The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Glorio

One of the best performances I've seen. Worth staying up for! What's next for him though realistically, challenge wise?
No one incidentally.
The day I truly realised he was a special talent was the fight vs Kell Brook. Yes, Kell had already been damaged at the time, but Bud toyed with him, whereas Brook versus Spence was a lot closer.

Glorio

That's the scary thing. Spence was supposed to be his toughest challenge and he made him look average. Never been in a close fight, undefeated and the best finisher in the game. Scary fighter.
Porter was close for a lot of the match to be fair, just because Porter has a ridiculous engine and is an incredibly durable, busy fighter. He kept eating the body shot from Crawford and never slowed down.
Until Bud's class started to show in the later rounds and he went into that deadly finishing mode after he had hurt him, where you just knew it was over.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There's no need for a rematch. This win was too dominant.

Spence is hopefully at the hospital by now, his corner should have thrown in the towel a while back.

I'd pay good money to see Crawford go against Pretty Boy Floyd of years back.
Agreed. I hope there’s no rematch, the level between the two is clear to see

Pirlo'sBeard

Terence Crawford is incredible.

He made a great fighter look out of his depth. Perfect performance.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I've been watching boxing for many years and I can confidently say Bud Crawford is one of the best I've ever seen. He completely dismantled Spence. Unbelievable.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I would like to see where Spence goes from this. Is he still at that level he was pre crash. As great as Terence was last night, feel like we're not seeing the best of Errol.

RedDevilRoshi

Glad I stayed up for this. Spence I thought started off well although very even to call which I expected between two very good boxers. However as soon as Crawford landed the first knockdown, the tide just completely swung and Crawford was unbelievable from then. As soon as the 2nd knockdown happened, I just had that feeling he was going to win this by KO/TKO. Never seen Spence look so far out his depth despite a good start but that's more down to how good Crawford was. Undoubteldy the best p4p figher.

Glorio

Glad I stayed up for this. Spence I thought started off well although very even to call which I expected between two very good boxers. However as soon as Crawford landed the first knockdown, the tide just completely swung and Crawford was unbelievable from then. As soon as the 2nd knockdown happened, I just had that feeling he was going to win this by KO/TKO. Never seen Spence look so far out his depth despite a good start but that's more down to how good Crawford was. Undoubteldy the best p4p figher.
I always wonder how it feels when an undefeated superstar fighter at the top of his game gets in a fight and very quickly realises the guy he's up against is stronger, quicker, and more skillful - just levels above. It probably dawns on them before it dawns on the watching world. Must be soul crushing.

After the first knockdown, Spence probably wasn't at that point, as he came out swinging the next round - I actually remember a massive hook he threw which Crawford blocked but from the sound, must have been a killer. Incidentally, Crawford blocked it and proceeded to destroy him even further that next round. I don't remember a knockdown in that next round, but it was a comprehensive beatdown. Erroll must have felt that hopelessness during and after that round.

I remember Joshua vs Ruiz as well. The shock of seeing their aura crumble must be something (Joshua can obviously beat Ruiz easily by boxing smart and hiding behind the jab, which he prove, but Ruiz was the obvious better brawler up close). The experience irreversibly changed Joshua's mindset as a fighter

youngrell

Fantastic performance from Crawford. Rocked Spence at will and never looked in any bother, it really was as complete a performance as he could have hoped.

Spence has been tested before and always found another level to get through, but he looked completely shell shocked at how easily he was being taken apart.

He should definitely avoid a rematch. Plenty of champions have lost and been able to make the necessary adjustments to reverse it, but it looked like Crawford could’ve gone another gear or two if required.

Pscholes18

No one incidentally.
The day I truly realised he was a special talent was the fight vs Kell Brook. Yes, Kell had already been damaged at the time, but Bud toyed with him, whereas Brook versus Spence was a lot closer.
Isn't he going to 154 to fight Carlo?

Smithy89

The counter punching and sheer dominance from Bud was out of this world, he absolutely put a whooping on Errol. No need for a rematch, Bud is p4p king. Errol is an absolute warrior though, he took his beating like a champ and it could have been stopped sooner.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Brilliant by Bud but he needs to move up to avoid Boots Ennis who will be the one to dethrone him in a couple of years if he stays at Welter,

Smithy89

Brilliant by Bud but he needs to move up to avoid Boots Ennis who will be the one to dethrone him in a couple of years if he stays at Welter,
If they fight in the next 6-12 months, Bud beats him and then retires or moves up.

SambaBoy

Yeah it's too soon for Boots. He needs to step up in class first and have some tough fights before even thinking of taking on Crawford. I think Crawford's best bet is probably the rematch or Charlo. I can't really see anyone out there that he could fight that would really boost his resume at the moment.

