The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Withnail

Because it's once again diverting boxing and the heavyweight division. Ngannou probably should have won the fight against Fury so what will happen this time if it's that close? It's just making it a bit of a farce as usual which is why people get so fecking annoyed at the division.
I'm not sure sure it will be close.

He did well against Fury who took the fight lightly and didn't prepared well enough. I'd expect AJ to take it very seriously after seeing that what happened vs Fury and I'd be interested to see if he gets easily beaten or if someone can just rock up from MMA, albeit with some boxing experience, and trouble the top guys.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Then you’ve got Frank Warren defending the non-atmosphere in the middle-east; we’re not deaf, just saying ‘you weren’t there’ isn’t a defence.
Future fights looks set to be held at the new Kingdom Arena, which houses around 25k. All they need to do now is fly in some pissed/coked-up Brits and they'll have the total package.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I must be consistent and say that it is sickening how the saudi's are getting more and more involved into various sports. Shameful of already rich folks taking the money.

G-manc

Future fights looks set to be held at the new Kingdom Arena, which houses around 25k. All they need to do now is fly in some pissed/coked-up Brits and they'll have the total package.
I think the casual boxing fan has changed now, and that’s how they can get away with making literally any fight knowing it will sell to the social media generation. They’re not bothered whether the average fan can afford or have access as long as CR7 & Conor McGregor are ringside.

I spent 2 decades going to fights at nearly all uk arenas and have done a few overseas trips too but much like football, the sport has gone now

youngrell

:lol: It might just be my memory, but he didn't let Fury take the centre of the ring for large periods of the fight. He'd fire back in each exchange and then tried to back Fury up to the ropes. He was quite aggressive and I think that's what could put Joshua into trouble. As he showed vs Fury, he won't by physically dominated either.
Ahh yeah, he definitely held centre ring, but he just seemed to wait and wait and wait until Fury made a move. Smart really, and he was sharp enough to cause Fury all sorts of problems when he did engage.

Agree it could be a fascinating match up with Joshua if he can remain awkward and dangerous with counters.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Who would you have liked Joshua to fight next? Hrgovic was the only other option at this stage. It's not like the guy has been fighting bums. It was meant to be Wilder, now.

If Fury beats Usyk, and Joshua wins then it's all lining up for the biggest british fight ever this summer. It's boxing, though, so it probably won't happen.
This.

Hrgovic fight doesn't make sense without the IBF on the line.
Parker rematch there isn't much interest considering AJ dominated him first time round.
Zhang would be good but again no belt and isn't a bigger fight than Ngannou.

It's the logical next step. People were rightly a bit pissed about Fury-Ngannou because it A) came at a time when Fury CLEARLY had a better option which was to fight Usyk for undisputed and B) Ngannou had zero boxing experience at the time and it was viewed as a complete mismatch.

Now that he's fought Fury and proved he can compete with the best in the world on his day, it makes it both a much more reasonable fight and Ngannou is by some distance the biggest draw he could face. There's no clear option out there that this is getting in the way of for AJ, so why not?

JP77

I imagine it plays out with AJ comfortably beating Ngannou and then Hearn and the media playing it up like it’s the greatest victory ever because Fury struggled against him. Despite lackluster performances and opponents AJ is more than likely getting the winner of Fury/Usyk. Hopefully Fury comes through Usyk and 2024 is finally the year we get to see AJ/Fury, which I imagine is the one fight that will motivate both more than any other fight. The money is there to make it happen now, just a shame that if it happens it won’t be in the UK at Wembley like the fans actually want.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I imagine it plays out with AJ comfortably beating Ngannou and then Hearn and the media playing it up like it’s the greatest victory ever because Fury struggled against him. Despite lackluster performances and opponents AJ is more than likely getting the winner of Fury/Usyk. Hopefully Fury comes through Usyk and 2024 is finally the year we get to see AJ/Fury, which I imagine is the one fight that will motivate both more than any other fight. The money is there to make it happen now, just a shame that if it happens it won’t be in the UK at Wembley like the fans actually want.
I mean, is this an issue? He's still clearly the #3 HW in the world until somebody stakes a real claim otherwise.

Franklin was a lacklustre performance granted, Helenius a poor opponent but not their fault Dilian Whyte popped again for PEDs on fight week.

