The RedCafe Boxing Thread

lsd

The Oracle
Is Michael Nunn out of prison? Good for him. I remember the Nunn v Toney fight. He had serious talent bar the strongest chin perhaps

Deery

Dreary
Yesterday was a surreal experience. Went to Sugar Ray Leonard’s incredible home and witnessed Eder Jofre, Sugar Ray Leonard and Michael Nunn having an awesome time. Leonard was such a gentleman. To invite us into his home and welcome us the way he did was out of this world. He was so impressed by Eder and treated myself and his family with such class. A classy fighter and classy person all the way.

I will be writing a very big article on my experience this past week with Eder Jofre. Today I took him and his kids to the airport and bid them farewell. I am planning to bring them back here to LA next year where they were a big hit and felt the warmth of the people here. I also plan to take them to New York and Canastota. We accomplished a lot in this last week and topping it off with a visit to Leonard was perfect. We also FaceTimed with Harada for Japanese news and TV, spent absolute quality time with Carlos Zarate and family and Michael Nunn and his fiancée. To say the Nunns and Jofres got along well would be a massive understatement.

https://www.ringtv.com/628890-eder-...ized-61-years-after-he-first-became-champion/

Awesome.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yesterday was a surreal experience. Went to Sugar Ray Leonard’s incredible home and witnessed Eder Jofre, Sugar Ray Leonard and Michael Nunn having an awesome time. Leonard was such a gentleman. To invite us into his home and welcome us the way he did was out of this world. He was so impressed by Eder and treated myself and his family with such class. A classy fighter and classy person all the way.

I will be writing a very big article on my experience this past week with Eder Jofre. Today I took him and his kids to the airport and bid them farewell. I am planning to bring them back here to LA next year where they were a big hit and felt the warmth of the people here. I also plan to take them to New York and Canastota. We accomplished a lot in this last week and topping it off with a visit to Leonard was perfect. We also FaceTimed with Harada for Japanese news and TV, spent absolute quality time with Carlos Zarate and family and Michael Nunn and his fiancée. To say the Nunns and Jofres got along well would be a massive understatement.

https://www.ringtv.com/628890-eder-...ized-61-years-after-he-first-became-champion/

Damn! You're connected! Great of you to post up your experience.

Did you ask Sugar Ray any probing questions?

poleglass red

Is Michael Nunn out of prison? Good for him. I remember the Nunn v Toney fight. He had serious talent bar the strongest chin perhaps
don't recall him having a weak chin, got ko'd by Toney but he was a monster. Some fighters in that era, Nunn, Toney, Roy Jones, Mike McCallum

Inter Yer Nan

Damn! You're connected! Great of you to post up your experience.

Did you ask Sugar Ray any probing questions?
Not really, he was honestly asking me a lot about Jofre. He got Hearns on FaceTime, and he was just having a blast. We did talk about Wilfred Benitez and he said how incredible a fighter he was. It sounds strange but he really has an aura and a charisma about him that is unlike any. Top man.

Inter Yer Nan

don't recall him having a weak chin, got ko'd by Toney but he was a monster. Some fighters in that era, Nunn, Toney, Roy Jones, Mike McCallum
Yeah, he simply got caught with a bomb. It happens. I’ll be seeing Nunn again over the weekend most likely as we’ll be linking up with Jeff Fenech. Nunn is one of the nicest guys you could meet connected with boxing.

lsd

The Oracle

Yeah perhaps not,hard to find any real weaknesses in his game I guess.

I know he is was dropped a couple of times even before Toney but I guess when you had his skills you tend to take chances

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not really, he was honestly asking me a lot about Jofre. He got Hearns on FaceTime, and he was just having a blast. We did talk about Wilfred Benitez and he said how incredible a fighter he was. It sounds strange but he really has an aura and a charisma about him that is unlike any. Top man.
Sugar Ray was my Dad's favourite boxer; he used to sit me down and teach me all the technical things he was doing. Still have all the VHS's of the epic 80's fights that he recorded; it's awesome you got to meet him.

Are he and Hearns buds?

Did you ask him anything about Duran and Hagler? I should imagine it's difficult under such circumstances, especially so when you're imposing on him rather than it being an open discussion.

