The Redcafe Champions League Draft

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
What's the other website people use to create thier formations? Not footballuser, the one with the smaller icons..

Thisistheone

Francesco Toldo (Italy 28 caps)
If Toldo had not been around during the time of Gianluigi Buffon, he may well have reached 100 caps for Italy, such was his ability. A world class keeper with a superb all-round game. At 6’5’’ he was solid under high balls and would expertly communicate with his back four. A team-mate of Rui Costa’s at Fiorentina. Serie A Goalkeeper of the year in 2000 & won Serie A 5 times.

Marcel Desailly (France 116 caps, 3 goals)
One of the best players of the last 20 years. A colossus at the back or in midfield. Desailly’s game had it all - Pace, Power, intelligence and desire. He won basically everything there was to win in the game. A Champions League title with two different clubs. Only 3 other players have achieved this, one of which is his team-mate here; Paulo Sousa. Desailly’s physical presence & pace was ideally suited next to the great anticipation & technical skills of Laurent Blanc. Named in Premier League team of the decade.

Laurent Blanc (France 97 caps 16 goals)
Amazingly, Blanc scored 134 goals in his club career. One of the most dangerous players around from set plays. At 6’4’’ he was dominant in the air but also extremely comfortable on the ball, possessing the technique of a playmaker. He specialized in making those around him calm and collected. Blanc could read the game brilliantly, was intelligent & had a masterful grasp of tactics which proved crucial as games unfolded.

Dani Alves (Brazil 68 caps, 5 goals)
The best right back in the world for the last 5 or 6 years, Dani Alves offers the team an extra man in attack with his incredible engine, getting up and down the right flank all day long. He will provide width for the team and an over-lap if Di Maria wishes to cut inside. Incredibly quick, he’s also brilliant on the ball, as we seen in the Champions League with some of his through balls and various other assists. Cristiano Ronaldo said of him: "I usually don't have a problem with defenders when it comes to outracing them, but when playing a match against Barcelona it happens to be complicated with Daniel Alves"

Roberto Carlos (Brazil 125 Caps 11 goals)
One of the most powerful and explosive full backs of recent times. Roberto Carlos bossed the Real Madrid left flank for 11 years. Famous for his powerful shots from long range as well as a superb engine. He will be ideally suited for this game against a side that lacks natural width with a Brazilian on the opposite flank with similar attacking intentions, there’s a superb balance to this team.

Paulo Sousa (Portugal 51 caps 6 goals)
An integral part of the “Golden Generation” that came out of Portugal in the early 1990’s, Sousa spent his best days in Serie A at a time when it was the strongest league in the world. Sousa's greatest skill was doing the unselfish things required to win a game. For every goal or clever pass, there were a dozen other little things that went unnoticed but were vital. One of Europe’s best midfielders during the mid to late 90’s. Successful at the highest level in the Champions League, Winning it twice; with Dortmund and Juventus. He was an excellent reader of the game, able to play the role of defensive midfielder while possessing superb technical ability. Similar to Michael Carrick in that he was a deep lying, ball playing midfielder. A team-player, the type to make those around him stand out even more. A vital component in any successful side. His connection with country-man Rui Costa & Luis Figo will be a big plus for the side. With Essien next to him, he will have the perfect complimentary team-mate.

Michael Essien (Ghana 52 caps 9 goals)
The ultimate box-to-box midfielder & the sides engine room. Essien’s energy, power and abrasive ability will allow him the freedom to protect and support playmaker Rui Costa while Paulo Sousa assists the defence and directs the distribution. Essien is like having an extra man in the middle - One minute putting fires out in defence and the next supporting the likes of Rui Costa & Ronaldo in attack. Before his injury nightmare he was probably the most complete midfielder in the world. As Utd fans, our first taster came in the Champions League against Lyon when he gave Roy Keane and the rest of our side hell for 90 minutes. The way Utd missed Fletcher in the 2009 CL final would be similar if this side lost Essien.

Manuel Rui Costa (Portugal 94 caps 26 goals) II Maestro
The team’s play-maker. One of my favourite players growing up, Rui Costa put the fantasy into football. Incredible vision and execution of the pass, he was simply a brilliant footballer. But to use him properly, the platform for him to best operate needs to be present, which he certainly gets from Paulo Sousa & Essien. Even The incredible work-rate of Rooney favours him. He’ll be able to unlock the tightest of defences as he proved through-out his career, mainly with Fiorentina, and link up beautifully with Ronaldo, Figo & Di Maria. From the back four, with Sousa, Essien & Rui Costa, the balance in the team and the link from defence through the midfield and forwards is finely tuned.
Luis Figo (Portugal 127 caps 32 Goals)
The 2000 European player of the year and 2001 FIFA World player of the year is a huge coup for the side. He brings elite quality to the team and again is ideally suited to this match, getting space in the wide areas to work his magic. Gifted with either foot, Figo was a nightmare for any defender & a brilliant player to help Ronaldo.
Ronaldo (Brazil 104 caps 67 goals)
Possibly the most complete striker not just in this Champions League era, but of all time. The original Ronaldo was the most electrifying, energetic phenomenon we’ll see in our lifetimes. The complete centre forward. When writing this description, I had to sit back and think, what really made him so good? He was the perfect mixture of power and grace, and had an extra second of time over anyone else. In his pomp as close to unstoppable as you could wish to see. He could score with either foot, burst past the quickest of defenders , dribble past the most intelligent or brush off the most aggressive of opponents. And of course, he was the ultimate big game player (ignoring the bizarre circumstances of France ’98) he scored in the 2002 World Cup Semi-Final & Final & in both UEFA cup finals for Barca and Inter.
All this despite being ravaged by injury during his prime... What could have been?

