The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Oggmonster

That's pathetic anyone paying for these "fights" really need their head examined. This is the worst era of heavyweight boxing ever all because nobody wants to take on a real fight
Agreed

As @Inter Yer Nan rightly points out he is better than Miller but the heavyweight division is so dull. Seems like a lifetime ago we were getting excited about it again cos of Wilder and Fury. I've given up hope if any of the top 3 ever fighting each other really

Dan_F

That's pathetic anyone paying for these "fights" really need their head examined. This is the worst era of heavyweight boxing ever all because nobody wants to take on a real fight
What did you want them to do at this point? It’s a month away. The only other option they had was to cancel it.

lsd

The Oracle
What did you want them to do at this point? It’s a month away. The only other option they had was to cancel it.

Either they fight each other or they dont fight at all and stop ripping people off

Inter Yer Nan

Agreed

As @Inter Yer Nan rightly points out he is better than Miller but the heavyweight division is so dull. Seems like a lifetime ago we were getting excited about it again cos of Wilder and Fury. I've given up hope if any of the top 3 ever fighting each other really
That's why I tell people the best division in recent years has been flyweight and super flyweight. No politics, no avoiding each other, just top skilled guys fighting each other and doing so often and delivering.

lsd

The Oracle
Did you expect Wilder or Fury to fight him on a months notice?

They were never going to fight and they won't until they have ripped off every fan as much as they can

The Miller AJ fight was as pathetic as this one same as Fury's upcoming fight as well .

Wilder at least shows some desire to fight for real but with AJ running away from everyone and now Fury with his new TV deal he's in the same boat as them.

Dan_F

They were never going to fight and they won't until they have ripped off every fan as much as they can

The Miller AJ fight was as pathetic as this one same as Fury's upcoming fight as well .

Wilder at least shows some desire to fight for real but with AJ running away from everyone and now Fury with his new TV deal he's in the same boat as them.
Joshua didn’t really have a choice at the time no? Wilder and Fury were supposed to rematch, so the Miller fight was made. Other than just believing his word over Joshua/Hearn’s, I’m not sure why you’d think Wilder has shown any more willing to make that fight.

MalcolmTucker

What a load of bollocks. This is the best the heavyweight division has been since the 90s.

There's been loads of entertaining fights the last couple of years; AJ vs. Klitschko, Wilder vs. Fury, Wilder vs. Ortiz, Whyte vs. Chisora, Whyte vs. AJ, Whyte vs. Parker, Takam vs. Chisora, Haye vs Bellew, Povetkin vs. Price.

It's annoying that Fury/Wilder/AJ haven't all fought each other yet but they will eventually

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Tell that to Whyte.

lsd

The Oracle
Doesn't change that Wilder if avoiding him like the plague.
Because he is garbage . He should be avoided by any decent fighter .

This is telling problem no one wants to see fights like that We want to see the best fighters fighting the best opponents and that is never going to happen now

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because he is garbage . He should be avoided by any decent fighter .

This is telling problem no one wants to see fights like that We want to see the best fighters fighting the best opponents and that is never going to happen now
He's been #1 for, what? 2 years? And he's been denied the opportunity to face him. That's why we have rankings. Instead Wilder will be fighting an inferior boxer for half the money. Go figure. Wilders complete lack of boxing ability means someone like Whyte is a genuine threat. The risk outweighs the reward and so he is avoiding him.

Inter Yer Nan

I question Wilder's desire. He turned down $100m and a guaranteed Joshua shot. He's just a puppet for the PBC who are keeping things exclusively in-house. They are going to block Crawford-Spence from ever happening too.

lsd

The Oracle
I question Wilder's desire. He turned down $100m and a guaranteed Joshua shot. He's just a puppet for the PBC who are keeping things exclusively in-house. They are going to block Crawford-Spence from ever happening too.

Crawford - Spence would be an amazing fight

Thisistheone

Wilder and his team seem to be the ones ducking. Shelly Finkel has said that they have a busy year so won't see any AJ fight until 2020 at the earliest. What kind of rubbish is that?

Imagine if Hearn had come out and said we can't fight Wilder for another year or so because we have a busy schedule?

Roopea

Wilder and his team seem to be the ones ducking. Shelly Finkel has said that they have a busy year so won't see any AJ fight until 2020 at the earliest. What kind of rubbish is that?

Imagine if Hearn had come out and said we can't fight Wilder for another year or so because we have a busy schedule?
Spot on. Wilder keeps claiming he's free to fight anywhere but I bet he will never move from ShowTime/Fox.

lsd

The Oracle

OK not even going to argue with anyone who believes AJ hasn't been ducking a real fight since he won the title .

