The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Revan

Assumptionman
I think Joshua should have kept his bulk and gone out all guns blazing in the first 4 rounds hoping to get a KO or at least seriously damaging Usyk. He was never going to outbox him which is what he tried to do it seems
Usyk is so fast though, and he has chin. If AJ would have gone massive and trying to KO him, he would have ended in his arse considering that he has no chin at all.

I do not think Joshua did much wrong tonight. Just that he was against a much better boxer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
AJ fully underestimated Usyk pedigree and credentials in this fight. Usyk is a brilliant boxer and technician, AJ didn't foresee that and that's obviously his loss.

Brilliant gameplay and execution by Usyk.
That's clearly not true. All through the build-up he's spoken about Usyk's skills and pedigree and the fight itself, there's nothing he can do about being out-boxed by a more experienced and skilled boxer.

Usyk's movement was a shock, and the fact he kept it up for the whole bout is a big deal - only Fury is out manoeuvring Usyk in the HW division.

Kazi

Also, love how Eddie Hearn jumped out of his seat to ring the bell himself 10 seconds before the end to save Joshua from getting KO’d. Top promoter

Leg-End

Warren is as bitter as they come. If you're not with him, you're shite.
True but he wasn’t wrong, Whyte just said the same thing, gun shy non-aggressive.

If AJ or his team think he has the ability to outbox at the top level they are deluded. Since the Ruiz fights he moved completely away from his strengths, he looks lost. Usyk would be even better in a re-match, Fury would make him look silly.

AJ needs to go away and re-think it big time, change in trainer and get back to the boxing that took him to titles. If he carries on like this he will just get hurt.

RedDevilRoshi

Tyson Fury and his camp must have been watching that and laughing their head off at how poor AJ was tonight. Outclassed, outboxed, outmanoeuvred.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Does Joshua come into the next fight an absolute beefcake and go for a different tactic?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Doesn’t change the fact that he was bullied by someone 40lbs lighter than him at natural weights, which is embarrassing for a world title fight, especially when he’s the “champ”
To be fair, he didn't look like a bloated HW.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've just won good money on Usyk points.

What I mean by top boxer btw, is historically. It's all hype, all build up, and in that fight he is still being taught a lesson at his age. AJ is up there in the current crop, but you watch that fight back in the morning with a clear mind and tell me he's got it.
He has dynamite in his hands. That means he can knock out any HW on the planet. He can box a bit too. But the former is enough to compete with the best.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fury is getting sparked in his next fight. Guys he's not as good as you think.
Wilder has a punchers chance — literally. That is all. Fury has far more pathways to victory and has already done it once convincingly. You must see something no one else in this world sees if you’re so confident Fury is getting starched.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Rarely watch boxing but why is AJ so hyped? Looks a shocking boxer, barely any combinations from him wtf?
Same here. I'm no aficionado but I do watch a few fights. Watched most of Joshua and I simply don't get it beyond him being British so people automatically hype him up. He's just boring. He seems like a great bloke, but I don't see anything about him as a fighter to warrant such applause. Very average

Raven

AJ played right into his hands by trying to out box him. Should have used his physicality more. Great win for Usyk though, unbelievable performance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He has dynamite in his hands. That means he can knock out any HW on the planet. He can box a bit too. But the former is enough to compete with the best.
He moves like a oil tanker though. If he’s not fighting cans — he looks like bum.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Wilder has a punchers chance — literally. That is all. Fury has far more pathways to victory and has already done it once convincingly. You must see something no one else in this world sees if you’re so confident Fury is getting starched.
I've watched his career closely. And he's overrated. When i say overrated, he might be the best HW in the world, but it's dam close. He's not much better than joshua/usyk/white. Oh and he has pillow fists. Wilder can't box for toffee but will probably land a bomb and ko him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Enjoyed that. Pretty shocked that they didn't just thieve it from him anyway. Maybe it's hard to do with a straight face when the golden goose is lying fecked in his corner for minutes after the fight.

Usyk is a fun watch, all twitchy movements and odd angles of attack.

LDUred

Does Joshua come into the next fight an absolute beefcake and go for a different tactic?
I think that's his only hope now. Bulk up, throw on another 15 pounds or muscle and try to get into a fire fight.

But Usyk at this point looks pretty invincible and AJ looked exasperated by the end.

It's all he can do though. He tries to box Usyk around and he got behind. Then he got frustrated at the end and Usyk ended up really hurting him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doesn’t change the fact that he was bullied by someone 40lbs lighter than him at natural weights, which is embarrassing for a world title fight, especially when he’s the “champ”
It's not embarrassing though, is it? If you go back through this thread, I've not been much impressed with Joshua as he's been stiff and robotic for a good deal of his career, but he's gone away and tried his best to modify his game and work on his flaws. His head movement is clearly much better than it used to be - people stating his head movement is poor aren't giving Usyk any credit for his pedigree and unorthodox striking as it's only a Fury who is not going to be there to be hit in the whole division.

He did what he could but lost to a better boxer, it's hardly a revelation.

The Hilton

But we already know Usyk is the better boxer; Joshua hanging with him is impressive in itself. Especially so with such high output.

Usyk has carried over into the HW's magnificently though, I must say. Didn't think he could do that.
Joshua was only hanging with him because Usyk doesn't have the power to topple him, and was also wary of Joshua's power. It was still the usual straight lines and and plodding, but this time his power couldn't bail him out against an opponent he could barely hit.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, but doesn't mean he's up there with the best. My point.

It's nice to think we have a great fighter ready to sweep the world, but boxing is in a lull and this fight shows it. Fury vs Wilder will further show that.

Joshua in that fight showed what we all thought but never wanted to really believe. That he's just not that great. Fury isn't either, but he's going to crush him if Wilder doesn't get a lucky shot.

lsd

The Oracle
He's tried to fight both, he fought wlad in about his 17th fight, so again you don't know what your talking about.

A 40 year old Wlad who hadn't fought in how many years?

Saying he wanted to fight people is not fighting them no matter how many yimes he trots it out.

Nor is finally making an offer to fight Wilder at a time the whole world knew he wouldn't be accepting it doing all he could.

He had the belt for years the fights should have been made. Tonight and the Ruiz defeat is what happens when you keep putting off what everyone wants just to milk more money out of the public

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It poses a question, what can AJ do in the rematch? He came in quite lean for this fight, going for the speed hoping to catch Usyk on the exit, it didn't pan out. If he goes back to being massive, Usyk will dance around him.
Try and be more aggresive rather than trying to outbox