But Wallin was a very solid opponent and a very good performance. If he beats Ngannou well, that should be considered another decent win considering his showing against Fury.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

That's up-and-coming British light-heavyweight Dan Azeez. I love the idea of a whole group of good fighters conspiring on how to get through a sparring session with Beterbiev :lol:. Looking forward to seeing him in action at the weekend, although at his age I do have the nagging sense that he'll have went downhill rapidly before he gets the chance to fight the likes of Bivol and Canelo. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Redstain

This is an interesting fight, I didn't really rate Callum at super middle but he does look a superior athlete at 175. Teddy Atlas made a good point that the equaliser for anyone fighting Beterbiev at this point in his career is his age, will there be someone to expose the father time reality. Yarde put up a decent fight but was ultimately overrun down the stretch.

I think a disciplined performance could see Smith have success but if he becomes fatigued, leaning against the ropes or doesn't maintain range it will be the same conclusion with him getting mauled with short sharp punches on the inside. His conditioning is most important factor.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Anyone seeing this Mbilli vs Murdock fight, god damn...

LDUred

Beterbiev's power is quite something. He's barely out of third gear and yet walking through Callum Smith, who is massive at the weight.

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

There is no greater task than beating Beterbiev/Inoue in boxing right now in my opinion.

He has underrated boxing ability, monstrous power and a granite chin, it will be interesting to see if Bivols amazing boxing skills can overcome the pressure and power of Beterbiev, it’s one of the best fights in boxing to be made.

G-manc

It must be soul destroying facing Beterbiev. Smith did ok for the first couple of rounds but looked a bit stiff and fell short with his shots. Beterbiev is a wrecking ball though and more skilful than he looks at first glance.

The Bivol fight has to happen.

Kazi

There is no greater task than beating Beterbiev/Inoue in boxing right now in my opinion.

He has underrated boxing ability, monstrous power and a granite chin, it will be interesting to see if Bivols amazing boxing skills can overcome the pressure and power of Beterbiev, it’s one of the best fights in boxing to be made.
I think beating Crawford is a more impossible task, but yeah Beterbiev/Inoue definitely a more daunting/dangerous task.

G-manc

Mayer got absolutely stiffed on the cards there.

The bias in the Sky commentary was disgraceful.

Alanxyz

I feel very sorry for Mayer, I thought she was very hard done by with her previous split decision loss against Baumgartner, and even more hard done by with last nights result.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I thought that Mayer won 7 rounds out of 10. The person I watched the fight with thought that she won 8 rounds of 10.

Another joke of a decision.

Plastic Evra

Kenshiro «The Amazing Boy» Teraji vs Carlos «CCC» Canizales was a great action fight. It will be forgotten by December but a potential "fight of the year" candidate for how frenetic it was. Teraji already had an hell of a bout in November 2022 against Hiroto Kyoguchi (with an insane round, 5 IIRC)... Entertaining fighter but suspect defense though.

G-manc

I thought that Mayer won 7 rounds out of 10. The person I watched the fight with thought that she won 8 rounds of 10.

Another joke of a decision.
I just listened to Joe Gallagher on the radio talking about a challenger having to ‘rip the title away as a challenger’; I’ve never understood this narrative, you either win a round or you don’t.

Mayer was the aggressor throughout. Jonas won max 4 rounds.

massey

I just listened to Joe Gallagher on the radio talking about a challenger having to ‘rip the title away as a challenger’; I’ve never understood this narrative, you either win a round or you don’t.

Mayer was the aggressor throughout. Jonas won max 4 rounds.
Yep seems like a trend that's set into boxing forums and fans nowadays this narrative that the away fighter has to either knock out the opponent or win every round to take the title away instead of scoring it as a fair contest,this also means the home fighter just has to turn up and throw a few punches then.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just got an email from DAZN about buying Fury Vs Usyk and getting the Benn fight free. I wonder how many suckers signed up before the news dropped.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Normal to be sparring, without head guards apparently, 2 weeks out from a fight?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shock horror. I think most predicted this to happen.

G-manc

If he’s genuinely been cut and can show some evidence the fair enough; there has been rumours his camp has been poor though and he has struggled in sparring, however, other journos have been saying the opposite - he’s in shape and handling people.

Hugely disappointing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Looks in good nick in the first photo, and that is a bad cut.

Irrational.

Absolutely shocking, Fury is a joke. After being embarrassed by N’Gannou he was probably struggling to lose his manboobs with two weeks to go until the fight. Pathetic, no one should take this chump seriously after this. He’d rather make stupid Netflix documentaries. Will never be a GOAT contender like he claims to be.