g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I bought Hades yesterday, so far it’s the most horribly addictive game I’ve played in a long time :lol:
Should be up there in the conversation for one of the best games ever. It's fantastic. Gameplay, story, art, music, sound, voice acting, replayability. All stellar.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Does anybody have any particular things that they're particular about with games and don't particularly enjoy them if they aren't included (or not)?

I've realised that the only games I enjoy are ones with some kind of puzzle element – whether decision-making like strategy/RPGs, inventory management, or straight-up sudoku-esque brain teasers. I tend to get bored otherwise.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does anybody have any particular things that they're particular about with games and don't particularly enjoy them if they aren't included?

I realised myself that the only games I seem to enjoy are ones with some kind of puzzle element – whether that's decision-making like strategy/RPGs, inventory management, or straight-up sudoku-esque brain teasers.

I struggle to get into games that are all about raw running about and chopping things into pieces. They seem like they're made for people who aren't intelligent. Nothing against people who are dumb, of course.

I of course am dumb in many other ways.
Turn based combat. Eww.

Games that aren’t built for a single player experience or are grindy loot time sinks with no real purpose.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Does anybody have any particular things that they're particular about with games and don't particularly enjoy them if they aren't included?

I realised myself that the only games I seem to enjoy are ones with some kind of puzzle element – whether that's decision-making like strategy/RPGs, inventory management, or straight-up sudoku-esque brain teasers.

I struggle to get into games that are all about raw running about and chopping things into pieces. They seem like they're made for people who aren't intelligent. Nothing against people who are dumb, of course.

Anything soulslike I find dogshit.

Anything which is all about "ooo look how difficult I am" is shit.

"Bosses" are shite too, mega health, regen health, extra shields, 2nd forms. feck off.

Battles in stealth games, where there is a cutscene just before where the baddies see you so you can't feckin stealth them. Stupid.

Ainu

For some reason I've never played a Devil May Cry game before, despite always liking the look of it. Not sure why, I guess I just missed the first game back in the day and then never picked up any of the others because I didn't experience the beginning.

So I'm trying to rectify this oversight and I've just started with the first game in the HD collection. It's pretty rough, I have to say. I'm 2 missions into the game and it hasn't quite clicked. It feels like it hasn't aged that well, but since this was a really early PS2 game, perhaps a glorified PS1 game, that's not exactly unexpected.

I'm going to stick with it for a while and find out if it can convince me.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Hades is just so good. Dead Cells is also a great rogue lite if you enjoy Hades.

"Bosses" are shite too, mega health, regen health, extra shields, 2nd forms. feck off.

Battles in stealth games, where there is a cutscene just before where the baddies see you so you can't feckin stealth them. Stupid.
You’re a terrible human being.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Agree but I think I get in theory why people like them. The idea of mastery and failing over and over so that you can eventually succeed and feel great, etc. Some people really dig that.

For some reason I've never played a Devil May Cry game before, despite always liking the look of it. Not sure why, I guess I just missed the first game back in the day and then never picked up any of the others because I didn't experience the beginning.

So I'm trying to rectify this oversight and I've just started with the first game in the HD collection. It's pretty rough, I have to say. I'm 2 missions into the game and it hasn't quite clicked. It feels like it hasn't aged that well, but since this was a really early PS2 game, perhaps a glorified PS1 game, that's not exactly unexpected.

Devil May Cry is exactly the type of game I had in mind when I posted about needing something more than raw gameplay. It has incredible presentation but it's so combat-orientated that I get bored with it. Bayonetta too.

Unpopular opinion but I liked the reboot better than the main series. It was a mediocre game but the story was somewhat interesting (if a little heavy-handed in terms of metaphor).

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

If there's just shitloads going on the screen at one time I immediately switch off. Stuff like DMC or Returnal where it's just pew pew pew lasers and bombs and enemies and shit everywhere you look. Can't be arsed with that.