Roopea

OK not even going to argue with anyone who believes AJ hasn't been ducking a real fight since he won the title .
So your just going to ignore the fact that AJ's team have been trying to fight Wilder ever since he unified with Parker?

Didn't Wilder publicly accept AJ's offer back last year, only to lose his pen when the contract was sent?

And the fact that Shelly Finkel has publicly stated that he is refusing to negotiate with Eddie about a potential fight because he wanted to focus on feather-fisted Fury?

Oggmonster

So your just going to ignore the fact that AJ's team have been trying to fight Wilder ever since he unified with Parker?

Didn't Wilder publicly accept AJ's offer back last year, only to lose his pen when the contract was sent?

And the fact that Shelly Finkel has publicly stated that he is refusing to negotiate with Eddie about a potential fight because he wanted to focus on feather-fisted Fury?
In fairness that depends who you believe, you can't say 1 is 100% telling the truth and the other is lying, I guess the answer is osmewhere in the middle.

I've lost all interest in it ever happening as I said, cos it probably won't happen to be honest any time soon but neither team has helped themselves.

Roopea

In fairness that depends who you believe, you can't say 1 is 100% telling the truth and the other is lying, I guess the answer is osmewhere in the middle.

I've lost all interest in it ever happening as I said, cos it probably won't happen to be honest any time soon but neither team has helped themselves.
I agree that both parties were to blame for the initial negotiations last year, but one side is simply refusing to negotiate and try and get the fight made this year. Especially after the Wilder vs Fury fight, all AJ's team have been trying to do is try and get the Wilder fight made (even delaying the Whyte negotiations causing that fight not to happen in April) and Finkel has publicly admitted that they are not responding to him. These are not rumours, they are facts as acknowledged by Finkel himself.

I've definitely lost hope that this fight will not happen till at least late 2020, knowing that Wilder has already lined up Ortiz and Kownacki as confirmed by Ortiz and Kownacki's team. Hate boxing sometimes.

Oggmonster

I agree that both parties were to blame for the initial negotiations last year, but one side is simply refusing to negotiate and try and get the fight made this year. Especially after the Wilder vs Fury fight, all AJ's team have been trying to do is try and get the Wilder fight made (even delaying the Whyte negotiations causing that fight not to happen in April) and Finkel has publicly admitted that they are not responding to him. These are not rumours, they are facts as acknowledged by Finkel himself.

I've definitely lost hope that this fight will not happen till at least late 2020, knowing that Wilder has already lined up Ortiz and Kownacki as confirmed by Ortiz and Kownacki's team. Hate boxing sometimes.
I'd take everything Hearn and Shelly Finkel say with a grain of salt. The reality is both talk bollocks, Hearn does it with more personality and charm but he is notorious for talking absolute shite to make himself and his fighters look better. I don't mind the guy but I personally wouldn't believe he's desperate for this fight to happen. Why would he be? He's making huge money with AJ fighting much worse fighters, until he stops selling out Wembley/getting massive PPV points then AJ will continue fighting shite.

Roopea

I'd take everything Hearn and Shelly Finkel say with a grain of salt. The reality is both talk bollocks, Hearn does it with more personality and charm but he is notorious for talking absolute shite to make himself and his fighters look better. I don't mind the guy but I personally wouldn't believe he's desperate for this fight to happen. Why would he be? He's making huge money with AJ fighting much worse fighters, until he stops selling out Wembley/getting massive PPV points then AJ will continue fighting shite.
Agreed that Hearn and Finkel do speak a lot of bollocks at times (all promoters/managers do), but he's made REAL offers to Wilder and his team.

Any promoter would like their fighter to take the longer route and take easier fights for easy money, but you can't ignore the facts that Wilder was offered $120m (3 fight deal) through a mediator in John Skipper to try and get the fight done.

If Eddie truly didn't want this fight, would he have asked John Skipper to step in and try and get the fight made this year? Where was ShowTime's or PBC's counter offer to that deal?

Thisistheone

Agreed that Hearn and Finkel do speak a lot of bollocks at times (all promoters/managers do), but he's made REAL offers to Wilder and his team.

Any promoter would like their fighter to take the longer route and take easier fights for easy money, but you can't ignore the facts that Wilder was offered $120m (3 fight deal) through a mediator in John Skipper to try and get the fight done.

