The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Kazi

Hearn will probably still try to make it happen cause he needs to fill his Sky PPV quota. Having said that, I highly doubt Showtime would put this fight on PPV in the US now. Surely Hearn realises that GGG-Froch (if it happened in the UK) would do big numbers at the gate, would do more domestic PPVs than Froch-Jr due to the fight being in the evening rather than the early hours of the morning, and GGG would have to be coming up to Froch's weightclass, rather than Froch going up to whatever catchweight Chavez feels like weighing in at. Oh, and Froch would get so much more respect from the boxing world.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Hearn will probably still try to make it happen cause he needs to fill his Sky PPV quota. Having said that, I highly doubt Showtime would put this fight on PPV in the US now. Surely Hearn realises that GGG-Froch (if it happened in the UK) would do big numbers at the gate, would do more domestic PPVs than Froch-Jr due to the fight being in the evening rather than the early hours of the morning, and GGG would have to be coming up to Froch's weightclass, rather than Froch going up to whatever catchweight Chavez feels like weighing in at. Oh, and Froch would get so much more respect from the boxing world.
He'd also get dropped heavily and suffer another loss.

FC Ronaldo

Froch is the bigger man and one of the toughest fighters in the game. It would be a new experience for GGG.
GGG dropped Kovalev (a big LHW as you'll know) in sparring and has never tasted a knockdown in his life.

Froch has a granite chin indeed and I'm a huge fan of his. One of Britain's finest warriors in the ring ever. But the simple truth is he's also been dropped by Taylor and Groves, the second one in spectacular fashion. His 2 losses came against Ward, who was the bigger, stronger man and tactically outclassed him and a contentious points loss in a like for like slugfest against Kessler that he avenged.

Every single one of Froch's flaws however are GGG's strengths if that matchup ever got made. Froch struggles when people push a pace on him and smother his work - GGG is the absolute master at keeping an aggressive, controlled pace and cutting the ring off from the middle to do so. Froch's positioning is to face up to a man when throwing shots - GGG can throw with both hands, hurts with any type of shot and is arguably the finest boxer at timing when to attack a fighter as they're moving away from him as there is in boxing, just ask Martin Murray. Froch is a relatively slow puncher too when not leading off with his jab, anything from the back hand can be read and countered - GGG is a faster puncher than Froch and can throw counters from any angle with devastating effect.

Hypothetical boxing matches are all opinions of course and I'd love to know where you feel Froch could capitalise other than a hail mary shot. I just personally cannot see him being able to escape the pressure, the blows or the speed and timing of GGG, especially this late in his career. Don't get me wrong though, if it ever got made - I'd want Carl to end with the W.

FWIW:

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Golovkin would easily outclass Froch. He would more than likely KO him too, to be honest. Golovkin is great though.

Classical Mechanic

@FC Ronaldo

So you are asking me how a naturally bigger fighter with a 3" height and 5" reach advantage could beat a pressure fighter, really? Box tall and work the jab, use his physical advantages. Golovkin is actually perfect to be worked in that way so long as you can deal with his strength and power. Froch being the naturally bigger man, one with top level endurance to punishment, has the base to do that.

Do I know if that would work put in practice? No is the answer. I wouldn't necessarily pick Froch to win considering the career he has had, earlier in his career when he was fresher I would be tempeted to. Golovkin has never fought at a level any higher than B- in the middleweight division. I am a big fan and think that he could be the real deal but like I said before, Froch would be a new experience for him. Froch demonstrated against Abrahams exactly how to deal with an opponent of Golovkin's build, different order of magnitude of course but the blueprint is already there for you.

I totally disagree with you that Golovkin is a stylistic nightmare for Froch. Roy Jones in his prime would be that man for me. Froch struggles against fighters with hand and foot speed especially. Taylor, Dirrell, Ward and Groves to a lesser degree were all greatly superior in that regard to him, boxers capable of going in and out of range at speed. Golovkin has one gear and that is forward, he isn't fast of foot or hand either in my eyes, probably higher average. His strengths are educated pressure, obviously his power and his toughness. All those strengths are weakened against a taller, narturally heavier boxer with significantly greater reach and good punching power at a higher weight.