It almost stopped me trying Hades but for some reason that one felt ok.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

I used to love that series and played the first 4. The second game was my least favourite. I used to play them on the most difficult setting and I do not recommend that for DMC 3, which nearly made me destroy my controller as there's a level near the end that's so fecking long and at the end of it, you have to face every fecking boss one after another on one life bar. I completed it but don't think I would be able to repeat that feat.

Ainu

Devil May Cry is exactly the type of game I had in mind when I posted about needing something more than raw gameplay. It has incredible presentation but it's so combat-orientated that I get bored with it. Bayonetta too.

Unpopular opinion but I liked the reboot better than the main series. It was a mediocre game but the story was somewhat interesting (if a little heavy-handed in terms of metaphor).
Thing is, it isn't exactly my kind of game either, I struggle to think of anything similar I've ever played, like Bayonetta or whatever. I guess the original God of War games is the closest I got, maybe Darksiders as well. So this is more of an experiment to see if it works for me.

Come to think of it, the other game I'm playing at the moment, Sundered, isn't completely dissimilar either, only in 2D metroidvania-ish form. Not sure my right thumb agrees with me alternating between these two games.

caid

I'd skip the old ones and just play the most recent. The first game was a first of sorts for the genre but even back then it was a bit rough past the presentation (which wont hold up obviously). The 2nd on were a bit more solid and pretty enjoyable but they were all solid 8/10 more than anything else. Its a genre thats been done better by others since really - Bayonetta and God of War being the main ones.
The 2 most recent will hold up well and be good games, i'd say you missed the boat on the older ones and you'll really struggle to get anything out of them.
The story is total nonsense - you're a demon hunter who hunts demons. Thats it, story for every entry completely spoiled - sorry.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started Hades on PS5 after having played it about 5.000 hours on Switch. Utterly addicted again. Can't stop playing.

Ainu

I'd skip the old ones and just play the most recent. The first game was a first of sorts for the genre but even back then it was a bit rough past the presentation (which wont hold up obviously). The 2nd on were a bit more solid and pretty enjoyable but they were all solid 8/10 more than anything else. Its a genre thats been done better by others since really - Bayonetta and God of War being the main ones.

The 2 most recent will hold up well and be good games, i'd say you missed the boat on the older ones and you'll really struggle to get anything out of them.

The story is total nonsense - you're a demon hunter who hunts demons. Thats it, story for every entry completely spoiled - sorry.
I always hate jumping into a series at a random point, unless they're completely separate entities like Final Fantasy or something. That's just how my stupid brain works. :lol: I need to experience it from the start.

I'm actually surprised by the first game, it's much more restrained than I had expected it to be. Despite definitely feeling dated, the atmosphere has remained intact. Sure, it's janky and punishing, but I'm still enjoying it for what it is. I probably would've loved it back then.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Does anybody have any particular things that they're particular about with games and don't particularly enjoy them if they aren't included (or not)?

I've realised that the only games I enjoy are ones with some kind of puzzle element – whether decision-making like strategy/RPGs, inventory management, or straight-up sudoku-esque brain teasers. I tend to get bored otherwise.
feckin unskipabble cut scenes. If I wanted to watch some half arsed anime I would.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Anyone here played Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord? I’m probably about 10 hours into my first campaign and it’s pretty addictive in a “I don’t know what’s going on” sort of way. Been looking at a few guides online for certain things because the game doesn’t really tell you what to do for the most part. I have to say though, there’s something about just charging into battle alongside a commanded army that feeds my inner child. Incredibly satisfying, and I’m looking forward to doing that with 1000 plus troop battles and sieges.

