Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I loved that movie, so odd. The can of tomatoes scene had me rolling around laughing, not sure thats an entirely normal reaction but ... yeah
I don't remember the can of tomatoes scene, but I remember not ever looking at fried chicken the same way afterwards.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The Golden Child

Eddie Murphy's stinkers were not confined to the '90s and beyond. Flimsy plot, very badly dated special effects, but worst of all close to zero laughs. There's a reason why I'd forgotten about this film.

2/10
Her who's in it as the love interest is fit though.

Sylar

Watched How It Ends on Netflix.
Thought id give it a chance as its got Forest Whitaker

Its absolutely crap. Its a 'end of the world' type movie, but its basically just a roadtrip movie where stupid shit happens, and in the end, its crap. What a waste of time.I am normally very lax about movies and give it the benefit of doubt (And I enjoy some trash and rate it higher than it deserves), but this was just shit .
Ugh.

I watched 12 strong too. Based on a true story, but im guessing they took major liberties with this.
Regardless, this was much better. It has Thor, Zod, Luis from Antman, and others.

AaronRedDevil

Watched How It Ends on Netflix.
Thought id give it a chance as its got Forest Whitaker

Its absolutely crap. Its a 'end of the world' type movie, but its basically just a roadtrip movie where stupid shit happens, and in the end, its crap. What a waste of time.I am normally very lax about movies and give it the benefit of doubt (And I enjoy some trash and rate it higher than it deserves), but this was just shit .
Ugh.

I watched 12 strong too. Based on a true story, but im guessing they took major liberties with this.
Regardless, this was much better. It has Thor, Zod, Luis from Antman, and others.
How it ends did bore the hell out of me. Netflix really need to stop making movies for their platform. I’ve nearly seem all of them and 9 times out of 10. The movie sucks. Only good Netflix movies I’ve seen are Beast of No Nation, Siege of Jadotville, Bright, Babysitter, Extraction, Irishman?, Marriage story. A few more. But my god, they are either great or complete shit.
Thought 12 strong was pretty decent.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Killer Joe: grim and inevitably dark and kept me hooked.
This movie put me off chicken drumsticks for a while :lol:

The Golden Child

Eddie Murphy's stinkers were not confined to the '90s and beyond. Flimsy plot, very badly dated special effects, but worst of all close to zero laughs. There's a reason why I'd forgotten about this film.

2/10
I remember watching this crap whilst waiting to watch Royal Rumble live on channel 4. Piece of shit movie put me to sleep and I missed the wrestling :mad:

Sylar

How it ends did bore the hell out of me. Netflix really need to stop making movies for their platform. I’ve nearly seem all of them and 9 times out of 10. The movie sucks. Only good Netflix movies I’ve seen are Beast of No Nation, Siege of Jadotville, Bright, Babysitter, Extraction, Irishman?, Marriage story. A few more. But my god, they are either great or complete shit.
Thought 12 strong was pretty decent.
Ill check out the ones highlighted.
Rarely do movies piss me off, but this one was a complete pisstake.

AaronRedDevil

Ill check out the ones highlighted.
Rarely do movies piss me off, but this one was a complete pisstake.
Didnt even see the ending. Left with 30 mins left. Beasts is like Blood diamond, babysitter is like home alone with more violence. Siege of jadotville is a standoff with irish soldiers. Brilliant movies.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ban women from this thread

(Older article here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...rent-based-almost-entirely-on-what-men-think/)
Very interesting.

I'd rather talk movies with the dorky Harry Potter dweebette who likes toons and musicals, than being stuck listening to the bloke who's obsessed with war as male tragedy, heroic conservative virtue and needy masculine angst.

Kind of shows you how bad women and girls are served when it comes to quality cinema.

jungledrums

Very interesting.

I'd rather talk movies with the dorky Harry Potter dweebette who likes toons and musicals, than being stuck listening to the bloke who's obsessed with war as male tragedy, heroic conservative virtue and needy masculine angst.

Kind of shows you how bad women and girls are served when it comes to quality cinema.
Are you saying that a significant cross section of people who like the upper column are ‘dweebettes’, and a significant cross section of people who like the below column are ‘obsessed with war as male tragedy’?
I wouldn’t want to discuss film with either version of person in your example - both sound insufferable. Fortunately, the examples you raise are oddly specific and not the majority I wouldn’t think. Wouldn’t it be much better to discuss film with someone that critiques film based on its cinematic merit? And why couldn’t you find that sort of person based on the films listed in those two columns?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Are you saying that a significant cross section of people who like the upper column are ‘dweebettes’, and a significant cross section of people who like the below column are ‘obsessed with war as male tragedy’?
I wouldn’t want to discuss film with either version of person in your example - both sound insufferable. Fortunately, the examples you raise are oddly specific and not the majority I wouldn’t think. Wouldn’t it be much better to discuss film with someone that critiques film based on its cinematic merit? And why couldn’t you find that sort of person based on the films listed in those two columns?
No I just created a fictional person as representative of each chart for a jape. Imagining these insufferables is amusing to me.

