Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Love Lies Bleeding

What a fantastic 21st century noir from an up and coming director Rose Glass and A24. I feel like there should be another name for how these directors are playing with old noir themes and tropes in new ways. Neo-noir started around the 70s so 50 years on I think they should have new name for the direction these newer noir are moving. Neon-noir is more about the visual aspects of Refn and others and this could, at a stretch, qualify for that name but it could be something new.

Anyway I loved this movie. The acting rivals any great noir. Kristen Stewart and Katy Obrian put in gritty, believable and compelling performances. Great supporting roles from Jena Malone and weirdo Anna Baryshnikov and Ed Harris is perfect for his role.

It's a masterclass in show don't tell and the dialogue nevers get expository like super hero films. Dialogue is fantastic and almost on par with Sexy Beast which is one of the best examples of using dialogue correctly in film history.

By flipping some tropes around, it brings out some great themes. This is a great feminist movie, it's a great commentary on the 80s and plays with crime and punishment themes. Also, obviously love. And it brings in a dash of magical realism that is also metaphor with a touch of body horror.

I can see this appealing to horror fans like @Dirty Schwein to fans of feminist movies to anyone that appreciates the last 50 years of neo-noir. Megan Abbot would love this movie since she is all three.

Between this and Dune in the last two weeks, I'm loving the quality of 2024 movies so far.
Yeah I've got this and Immaculate on my watchlist. Both in the cinemas but it's difficult for me to get to limited late showings. Will have to wait for stream release.

ChrisNelson

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

I don't get the criticism for this. It has some funny moments and a plot which they don't try to over complicate.

They also managed to keep it below 2 hours.

It won't win any Oscars because movies like this are more about having a bit of fun than making a movie for the ages, like Dune 2 for example which was the opposite (though I think overhyped).

My only negative against it would be that they overloaded the cast a bit. The original Ghostbusters didn't need so many people!

And I don't have anything against James Acaster but really, what was he doing in there?!

It's just a middle of the road 7/10, doesn't deserve the hate.

Jev

Love Lies Bleeding

What a fantastic 21st century noir from an up and coming director Rose Glass and A24. I feel like there should be another name for how these directors are playing with old noir themes and tropes in new ways. Neo-noir started around the 70s so 50 years on I think they should have new name for the direction these newer noir are moving. Neon-noir is more about the visual aspects of Refn and others and this could, at a stretch, qualify for that name but it could be something new.

Anyway I loved this movie. The acting rivals any great noir. Kristen Stewart and Katy Obrian put in gritty, believable and compelling performances. Great supporting roles from Jena Malone and weirdo Anna Baryshnikov and Ed Harris is perfect for his role.

It's a masterclass in show don't tell and the dialogue nevers get expository like super hero films. Dialogue is fantastic and almost on par with Sexy Beast which is one of the best examples of using dialogue correctly in film history.

By flipping some tropes around, it brings out some great themes. This is a great feminist movie, it's a great commentary on the 80s and plays with crime and punishment themes. Also, obviously love. And it brings in a dash of magical realism that is also metaphor with a touch of body horror.

I can see this appealing to horror fans like @Dirty Schwein to fans of feminist movies to anyone that appreciates the last 50 years of neo-noir. Megan Abbot would love this movie since she is all three.

Between this and Dune in the last two weeks, I'm loving the quality of 2024 movies so far.
This wasn’t on my radar but it sounds and looks interesting, thanks for the heads-up.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Love Lies Bleeding

This sounds cool! It's out in a few weeks in Spain, I'll have to check it out when it hits the theaters.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Speaking of @Dirty Schwein :saw 8mm yesterday by chance for the second time. Gets better every time. Classic for me by now and totally slept on it for many years.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah I really like this one (feels strange to say that).
It‘s very American in that you actually don‘t really see any kind of sexual acts yet a lot of graphical violence. Really like the grittiness of it.

Had already forgotten how many familar faces were featured next to Cage and Phoenix: Gandolfini, a very young Norman Reed (?, dude from Walking Dead)..and that port worker from The Wire as nothing less than „Machine“. Guess I missed some more too.

If I find the bluray I‘ll watch me some French Connection today.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It‘s very American in that you actually don‘t really see any kind of sexual acts yet a lot of graphical violence. Really like the grittiness of it.

Had already forgotten how many familar faces were featured next to Cage and Phoenix: Gandolfini, a very young Norman Reed (?, dude from Walking Dead)..and that port worker from The Wire as nothing less than „Machine“. Guess I missed some more too.

If I find the bluray I‘ll watch me some French Connection today.
Norman Reedus... He is a very, very strange man in real life.

redcucumber

Norman Reedus... He is a very, very strange man in real life.
In what way? He's definitely not the archetypal media friendly celeb in that he's obviously very introverted and shy, but he seems quite nice from what I've seen (his Criterion selection and clips from his show with Keanu Reeves).

CoopersDream

Love Lies Bleeding

Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
In what way? He's definitely not the archetypal media friendly celeb in that he's obviously very introverted and shy, but he seems quite nice from what I've seen (his Criterion selection and clips from his show with Keanu Reeves).
Well, we were filming an ad for The Walking Dead season 2 launch and then had to get some interviews with a few cast members.

