Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Kong X Godzilla: The New Empire
I'm usually a fan of these brainless monster verse films but this was atrocious. Maybe I'm fatigued, maybe it's because I saw how good a monster movie can be with Minus 1... Whatever it is, this was shamefully boring and when things became anti-gravity, I was thinking "well this is ironic, a weightless film by all stretches of the imagination". It has enough action for those looking for that but there is zero substance to this movie 3/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Kong X Godzilla: The New Empire
I'm usually a fan of these brainless monster verse films but this was atrocious. Maybe I'm fatigued, maybe it's because I saw how good a monster movie can be with Minus 1... Whatever it is, this was shamefully boring and when things became anti-gravity, I was thinking "well this is ironic, a weightless film by all stretches of the imagination". It has enough action for those looking for that but there is zero substance to this movie 3/10
Wait until Detective Godzilla comes out later this year.

Tarrou

Road House - I thought casting Gylennhal as Dalton was weird but was kinda getting into it to begin with, and then McGregor shows up. Didn't get to the end.

Tarrou

The Artifice Girl

A team of special agents discovers a revolutionary new computer program to bait and trap online predators. After teaming up with the program's troubled developer, they soon find that the AI is rapidly advancing beyond its original purpose
Interesting film, well worth watching.

8/10
loved this too

as budget sci-fi goes it's right up there with the best

CoopersDream

Had a nice double feature tonight

First it was Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. A movie that knows exactly what it is, and it's quite entertaining. Whether it's Kong fighting Godzilla on the Cheops pyramid, or Kong fighting with Godzilla in zero gravity or in Rio, it's a feast for the eyes. It's better the less the humans talk obviously, and a lot of it is ridiculous but when it's giant monsters beating each other up it's quite glorious. 6/10

Then the second feature of the night Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey II. Production wise a huge step up from the first, it's actually a real slasher this one. The first one was probably more entertaining because of the b-movie fun factor in it, however there were a pretty sizeable amounts of good and varied kills in this one. I'm not a fan of slashers in general, and this was about as good or bad as most of them. Obviously it's funny to see Pooh gang, and this time there were a few more of them, Owl in particular had his moments. Looking forward to the third installment. 4/10

Overall a good night at the movies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Das Boot (1981)

Damn, they weren't kidding around when they made this movie, were they. Some incredible shots & directing. Proper movie.

Wing Attack Plan R

Cinema is dead.
Are these movies done campy and self referential, or do they play it straight? I haven't seen X or Pearl, and I really don't intend to. This looks shit. I'm not sure about the logic in incorporating a real serial killer into a fictional story. The Night Stalker was no joke here in Los Angeles.

pauldyson1uk

Are these movies done campy and self referential, or do they play it straight? I haven't seen X or Pearl, and I really don't intend to. This looks shit. I'm not sure about the logic in incorporating a real serial killer into a fictional story. The Night Stalker was no joke here in Los Angeles.
X was watchable, I thought Pearl was good.
I will watch Maxxxine, the trailer looks decent enough.

Sweet Square

It’s campy self referential. Pearl opens with Looney Tunes front and it’s over the top in both the acting and it’s references.

These films are probably a good starting off point for someone who have never heard about exploitation cinema or really any films before the 90’s which is a positive. But as a piece of art imo these films are very unoriginal. Plus Ti West is shite name.
Psycho for me is the greatest film of all time.

Id say i rent it on microsoft store twice a year.
It’s a perfect movie imo. I always love Hitchcock music album - Music to Be Murdered By

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Pearl was actually very good for the genre. X was decent, but a bit underwhelming.

caid

He made a good sci fi movie too which i cant type because its blocked on the site for dumb reasons. 1138

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I've been watching quite a few films recently, it's been a mixed bag.

I thoroughly disliked Possession, which was maybe the point, but I found it bleak to the extent that I just couldn't really get into it. I get the underlying themes at play here, but the overacting, the weird editing and the general vibe just didn't work for me.

For some reason I rewatched Rounders, which wasn't as good as in my memory, but was a quintessential 90s film that works well and has the enjoyment of a terribly over-the-top Malkovich performance when Malkovich was still a film, and Damon and Norton both come up with decent performances. Perfectly watchable, but not quite as good as I recalled.