But also the jape was lightly trying to point out that in focusing on the (arguably - although not arguably) superior technical merit and directorial vision of most of the films in the male rankings, we are missing something more important that is represented in the chart breakdown: that male narratives have been so dominant throughout the history of fiction and now Cinema, and that perhaps females are not being catered for in the same way. And that the rather narrow range of male voice and psychology represented in the chart shows how important representation is in art. What a boon it would be for all of us - women, trans, alien or even men - to be exposed to a greater variety of voices.

Also animation and musicals are so dope, I want that friend.

jungledrums

No I just created a fictional person as representative of each chart for a jape. Imagining these insufferables is amusing to me.

But also the jape was lightly trying to point out that in focusing on the (arguably - although not arguably) superior technical merit and directorial vision of most of the films in the male rankings, we are missing something more important that is represented in the chart breakdown: that male narratives have been so dominant throughout the history of fiction and now Cinema, and that perhaps females are not being catered for in the same way. And that the rather narrow range of male voice and psychology represented in the chart shows how important representation is in art. What a boon it would be for all of us - women, trans, alien or even men - to be exposed to a greater variety of voices.

Fair points, I see what you were saying, but I don’t think it’s been my experience that most films I consume (or indeed most highly regarded films) are examples of the ‘male voice’ - or perhaps I need to clarify what you mean by the male voice? Are you referring to stereotypically ‘masculine’ tales (ie war films/action films etc), or are you referring to films that follow male protagonists or are directed by males?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Very interesting.

do you really think that all the good movies in the bottom half have nothing for women in them, whether its because of the themes in them or the male protagonists, that the film becomes meaningless for women?

even if you dont want to make a mars-venus essentialist point, a possible explanation is that women spend more time with children and inevitably watch more children's movies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is Unforgiven all that good anyway? I say it isn't that memorable at all, and that's before I even consider the terminal cliché of 'Just one last job...'

SteveJ

Scout
No offence meant to, er, Unforgiven, mate. It's probably just that I'm a bit fed up of the 'one last job' theme. :)

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Fair enough. I think it's a technically gorgeous film. The cinematography is fantastic and the way Eastwood used each scene's lighting to accentuate the story, including Munny's personal descent to his old self, help pull the viewer into the moment. The main characters are memorable and well constructed and there's a bit of humour in it at times, too.

Don't let one tlittle thing spoilt it for you, after all there are only so many themes.

SteveJ

Scout
The technical stuff is always lost on me though (I didn't even understand what was unusual about the action in the Tenet trailer until it was explained to me), let alone the complexities of lighting, cinematography and so on.

Much of my criticism of things is often silly and personal, mate. For example, I get irritated by things that are hyped (or rather, over-hyped) when I should consider them on their merits. Not that this really applies to Unforgiven - it's more a general fault of mine. More aptly, ever since I read Achebe's criticism of Heart of Darkness - one of his points being the solipsistic obsession with one man's rise and fall & his Hamlet-esque brooding self-reflection against a backdrop of neglected other lives - I've struggled with that kind of egocentricity...and yet I, somewhat guiltily, love stories like that.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@jungledrums both.

I was just struck by how very boys own adventurey the male chart was.

Also I'm not being accusatory. I'm as guilty as anyone. I fecking love Bergman and H. Melville and all that tortured masculinity shit. I like to think of myself as well rounded and exposed to a diverse range of artistic voices but most of my favourite stuff is similarly made up of stories by, about and for men. Even a Frankenstein or Wuthering Heights which I cherish as great works and great female works are heavily influenced and populated by malenessnesses.

@berbatrick Fems can and should watch these great "male" films and likely get as much out of them as blokeys, I'm saying that we should all get the opportunity to experience new and underrepresented voices. I'm not being essentialist, simply pointing to a limited range of the films in the chart and suggesting we be conscious of the possibility of restricted viewing habits based on social/cultural/racial/gender constructions. And only because it might be more fun and enriching.

And sure the chart is not entirely representative. It's made up of people who click on shit on the internet - not a good subset - and no doubt there are other biases at play, however you tend to see similar trends in lots of movie lists.

None of which is necessarily bad but variety can be good.

@SteveJ back at ya bud.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why don't women like Unforgiven? What's their problem?
Probably because it's a shit film?? I've said it before but how the hell it won Oscars when it was nowhere the best film that year was a complete travesty.

