The Redcafe Champions League Draft

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I pick Ronaldo :) - arguably the best striker of all time and along with Messi the best player I've ever seen

47 goals in 49 apperances at Barca in 1996/97

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Gio/Fergus stick your picks in here

When are you back from holiday Gio and free to do the game mate?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Ayee that's fine man, you want to do it Wednesday or Thursday then?

Me and EDogen can go first either Monday or Tuesday depending on what day is good for him

EDogen

Me and EDogen can go first either Monday or Tuesday depending on what day is good for him

Both works for me. Will try to do my write up tomorrow.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Thursday probably best if I'm to contribute at all if that suits Ferguson. I'd probably opt for 24 hours over 48 on the basis that 80-90% of the voting is done within the first 24.

I'll take Romario.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Thursday probably best if I'm to contribute at all if that suits Ferguson. I'd probably opt for 24 hours over 48 on the basis that 80-90% of the voting is done within the first 24.

I'll take Romario.
Cool with me.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
EDogen's been stuck at work so the semi final is delayed until tomorrow

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Depends on Gio and when is good for him, I'm flexible but tomorrow or Tuesday is good with me

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I would have gone Ronaldo personally!

When do you want to play, is Tuesday fine?

EDogen

You know how much I rate Nesta so he's got a good home :)
It feels good yes, Nesta btw is my all time favourite player during my years of following football. Strange having my favourite player being outside of United, but can not help it :)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It takes some balls to bench Romario but I agree that teams looks outrageously good, it is perfectly balanced as well which a Ronaldo team with Romario/Ronnie/Rivaldo wouldn't have been

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No way, cannot be dropping Romario.

By the way, seen Gary Neville last week saying Romario was the best player he ever played against. That's some accolade given who all he's faced.
If he wasn't going to drop Romario I reckon Ronaldo is a better fit, I think it would get too crowded with Messi dribbling into Romario's positions all the time especially with Rivaldo pretty much partnering/playing just behind Romario

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Fergus, Nedved would probably be better, particularly on that right side with Fabregas. But toothy Ronnie is a big draw for voters. It also provides scope for Theon to have a brainfart trying to make up for it (playing Maldini there instead of Candela and breaking up an impenetrable CB pair).

Cutch, Romario and Messi in the same team don't do it for me. I agree with Theon it would be our Ronnie then. It's hard to swallow Romario being benched but if you look at the combinations involving Romario none look as good as that trio.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
If he wasn't going to drop Romario I reckon Ronaldo is a better fit, I think it would get too crowded with Messi dribbling into Romario's positions all the time especially with Rivaldo pretty much partnering/playing just behind Romario
Romario isn't gonna stay rooted in the one spot but, he's as good as anyone at finding space in the box. Hell of a job to keep both of those 2 quiet

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Fergus, Nedved would probably be better, particularly on that right side with Fabregas. But toothy Ronnie is a big draw for voters. It also provides scope for Theon to have a brainfart trying to make up for it (playing Maldini there instead of Candela and breaking up an impenetrable CB pair).

Cutch, Romario and Messi in the same team don't do it for me. I agree with Theon it would be our Ronnie then. It's hard to swallow Romario being benched but if you look at the combinations involving Romario none look as good as that trio.
I wouldn't be averse to swapping Nedved for Fabregas in the version you posted..

Moby

Dick
I don't think the position on the diagram would matter much for those three. All of them will interchange with ease and it would be a great fluid front 3. Not like Dinho is gonna hug the right hand side touchline or Messi is gonna stay in the 6 yard box.

antohan

I don't think the position on the diagram would matter much for those three. All of them will interchange with ease and it would be a great fluid front 3. Not like Dinho is gonna hug the right hand side touchline or Messi is gonna stay in the 6 yard box.
Exactly, which is where those three would be awesome while Rivaldo or Dinho with Messi/Romario isn't as varied. I'd stick to one of them two, and it has to be Messi. This from someone who has probably been banging on about Romario far too much for the oppo managers' liking.

antohan

Reflection time. I know Theon doesn't mind as he openly admits he is an irrepressible muppet when it comes to "improvement picks" and many of you probably got the occasional PMs with his latest brainwave.

While doing the second picking round he sent me about 100 random formations he could shoot for. The pick of them was this:

Or this one?
Just imagine Ronaldo up there and a dream ticket of Nesta for Thiago :drool:

The most flawless diamond ever, just to go with your previous best ever drafted 4-4-2 ;)
Settled, right?

Then goes and picks Xavi who hadn't featured in any of his initial options. When I ask him if he lost his marbles it is pretty clear he hadn't expected him to last and feared Fergus' side if he got him.

He got Scholes anyway! Should have thought that through with all options in mind...

Stop fecking about, kaka is a credible option as far as width is concerned. If You worry about firepower then take sheva, but i would have taken him and kaka then, never xavi.

You really aré poor at keeping your nerve, aren't you?
And then he reveals his own dream ticket (now worrying about Gio):

The only way I can beat Gio.....

Win against TITO add Ronaldo, draw Fergus in the semis and beat him, add Messi

Can't say you weren't warned Theon...
Brainfart alert. I do have the impression transitioning into a Barca midfield based on having Xavi-Iniesta will get people asking questions on the rest of your setup and the appropriateness of various players. Ronaldo himself doesn't strike me as someone for possession football.

I would not by any means move away from Milan until your semifinal game and pick are clear. Maybe do a little test in the second half of your next game to see what comes up. You should win that comfortably anyway.

The worst you can do though is end up neither Milan nor Barca.

The odd thing is if you wanted to possibly switch to Barca style Kaka was a better option than Sheva for that.
The point isn't "I was right" but that people need to focus on their sides, trust their players and build on their strengths rather than keep doubting and tinkering worrying about others.

The two sides in this final were arguably the ones that drafted best in the first round, but one kept a solid core and built on it and the other has been all over the shop since.

Gio was the deserved winner here.