Speaking of quintessential 90s film, The talented Mr Ripley worked better for me, the cast is fresh and charming (back then) and the whole film is bathed in an aura of elegance and coolness (helps that it's set on the Italian coast in the late 50s, with lazy sunny lightings and jazz to complement it all). The plot is fine and kinda holds up, and it's just a really enjoyable film to watch.

Fresh was... something else. Having not read anything about it before putting it on (I'd just seen a random dancing clip of Sebastian Stan and Daisy Edgar Jones on Instagram and assumed it was a romcom :lol:), I was quite surprised by it but my girlfriend and I being a fan of the horror genre, we both really "enjoyed" it (as much as you can "enjoy" something like this). It's helped by a really good leading duo of actors, and some decent side performances (Jonica T Gibbs is great as Noa's best friend) and taking the whole dating scene as a premise to it works quite well. It's pretty gore-y so I'd not recommend it if that disturbs you, but for fans of the genre, I think it will be enjoyed. @Dirty Schwein have you seen this one?

Still in the horror genre (but not gore), The Lodge was decent with a very predictable twist, but some creepy atmosphe setting. It was not bad.

We saw Kong x Godzilla or whatever it's called at the cinema and if you're in the mood for brainless, popcorn, monster genre nonsense, it's fine - not much else to say about it, it's not particularly pretty, the cast isn't particularly charismatic, some of the writing is proper lazy... but it's still a generally speaking fun ride.

Sleeping Dogs could've been a lot better than it was. It takes the premise of a former cop that suffers with Alzheimer's and is trying to reconstruct a former case he worked on, piecing everything together. The premise is kinda fun, but it very quickly delves into the usual tropes of the cop-movie genre with all its clichés and very few surprises. Perfectly forgettable.

Finally, we saw Dune 2 again (second time for me and first time for her) in a greaaaat IMAX cinema and man, what an experience. I'd liked it the first time around in a very decent settting, but seeing it as it should be, in those conditions... wow. My ears were ringing for a little while after that. I have a couple of friends who watched it from an illegal bootleg or something on their computer screen and I want to punch them for viewing it like that. I'll probably just change friends.

Sweet Square

I thoroughly disliked Possession, which was maybe the point, but I found it bleak to the extent that I just couldn't really get into it. I get the underlying themes at play here, but the overacting, the weird editing and the general vibe just didn't work for me.
Yeah I can’t imagine anyone watching and feeling good after. I felt pretty miserable but that’s why I loved it. Most horror films tend not to leave much of a horrible impression on me.

It’s genuinely uncomfortable to watch how the men in the film won’t leave Isabelle Adjani alone. The film pretty shows marriage as a form of torture for women.

It’s the second Żuławski film I’ve seen and I do sort of think his style is genius. Tbh I’m starting to now prefer the extremes of the camera almost never moving(Tsai Ming Liang)or the non stop movement of Żuławski. Although it’s really not for everyone or even most.

There’s also some interesting anti commie themes throughout Possession which I didn't get until see other reviews. It’s cool how Soviet Union ended up giving bunch directors who hated the system a ton of resources to make the best films ever.

Sweet Square

Immaculate

Good nun fun. No real depth and not a lot to say but some fun scares and plenty of blood. Lags near the end but finishes on a high point. Sydney Sweeney was pretty good as the lead. Plus it’s only 90’s minutes.

7/10

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Immaculate

Good nun fun. No real depth and not a lot to say but some fun scares and plenty of blood. Lags near the end but finishes on a high point. Sydney Sweeney was pretty good as the lead. Plus it’s only 90’s minutes.

7/10
Hhmmm the premise of it appeals to me but Sweeney being in it does not. Hope she s not her usual same annoying and mediocre self in it

pauldyson1uk

Immaculate

7/10
my favourite genre of film, horror/possession but its rare to find a decent one never mind a good one.
Reviews are good, trailer I have seen is decent.
Looking forward to seeing this.

pauldyson1uk

I've been watching quite a few films recently, it's been a mixed bag.