SteveJ

Scout
Art Vandelay said:
Why don't women like Unforgiven? What's their problem?
Perhaps because, in a more balanced world in terms of gender equivalency, the true focus of the film would be the prostitute who was harmed and not the usual and predictable male quester who's supposedly getting her revenge for her (even if the fee for the job is raised by women). The whole thing is soaked in an irony which Eastwood somehow misses, from the very cause of the incident that lights the fuse. As it stands, the film has (IMO) nowhere near as much nuance as its director might imagine.

Anyway, I daresay the alternative possibility I mentioned wouldn't really pull in the punters, more's the pity, even with a big-name female star in the lead. And it's hard to imagine Eastwood dressing as a female hooker.

Then again, perhaps most women don't care for Westerns...

Last edited:

jungledrums

@jungledrums both.

I was just struck by how very boys own adventurey the male chart was.

Also I'm not being accusatory. I'm as guilty as anyone. I fecking love Bergman and H. Melville and all that tortured masculinity shit. I like to think of myself as well rounded and exposed to a diverse range of artistic voices but most of my favourite stuff is similarly made up of stories by, about and for men. Even a Frankenstein or Wuthering Heights which I cherish as great works and great female works are heavily influenced and populated by malenessnesses.

@berbatrick Fems can and should watch these great "male" films and likely get as much out of them as blokeys, I'm saying that we should all get the opportunity to experience new and underrepresented voices. I'm not being essentialist, simply pointing to a limited range of the films in the chart and suggesting we be conscious of the possibility of restricted viewing habits based on social/cultural/racial/gender constructions. And only because it might be more fun and enriching.

And sure the chart is not entirely representative. It's made up of people who click on shit on the internet - not a good subset - and no doubt there are other biases at play, however you tend to see similar trends in lots of movie lists.

None of which is necessarily bad but variety can be good.

@SteveJ back at ya bud.
Fair points, but of course the list will show ‘boys own adventure’ sorts of films - it’s literally the requirement to make it on that list. It is a prerequisite for films on that list to be ‘disliked’ by the opposing gender (I know that is simplifying it, but you take my point). The list only considers films that have a discrepancy between how they are received by male and female audiences, so naturally it will show blokey films in the bloke category, and the more stereotypically ‘girly’ films in the other. That doesn’t really tell us anything new and I don’t think that list makes any particularly revolutionary (or indeed noteworthy) point. I think it would be more worthwhile to look at the films that share similar appreciation from both genders and see what conclusions we can draw about the kinds of films our audiences are exposed to/what we generally like as an audience.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The technical stuff is always lost on me though (I didn't even understand what was unusual about the action in the Tenet trailer until it was explained to me), let alone the complexities of lighting, cinematography and so on.

Much of my criticism of things is often silly and personal, mate. For example, I get irritated by things that are hyped (or rather, over-hyped) when I should consider them on their merits. Not that this really applies to Unforgiven - it's more a general fault of mine. More aptly, ever since I read Achebe's criticism of Heart of Darkness - one of his points being the solipsistic obsession with one man's rise and fall & his Hamlet-esque brooding self-reflection against a backdrop of neglected other lives - I've struggled with that kind of egocentricity...and yet I, somewhat guiltily, love stories like that.
Don't be so hard on yourself. The technical stuff is easy to appreciate. Your eyes are there to be dazzled by the picture, too.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Fair points, but of course the list will show ‘boys own adventure’ sorts of films - it’s literally the requirement to make it on that list. It is a prerequisite for films on that list to be ‘disliked’ by the opposing gender (I know that is simplifying it, but you take my point). The list only considers films that have a discrepancy between how they are received by male and female audiences, so naturally it will show blokey films in the bloke category, and the more stereotypically ‘girly’ films in the other. That doesn’t really tell us anything new and I don’t think that list makes any particularly revolutionary (or indeed noteworthy) point. I think it would be more worthwhile to look at the films that share similar appreciation from both genders and see what conclusions we can draw about the kinds of films our audiences are exposed to/what we generally like as an audience.
I think one point that the lists raise is the clear difference in the percieved quality of the films in each list, it's that curious and glaring discrepancy that I'm having a go at unravelling. The point I'm trying to make is that, for the most part, the films in the chart favoured by the females are not considered to be of the same quality as those in the male list. The directors are far less well known and the films are not usually recognised for their technical and artistic merit. The male picks are widely perceived to be "better" films. So is that perhaps because male dominated critics circles and audiences can't see the artistic merit in these other films (I think not), or is it because maybe females have crap taste (again I think not) - replies on Twitter and in this thread suggest the latter, albeit somewhat jokingly (?).