If Eddie truly didn't want this fight, would he have asked John Skipper to step in and try and get the fight made this year? Where was ShowTime's or PBC's counter offer to that deal?
Exactly. This is what makes me think it's team Wilder thats the problem more than anyone. John Skipper was sent in there to make it happen, but Team Wilder rejected it, not AJ.

Throw that in with Finkel's comments and for some reason they don't seem to want the fight. I find it strange because Joshua is the younger guy who will continue to improve. At this rate Wilder will be 35 by the time they fight.

Oggmonster

Fair enough, at the end of the day people will pick who to believe and that's their right. Hearn is known to talk absolute bollocks on plenty of occasions though. I think the fighters would do it but both promoters aren't that keen as they know the fight is still going to be there in a few years and still get interest. See Mayweather vs. Pacquaio as an example.

I hope both lose their next fights personally, put an end to it all.

Revan

Assumptionman
His last 5 fights were Molina, Klitschko, Takam, Parker and Povetkin. Only Molina in that group is shit (nevertheless Wilder needed 9 rounds to stop him, compared to Joshua needing only 3), with Klitschko being an all-time great (and I don't buy that he was way past it, he was in top shape though of course not on his absolute peak), Parker a world champion, Povetkin an ex-world champion who was still a top boxer, and Takam a decent fighter.

lsd

The Oracle
People need to stop making excuses for AJ and trying to blame everyone else .

Whatever way you want to spin it Ruiz is yet another garbage opponent and non fight .

Anyone paying money for this needs their head examined . The same for the other two

The only way we will ever see them fighting each other is if we stop supporting these nonsense non fights and accepting the excuses of parasites like hearn

Oggmonster

His last 5 fights were Molina, Klitschko, Takam, Parker and Povetkin. Only Molina in that group is shit (nevertheless Wilder needed 9 rounds to stop him, compared to Joshua needing only 3), with Klitschko being an all-time great (and I don't buy that he was way past it, he was in top shape though of course not on his absolute peak), Parker a world champion, Povetkin an ex-world champion who was still a top boxer, and Takam a decent fighter.
He's probably unfortunate that he's in a weak division.

Takam was a late replacement and is basically a punching bag for top level fighters, Molina is awful, Povetkin is good but way past his best and a drug cheat so his best he was cheating anyway, Wlad was a massive win, Parker is ok. Of course they're not shit that's an exageration but personally I've no interest in watching any of the big 3 fight unless they fight each other (or Whyte at a push.) Hearn and co were trying to sell Big Baby Miller as some huge threat to the HW division for the last 12 - 18 months!

RedFish

They're all protecting their assets, which is fair enough to a degree, but its being abused. It's so frustrating.

Inter Yer Nan

Wilder and his team never wanted the Joshua fight. I suspect at first Hearn was fine with that so they could collect all the other belts first and build to it but there's no doubt it's Wilder's side that have held it up lately.

Think about it : -

It's PBC/Al Haymon. They are the most in-house promotional outfit perhaps of the last 20-30 years (maybe more). Look at what puppets like Leonard Ellerbe say when interviewed about people wanting to see Crawford-Spence. He laughed and said "What people? Nobody wants to see it" and that it won't happen. Same for Lomachenko-Davis. They are totally unwilling to work with others and would never be the B side or even 50/50.

Wilder never tried for any unification previously and his team openly said in 2015 after he'd won his WBC title that they won't fight Klitshcko whereas at least Joshua has had unification fights. They fought Fury because A) They considered him washed up and too soon into his comeback and B) He's got no power and they had the power so would always get the benefits on the cards.

They used Joshua's name to build buzz. It's a tactic often used in boxing. Like what Teofimio Lopez is doing now with Lomachenko. They created the buzz based on "Wilder is a victim he's being ducked" completely playing dumb fans who climbed on his bandwagon as a result of that all the while turning down $100m. Didn't he say he'd go to England for free to fight Joshua? I know they never mean it but he acted like he'd fight him anywhere and didn't care about pay. The story changes when there's an actual contract. They even tried that "$50m take it or leave it" offer and Hearn simply asked to have a look at the contract, where it would be etc; and they said "No. Just sign it and we'll fight" which is obviously never going to happen and totally unprofessional. It was a tactic.

Kazi

Quite simple in my eyes...

Both teams are happy with this fight not happening. Wilder’s team probably the happier as he’s more likely to lose.

Revan

Assumptionman
Quite simple in my eyes...

Both teams are happy with this fight not happening. Wilder’s team probably the happier as he’s more likely to lose.
He'll also earn more money for that fight than what he has earned on his entire career.