Fresh was... something else. Having not read anything about it before putting it on (I'd just seen a random dancing clip of Sebastian Stan and Daisy Edgar Jones on Instagram and assumed it was a romcom :lol:), I was quite surprised by it but my girlfriend and I being a fan of the horror genre, we both really "enjoyed" it (as much as you can "enjoy" something like this). It's helped by a really good leading duo of actors, and some decent side performances (Jonica T Gibbs is great as Noa's best friend) and taking the whole dating scene as a premise to it works quite well. It's pretty gore-y so I'd not recommend it if that disturbs you, but for fans of the genre, I think it will be enjoyed. @Dirty Schwein have you seen this one?

Still in the horror genre (but not gore), The Lodge was decent with a very predictable twist, but some creepy atmosphe setting. It was not bad.
I was the same with Fresh, I enjoyed, well if you can enjoy this sort of film !
I was not impressed with The Lodge. Maybe give it another go.

Loon

:lol:
THE CONTENDER (2000)

Hadn't seen this since its original release, but stumbled on it via Prime. The progressive feminism it was praised for at the time probably looks quaint to modern audiences, but the all-star cast is still great (Oscar nom'd Jeff Bridges is the stand out) and it's an engaging political drama.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I was the same with Fresh, I enjoyed, well if you can enjoy this sort of film !
I was not impressed with The Lodge. Maybe give it another go.
Yeah Fresh was "fun" to the extent this type of film can be. As for The Lodge, I honestly don't think it's worth a second shot - I thought it was ok but also could've watched it in a different mood or whatever and not liked it at all. I don't think it's worth the hassle, for me it was just ok.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Oh and we went to see The First Omen yesterday - obviously with the title I assumed it was related to the Omen films but I didn't know it was a direct prequel. While there are a few jump scares, the film takes more time to install the story and the scene which is quite enjoyable. I don't know how "necessary" it was to the Omen saga (I don't really remember much about the original film and I'm not sure I've seen any of the sequels) but it was a nice watch and the main actress, Nell Tiger Free, was excellent in the role of Margaret - one of the scenes seemed to be a direct nod to Possession, that I watched the other day, which was a bit of a surprise.

Oh also, Bill Nighy as a cardinal has to be one of the wildest casting choices ever - and I'm all for it. I was almost expecting him to quip "let Jesus into your heart baby" or something at any given moment.
Yeah I can’t imagine anyone watching and feeling good after. I felt pretty miserable but that’s why I loved it. Most horror films tend not to leave much of a horrible impression on me.

It’s genuinely uncomfortable to watch how the men in the film won’t leave Isabelle Adjani alone. The film pretty shows marriage as a form of torture for women.

It’s the second Żuławski film I’ve seen and I do sort of think his style is genius. Tbh I’m starting to now prefer the extremes of the camera almost never moving(Tsai Ming Liang)or the non stop movement of Żuławski. Although it’s really not for everyone or even most.

There’s also some interesting anti commie themes throughout Possession which I didn't get until see other reviews. It’s cool how Soviet Union ended up giving bunch directors who hated the system a ton of resources to make the best films ever.
Oh I totally get it and the constant harassment Adjani is subject to is distressing but well done. I think it was just slightly too bleak for me to come out of it beyond thinking "yeah, cool themes, well done, but nah" - like I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. The fact it's set in 1980s Berlin reinforces the bleakness too. The camera work exhausted me also. There was too much about it I didn't like to come away with a positive impression, I guess.

Didn't really get the anti commie side though!

pauldyson1uk

Oh and we went to see The First Omen yesterday - obviously with the title I assumed it was related to the Omen films but I didn't know it was a direct prequel. While there are a few jump scares, the film takes more time to install the story and the scene which is quite enjoyable. I don't know how "necessary" it was to the Omen saga (I don't really remember much about the original film and I'm not sure I've seen any of the sequels) but it was a nice watch and the main actress, Nell Tiger Free, was excellent in the role of Margaret - one of the scenes seemed to be a direct nod to Possession, that I watched the other day, which was a bit of a surprise.

Oh also, Bill Nighy as a cardinal has to be one of the wildest casting choices ever - and I'm all for it. I was almost expecting him to quip "let Jesus into your heart baby" or something at any given moment.

