive discipline and work-rate. He was only 25 when he came 4th in the Ballon, could have gone on to compete for the Ballon in the coming 5-6 years if it wasn't for his injury which he never came back from. He was on a huge upwards form and improving year by year, which is why he is today rated as one of the very best Swedish footballers ever. Ahead of the likes of Ljungberg and Andersson who are far, far more popular outside of Sweden.

antohan

Yups, was never going to get away with that trio in my mind, just stick him somewhere where he doesn't completely screw up the balance.

Jayvin

I think ctp has a good side, and I can see how it would work in an attacking sense, I just don't think he has an answer to the threat posed by my wide players. I'm also not sure about the Dortmund comparison to be honest, the personnel are quite different; they had a ballwinner in Bender and two hardworking wingers, whereas ctp has two midfielders more suited to a possession based game, along with Kaka who is more effective in a counter-attacking system.

I'll leave it there for tonight I think, decent start. I'm off to bed

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Really like both teams here, esp the midfield battles. ctp's midfield is brilliant passing-wise and looks a replica of the 09/10 Barca side so I don't buy the midfield being too lightweight or lacking work-rate. Xavi and Pep were intelligent player but by no means slouches. They could work their arse off when needed and you can see them rarely losing the ball and will be dominating possession anyway. The way Kaka and Lato complement the team whilst providing penetration and intelligent movement is also a thing to note. Shevchenko was also lethal and could score goals out of nowhere. He will be giddy with joy at having Xavi, Pep and Kaka behind providing glorious service

Jayvin's midfield looks more well-balanced and all-round with physicality and some good passers albeit not being on the level of ctp's midfield. You can see Viera and Mendieta making it harder for ctp's side to dominate the midfield and Alonso can do a fine job of screening the defense subtlety as well.

I think most other midfields would have lost against jayvin's if they attacked them head on with more physical, dominating players but with the trio of Pep, Xavi and Brolin you can see them outwitting his midfield.

A few other points

Romario would find it exceptionally hard to get the better of Kohler in the box who is a beast of a defender and a phenomenal man-marker as well.

Evra and Carvajal are likely to be really adventurous this game however, I am not sure if they can make much of an impact. Lato can drop wide to support Carvajal but I really feel these two aren't offensively talented enough to be left on the flanks alone for most of the game. They are willing runners and can provide width but I feel they two rely on overlapping runs with a wider player in front of them. Esp Evra who was pretty bad when he was left alone in the flank for United with no one to support him if I am not mistaken.

Moreover, you can see the speedy Overmars and Hazard absolutely loving the space they will get on counter-attacks once these two full-backs bomb forward to provide much-needed width for ctp's team. I know Guardiola can cover for them but a more defensive player like Gattuso or Makelele could have done a better job in this regard. That is not to say I am criticising the Guardiola inclusion, he was an integral component of the Cruyff's dream side and in crucial to the way you've set up. I just think the team is fairly vulnerable to counter-attacks esp with Overmars and Hazard on the flanks. On the flipside though you don't see them contributing enough to the defensive phase of the game once Evra and Carvajal go forward.

I will refrain from voting for now as I can see this going either way...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I completely disagree with that(Brolin part, not his midfield in general or the match). Brolin started his career further up field but after the purchases of Zola and Crippa in 93-94 he was moved down and played better than ever before by adding defensive discipline and work-rate. He was only 25 when he came 4th in the Ballon, could have gone on to compete for the Ballon in the coming 5-6 years if it wasn't for his injury which he never came back from. He was on a huge upwards form and improving year by year, which is why he is today rated as one of the very best Swedish footballers ever. Ahead of the likes of Ljungberg and Andersson who are far, far more popular outside of Sweden.

Alright. I'll take your word for it. I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that Brolin was ever anything resembling, let's say, an allround midfielder, though. And the role you describe above is, again, a different one from the one he seemingly plays here, not least because the general set-up is completely different.