I would back Golovkin to win as I do think he would have too much for him at this stage over 12. But I would not be surprised to see Froch work him over and see the hype bubble burst

Zen

Golovkin is so feared he can't get a real payday. Canelo would step up but he's golden boys future ..... golden boy, so the risk is too large, same for Floyd despite the fact that winning this fight would destroy so many doubts on his legacy it's unreal .... only bigger fighters are even name dropping him out of desperation for a payday fight, but they'll get stuffed too once he connects.

Kazi

Canelo took the risk against Lara when Oscar was totally against it. I'm sure he'll do the same vs GGG when the time's right. It'd be PPV and Canelo would have his second biggest payday.

Last edited:

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Golovkin is so feared he can't get a real payday. Canelo would step up but he's golden boys future ..... golden boy, so the risk is too large, same for Floyd despite the fact that winning this fight would destroy so many doubts on his legacy it's unreal .... only bigger fighters are even name dropping him out of desperation for a payday fight, but they'll get stuffed too once he connects.
It certainly would! Absolutely no chance of him taking that fight, it's been enough of a slog trying to get him to face a smaller guy like Pacquiao with huge financial rewards on offer.

RedFish

@FC Ronaldo

So you are asking me how a naturally bigger fighter with a 3" height and 5" reach advantage could beat a pressure fighter, really? Box tall and work the jab, use his physical advantages. Golovkin is actually perfect to be worked in that way so long as you can deal with his strength and power. Froch being the naturally bigger man, one with top level endurance to punishment, has the base to do that.

Do I know if that would work put in practice? No is the answer. I wouldn't necessarily pick Froch to win considering the career he has had, earlier in his career when he was fresher I would be tempeted to. Golovkin has never fought at a level any higher than B- in the middleweight division. I am a big fan and think that he could be the real deal but like I said before, Froch would be a new experience for him. Froch demonstrated against Abrahams exactly how to deal with an opponent of Golovkin's build, different order of magnitude of course but the blueprint is already there for you.

I totally disagree with you that Golovkin is a stylistic nightmare for Froch. Roy Jones in his prime would be that man for me. Froch struggles against fighters with hand and foot speed especially. Taylor, Dirrell, Ward and Groves to a lesser degree were all greatly superior in that regard to him, boxers capable of going in and out of range at speed. Golovkin has one gear and that is forward, he isn't fast of foot or hand either in my eyes, probably higher average. His strengths are educated pressure, obviously his power and his toughness. All those strengths are weakened against a taller, narturally heavier boxer with significantly greater reach and good punching power at a higher weight.

I would back Golovkin to win as I do think he would have too much for him at this stage over 12. But I would not be surprIised to see Froch work him over and see the hype bubble burst
Froch is a hard man, I have immense respect for his fighting capabilities, but against Golovkin, i think he will have met his match. Punches seem to just bounce off Golovkin like water off a duck's back. That, combined with this precocious ability to not waste any punches, despite throwing a good volume of them makes him a nasty prospect for any fighter. I too wouldn't rule Froch out all together though, he's a natural prize fighter and has proved his worth many times. Would he be able to use his greater reach to his advantage? I don't think he is the type of clinical boxer who can box in and out. At some stage, they will end up trading punches and I fear Golovkin would dominate those exchanges eventually stopping Froch.

Classical Mechanic

Froch is a hard man, I have immense respect for his fighting capabilities, but against Golovkin, i think he will have met his match. Punches seem to just bounce off Golovkin like water off a duck's back. That, combined with this precocious ability to not waste any punches, despite throwing a good volume of them makes him a nasty prospect for any fighter. I too wouldn't rule Froch out all together though, he's a natural prize fighter and has proved his worth many times. Would he be able to use his greater reach to his advantage? I don't think he is the type of clinical boxer who can box in and out. At some stage, they will end up trading punches and I fear Golovkin would dominate those exchanges eventually stopping Froch.
I tend to agree his footwork isn't good enough to really execute that fight plan against Golovkin over 12 and he probably doesn't have the durability anymore.

Golovkin isn't hard to hit and he would have to come through a couple to close the range each time, that gives Froch an opening and something to work from. Once Golovkin got close he would had to tie him up and lean on him. Froch can match him for strength. You saw against Murray that Golovkin did tire and was slowed down a little. Murray is kind of feather fisted so if Froch could hang in there there is would be interesting to see what Froch's power could do to him over the course of a fight. Don't forget either, Froch does not lose his power during fights, it is partly what makes him so dangerous, that late on he is still hitting hard and often.

