Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Barbie
It starts out quite well and subtle in it's approach to the intended message, but the last 45 minutes are very on the nose and preachy.

Ken realizing men rule the real world is fantastic though. Really like Gossling in this.

7/10

pauldyson1uk

Soft & Quite

Playing out in real time, an elementary school teacher organizes a mixer of like-minded women, when she encounters a woman from her past, leading to a volatile chain of events.
WOW this is a hard watch, if you choose to watch it, do it blind.
It does not take long to know what the crux of the film is about.

6/10

pauldyson1uk

Prisoners of the Ghostland

A notorious criminal must break an evil curse in order to rescue an abducted girl who has mysteriously disappeared.
WTF did I just watch Totally batsit crazy.
Only watch because of Cage, but its still dreadful, but lets be honest who else but Cage could pull of a Black Leather exploding suit, that actually blows of one his ball off :lol: and an arm which he proceeds to replace Evil dead style with a samurai sword.
With Cage its barely watchable.
With out Cage easy on of the worst films ever and would rate a 1/10 at best
With Cage still dreadful but elevates it to a 4/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

A notorious criminal must break an evil curse in order to rescue an abducted girl who has mysteriously disappeared.
Only watch because of Cage, but its still dreadful, but lets be honest who else but Cage could pull of a Black Leather exploding suit, that actually blows of one his ball off :lol: and an arm which he proceeds to replace Evil dead style with a samurai sword.
I remember watching this shite in installments as a full feature length of this in one sitting was too much, even for me :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Christmas Bloody Christmas

It's Christmas Eve and Tori just wants to get drunk and party, but when a robotic Santa Claus at a nearby toy store goes haywire and begins a rampant killing spree through her small town, she's forced into a battle for survival.
Its a slasher, lots of blood lots of gore, you know exactly what you are getting.
This was not the worst slasher I have seen , mind you nor was it the best, it was OK
Think of Santa has a Terminator :lol:

4/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
I quite enjoyed Afterlife so was looking forward to this. It was a forgettable, clichéd briefest with too much reliance on CGI and not enough on story or characters. I watched it earlier today and barely remember what even happens in it. There was one funny scene with Paul Rudd and there was a moment where a hoover gets possessed @Carolina Red @BenitoSTARR so that made me laugh 3/10

Reactions: Carolina Red

Darkhorsez

The family and I went to see Civil War just now. Not sure if anyone else saw it. It was a decent movie and kind of a parallel on political divides in USA. It was more gory than I expected it to be. Found the ending a little let disjointed and ‘unrealistic’. But definitely one to watch in a theatre for visual and sound effects.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
I quite enjoyed Afterlife so was looking forward to this. It was a forgettable, clichéd briefest with too much reliance on CGI and not enough on story or characters. I watched it earlier today and barely remember what even happens in it. There was one funny scene with Paul Rudd and there was a moment where a hoover gets possessed @Carolina Red @BenitoSTARR so that made me laugh 3/10
I never knew it was a documentary?!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Monkey Man
Dev Patel's directorial debut about a man wanting to get revenge for the death of his mother.

I really, really enjoyed this. You can see the influences in this confident debut, from films such as John Wick, The Raid, Old Boy and even some stuff from Danny Boyle. The action scenes were brutal and really fun and the film had a really interesting look.

This did however, have a lot of "first feature" problems. The pacing was off, mainly because it slows to a halt in the middle act, where I nearly dozed off for a bit. There are also shots that spend way too long in shallow depth of field when a more established director might have elected for more establishing shots. Obviously, I don't mind it missing these but there needs to be reasoning behind it. Some things are also too heavy handed.

Also, found it funny that he takes pummelings butt never gets bruised and Dev put in a scene where he takes his top off and ladies literally scream in excitement :lol:

But putting that aside, as an action movie, this is what I want. Long action scenes without cutting every two seconds so you can actually see the choreography.

