Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

Late Night with the Devil

A live television broadcast in 1977 goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation's living rooms.
This was way better an I thought it would be, the acting from David Dalmastchian is top drawer and for me he makes the film.

8/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Confess Fletch. Sort of a deadpan mystery comedy. Apparently a sequel to some 80s films with Chevy Chase, but I only found out afterwards. Without that background, the film is fun of full surprises, and also quite funny - until the last half hour probably. 3/5

The Accountant. An accountant with a top-notch military training who investigates accounting errors for top criminals gets into trouble at what should have been a safe job and has to fight his way out. The premise is ridiculous, but the film is fun. And no, it's not with Jason Statham: Ben Affleck gets his turn here. 3/5

My Neighbour Totoro. Ghibli strikes once more. This one seems geared towards a somewhat younger audience than Nausicaa and Laputa, but it's great again. I just love the spirit, imagination, and magical realism of these films, and all the naturalistic little details that add so much beyond the stuff that drives the story on. 4/5

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I liked it, and I generally like those puzzle movies. Did you see or like Identity? (Also Cusack)
I know you didn't ask me but I loved Identity (and 1408). Cusack is one of my favourite actors.

The Strays
A woman living an idyllic life has everything turned upside down when her troublesome past catches up with her.

Not a bad movie, the main actress was good, the mystery was tense and the ending made me laugh and I liked the bold decision they made but the themes were too heavy handed and there characters were not fleshed out enough for my liking 5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Immaculate

what a let down, I was expecting something much better, started slow and never really got going, had a few moments, but nothing to write home about

5/10
Yeah it was a bit underwhelming. Considering the story, it could've been a fun baroque horror, but it felt very much like a paint-by-numbers exercise by someone with very little talent or vision. Not the worse film, but eminently forgettable.

Roosney

Moonlight
I had heard so much good about this and the premise was really promising but I just couldn't finish this movie. I even tried twice. Hard to put my finger on what was so bad but I guess it was all the stereotypical characters and storylines we have seen a dozen times. Not sure if it was the actors or the director but everything felt very contrived.

3/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Confess Fletch. Sort of a deadpan mystery comedy. Apparently a sequel to some 80s films with Chevy Chase, but I only found out afterwards. Without that background, the film is fun of full surprises, and also quite funny - until the last half hour probably. 3/5

The Accountant. An accountant with a top-notch military training who investigates accounting errors for top criminals gets into trouble at what should have been a safe job and has to fight his way out. The premise is ridiculous, but the film is fun. And no, it's not with Jason Statham: Ben Affleck gets his turn here. 3/5

My Neighbour Totoro. Ghibli strikes once more. This one seems geared towards a somewhat younger audience than Nausicaa and Laputa, but it's great again. I just love the spirit, imagination, and magical realism of these films, and all the naturalistic little details that add so much beyond the stuff that drives the story on. 4/5
'Confess Fletch' was an absolute trainwreck compared to the first true 'Fletch,' completely besmirches its legacy. Unwatchable in that regard & seemingly so with no backstory understood. It adheres closer to the books than the original did, but the comedic level of the original napalms all over the recent iteration.

Both were better than the abortion 'Fletch Lives' however & I couldn't even finish 'Confess Fletch.'

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Moonlight
I had heard so much good about this and the premise was really promising but I just couldn't finish this movie. I even tried twice. Hard to put my finger on what was so bad but I guess it was all the stereotypical characters and storylines we have seen a dozen times. Not sure if it was the actors or the director but everything felt very contrived.

3/10
+1

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Moonlight

3/10
Wow

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Moonlight

3/10
I watched this in the cinema and I’m not sure I’d have enjoyed it half as much on the small screen. The storyline is a fairly unimportant part of the whole experience. You kind of have to immerse yourself in it and I reckon I’d be constantly taken out of the experience by my pathetic phone addiction. That’s one of my big promises to myself this year. Watch all the movies I might love in the cinema.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Late Night With Devil
The Halloween special of a 1970s late night TV show becomes a little too real, unleashing a demonic presence into the studio. This is why I watch 100s of shit indie horror... To find gems like this.Brilliantly acted especially by David Dalmastchian, he's really ready to break into the big time. Loved the set design, the score, the effects etc. Just a sublime indie horror movie that is different and fresh 8.5/10

P.s. @BenitoSTARR you should watch this... You're in it :lol:

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I watched this in the cinema and I’m not sure I’d have enjoyed it half as much on the small screen. The storyline is a fairly unimportant part of the whole experience. You kind of have to immerse yourself in it and I reckon I’d be constantly taken out of the experience by my pathetic phone addiction. That’s one of my big promises to myself this year. Watch all the movies I might love in the cinema.
People and technology these days eh!