Inter Yer Nan

Sugar Ray was my Dad's favourite boxer; he used to sit me down and teach me all the technical things he was doing. Still have all the VHS's of the epic 80's fights that he recorded; it's awesome you got to meet him.

Are he and Hearns buds?

Did you ask him anything about Duran and Hagler? I should imagine it's difficult under such circumstances, especially so when you're imposing on him rather than it being an open discussion.
He & Hearns are good friends yes. They talk often. They were trash talking to each other but it was banter. I didn’t ask about Hagler & Hearns, no. He showed us around and all his boxing stuff. Nunn told Leonard how Carlos Monzon is one of his favorites ever and I said I believe Hagler would have beaten Monzon and Leonard gave like an acknowledgment like he respects and/likes that I said that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He & Hearns are good friends yes. They talk often. They were trash talking to each other but it was banter. I didn’t ask about Hagler & Hearns, no. He showed us around and all his boxing stuff. Nunn told Leonard how Carlos Monzon is one of his favorites ever and I said I believe Hagler would have beaten Monzon and Leonard gave like an acknowledgment like he respects and/likes that I said that.
Really great stuff - so have you got a direct line to him (for the future), or was this a one-off?

I’m sure since you started the Jofre journey your appetite for more and more interaction with these guys has been whetted?

With how well your book has been received, will you try and build on it, as it seems you’re really on the precipice of full-fledged name in your own right.

If you get famous, you gonna abandon the caf? :lol:

Inter Yer Nan

Really great stuff - so have you got a direct line to him (for the future), or was this a one-off?

I’m sure since you started the Jofre journey your appetite for more and more interaction with these guys has been whetted?

With how well your book has been received, will you try and build on it, as it seems you’re really on the precipice of full-fledged name in your own right.

If you get famous, you gonna abandon the caf? :lol:
Haha I’ll never abandon the caf!!

I have a connection through Leonard through a mutual friend who goes way back with him but I don’t foresee myself seeing him regularly. He’s a very busy man but I don’t think I’ve seen him for the last time as there’s other big plans coming up.

I have an idea which I’ve started working on for my next book but won’t go public yet. I am also working on an induction which will further help our (West Coast Boxing) Hall of Fame gain further and further international appeal. We were on TV in Brazil on Sunday on a huge sports show.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haha I’ll never abandon the caf!!

I have a connection through Leonard through a mutual friend who goes way back with him but I don’t foresee myself seeing him regularly. He’s a very busy man but I don’t think I’ve seen him for the last time as there’s other big plans coming up.

I have an idea which I’ve started working on for my next book but won’t go public yet. I am also working on an induction which will further help our (West Coast Boxing) Hall of Fame gain further and further international appeal. We were on TV in Brazil on Sunday on a huge sports show.

:cool: you must be doing something right!

Props to you; let's see how far you can take it all!

Deery

Dreary
Just watched Shakur Stevenson v Jamel Herring, very impressive from Stevenson dominated Herring with speed and boxing skills, a bit reminiscent of a young Floyd Mayweather albeit a southpaw.

Dare say a star is born.

poleglass red

Yeah, he simply got caught with a bomb. It happens. I’ll be seeing Nunn again over the weekend most likely as we’ll be linking up with Jeff Fenech. Nunn is one of the nicest guys you could meet connected with boxing.
Jeff Fenech, what a fighter, remember well that first fight v Nelson, who was and still is one of my favourite fighters ever.

lsd

The Oracle
Jeff Fenech, what a fighter, remember well that first fight v Nelson, who was and still is one of my favourite fighters ever.

Can't believe I forgot about Azumah Nelson. He fought Fenech a few times didn't he?

So many great boxers in those days and they actually fought each other so they prove themselves unlike today

Deery

Dreary

Joshua is just some weird guy. Probably doesn’t even know who he is himself
That is extremely odd, and not in the slightest bit scary. I’m sure Usyk will be looking at that and laughing, is he trying to make a play from the Tyson Fury playbook or something..

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Does anyone in this thread box themselves? I wouldn’t mind trying to get into it for fitness and a new hobby to try and meet some people, but I just wonder if anyone has any advice? Maybe this isn’t the thread for it!