I would highly recommend and am excited to see what Dev does next. He can definitely be an action star and an interesting filmmaker 7.5/10
Yeah I enjoyed this as well and agree with a few of your criticisms especially re: the pacing in that middle bit. I also thought it suffered a bit from "Greengrass shaky cam" which was annoying at times during the fight scenes. Keep it feckin still man! But yeah, good action movie with an excellent sprinkling of banchods and manachods.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah I enjoyed this as well and agree with a few of your criticisms especially re: the pacing in that middle bit. I also thought it suffered a bit from "Greengrass shaky cam" which was annoying at times during the fight scenes. Keep it feckin still man! But yeah, good action movie with an excellent sprinkling of banchods and manachods.
Yeah this was a little annoying and I forgot to mention it but I have seen a lot of films that use this style so have kinda gotten used to it so didn't bother me that much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah this was a little annoying and I forgot to mention it but I have seen a lot of films that use this style so have kinda gotten used to it so didn't bother me that much.
“Greengrass shaky cam” is the worst thing to happen to action cinema in the last 50 years. Try and convince me otherwise.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
“Greengrass shaky cam” is the worst thing to happen to action cinema in the last 50 years. Try and convince me otherwise.
For me, it's the constant cutting/edits style action scenes that are far worse.

Look at Taken, there's about 50 cuts when Liam Neeson jumps over a fence :lol:

Jev

For me, it's the constant cutting/edits style action scenes that are far worse.

Look at Taken, there's about 50 cuts when Liam Neeson jumps over a fence :lol:

Even breaking the 180 rule multiple times. That was hilariously bad, up there with the infamous Bohemian Rhapsody scene.

Sweet Square

Getting rid of blanks and switching from squibs to CGI blood is another one. Always looks terrible. Plus giving actors gun training in order for more “realism” has become incredibly stale.

Action cinema use to be an art form

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The family and I went to see Civil War just now. Not sure if anyone else saw it. It was a decent movie and kind of a parallel on political divides in USA. It was more gory than I expected it to be. Found the ending a little let disjointed and ‘unrealistic’. But definitely one to watch in a theatre for visual and sound effects.
Yeah there's a thread specifically on this film.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A few days after turning 30, I watched one of the Bourne sequels (the original Greengrass shaky cam films)... and got a headache.

Wing Attack Plan R

Special Correspondents (2016). Written, directed, starring Ricky Gervais.
After 20 minutes of browsing Netflix, hit play in desperation.
It's a remake of a French film that I haven't seen but I wonder if the whole premise works better in France. Loosely, a cocky radio journalist and a sound engineer are forced to pretend they are in war-torn Ecuador, faking broadcasts from above a restaurant in NYC. A couple funny moments, mostly Gervais' one-liners. The premise is thin, entertaining in parts, with some odd casting choices. Kevin Pollack is the radio station boss, and he can be really funny but plays this as a hardass. Kelly MacDonald is it, as the office girl mooning over sweet boy Gervais, and her accent is slipperier than a greased eel. It is fairly tepid until the final 1/4 of the film, and only then does it come good. I think it needed an edge it didn't have, or it needed to be dulled down to "family fare". Gervais plays a version of the nice guy loser, and he's way more effective as a sarcastic, bitter, hilarious cretin. They should have switched the two roles between him and Eric Banal, who is among the blandest actors I've ever seen*. If him and Chris Pratt were in a bland-off competition, both would beat white bread for most boring.
*this is Banal with his odd American accent. When he uses his normal accent, he's actually quite charming.
6/10

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Immaculate
A young woman of devout faith (Sydney Sweeney) is warmly welcomed to the picture-perfect Italian countryside where she is offered a new role at an illustrious convent. But it becomes clear to Cecilia that her new home harbors dark and horrifying secrets. This was far better than I thought it would be. It is a brisk 80 minutes, the lead actress performed really well, the mystery was interesting and some of the gore and violence was of the fun and twisted kind. There were many moments where characters did things that made me face-palm but this is a far better movie about this topic than something like The Nun movies. It goes a bit bat-shit towards the end and lifts this movie to above your average horror offering 6.5/10

Sweet Square

Mad Max(1979)

As a stand alone film it’s ok but a mess. Watching it as a George Miller sketchpad with him throwing a ton of ideas at the screen is imo the best way to view the film.

Can see a lot of ideas which get developed later on in the series.

Overall it’s worth a watch

7/10

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Mad Max(1979)

As a stand alone film it’s ok but a mess. Watching it as a George Miller sketchpad with him throwing a ton of ideas at the screen is imo the best way to view the film.