Superunknown

I've got a few games on the go at the moment in a laidback/casual sort of way. Dipping in and out of Gran Turismo and No Man's Sky, and have started Alan Wake, which is more of an evening/lights-out sort of experience. I was craving something else to get stuck into and stumbled across Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before. The closest I've come is watching my wife play Black Flag, which she loved. I decided to go for it and downloaded this yesterday. Struggled a little at the beginning with the parkour controls, especially the whole idea of running and climbing onto walls. For some reason, I kept kicking off the wall and going off in a completely different direction, until I read online that you need to hold down the X button along with R2 to initiate the climb, as just pressing it results in the wallkick. Unless it was very, very brief and I missed it, I swear this wasn't explained at all right at the beginning. It led to some early frustration, with that race to the top of the church against Ezio's brother being more of a pain than it should have been due to the controls being fiddly.

However, I've stuck with it and have got used to the controls. The game is awesome. It's really quite beautiful to look at, still. Love the setting of Florence/Firenze. I've had a couple of wow moments climbing up towers and architecture and checking out the views. I've been to Florence, and it's a beautiful city. They've captured it really well here, it feels recognisable and authentic. I can imagine that this was pretty groundbreaking at the time, and I'm relieved that it still holds up very well in 2023. I'm enjoying the mechanics of the game. I've learned how to blend in with crowds, so I've been having fun blending with a crowd, approaching a guard, assassinating that guard, and scurrying off unnoticed. It does feel pretty awesome. All in all, looking forward to playing more later.

Bebe

Rockstar make amazing games, but the Red Dead Redemption announcement is taking the p*ss.

($50 USD for a PS4/Switch version of RDR1 + Undead Nightmare...in 2023).

Superunknown

Rockstar make amazing games, but the Red Dead Redemption announcement is taking the p*ss.

($50 USD for a PS4/Switch version of RDR1 + Undead Nightmare...in 2023).
Yeah, it's disappointing...to put it mildly. I guess they're seeing how far they can push things.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Anyone here played Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord? I’m probably about 10 hours into my first campaign and it’s pretty addictive in a “I don’t know what’s going on” sort of way. Been looking at a few guides online for certain things because the game doesn’t really tell you what to do for the most part. I have to say though, there’s something about just charging into battle alongside a commanded army that feeds my inner child. Incredibly satisfying, and I’m looking forward to doing that with 1000 plus troop battles and sieges.
Loved the original - so many awesome mods, I must have sunk hundreds of hours into it in the end. I've got Bannerlord but haven't played much of it yet, iirc it was buggy as shit when I bought it. I take it it's worth playing now?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Loved the original - so many awesome mods, I must have sunk hundreds of hours into it in the end. I've got Bannerlord but haven't played much of it yet, iirc it was buggy as shit when I bought it. I take it it's worth playing now?
I have it on PS5, and it has run and played really well so far. I haven't encountered any bugs or serious graphical glitches. It's a fun game, I could see myself sinking a lot of time into it over multiple playthroughs.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I have it on PS5, and it has run and played really well so far. I haven't encountered any bugs or serious graphical glitches. It's a fun game, I could see myself sinking a lot of time into it over multiple playthroughs.
That's good enough for me, I'll take another crack at it

Ainu

Played Road 96 recently which was pretty decent. I enjoyed the theme of the journey and meeting people along the way, and the different ways to cross the border. Kind of wish it had more of an Oregon Trail aspect to it though as although you can do a NG+ it mostly loses it's replayability.
I finished this yesterday and don't really understand why it seems to be so highly rated. I've seen it called one of the best games ever, praised for its "exceptional" writing and referred to as an emotional journey. It wasn't even close to any of that for me.

The concept itself is interesting and I like that they tried something different, but the execution is lacking. In practice, it doesn't really go beyond a series of mostly disconnected Telltale/Life is Strange style vignettes. Seeing each of the supporting cast's stories advance is nice, but your role as player in each encounter feels incredibly contrived. The writing itself often comes across as juvenile.

The whole political background thing never moves beyond the superficial. As a player, I was never motivated to care about any of it. And then the ending happened and I still didn't care. I'd rate this a 6/10 if I'm being generous.

AaronRedDevil

Just saw the Yakuza 8 overview and the story looks amazing. Though I'm seeing that there's no physical release? What the feck. I only do digital for certain online games but no physical release is something I hope doesn't become the norm.