Give Boots 1-2 tough fights against quality opposition and it could be a good fight but whilst he looks an incredible prospect, his resume is severely lacking at moment. It's been a good few months for boxing, 3 absolutely stellar performances in Teofimo, Inoue and Crawford - all against high quality opposition. Shame the Berterbiev-Smith fighting is being pushed back.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
If they fight in the next 6-12 months, Bud beats him and then retires or moves up.
Ennis has called him out but I very much doubt it would happen that quickly but in 2 years Boots will have learned more smarts and Bud will have a couple more hard camps and fights to erode his skills.
As someone once said “Father Time is undefeated”.

Lay

feck sake. The division should have been talked about for years but now its just a joke.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
It needs binning and replacing with something better like what the UFC have. Something that makes the big fights happen more frequently.
Agreed, it’s such a joke. I find it ridiculous that Joshua-Fury or Joshua-Wilder hasn’t happened. I think UFC will take over Boxing soon.

SuperiorXI

Agreed, it’s such a joke. I find it ridiculous that Joshua-Fury or Joshua-Wilder hasn’t happened. I think UFC will take over Boxing soon.
It's already overtaken in terms of entertainment for sure. So many great fights in the last few years. A lot of them living up to their hype too. Also oftentimes the undercard is great fun, boxing undercards these days (especially Queensbury) are shocking.

Lay

It needs binning and replacing with something better like what the UFC have. Something that makes the big fights happen more frequently.
I like the UFC but I struggle to keep up to date with it. It just doesn't enthral me as much as boxing does. I lost interest after Khabib retired and only tuned into the Leon Edwards v Usman fights.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
After 2 storming recent performances (Inoue/Crawford) it's back down to earth with a bump with this and Beterbiev having to delay his fight with Smith.
Hope we can move on from the era of cheats and ducks at HW soon and get back to where everyone fought all comers and the public happily gave up good money for top action but maybe I'm just being unrealistic.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I like the UFC but I struggle to keep up to date with it. It just doesn't enthral me as much as boxing does. I lost interest after Khabib retired and only tuned into the Leon Edwards v Usman fights.
I think there’s so many exciting fighters at every weight category. For me it’s the best combat sport out there.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Saudia Arabia have skewed the market and they don't want the fights till Dec/Jan with Fury/Usyk and Joshua/Wilder being offered £100m site fee even before PPV comes into the equation. Places like Wembley Stadium and even Vegas cannot compete as Saudi are not doing it to make profit and have untold wealth to throw at it.

Guessing the boxers don't want any risky fights in the meantime and put the Saudi cash in peril.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think there’s so many exciting fighters at every weight category. For me it’s the best combat sport out there.
By a country mile and has been for ages. Boxings in the gutter, you get fights like Spence Crawford that actually live up to the billing once every few years. Ufc you get them once every few months

Abraxas

Yep.

Boxing at its absolute best with competitive matchups between quality fighters with a bit of backstory is the king of sports.

But it's not good enough to see that once every few years with a piss poor night of entertainment to precede it. Same old story. Fights we don't really want to see, fights getting cancelled, juicing. Christ lads, if you're gonna get on the juice at least hide it/cover it up like other sports do.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Robert Helenius stepping in to fight Joshua apparently. Should be an easy victory for AJ.

Last edited:

G-manc

I don’t mind Helenius at such short notice as long as it’s not still PPV. He was never gonna fight Hrgovic and it’s better than the likes of Chisora.

At least he’ll be fit having fought at the weekend.

lsd

The Oracle
I don’t mind Helenius at such short notice as long as it’s not still PPV. He was never gonna fight Hrgovic and it’s better than the likes of Chisora.

At least he’ll be fit having fought at the weekend.

Yes have the fight off course but don't be charging the same as price or doing it on pay per view.

On the topic did anyone see the David Haye interview where he was saying he was told over a week before by Chisora that White had failed the test and the fight was off?

G-manc

Yes have the fight off course but don't be charging the same as price or doing it on pay per view.

On the topic did anyone see the David Haye interview where he was saying he was told over a week before by Chisora that White had failed the test and the fight was off?
It’s been pulled from ppv and they’ve offered refunds if people don’t fancy it.

can’t say fairer than that really.

G-manc

I can’t imagine Eddie Hearn would risk keeping this quiet after the Benn fiasco and the criticism surrounding that.

Also, Chisora is nuts and not reliable IMO.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
It’s been pulled from ppv and they’ve offered refunds if people don’t fancy it.

can’t say fairer than that really.
Yeah that's fair.

Still, shite opponent and it'll leave him woefully under prepared heading into a Wilder fight.