I'm simply saying that it seems to me that a reason worth considering, for why the women's list has fewer celebrated classics, might have something to do with the overall dearth of well made, artistic and accessible cinema that is made by and about women. Where is the female River Kwai, or the female Raging Bull? - not necessarily war or boxing themed fare but powerhouse, auteur cinema with a budget and distribution. Where is the female Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa? They don't exist and I assume that is largely due to a lack of opportunity. Most of the great female directors, recognised for their craft and vision, have operated in the margins, with smaller budgets, making art house cinema for a smaller audience. You don't tend to have luxury, studio-backed female artists like the names above, instead you have grafting craftswomen like Varda, Reichardt, Denis.

It might also be that girls do have crap taste in films, or they don't care about cinema in the same nerdy way that blokes do, that's certainly not my personal experience though and I've not seen any convincing evidence to support that idea.

Frozen is great but if women are having to settle for Wonder Woman then that is a grave injustice that must be got to the bottom of. I want quality cinema to be accessible to everyone.

For a few Dollars more - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Paths of Glory - Largely male cast, male protag, battles, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Das Boot - Largely male cast, male protag, battles, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Dangal - Not seen it
Rashomon - Largely male cast, male protag, violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Unforgiven - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
The Bridge On The River Kwai - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Once Upon A Time In The West - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
The Thing - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)

Fight me and change my mind.

jungledrums

I think one point that the lists raise is the clear difference in the percieved quality of the films in each list, it's that curious and glaring discrepancy that I'm having a go at unravelling. The point I'm trying to make is that, for the most part, the films in the chart favoured by the females are not considered to be of the same quality as those in the male list. The directors are far less well known and the films are not usually recognised for their technical and artistic merit. The male picks are widely perceived to be "better" films. So is that perhaps because male dominated critics circles and audiences can't see the artistic merit in these other films (I think not), or is it because maybe females have crap taste (again I think not) - replies on Twitter and in this thread suggest the latter, albeit somewhat jokingly (?).

I'm simply saying that it seems to me that a reason worth considering, for why the women's list has fewer celebrated classics, might have something to do with the overall dearth of well made, artistic and accessible cinema that is made by and about women. Where is the female River Kwai, or the female Raging Bull? - not necessarily war or boxing themed fare but powerhouse, auteur cinema with a budget and distribution. Where is the female Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa? They don't exist and I assume that is largely due to a lack of opportunity. Most of the great female directors, recognised for their craft and vision, have operated in the margins, with smaller budgets, making art house cinema for a smaller audience. You don't tend to have luxury, studio-backed female artists like the names above, instead you have grafting craftswomen like Varda, Reichardt, Denis.

It might also be that girls do have crap taste in films, or they don't care about cinema in the same nerdy way that blokes do, that's certainly not my personal experience though and I've not seen any convincing evidence to support that idea.

Frozen is great but if women are having to settle for Wonder Woman then that is a grave injustice that must be got to the bottom of. I want quality cinema to be accessible to everyone.

For a few Dollars more - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Paths of Glory - Largely male cast, male protag, battles, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Das Boot - Largely male cast, male protag, battles, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Dangal - Not seen it
Rashomon - Largely male cast, male protag, violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Unforgiven - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
The Bridge On The River Kwai - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
Once Upon A Time In The West - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)
The Thing - Largely male cast, male protag, fights, guns violence, masculine introspection, acclaimed (Male director, actors)

Fight me and change my mind.
I suspected you were hinting at this. That’s a much more interesting point than what I initially thought you were saying, and a question very much worth asking.
I’d be interested in looking at the sample size and whether any actual conclusions can be drawn from the list though. It might not actually be a fair representation of female viewers. I wonder whether you’d find similar results from other equivalent tests, for example.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

*applauds*

Fingeredmouse

This is a great debate and @dumbo 's points are highly valid but what the chart showed was biggest variance between female and male ratings. This is absolutely not a split between male to female top 10s. I'm having a look for that to see if there is any variance but I guarantee they are relatively similar. I bet the number 1 is inexplicably The Shawshank Redemption for both sexes.

Also I fecking hate Clint Eastwood which I feel the need to state.

Edit:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-based-almost-entirely-on-what-men-think/amp/

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This is a great debate and @dumbo 's points are highly valid but what the chart showed was biggest variance between female and male ratings. This is absolutely not a split between male to female top 10s. I'm having a look for that to see if there is any variance but I guarantee they are relatively similar. I bet the number 1 is inexplicably The Shawshank Redemption for both sexes.

Also I fecking hate Clint Eastwood which I feel the need to state.

Edit:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-based-almost-entirely-on-what-men-think/amp/
So basically everyone would put Shawshank first so everyone has a shit taste in film. I'm glad we cleared this up.

SteveJ

Scout
Having confined women to the house and kitchen for centuries, men find themselves surprised that women's culture is so often lacking in scope, ambition, excitement and worldly experience...