Ángel di Mária (Argentina 39 caps 8 goals)
Capable of moments of magic, direct running, dribbling inside or out wide, Di Maria brings a lot of different options & variety to the team. He is a modern day forward/winger who is versatile, able to switch flanks or play through the middle. Not a prolific scorer but most likely to create chances for his team-mates with nearly 80 assists in 6 seasons since moving to Europe. Excellent technique, agility, flair and pace. Can provide width for the side.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Semi final draw

Tito, Gio, Fergus and EDogen all go through to the semi's

The draw will be made now, so before you make your pick from your quarter final opponents.

For this pick the Non CL winner requirement has dropped down to three

When making your pick please post a picture of the player and (if you can be arsed) give a short reason why you went with them!

Fixture list will be up shortly but as Gio is on holiday we'll need to see when the best time for him is and work around that.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:
  1. Team Gio
  2. Team Fergus
  3. Team TITO
  4. Team EDogen
Timestamp: 2013-07-18 13:05:57 UTC

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Semi Final 1

Gio vs Fergus

Semi Final 2

TITO vs EDogen

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
How does Tito go through?
Because of that rule feck up :lol:

It looks well dodgy and it was my fault, so it's only fair. EDogen relied on it which was completely justified, so changing it would screw him over.

kps88

Are you crazy man? You dropping out doesn't have anything to do with Edogen getting screwed over. How would it change anything except give Tito a walkover into the semis?

EDogen

Well I will give away my pick right now!

Roy Keane

I did pick him because he is Roy Keane :devil:

EDogen

Are you crazy man? You dropping out doesn't have anything to do with Edogen getting screwed over. How would it change anything except give Tito a walkover into the semis?
Yeah, this seems hard and like you say has nothing to do with me.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't get it either. Being held by the House of bolton has really fecked him up in the head. Well, they chopped his bollocks too, which may have something to do with that.

Theon, you are ridiculous. You should play that game. You had a cracking side and no one wants it out except through a proper contest.

NM

I don't get it either. Being held by the House of bolton has really fecked him up in the head. Well, they chopped his bollocks too, which may have something to do with that.

Theon, you are ridiculous. You should play that game. You had a cracking side and no one wants it out except through a proper contest.

??

Also, Theon, feck off!! You beat me, you better keep playing!

Fergus' son

I got a bye in the newbs once and I was pretty put out, wanted to play my games!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The reason I dropped out was just because I didn't want people to think it would purposely done, so just gave TITO a pass to the semi finals

:lol: It does seem really dramatic though

antohan

??

Also, Theon, feck off!! You beat me, you better keep playing!
Good call. I would be livid.

It's insane that his players will exit the competition without kicking a ball.

BTW, I think you have to grow back your balls Theon and play on, but worst case you should go back to the ridiculous offer you made for me to take on your side and pass it on to NM (I'd give him the chance to swap any of your latest picks for any unpicked ones: Sheva for Kaká!!!!!!).

That would be more fair than a free pass to a completely unrelated player. Unless the entire point was to act as kingmaker and "hold a draw" to match EDogen to Ronaldo. Theon Gravejoy is no kingmaker!

:( :annoyed: RIP THE CL-RULE FIASCO XI :annoyed: :(

antohan

The reason I dropped out was just because I didn't want people to think it would purposely done, so just gave TITO a pass to the semi finals

:lol: It does seem really dramatic though
Exactly, drama queen! no way this should proceed. As said, worst case hand your team back to NM, same outcome but better draft game. "What if" takes the shine off anyone's eventual victory.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:lol:

Nah Sheva > Kaka in that formation

Yeah NM can take over the team, that is a good plan

You up for that NM?

kps88

Lets all just act like the last hour didn't happen and let Theon continue managing his team.

antohan

:lol:

Nah Sheva > Kaka in that formation

Yeah NM can take over the team, that is a good plan

You up for that NM?
But eventually having Iniesta-Kaká behind Ronaldo would be the better option going forward. It wouldn't be just the fullbacks as a source of width.

Fergus' son

Lets all just act like the last hour didn't happen and let Theon continue managing his team.
This.

It was only me and Gio they might've been slightly affected by the rule anyway and now it doesn't matter as we are facing each other!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:lol: Okay please ignore the last hour of gayness - no dropping out drama

My lads are well up for facing TITO now, eager to prove their crazy manager that he was wrong to try and pull them out the contest.

EDogen

My lads are well up for facing TITO now, eager to prove their crazy manager that he was wrong to try and pull them out the contest.
Pleased to read that :) Every game should be played!

Fergus' son

When can we start? I'm excited to see this!

Thisistheone

Missed all this but have to say, I'm glad Theon is playing. You don't need to drop out at all mate and have put a ton of effort into this draft.

Game on!