Annahnomoss

Alright. I'll take your word for it. I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that Brolin was ever anything resembling, let's say, an allround midfielder, though. And the role you describe above is, again, a different one from the one he seemingly plays here, not least because the general set-up is completely different.
I think Brolin is perfect in the role he is playing here. The issue is that the overall midfield is too lightweight but that isn't down to how he is playing Brolin, it is about who he is partnering Brolin with - who is a forced starter.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he had the fortune to come up against a less physical right side than Vieira and Overmars. In the attack the odd man out for me is Kaka who'd suit a counter attacking style more and Xavi and Brolin.

antohan

I think most other midfields would have lost against jayvin's if they attacked them head on with more physical, dominating players but with the trio of Pep, Xavi and Brolin you can see them outwitting his midfield.
True, I couldn't compare them head-to-head as they will clearly be approaching the game in very different ways. I can see how Jayvin will be going about things straight away though, and everyone is well suited to their role, while I'm left with a lot of retro-fitting and asssumptions to make with ctp. Kaká and that left flank in particular are huge question marks.

antohan

Indeed, two DMs next to him albeit with Crippa more of a CM, but along with Pin doing much of the heavy-lifting, while you clearly see Brolin is destined to come forth and form an attacking trio as and when.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think Brolin is perfect in the role he is playing here. The issue is that the overall midfield is too lightweight but that isn't down to how he is playing Brolin, it is about who he is partnering Brolin with - who is a forced starter.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it if he had the fortune to come up against a less physical right side than Vieira and Overmars. In the attack the odd man out for me is Kaka who'd suit a counter attacking style more and Xavi and Brolin.
Fair enough. But a) Brolin's transformation into a more well rounded, defensively sounder midfielder - a brief enough spell at any rate, given his rapid decline - is borderline esoteric knowledge and as such a hard-sell; and b) whether his role suits him perfectly or not isn't really the question here: The balance of that midfield is off no matter how you look at it - and in my opinion it would be less off with Brolin in a different, more blatantly offensive role. Which probably means dropping Kaka - but so be it, sacrifices must be made no matter what.

antohan

Fair enough. But a) Brolin's transformation into a more well rounded, defensively sounder midfielder - a brief enough spell at any rate, given his rapid decline - is borderline esoteric knowledge and as such a hard-sell; and b) whether his role suits him perfectly or not isn't really the question here: The balance of that midfield is off no matter how you look at it - and in my opinion it would be less off with Brolin in a different, more blatantly offensive role. Which probably means dropping Kaka - but so be it, sacrifices must be made no matter what.
Thing is Kaká doesn't do it at all for me there, you would expect Brolin, presumably in an Iniesta role to occupy that space anyway. Surely ctp would have been better off getting someone to play wide left? I know he lost Ribery, but after Kaká others picked Totti, Pires... Villa himself would have made far more sense. The 90s round had a fair few options too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

You can get away with being lighter in midfield with a back three and solid wing backs behind you than a mere back four. Parma had a well gelled 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 set-up that freed up Brolin to link midfield and attack.

Annahnomoss

Thing is Kaká doesn't do it at all for me there, you would expect Brolin, presumably in an Iniesta role to occupy that space anyway. Surely ctp would have been better off getting someone to play wide left? I know he lost Ribery, but after Kaká others picked Totti, Pires... Villa himself would have made far more sense. The 90s round had a fair few options too.
This is my opinion too.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Aye. I don't quite see the logic behind some of the picks. He went for Lato and Pep as his two big ones, from what I can see. The latter's role is pretty much given - and as such I don't really understand him going for some of his other picks. It's hard to see a perfectly balanced midfield featuring both Pep and Sousa, for instance - but, again, I'd rather play those two in some configuration and drop Kaka.

Did anyone pick up Pires, by the way?

antohan

Aye. I don't quite see the logic behind some of the picks. He went for Lato and Pep as his two big ones, from what I can see. The latter's role is pretty much given - and as such I don't really understand him going for some of his other picks. It's hard to see a perfectly balanced midfield featuring both Pep and Sousa, for instance - but, again, I'd rather play those two in some configuration and drop Kaka.

Did anyone pick up Pires, by the way?
Yes, someone did. I asssume Sousa was insurance for Rio/Hargo taking Guardiola away and, with him, the entire setup :lol: