The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Gavinb33

Ngannou should go pro, why the hell not, he did very well.

The fight against Usyk was NEVER happening in December, I'm more worried about it not happening at all. Don't think Tyson took it very seriously tonight, but either way he'll continue trying to duck an opponent he knows for sure will trouble him.

I just can't believe how much I've turned on Fury and just hope I get to see him knocked out before his career ends :lol:
I wouldn't be surprised if Fury ducks Usyk and calls for a Francis rematch because of the controversial nature of the fight and dismantles him making a ton of money

RepardReece

Personally don't see the robbery, when Ngannou won the rounds he did, he won by a comfortable margin which is probably why people are arguing he shouldve won, but Tyson did enough to win the rounds he did, and especially towards the latter of the fight (outside round 8). Over the course of the 12 rounds, he did get more punches in too.

Easily could've ended up going Ngannou's way, as the rounds were all close, but some people here seem to only recall the takedown/round 8 when Ngannou was all over Tyson. He doesn't get extra points for that.

Not a great contest, and wouldn't have argued the result either way.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What I've been saying for ages.
Bit disingenuous. Fury dominated Wlad and won by UD. Nobody was saying Wlad was washed up till, of course, Tyson beat him. He still gave AJ a bit of a fight 2 years later in his last ever fight and even knocked him down. Wilder was the one everyone wanted AJ to fight, but he never did. Of course, once Fury demolishes him everyone suddenly downplays him too, even though he probably still is one of the most dangerous fighters in the division.

Baneofthegame

Fury is apparently a disgrace and embarrassment :lol:

A guy that was 33-0, world champion, undefeated and got in there with a legit fighter no matter what experience he has in boxing, is a disgrace and embarrassment because he struggled and had an off night and looked like he had lost the fight? It’s silly season again I see.

Fair enough to think he lost that fight but it doesn’t make him a disgrace or any of these things or suddenly a bum that’s a shit boxer ffs, stop being silly. I’m sure he feels like a huge embarrassment being 34-0 in boxing, a world champion just having been paid millions upon millions that will change his families lives forever and fighting at the top level in front of millions of people while some people at home at 1 in the morning are typing he’s an embarrassment and disgrace on social media and online.

Say he lost the fight. Say it was a robbery. Say he would lose to Usyk. But let’s not turn this into the embarrassing match day threads ffs.
Alright Tyson, you still got paid and won the fight, calm down.

cyberman

Personally don't see the robbery, when Ngannou won the rounds he did, he won by a comfortable margin which is probably why people are arguing he shouldve won, but Tyson did enough to win the rounds he did, and especially towards the latter of the fight (outside round 8). Over the course of the 12 rounds, he did get more punches in too.

Easily could've ended up going Ngannou's way, as the rounds were all close, but some people here seem to only recall the takedown/round 8 when Ngannou was all over Tyson. He doesn't get extra points for that.

I don’t think Fury did near enough, he didn’t even outwork Ngannou to any degree.
People saying Fury or it wasn’t a robbery are giving every close round to Tyson and that’s not how it works. That’s just looking for reasons to judge if it was a robbery or not so it’s naturally a bias in Tyson’s favour.

Baneofthegame

What I've been saying for ages.
Except it’s not true at all.

He was expected to lose to Wlad, who he beat on his home turf, comfortably, if you have a problem about the rematch, fine.

Wilder took the first fight thinking Fury wouldn’t be back to his best, he went to America, beat him and got jobbed on the scorecards with a dodgy knockdown counted even though he was a shot behind the head.

Baneofthegame

I don’t think Fury did near enough, he didn’t even outwork Ngannou to any degree.
People saying Fury or it wasn’t a robbery are giving every close round to Tyson and that’s not how it works. That’s just looking for reasons to judge if it was a robbery or not so it’s naturally a bias in Tyson’s favour.
I mean, Fury outlanded Ngannou every round except 3,4 and 8, round 3 was the knockdown which is a 10-8, round 8 Ngannou landed one more punch in probably what was his best round outside of 3.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The whole event left a nasty taste in the mouth. It's truly quite sad seeing what boxing has done to itself.

RepardReece

As per the post above, Fury outpunched in most rounds, he did enough to win the rounds, and that's why he was winning the close rounds at the end of the day. I think it was round 8 as well where a big chunk of Ngannou's 59 punches landed, a round in which he won (obviously), but he didn't do much outside of those dominate rounds. From what I saw in the close rounds Tyson had the edge, he was very conservative and it wasn't by all means a great performance or anything, but he did enough for the 10-9 in those rounds, and apparently, 2/3 of the judges agree with that.

Again, not saying by any means that Fury absolutely should've won, like with my post, I said I wouldn't have argued the score either way, but it's a 10 round fight, not a 2 round where just 3 and 8 matter.

Last edited:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Forget Fury, Usyk, Anderson, Sanche or whoever, Moses Itauma is the next big thing in the heavy weight boxing World. Best heavy weight I’ve seen since a teenage Mike Tyson.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The whole event left a nasty taste in the mouth. It's truly quite sad seeing what boxing has done to itself.
This. It’s become more like YouTube boxing. The result, spectacle & money is everything. Sports got precious little to do with it now

Gavinb33

Bit disingenuous. Fury dominated Wlad and won by UD. Nobody was saying Wlad was washed up till, of course, Tyson beat him. He still gave AJ a bit of a fight 2 years later in his last ever fight and even knocked him down. Wilder was the one everyone wanted AJ to fight, but he never did. Of course, once Fury demolishes him everyone suddenly downplays him too, even though he probably still is one of the most dangerous fighters in the division.
Disingenuous or not it's a fact outside of Wlad and Wilder his record is unbelievably bad

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This. It’s become more like YouTube boxing. The result, spectacle & money is everything. Sports got precious little to do with it now
The location didn’t help. Or those two dweeby looking (but obviously astronomically wealthy) sheikhs being allowed into the ring to fawn over the fighters the second the bell went.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The commentators were being way too giddy about Ngannou all night. Like a lot of people on here. He was decent but not amazing. Seemed completely gassed for most of the middle rounds and ate that jab all night long. The result was fair. Fury was well below par but just about shaded it. Which is how every boxing expert I’ve read saw it. Yet apparently redcafe (and MMA fans) know best. Go figure.

It was a crap fight, being spun into some sort of epic, by casual fans who were way too invested in the Ngannou fairytale. As per the Gary Lineker tweet posted above.
That would well and good if only redcafe were scoring the fight. Numerous boxers as well as respected boxing insiders (such as Bunce)gave the fight to N'Gannou, and if that illegal elbow from Fury had been accounted for, it would be another docked point.

If N'Gannou ate the jab all night, his face certainly doesn't attest to that, either as only one fighter was bloodied, bruised and cut at the end of the bout.

fergosaurus

Just watched the fight and Ngannou was very hard done by. I don't see how you can give Fury more than five rounds. Ngannou was very impressive the way he boxed patiently and the way he was able to switch from orthodox to southpaw seamlessly caused Fury problems. There needs to be a rematch next year if Fury beats Usyk convincingly. Be interesting to see how much Fury overlooked him, that was the heaviest Fury has ever been and you would expect his preparation would be much better in a rematch.

UpWithRivers

I think people are getting confused by the Youtubers. MMA fighters are elite in nearly all disciplines. Plus they have fighting backgrounds. They know the tactics and psychology of fighting even if its not a discipline they excel in. Go see how Mighty Mouse took on Rodtang in his discipline. He didnt look out of place at all with one of the greatest Thai boxers ever. Plus Nganou is a fkn beast. Mentally. Physically and has that world class power. I think people especially Fury will not underestimate a cross over fight again. Those MMA dudes are not Youtubers

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That would well and good if only redcafe were scoring the fight. Numerous boxers as well as respected boxing insiders (such as Bunce)gave the fight to N'Gannou, and if that illegal elbow from Fury had been accounted for, it would be another docked point.

If N'Gannou ate the jab all night, his face certainly doesn't attest to that, either as only one fighter was bloodied, bruised and cut at the end of the bout.
Yeah, looking for bruises on N’Gannou’s face would not be a good way to score that fight (or any fight)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I thought Fury seemed almost upset in the post fight interviews etc. Think he realised he messed up, maybe didn't take it seriously enough or he's realised things are catching up to him. He just kept repeating the same things as though he didn't want to talk.

I was quite shocked by some of the things Fury got wrong or just didn't do. His footwork seemed sluggish, his timing was all off and Ngannou was hardly a difficult target. There was a lot wrong and the question now will be whether time has caught up or if it was an issue with his prep. He claims to have took it seriously, though I have seen him look ring rusty before after big periods out of the ring. This was by far the worst I've seen him. Probably worse than vs Cunningham.
I think he just underestimated the task at hand, as nearly all of us did, and once it registered he was in a serious fight, he couldn't get going because he hadn't conditioned N'Gannou to his actual fighting style, which is why he looked rushed and uncomfortable trying to then establish his dominance. It's also got to be accounted for that it was a 10rd bout, which Fury knew he didn't have his usual amount of time to work in.

The thing with bombing someone out is they have to susceptible whilst you're not; Francis was firing bombs off in retaliation up close and Fury decided pretty early it was a bad idea to get into a gunfight.

There's also the clinch; never in my life did I think N'Gannou would be able to fend a clinching Fury off and not get tired super early, but there he was, out-muscling Fury and even looking extremely dangerous in dirty boxing range on top of that, which cut another go to avenue off for Fury. I think from there he was really flustered and uncomfortable in the ring and a number of factors were exacerbating his angst, not least Francis being a legitimate threat straight through until the final bell.

I have doubts Fury will want to do it again, but a rematch would tell us what the real deal is.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This sport is so fixed man, day light robbery that was not even close. What’s the point watching it.
There isn't any point, but they bank on the fact that the selling of fights is almost always better than the product itself, and fear of missing out becomes too much for people to resist.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fury is apparently a disgrace and embarrassment :lol:

A guy that was 33-0, world champion, undefeated and got in there with a legit fighter no matter what experience he has in boxing, is a disgrace and embarrassment because he struggled and had an off night and looked like he had lost the fight? It’s silly season again I see.

Fair enough to think he lost that fight but it doesn’t make him a disgrace or any of these things or suddenly a bum that’s a shit boxer ffs, stop being silly. I’m sure he feels like a huge embarrassment being 34-0 in boxing, a world champion just having been paid millions upon millions that will change his families lives forever and fighting at the top level in front of millions of people while some people at home at 1 in the morning are typing he’s an embarrassment and disgrace on social media and online.

Say he lost the fight. Say it was a robbery. Say he would lose to Usyk. But let’s not turn this into the embarrassing match day threads ffs.
I guess you haven't followed what the Fury family have said about non pros taking on professional boxers in the lead up to Tommy fighting the YouTuber? Tyson himself using words similar to what you're denigrating?

The world champ who is supposed to be king of the HW division is supposed to make an exhibition out of someone who has no professional boxing bouts to his name. How can that be denied or shaped any differently?

I like and rate Fury, but trying to defend him for last night is absurd. He looked crestfallen for a reason at the end of the bout. It's hugely embarrassing for him and definitely not how things were supposed to go.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Can we have Itauma vs Usyk instead? Within 2 years Itauma will be the only name on everybody’s lips, a generational talent if ever there was one.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

There were 10 rounds. Fury was not going for it in the last portion of the contest and lost rd 8. He also landed an illegal elbow that should have seen him docked a point, which is being glossed over and shouldn't be.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Those stats would make more sense if they were broken down into rounds. Rightly or wrongly boxing is scored by rounds, not overall

JP77

I guess you haven't followed what the Fury family have said about non pros taking on professional boxers in the lead up to Tommy fighting the YouTuber? Tyson himself using words similar to what you're denigrating?

The world champ who is supposed to be king of the HW division is supposed to make an exhibition out of someone who has no professional boxing bouts to his name. How can that be denied or shaped any differently?

I like and rate Fury, but trying to defend him for last night is absurd. He looked crestfallen for a reason at the end of the bout. It's hugely embarrassing for him and definitely not how things were supposed to go.
He’s not a disgrace though is he mate?

I followed all of that but you have to take what Fury says with a pinch of salt as his mood changes all the time. In the build up he had moments of saying he would destroy him and knock him out and in others was saying the exact opposite. I honestly believe it’s a mixture of being a showman and him being bi polar. Not excusing the performance, just think it’s a step too far calling him an embarrassment and a disgrace and making out he’s now an average fighter.

Fury has schooled fighters like Klitschko and Wilder and then looked absolutely average against people like Wallin and Pianeta, it happens. There’s just way too many overreactions at times. He was a bit shit last night and looked well off it, it’s probably hurt him mentally that performance but he’s not suddenly a shit fighter that would get turned over by Joshua and Usyk or a disgrace imo.

pascell

I think that fight will have a lasting effect on Fury. He's said all along, as soon as he's not happy boxing, he'll pack it all in and call it a day, I think that day is fast approaching after last night.

cyberman

Those stats would make more sense if they were broken down into rounds. Rightly or wrongly boxing is scored by rounds, not overall
But Ngannou didn’t throw 250 punches odd in 2/3 rounds? He sat back the entire fight so I’d guess they were pretty even throughout the 10.
There’s rounds that I’m seeing fans give Tyson where he spent half the round leaping into Ngannou to flat out hug him and kept being thrown off. To give Fury that fight you have to be looking to give him that fight but it is what it is

cyberman

I mean, Fury outlanded Ngannou every round except 3,4 and 8, round 3 was the knockdown which is a 10-8, round 8 Ngannou landed one more punch in probably what was his best round outside of 3.
But out landing by a thin margins doesn’t mean anything, the judges dont have access to these stats. It’s averages out to one extra shot per round. My point was the volume wasn’t there to claim Tyson out worked him when he clearly didn’t. Both looked equally busy throughout the fight, it’s really the output that judges are drawn to (rightly or wrongly)
It just seems to me that there were rounds that little happened that fans give to Tyson and it needs Ngannou putting it on Fury get him a round and that’s a compete misrepresentation of how little happened in this fight. If there wasn’t a knockdown a lot more onlookers would be giving Ngannou one or Two more rounds that they’re currently giving Tyson

Plastic Evra

PFL must be very happy with this, Ngannou should drag even more eyes when he'll be ready to do his contracted matches for them. Just need to find a couple of good names to put him with.

And Dana have to feel a little embarrassed too :devil:

I don't think he'll go pro because of his other commitments but Francis certainly gave himself credit to get another big exhibition match within 1-3 years.

Withnail

But Ngannou didn’t throw 250 punches odd in 2/3 rounds? He sat back the entire fight so I’d guess they were pretty even throughout the 10.
There’s rounds that I’m seeing fans give Tyson where he spent half the round leaping into Ngannou to flat out hug him and kept being thrown off. To give Fury that fight you have to be looking to give him that fight but it is what it is
I don't know if Nagannou's punches were all that even throughout.

Many are saying that Fury landed more punches in 6/7 of the rounds.

There are some round by round stats here although I don't know how reliable compubox are.

https://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-vs-francis-ngannou-compubox-punch-stats--178829