Last edited:

Ainu

Been playing some Owlboy this weekend. It really isn't a very good game, is it? Stunning pixel art, maybe the best I've ever seen, but beyond that and some of the soundtrack, nothing about it is good. Movement feels bad, combat feels bad, some of the design decisions are terrible (no map??). There's no platforming since you can fly, there's no metroidvania elements, there's barely any puzzles and while there are bossfights, they aren't even remotely interesting because combat is so extremely limited in terms of mechanics. There's basically nothing, it's boring as hell.

How on earth is this such a critically acclaimed game? Close to 90 on Opencritic, are you joking?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Been playing some Owlboy this weekend. It really isn't a very good game, is it? Stunning pixel art, maybe the best I've ever seen, but beyond that and some of the soundtrack, nothing about it is good. Movement feels bad, combat feels bad, some of the design decisions are terrible (no map??). There's no platforming since you can fly, there's no metroidvania elements, there's barely any puzzles and while there are bossfights, they aren't even remotely interesting because combat is so extremely limited in terms of mechanics. There's basically nothing, it's boring as hell.

How on earth is this such a critically acclaimed game? Close to 90 on Opencritic, are you joking?
Thank feck I read this. Was gonna buy this game next.

Ainu

Thank feck I read this. Was gonna buy this game next.
Pretty much every single review website gave this thing a 9/10, clearly many people loved it. So yeah, don't let my opinion decide for you I guess. But I seriously cannot wrap my head around that. There must've been some sort of collective delusion going on among reviewers.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Pretty much every single review website gave this thing a 9/10, clearly many people loved it. So yeah, don't let my opinion decide for you I guess. But I seriously cannot wrap my head around that. There must've been some sort of collective delusion going on among reviewers.
I trust your opinion

Selbourne

Anyone getting Blasphemous 2? I loved the first one, I thought it had good gameplay with fantastic art direction. Seems to be getting good reviews

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Anyone getting Blasphemous 2? I loved the first one, I thought it had good gameplay with fantastic art direction. Seems to be getting good reviews
Yeah I completed the first and enjoyed it so will pick this up when I finish the stuff I'm currently on.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Is Octopath Traveler any good? I'm looking for a good JRPG to play and preferably something turn based. This one seems to fit the bill but I'm still torn between it or Persona 5. I also noticed Octopath has I, II, III on steam and I don't know if you have to play it in order to fully enjoy it or not.

Ainu

Definitely, seems like an improvement over the first which was already very good.

Is Octopath Traveler any good? I'm looking for a good JRPG to play and preferably something turn based. This one seems to fit the bill but I'm still torn between it or Persona 5. I also noticed Octopath has I, II, III on steam and I don't know if you have to play it in order to fully enjoy it or not.
I didn't really like the first Octopath Traveler. The 8 characters have their own path and almost don't seem to acknowledge each other's existence, even when in the same party. They're not exactly well written either. The combat system is neat but fights are very slow and can take a while. I found the whole thing a massive grind without a gripping narrative to drive you forward.

The second game is supposed to be a significant improvement with 8 new characters and stories, so I would just skip the first and play that.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Persona 5 is probably the best modern JRPG/life sim, it’s incredible. I’d recommend getting the Royal version if you can. Octopath is a nice little throwback to classic RPGs but nowhere near as good really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Kena is so, so good. Visually one of the best games I’ve ever laid my eyes on. And while there are many typical mechanics you’d expect from a game of its kind and the combat isn’t stellar, it’s one of those games which has just that sensory immersion -the sound, music, visual design and controller feedback all come together so well.

I’m pretty sure a similar gameplay loop wouldn’t feel as good if it was done by another developer. But these guys seem to understand how to package the experience to create that connect. Lovely (so far).

Moby

Dick
I haven't played the former but Persona 5 is up there with the best gaming experience I've ever had.