Sweet Square

The Bride Of Frankenstein
The story is a lot of bollocks. It’s a confused mess with the film having no idea what it was to be(The Frankenstein the monster is insanely randomly)It’s set in a German village where everyone speaks with English or American accents. But……the film contains some of the greatest sci fi/horror shots of all time. The last 15 minutes is visually incredible.
9/10

Frankenhooker

Good b movie body horror which is also pro feminist/pro sex work. Fun watch.

8/10

Last edited:

Roosney

"Contrived" is definitely not the word I would have imagined being used to describe it.
The high school bullies and Chiron's best pal were unbearably bad. Also Ali's character felt very forced and stereotypical.

Good promise that, agreed.

pauldyson1uk

Pig Killer

Inspired by the terrifying story of Robert "Willy" Pickton, the pig farmer and prolific killer of women whose horrific crimes shocked the world.
A sick, twisted seedy film , that was just dreadful, I was hoping it would get better, was hoping that based on true life events, it would have something about it, OMG how wrong I was.
Acting was bad, script was bad even the music was dreadful.
Its no wonder he got away with killing so many, if the Police in this were anything to go on.
imdb has a score of 3.6, that is way to generous.
If your interested this is a link to him. https://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pickton-robert.htm

2/10 and thats for the way the Police got him at the end, about the only thing they did right.

pauldyson1uk

Nefarious

On the day of his scheduled execution, a convicted serial killer gets a psychiatric evaluation during which he claims he is a demon, and further claims that before their time is over, the psychiatrist will commit three murders of his own.
I thought it was very good, mainly set with just the 2 leads in a room,
Sean Patrick Flanery and Jordan Belfi both brillant.
A cracking film that I was not expecting to be so good.

8/10

pauldyson1uk

Reptile

Tom Nichols is a hardened New England detective, unflinching in his pursuit of a case where nothing is as it seems and it begins to dismantle the illusions in his own life.
Not a classic but not a bad Netflix film, cast is decent acting is decent, 2hours+ but it keeps you watching.

7/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Reptile

Tom Nichols is a hardened New England detective, unflinching in his pursuit of a case where nothing is as it seems and it begins to dismantle the illusions in his own life.
Not a classic but not a bad Netflix film, cast is decent acting is decent, 2hours+ but it keeps you watching.

7/10
I found this one kinda confusing. Benicio Del Toro plays this like he’s the detective he played in Traffic or his charm [meant character] in Sicario, but he looks like a flamenco dancer and his character is just not written the way he’s playing it. Mediocre

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Haunt

On Halloween, a group of friends encounter an "extreme" haunted house that promises to feed on their darkest fears. The night turns deadly as they come to the horrifying realization that some nightmares are real.
Had no Halloween in it, well apart from a bit of dressing up, but plenty of gore lots of blood.
Definitely worth a watch if you like blood and gore.

7/10

pauldyson1uk

Boston Strangler (2023)

This is excellent, told from the 2 female reporters side, both leads were very good. Keira Knightley and Carrie Coon. The last 20 mins were interesting, was Albert DeSalvo who confessed to being the Strangler, really the strangler.

8/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Fall Guy Enjoyable but forgettable 80's throwback action film. Great stunts and a decent use of Sydney as a set for once but don't expect a deep or meaningful plot. 7/10

Old Ma Crow

Monkey Man
A good watch and did justice to the genre, without the cheesy one-liners and bs. Some nice pokes at Modi and BJP India. 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Monkey Man
Dev Patel's directorial debut about a man wanting to get revenge for the death of his mother.

I really, really enjoyed this. You can see the influences in this confident debut, from films such as John Wick, The Raid, Old Boy and even some stuff from Danny Boyle. The action scenes were brutal and really fun and the film had a really interesting look.

This did however, have a lot of "first feature" problems. The pacing was off, mainly because it slows to a halt in the middle act, where I nearly dozed off for a bit. There are also shots that spend way too long in shallow depth of field when a more established director might have elected for more establishing shots. Obviously, I don't mind it missing these but there needs to be reasoning behind it. Some things are also too heavy handed.

Also, found it funny that he takes pummelings butt never gets bruised and Dev put in a scene where he takes his top off and ladies literally scream in excitement :lol:

But putting that aside, as an action movie, this is what I want. Long action scenes without cutting every two seconds so you can actually see the choreography.

I would highly recommend and am excited to see what Dev does next. He can definitely be an action star and an interesting filmmaker 7.5/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Boston Strangler (2023)

This is excellent, told from the 2 female reporters side, both leads were very good. Keira Knightley and Carrie Coon. The last 20 mins were interesting, was Albert DeSalvo who confessed to being the Strangler, really the strangler.

8/10
Have you seen the 1968 movie about this too?