He refused to do it unless he can do it topless for some reason :lol: and after the interview he just kept tensing his biceps and looking in a mirror :nervous:

He wasn't a dick or anything... Just very strange.

Jon Bernthal was so nice though. Very shy and self-depricating for some reason but overall, very pleasant and accommodating. And Lauren Cohan kept touching my jumper and saying how nice it was... I keep reminding my partner of this :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Well, we were filming an ad for The Walking Dead season 2 launch and then had to get some interviews with a few cast members.

He refused to do it unless he can do it topless for some reason :lol: and after the interview he just kept tensing his biceps and looking in a mirror :nervous:

Jon Bernthal was so nice though. Very shy and self-depricating for some reason but overall, very pleasant and accommodating. And Lauren Cohan kept touching my jumper and saying how nice it was... I keep reminding my partner of this :lol:
:lol:

And Bernthal being to go to badass being very shy fits. Love him as the Punisher.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular

Nice story. I also imagine you were playing WW meanwhile, going for long bathroom breaks every other moment. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nice story. I also imagine you were playing WW meanwhile, going for long bathroom breaks every other moment. :lol:
Everyone at work knows that I spend about 30-40 minutes in the toilet in the morning and afternoon. I don't even try hide it :lol:

I wanted to run a game soon but can't currently as I'm mega busy at work. One of those rare times.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Equaliser 3
Falls somewhere in between the decent first one and the terrible second. I have an issue with films that position the protagonist as untouchable and we don't see them having to overcome many obstacles. I genuinely don't know how this became a trilogy and why Denzel made these past the first one. It did have some good moments but not many 4.5/10

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Equaliser 3
Falls somewhere in between the decent first one and the terrible second. I have an issue with films that position the protagonist as untouchable and we don't see them having to overcome many obstacles. I genuinely don't know how this became a trilogy and why Denzel made these past the first one. It did have since good moments but not many 4.5/10
My co-worker saw it two days ago and was telling us how entertaining it was - didn‘t really believe her though.

Came into the office this morning all set to make her watch 8mm but she‘s been in vacances already.

Watched a bit of the old Equalizer series some years ago. Was ok but the format didn‘t really age well.

Oldyella

My co-worker saw it two days ago and was telling us how entertaining it was - didn‘t really believe her though.

Came into the office this morning all set to make her watch 8mm but she‘s been in vacances already.

Watched a bit of the old Equalizer series some years ago. Was ok but the format didn‘t really age well.
Banging theme tune though.

Loon

:lol:
Equaliser 3
Falls somewhere in between the decent first one and the terrible second. I have an issue with films that position the protagonist as untouchable and we don't see them having to overcome many obstacles. I genuinely don't know how this became a trilogy and why Denzel made these past the first one. It did have some good moments but not many 4.5/10
Constantly reminded me of Clooney's underrated THE AMERICAN.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Equaliser 3
Needs to be marked down for not being called Threequaliser.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Equaliser 3
I thought it was utterly crap. As you said, the guys untouchable. He's an OAP who walks around murdering countless people with barely a scratch and very few consequences. Just utterly brainless.

M15 Red.

Pignorant.

Documentary on Amazon Prime about the holocaust of the Suidae family. Some absolutely harrowing footage involved.

Bacon, though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I thought it was utterly crap. As you said, the guys untouchable. He's an OAP who walks around murdering countless people with barely a scratch and very few consequences. Just utterly brainless.
Agreed. I had the exact same issue with Beekeeper (amongst other things). That's why I love Indiana Jones and John Wick... The heroes in those films are constantly one touch away from death and barely survive whereas films like Equalizer feel like playing a game with infinite health cheat on.

Redstain

Agreed. I had the exact same issue with Beekeeper (amongst other things). That's why I love Indiana Jones and John Wick... The heroes in those films are constantly one touch away from death and barely survive whereas films like Equalizer feel like playing a game with infinite health cheat on.
I agree but the last John Wick took a similar direction to the said criticisms mentioned.

Redstain

I enjoyed the environment but think the film lacked in the gravity in the plot, very neighborhood hero meets local villain schematic and not much depth outside of that context. This was the film he was most vulnerable in spending much of the movies inception recovering from a GSW which if anything was elongated more than necessary.

Tarrou

Alien 1979

Everything has pretty been said about this film already but still it really is perfect.

10/10
Yeah it's definitely in my all time top 3 I'd say. Probably watched it more than any other film.

What I find funny is it was made in 1979 yet somehow feels way less dated than Prometheus already. Probably all the dumb CGI and sound engineering from that era, and well, because of how shite it was too I guess.

Sweet Square

What I find funny is it was made in 1979 yet somehow feels way less dated than Prometheus already. Probably all the dumb CGI and sound engineering from that era, and well, because of how shite it was too I guess.
I think a big reason why 70’s & 80’s sci fi look less dated is everyone in that era thought the future would be analogue and industrial. The workers ship in Alien is full of a million different big chunky buttons which looks great on film. Where as Prometheus it’s digital weightless interfaces/holograms.

redcucumber

Hahaha!! That is very weird. Sounds like a cool as shit job, though. Good on ya!