Kazi

That is extremely odd, and not in the slightest bit scary. I’m sure Usyk will be looking at that and laughing, is he trying to make a play from the Tyson Fury playbook or something..
Seems more from the Wilder playbook

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Does anyone in this thread box themselves? I wouldn’t mind trying to get into it for fitness and a new hobby to try and meet some people, but I just wonder if anyone has any advice? Maybe this isn’t the thread for it!
I do MMA so fairly close. My advice? Just go for it, you’ll find out pretty quickly if it isn’t for you, and you might fall in love with it

TrustInJanuzaj

I do MMA so fairly close. My advice? Just go for it, you’ll find out pretty quickly if it isn’t for you, and you might fall in love with it
It’s quite intimidating waking into a boxing gym I reckon but I’ll see if there are any close to my house.

GeorgieBoy

It’s quite intimidating waking into a boxing gym I reckon but I’ll see if there are any close to my house.
I did some training at a local gym. Never fancied fighting from the outset mind. As long as you're sound, respectful and aren't cocky you'll be grand.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I trained at the local boxing club for a few years. They tend to be friendly places. I sparred a fair bit but never fought. I think most clubs do fitness sessions based around boxing. At my club sparring was optional. In the fitness sessions the only contact stuff you did involved body punching so you didn‘t have to get punched in the face if you didn’t want. I think it’s a lot of fun and a great way to get fit, especially when you get really fit and decent at it. I liked it all from the skipping to the bag work. Been thinking about going back recently.

Deery

Dreary
Good for fitness hitting the bags, doing the pads, sit ups and crunches, going for runs etc

TrustInJanuzaj

Good for fitness hitting the bags, doing the pads, sit ups and crunches, going for runs etc
Yeh that's what I reckon and to be honest my gym training has all gone rather stale. I think it would be a good place to meet some new people too potentially.

TrustInJanuzaj

I trained at the local boxing club for a few years. They tend to be friendly places. I sparred a fair bit but never fought. I think most clubs do fitness sessions based around boxing. At my club sparring was optional. In the fitness sessions the only contact stuff you did involved body punching so you didn‘t have to get punched in the face if you didn’t want. I think it’s a lot of fun and a great way to get fit, especially when you get really fit and decent at it. I liked it all from the skipping to the bag work. Been thinking about going back recently.
To be honest I'm not that interested in fighting just the training, fitness and meeting some different people. I guess if over time I got into it then I could introduce some sparring but would just see how it goes initially. Do you think it will matter that I've never boxed up till this point, still in my mid-twenties mind you?

Classical Mechanic

To be honest I'm not that interested in fighting just the training, fitness and meeting some different people. I guess if over time I got into it then I could introduce some sparring but would just see how it goes initially. Do you think it will matter that I've never boxed up till this point, still in my mid-twenties mind you?
It wouldn’t matter at all. The gyms need regular people going there to get fit for business. The actual boxers are generally separate to that part of it. Some might drop in for a session and there may be some people that can box a bit but plenty with no experience. This is my experience at least but most gyms will offer a ‘boxercise’ type session for the general public.

edit: you can just join most gyms too and use the equipment when they have open sessions but I found the coached sessions miles better because you get instruction and encouragement to push yourself.

Last edited:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Never gone myself but from second hand experience you're not going to box. At the beginning it's all strength and conditioning, once you become a familiar face then they might start giving some tuition in actual sparring if you're interested.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I think it's a candid interview given he's speaking with no filter. The 2nd fight won't be the same as the first, as he's basically admitting he knows he can't outbox Usyk.

I think the lack of heart criticisms have really gotten under his skin.

Classical Mechanic

I think it's a candid interview given he's speaking with no filter. The 2nd fight won't be the same as the first, as he's basically admitting he knows he can't outbox Usyk.

I think the lack of heart criticisms have really gotten under his skin.
Candid? It looks like he's practised that 'I'm a baddass gangster' speech along with an attempted menacing dead eyed stare in front of the mirror!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds very rough in his voice compared to normal. Probably taken the loss very heavily and been drinking/smoking a bit too much.

We will see how he bounces back anyway. He did well with the response on his last loss but Usyk is a whole different level.

He was having a lot of joy with going to the body towards the 2nd half of their last fight. He should really aim to be getting up close to Usyk and hammering him early that way.