RedFish

I tend to agree his footwork isn't good enough to really execute that fight plan against Golovkin over 12 and he probably doesn't have the durability anymore.

Golovkin isn't hard to hit and he would have to come through a couple to close the range each time, that gives Froch an opening and something to work from. Once Golovkin got close he would had to tie him up and lean on him. Froch can match him for strength. You saw against Murray that Golovkin did tire and was slowed down a little. Murray is kind of feather fisted so if Froch could hang in there there is would be interesting to see what Froch's power could do to him over the course of a fight. Don't forget either, Froch does not lose his power during fights, it is partly what makes him so dangerous, that late on he is still hitting hard and often.
One thing that has struck me when I watch Golovkin, is how effortlessly he dominates the centre of the ring. He cuts off the ring so well, that really to engage him is the only option, and unless you're Mayweather, most will struggle. I suppose if you're good boxing on the back foot and can still hit hard enough....I remember Frampton's first fight against Kiko Martinez how brilliant he was on the backfoot against someone who is very aggressive going forward, but not everyone has the talent of the man from Belfast.

Classical Mechanic

One thing that has struck me when I watch Golovkin, is how effortlessly he dominates the centre of the ring. He cuts off the ring so well, that really to engage him is the only option, and unless you're Mayweather, most will struggle. I suppose if you're good boxing on the back foot and can still hit hard enough....I remember Frampton's first fight against Kiko Martinez how brilliant he was on the backfoot against someone who is very aggressive going forward, but not everyone has the talent of the man from Belfast.
Yeah but it easier to control the centre of the ring when you are stronger than your opponent, add that to his awesome power and he is just too much for anyone in that weight class, his own natural weight class in which he is an absolute bull. Step up a division against a very strong fighter natural to that weight class and those advantages are reduced.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is the Klitschko v Jennings fight on at 2am? For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that Mayweather/Pac was tonight, rather than next week, so the Klitschko fight might be minor consolation in the meantime...

Kazi

Is the Klitschko v Jennings fight on at 2am? For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that Mayweather/Pac was tonight, rather than next week, so the Klitschko fight might be minor consolation in the meantime...
Probably start a bit later than that. Not sure exactly how late cause it's in NYC rather than Vegas.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Probably start a bit later than that. Not sure exactly how late cause it's in NYC rather than Vegas.
Cheers. Seen it's on boxnation and they are saying they are on air from 1am. Dunno how much of the undercard they are showing though. Dunno how easy it will be to get a stream...

Kazi

Cheers. Seen it's on boxnation and they are saying they are on air from 1am. Dunno how much of the undercard they are showing though. Dunno how easy it will be to get a stream...
My usual site hasn't got a link up for the fight yet.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Was Wlad clipped, stunned or rocked at any stage?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Was Wlad clipped, stunned or rocked at any stage?
Jennings landed a punch or two to Wlad's face at various times in the middle of the bout. One of them stung him a bit but he recovered quickly. He was never really in danger.

Fury would be a good fight since Klitschko's jab would more or less be neutralized by Fury's reach and his own jab. Plus Wlad is pushing 40 so i can't see him winning indefinitely. I'd imagine he has about 2-3 years left in his tank.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
http://www1.skysports.com/mayweathe...should-end-career-with-bout-against-amir-khan

The father of unbeaten Floyd Mayweather believes his son should end his illustrious career with "an easy fight" against leading British welterweight Amir Khan.

After 48 bouts as a professional, which have all ended in victory, Mayweather junior is planning to have one more battle, to see out his Showtime contract, before retiring later this year.

And Mayweather senior reckons that fight should be against Khan, who was at ringside to watch the American's victory over Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.
He said: "Given he's fought all the hard hitters, my son needs to get his contract and end it with an easy fight.

"He don’t need no tough fight. Khan would be a good fight for him. My son would beat him, I know.

"Khan has a pretty decent jab but all the technical things, he can't do."

After beating Pacquiao, Mayweather junior said: "My last fight is in September, and then it’s time for me to hang it up.
"I'm almost 40 years old now. I’ve been in the sport 19 years and have been a champion for 18 years. I’ve been truly blessed."