Oh I totally get it and the constant harassment Adjani is subject to is distressing but well done. I think it was just slightly too bleak for me to come out of it beyond thinking "yeah, cool themes, well done, but nah" - like I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. The fact it's set in 1980s Berlin reinforces the bleakness too. The camera work exhausted me also. There was too much about it I didn't like to come away with a positive impression, I guess.

Apparently it is a prequal to the 1976 film and from what I have read is set in 1971 not 1980's, but to be fair only reference to a date has been this from imdb.
Goofs
The fashion used by the supporting characters, as well as the extras in the film, do not belong to the early seventies, but to the middle of that decade. Additionally, the song "Daddy Cool" by the group Boney M. is heard in a scene. This song was released in 1976 and the film is set in 1971.

The originals, first 2 are good I though, the 3rd one is dreadful , San Neil's worst film, but it does finish the story off, even if it it shitty.

pauldyson1uk

The First Omen is a prequel to the 1976 horror classic The Omen. The movie follows Margaret Daino, an American woman sent to Rome, where she plans to begin her service to the church as a nun at an orphanage. However, strange occurrences lead Margaret to question her own faith as a sinister evil begins to insidiously invade her life. As she discovers more about a dark plot, it becomes clear that she is being used to bring evil incarnate into the world.

The First Omen is an impressive feature debut for Arkasha Stevenson, as she makes her voice known in the world of horror by reigniting this beloved franchise. The movie nearly earned an NC-17 rating due to the intense body horror, and, while it is R, they lean heavily into this subgenre of horror. Nell Tiger Free brings an impressively visceral performance as Margaret Daino leads an impressive cast in this new installment in The Omen universe.
The First Omen Director Explains The Horror Prequel's Connections To 1976's The Omen (screenrant.com)

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Apparently it is a prequal to the 1976 film and from what I have read is set in 1971 not 1980's, but to be fair only reference to a date has been this from imdb.
Goofs
The fashion used by the supporting characters, as well as the extras in the film, do not belong to the early seventies, but to the middle of that decade. Additionally, the song "Daddy Cool" by the group Boney M. is heard in a scene. This song was released in 1976 and the film is set in 1971.

The originals, first 2 are good I though, the 3rd one is dreadful , San Neil's worst film, but it does finish the story off, even if it it shitty.
Yep it becomes apparent throughout the film it's a prequel, and completely clear by the end. What I meant is I didn't know it was one before I started watching the film!

Loon

:lol:

Goofs

Patrick Troughton as a priest in the first film (with I suspect ties to the film you just saw) is a hoot.

Sam Neil is the best thing in the third, but it does have some gloriously demented scenes (the baby slayings), Jerry Goldsmith, and Neil's "TAKE HIM!"

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

All of the Omen films are pretty dodgy. After the first 2 so bad they were unmatchable.

Sweet Square

Hhmmm the premise of it appeals to me but Sweeney being in it does not. Hope she s not her usual same annoying and mediocre self in it
Tbh I haven’t seen her in anything else. She is sympathetic enough throughout the film and gets in the dirt when she has too. It’s nothing incredible but good enough Imo.

my favourite genre of film, horror/possession but its rare to find a decent one never mind a good one.
Reviews are good, trailer I have seen is decent.
Looking forward to seeing this.
I’ve got a low bar for horror film especially modern ones as the jump scares tend to give me a headache but Immaculate was a enjoyable watch.

I also saw it with someone who grew up in catholic Ireland and hates horror films. So seeing their reactions was a fun.

That’s fair enough. Tbh I don’t know if I would recommend it unless people want their day ruined.

Although I have to disagree on…..80’s empty and decaying Berlin as that my idea of paradise!

pauldyson1uk

Patrick Troughton as a priest in the first film (with I suspect ties to the film you just saw) is a hoot.

Sam Neil is the best thing in the third, but it does have some gloriously demented scenes (the baby slayings), Jerry Goldsmith, and Neil's "TAKE HIM!"
Yeah I would agree Sam is the best thing about the 3rd and I have watched it many times, but they could've done a much better jog with it.