The RedCafe Boxing Thread

pascell

Yeah I have usyk as the favorite too (to be fair i did so in the first fight as well as I rate him very favorably so doesn't say much).
Fury is a colorful character so even though i think he's just bulshiting and waiting for the unification fight he might actually stay true to his word so there is that.
Anyway we haven't had an undisputed champ for so long and the dynamics between the two are very exciting (both are fun genuine characters as well) so I feel boxing needs this match, hope it happens.
I feel that if Usyk wins the rematch, Fury will stick around. If AJ loses and it turns into a trilogy, then Fury will probably retire as he'll likely have a mandatory he'll have to fight.

Like you say, for boxing the Usyk vs Fury is the fight it needs.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I feel that if Usyk wins the rematch, Fury will stick around. If AJ loses and it turns into a trilogy, then Fury will probably retire as he'll likely have a mandatory he'll have to fight.

Like you say, for boxing the Usyk vs Fury is the fight it needs.
I don't think a mandatory will come in to it personally. Technically doesn't have to make one until April 2023, AJ-Usyk 2 is apparently happening in July. More than enough time to fit a trilogy fight in still if needed.

There's also the fact the WBC like all organisations will bend the rules how they see fit. You only have to look at how Fury walked in to a shot at Wilder (1st fight) ahead of Whyte for evidence of that.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So cool that Katie Taylor (and Serrano) have sold out Madison Square Garden this weekend.

Fun little anecdote on that front actually.

I'm from the same town as Katie Taylor and when I was young I trained down in her dad Pete's gym, nice little spot down by the harbour.

Anyway, the first few weeks I was only allowed to do cardio. No combat action. Bit annoying but fair enough I thought, suppose he's just testing my patience.

Eventually I was allowed to partake in sparring but to my dismay, he paired me off against a girl (not Katie). What's this codswollop? I thought. I was embarrassed that I had to go in there against some measly girl.

Anyway, she beat the shit out of me and I never went back.

Best of luck to Katie this weekend.

Inter Yer Nan

Caught up with Sugar Ray last weekend. He’d been kind enough to have me and Eder Jofre at his home just a few months back. Also, had Michael Spinks, Pipino Cuevas in town too. Great champions and great people! Also, one of my absolute idols and good friend Danny “Little Red” López and Michael Nunn, another top man.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Caught up with Sugar Ray last weekend. He’d been kind enough to have me and Eder Jofre at his home just a few months back. Also, had Michael Spinks, Pipino Cuevas in town too. Great champions and great people! Also, one of my absolute idols and good friend Danny “Little Red” López and Michael Nunn, another top man.
That's you? You lucky bastard, those are some great people, sigar ray was a inspiration of mine , great boxers to boot as well.

Shame how we lost Hagler so soon, there never will be a reunion ever again.

Inter Yer Nan

That's you? You lucky bastard, those are some great people, sigar ray was a inspiration of mine , great boxers to boot as well.

Shame how we lost Hagler so soon, there never will be a reunion ever again.
Yup that’s me. Yeah, Sugar Ray was something else. One of the greatest ever. A hell of a nice guy too. Yes, was gutted about Hagler, he’s one of my favorites ever. I had always wanted to meet him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yup that’s me. Yeah, Sugar Ray was something else. One of the greatest ever. A hell of a nice guy too. Yes, was gutted about Hagler, he’s one of my favorites ever. I had always wanted to meet him.
What era those 70s and 80s where , the 4 kings definitely deserved their monikers.

Shame about hagler , he never really got over that disgrace of a fight in wembely and what he considered a robbery against sugar ray.
Did make a nice little action movie star career for himself in Italy at least.

Deery

Dreary
Hoping Katie Taylor can do the business tonight, would be a great way to cement her legacy as the greatest ever female boxers. Don’t know much about Serrano apart from her being really dangerous hopefully Katie can outbox her…

Glorio

Hoping Katie Taylor can do the business tonight, would be a great way to cement her legacy as the greatest ever female boxers. Don’t know much about Serrano apart from her being really dangerous hopefully Katie can outbox her…
A very, very dangerous fight for Katie this, and if it's one of those close fights, like her first one with Persoon (sp?), she's probably not getting the benefit of the doubt this time.

Serrano is a SEVEN-weight champion, a southpaw, and heavy handed. Will be interesting. Whatever Katie does, she better not get dragged into a dogfight here, can't see that ending well for her.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I put 60 blips on Taylor.

Anyone staying up for this?

And also, is DAZN the only way of watching this?

Stupid time difference. It's in the middle of the damn night.

LDUred

It doesn't really make sense that Fury is happy to hang up his gloves and talks about staying mentally healthy, but then would happily consider stepping into an octagon against an absolute fecking animal who would potentially tear his head off (Ngannou).

Exhibition fights may sound like a laugh but fighting people like Ngannou, Belfort, etc is no joke. I would hope that Tyson's advisors steer him away from mma.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It doesn't really make sense that Fury is happy to hang up his gloves and talks about staying mentally healthy, but then would happily consider stepping into an octagon against an absolute fecking animal who would potentially tear his head off (Ngannou).

Exhibition fights may sound like a laugh but fighting people like Ngannou, Belfort, etc is no joke. I would hope that Tyson's advisors steer him away from mma.
I really like Fury but he talks a lot of shite. The bigger the name, the more focused he is. I can’t see him passing up an opportunity to get in the ring with either AJ or Usyk. Both would be great fights and what a way to cement a legacy and put it into the top drawer if he could get both of those names on his resume.

LDUred

I really like Fury but he talks a lot of shite. The bigger the name, the more focused he is. I can’t see him passing up an opportunity to get in the ring with either AJ or Usyk. Both would be great fights and what a way to cement a legacy and put it into the top drawer if he could get both of those names on his resume.
Yep. As good as Fury is, he can't really talk himself up as being the best if Whyte turns out to be his swansong and Usyk (or I guess Joshua) goes on to dominate the division.

Usyk seems unbeatable but Fury defensively looked back on his game against Whyte. He barely got hit - although Whyte was dreadful.

Best way for Fury to go in that fight is to come in light, keep the range and annoy the crap out of Usyk and score a marginal points win.

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Feck sake.

Right, onto eurovision. I've a good feeling about it this year lads

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I actually had a bad feeling about tonight was fairly sure it wouldn't go our way.....but yet i paid 8 euro for it.

RORY65

2 better rounds for Katie, she needs 2 more to end to give herself a chance of winning this.

RORY65

Incredible end to the fight, hopefully Katie has won it but this is going to be a very tight decision.