As for Khan, who has been chasing a clash with Mayweather for the past few years, he next fights on May 29 in New York where the 28-year-old from Bolton takes on Chris Algieri.

I am actually certain Amir Khan has what it takes to beat Floyd. He has developed massively.

Dante

Average bang
It would be hilarious on so many levels if Khan beat Mayweather. Khan would bring a lot of money to the table thanks to his following in the UK, so it's definitely a fight that's feasible. But I can't see anything other than a Mayweather win, unfortunately.

Revan

Assumptionman
It would be hilarious on so many levels if Khan beat Mayweather. Khan would bring a lot of money to the table thanks to his following in the UK, so it's definitely a fight that's feasible. But I can't see anything other than a Mayweather win, unfortunately.
Yep, it would be grand. Haven't seen much of Khan though, but from some highlights (not a good way to judge anything) he hardly looks that impressive.

Is he an attacking boxer? The closest I have seen to Mayweather getting defeated was De La Hoya and Maidana. Maidana was especially super offensive. If Khan can do the same, then he has a slim chance of winning.

Oggmonster

Yep, it would be grand. Haven't seen much of Khan though, but from some highlights (not a good way to judge anything) he hardly looks that impressive.

Is he an attacking boxer? The closest I have seen to Mayweather getting defeated was De La Hoya and Maidana. Maidana was especially super offensive. If Khan can do the same, then he has a slim chance of winning.
Khan's a good fighter and people think his style would cause Mayweather problems as well as his size. I'd guess Mayweather would win it (but probably won't fight him anyway) but it would be quite close.

The closest Mayweather has come to losing was probably his first fight with Castillo which a lot of people thought he lost.

JP77

Khan's a good fighter and people think his style would cause Mayweather problems as well as his size. I'd guess Mayweather would win it (but probably won't fight him anyway) but it would be quite close.

The closest Mayweather has come to losing was probably his first fight with Castillo which a lot of people thought he lost.
The same has been said countless times "this guy has a style that will cause Mayweather problems" and it's consistently been the same result. Khan would get completely dominated in a fight against Mayweather, the difference in quality between the two is massive.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
To all those who think Khan has a chance if the the fight does happen do not complain about it being boring after Khan lands like 7 punches during the bout.

Leg-End

Mayweather should fight Khan, be a chance to get his first proper KO win since Hatton (lets be honest, he sucker punched Ortiz).

Some would fancy Khan to do something because of his speed but Mayweather would just counter punch and jab him to feck, Khan is simply not at the level required and doesn't have the power or chin to beat Floyd under any circumstances except rapid decline or a major mistake.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who else is out there for Mayweather to fight now though? Besides Khan, he's gone through most of the notable names. Fight Canelo or Cotto again perhaps? Some rumours of GGG but Golovkin's much too big to drop down I think. From light-welterweight there's a few who could step up a division - Danny Garcia, Matthyse, Provodnikov, Keith thurman or Broner perhaps....none of these fights are appealing at all though.

Kazi

I just think Khan gives Floyd the most problems at 147. He at least has a good jab with those long levers to back Floyd up, when was the last time Floyd fought someone like that?

Oggmonster

The same has been said countless times "this guy has a style that will cause Mayweather problems" and it's consistently been the same result. Khan would get completely dominated in a fight against Mayweather, the difference in quality between the two is massive.
True, although I did say Mayweather would still win. It seems a risky fight for him to take considering it may be his last one. I can't see a fight happening myself, Khan needs to get over this Mayweather thing really.

Who else is out there for Mayweather to fight now though? Besides Khan, he's gone through most of the notable names. Fight Canelo or Cotto again perhaps? Some rumours of GGG but Golovkin's much too big to drop down I think. From light-welterweight there's a few who could step up a division - Danny Garcia, Matthyse, Provodnikov, Keith thurman or Broner perhaps....none of these fights are appealing at all though.
The fight being his last fight sells itself quite well (although I'm still skeptical it will be his last.) It may not have to be a huge name to sell decent numbers, the Mayweather name alone can help build someones reputation.

Zen

Most likely, given you can sell it as Floyds retirement match, but he's not retiring with his last fight away from home.