Can see a lot of ideas which get developed later on in the series.

Overall it’s worth a watch

7/10
Are you going through the entire franchise before FURIOSA?

Wing Attack Plan R

Damn, now I have to see this!

Sweet Square

Are you going through the entire franchise before FURIOSA?
Yep and then hopefully ending it with Furiosa in imax.

I need to rewatch Mad Max 2 as I haven’t seen it in over a decade and Mad Max 3 I’ve never watched. Fury Road is imprinted onto my eyeballs but my local cinema is showing it just before Furiosa comes out which is a good enough excuse to watch it again.

CoopersDream

I seem to be alone in her liking the 'Greengrass shaky cam'. Greengrass' own Bourne sequels are some of the best action movies of the 2000's. Especially Ultimatum is incredible.

Anyways, I'm currently going through Wim Wenders' filmography. Last one was Alice in the Cities. A very pleasant watch, and it's filled with great moments. Looking forward to more Wenders.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yep and then hopefully ending it with Furiosa in imax.

I need to rewatch Mad Max 2 as I haven’t seen it in over a decade and Mad Max 3 I’ve never watched. Fury Road is imprinted onto my eyeballs but my local cinema is showing it just before Furiosa comes out which is a good enough excuse to watch it again.
2 and 3 were the best by some distance and have aged much better that the original (last time I saw them, which is a while). Fury Road bored me to tears so I'll be reading reviews and seeing the reaction on here before bothering with Furiosa.

Sweet Square

Anyways, I'm currently going through Wim Wenders' filmography. Last one was Alice in the Cities. A very pleasant watch, and it's filled with great moments. Looking forward to more Wenders.
He’s one of the greats. Are you going in order ?

I recently watched both The American Friend and Wings Of Desire. I was a bit mixed on Wings as it’s got great moments but it’s a film the East German commies would have censored and they would have been correct to do so. Beautiful but strange end of history vibe movie.

The American Friend is a must watch.

2 and 3 were the best by some distance and have aged much better that the original (last time I saw them, which is a while).
What I do like in the original and from what I remember of 2 is how Aussie the films are. While I love Fury Road it’s very clearly a Hollywood movie. One of the reasons I’m looking forward to Furiosa is Chris Hemsworth role as the main villain.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What I do like in the original and from what I remember of 2 is how Aussie the films are. While I love Fury Road it’s very clearly a Hollywood movie. One of the reasons I’m looking forward to Furiosa is Chris Hemsworth role as the main villain.
3 was a bit more Hollywood but still far more Aussie than Fury Road.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I couldn't take 3 seriously with Tina Turner as the leader of the Thunderdome. I thought that was some of the worst casting I'd ever seen. 2 is a legendary classic, 1 was good, 3 abysmal, Fury Road is the 2nd best of the bunch for me.
I didn't mind Tina Turner, the accent aside, although it was perhaps too Hollywood for a Mad Max film. Although Australia is a nation with a huge proportion of people not born on these shores so not that unbelievable that an American would be here I guess. 1 was great but has dated quite badly, 2 was the best. Fury Road just didn't work for me for some reason. Maybe it is because Charlize Theron is in it as I don't really like her in much at all. Tom Hardy was great but somehow didn't work for me as Max - too different from a young Mel Gibson maybe. The cars/stunts also didn't quite work for me as they seemed to be getting more and more sophisticated, whereas you might expect the opposite, or maybe it was almost getting to be a parody of itself - or something.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Late Night With The Devil

Crappy "horror" shot in a Mocumentary style about a failing US talkshow host who brings on a possessed teen to try and win back some viewers. Really not sure where the plaudits for this are coming from or why. It's just ok at best with B movie presentation and some terrible acting.

CoopersDream

He’s one of the greats. Are you going in order ?

I recently watched both The American Friend and Wings Of Desire. I was a bit mixed on Wings as it’s got great moments but it’s a film the East German commies would have censored and they would have been correct to do so. Beautiful but strange end of history vibe movie.

The American Friend is a must watch.
Yes, I am going in order. The American Friend should be coming up relatively soon, looking forward to it!