The RedCafe Boxing Thread

SteveCoppellFan

Not Usyk?

Fury, Usyk, Wilder would be the pick. Folks underestimate Usyk at their own peril.
Whyte is the level below that.

Joshua has struggled to agree fights with 2 of those, and while there's loads of nonsense flying around, Wilder and Fury are probably more at fault for that fight not happening than him. At one point they actively froze him out, despite him having more belts.

Now Joshua is over hyped, don't get me wrong - but he still has a better CV than Fury and Wilder.

Klitschko, Parker, Povetkin, Usyk, Whyte, even Pulev are serious names to have on your CV.

Ortiz was already past his prime by the time Joshua was an established fighter.

Wilder is the biggest joker of all - how many champions has he actually fought? He took on what he thought was a finished Fury and got pulled into a trilogy, apart from that, you're basically scraping the barrel
The bolded part just highlights my issue.

Remove Usyk and what are we left with really ?

Check when he fought these guys, Klitschko, Povetkin and Pulev were so far past their best days when they fought Joshua, they are just names by this point.

Parker and Whyte were unbeaten at the time but neither have gone on to do much tbh, good fighters but not great fighters.

So who else has he beat ?

lsd

The Oracle
So Spence v Crawford tomorrow night what do we think.

I am surprised by the lack of publicity outside US as in my mind this is the biggest match up in years if not decades.

I am also surprised it's actually happening and no one has pulled out injured or something as i just cannot recall the last time two truly great fighters both still unbeaten actually faced each other.

I'm going with Spence but just looking forward to seeing it and hope it lives to to expectations

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think Crawford stops him late. Spence needs to hurt Crawford to win imo since he's at a speed and skill disadvantage. He has the power but I don't think it'll be enough.

youngrell

I prefer Spence as a fighter, but I think Crawford may just edge this with tighter work. Spence has shown he can come on strong in tough fights though so very intriguing.

Hopefully it lives up to expectations. It is crazy how little fanfare there is though.

Abraxas

I'd go for Crawford by decision. I just think he's a great fighter. At least on ability, but probably not record (this fight is actually crucial for his legacy)

Spence has to use his pressure, size, presence in the ring against the older man. He's got good chances of course, I'd just go for the skill and feet of Crawford.

Nico87

Not seen them enough recently to have an informed opinion but based on what I have seen previously, I’d back Spence. He’s a game raiser who fights to the level of his opponent and manages to just always be out of range while getting his own shots off.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Great bout, two of the best pound for pound fighters around. Going for Crawford as he has the better skills and speed, but wouldn’t put any money on it.

RedDevilRoshi

I don’t really stay up late for boxing fights but making an exception for this one. Buzzing for it and hard to predict a clear winner :D

SambaBoy

The Mayweather v Paq fight of this era. Should be a cracker - however I can only see a Crawford win.

Abraxas

Crawford reminds me of the real old school fighters with the way he can fight in the pocket and evade his opponent and then dissect them. Mayweather was a damn poser compared to Crawford with all the back peddling. He can do all that stuff but he can stand in the pocket and find the power punches. Nothing you can bring seems to upset him at all.

Abraxas

I'd like to know the fellas diet and workouts as well. 36, looks 26.

Bit of the enthusiasm drained from Spence's work now. He's taken some clean shots. Still trying.

Abraxas

It's like watching a world class fighter against a British title level. It's that bad. Unreal. Spence is a top class welterweight but totally out of his depth.

Abraxas

Thank God the ref got in there. Maybe Spence's corner should have been taking a look a bit earlier.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Crawford reminds me of the real old school fighters with the way he can fight in the pocket and evade his opponent and then dissect them. Mayweather was a damn poser compared to Crawford with all the back peddling. He can do all that stuff but he can stand in the pocket and find the power punches. Nothing you can bring seems to upset him at all.
Crazy how he looks like completely different fighters, long and awkward on the outside, then granite all shoulders and short hooks on the inside. Amazing technician

Abraxas

The great thing about him is he's got the skills to take little risk. But he does not mind standing there, he has the reflexes, upper body movement, head movement to avoid shots and even if takes a hit he's got a chin to rely on. Tonight it was the same style that made James Toney in his prime hard to deal with. Not afraid to go into the firing line because he knows his defence, toughness and precision will pay off.

The big difference is he's got more power, more accuracy and way more discipline as an athlete than James ever had.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Surprised he's the first to ever unify two divisions.

Supports
Chelsea
One of the best performances I've seen. Worth staying up for! What's next for him though realistically, challenge wise?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There's no need for a rematch. This win was too dominant.

Spence is hopefully at the hospital by now, his corner should have thrown in the towel a while back.

I'd pay good money to see Crawford go against Pretty Boy Floyd of years back.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
One of the best performances I've seen. Worth staying up for! What's next for him though realistically, challenge wise?
That's the scary thing. Spence was supposed to be his toughest challenge and he made him look average. Never been in a close fight, undefeated and the best finisher in the game. Scary fighter.