Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dune: Part 2
I think I enjoyed this more than the first one. It got into the story quicker, felt like it had a lot more action and also appeared to be a complete movie whilst setting up for the finale rather than ending on a cliff hanger. Looking forward to the third one 7.5/10

Baghead

A girl inherits her deceased fathers pub and finds a shapeshifting creature locked in the basement who can become any dead person for a few minutes and give people closure, but doing so also leads to horrific consequences. Basically the dumb and unoriginal version of Talk To Me. Not much to enjoy here, scare-less, clichéd, boring and bad acting. I did like the look of the location but it was completely wasted 2/10

Imaginary

A woman moves back to her childhood home and this awakens her old imaginary friend who has sinister motivations. A straight forward horror movie that was actually better than it had any right to be. A few good scares and tried to up the ante in the final act despite a relatively low budget, shame that the acting was so poor. It's not a game changer by any means but I've definitely seen worse... Like Baghead. Short and to the point, it was ok 5.5/10

pauldyson1uk

I decided to watch the Monsterverse films. I was never a huge fan f the old ones, but thought why not.

Godzilla (2014)
It was OK , Bryan Cranston being in it sold it to be , but he did not last long, saw very little Godzilla, the CGI and fights were excellent.
Acting was OK.
6/10

King Kong Skull Island

Slightly better than Godzilla, a decent into to Kong.
The acting was decent, Samual L Jackson, gt what he deserved and I liked the reunion during the end credits.
The story was I thought a simple one, but done well enough.
Acting was decent, liked John C Reilly and Tom Hiddlestone
The music was excellent
7/10

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Better than the first one, the CGI and fights again were top notch , who does not like death and destruction on a massive scale.
Charles Dance was a decent villain, Vera Farmiga was pretty meh, liked Kyle Chandler and Millie Bobby Brown
Good monsters, excellent fights but on the whole boring humans sums this film up, but a decent watch.
7.5/10

Godzilla v Kong

This is the one we really wanted.
Fighting, CGI , destruction on a mass scale Kong and Godzilla getting it on and then both of them defeating the metal Godzilla, 10/10 all day long
Acting was decent , with Millie Bobby Brown being the stand out for me
The plot was the massive letdown, it was batshit crazy.
This is a mindless, plotless action flick with great action and effects but not much else. The plot is mundane, ridiculous and predictable. Much of it didn't even make any sense.
better than the first one, but only just.
6.5/10

Overall I enjoyed all 4 and yeah I would watch them again, they all did exactly what they set out to do.
4 films average score .
6.75/10

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Transformers: Rise Of The Beasts

I was not expecting much TBH, but I enjoyed it, there was some WTF moments and the pretend Iron Man was just nuts, love the They Live quote, overall is did exactly what you would expect from a Transformers film.
The action was good the fights were good.
I did not love it, but did not hate it.
The GI Joe connection at the end interested me, I have not seen them, I may give them a go

6/10

pauldyson1uk

The Serpent and the Rainbow

An anthropologist goes to Haiti after hearing rumors about a drug used by black magic practitioners to turn people into zombies.
Apparently based on a true story. https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/wild-true-story-the-serpent-and-the-rainbow/
I dont normally do zombie films , but this was not just a zombie film, Putman was I thought excellent.

8/10

pauldyson1uk

The Artifice Girl

A team of special agents discovers a revolutionary new computer program to bait and trap online predators. After teaming up with the program's troubled developer, they soon find that the AI is rapidly advancing beyond its original purpose
Interesting film, well worth watching.

8/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just watched The Terminator for the first time in many years.
It still holds up as a brilliant film and a classic, as I knew it would. The future scenes looked crummy and low budget back then too, but it doesn't matter.

Also I watched it on AMC and the frequency of the ads doesn't help the atmos. And they're fine with the violence, but edited out the f words plus the glimpse of Sarah Connor's boobs.

pauldyson1uk

The Outfit

An expert cutter must outwit a dangerous group of mobsters in order to survive a fateful night.
What a brillant film, well acted well written, just an around excellent film.
Mark Rylance and Zoey Deutch both very good.
100% worth watching.

9/10

CoopersDream

The Outfit

An expert cutter must outwit a dangerous group of mobsters in order to survive a fateful night.
What a brillant film, well acted well written, just an around excellent film.
Mark Rylance and Zoey Deutch both very good.
100% worth watching.

9/10
Yeah, liked this a great deal as well. Very well written, and great acting.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I decided to watch the Monsterverse films. I was never a huge fan f the old ones, but thought why not.

Godzilla (2014)
It was OK , Bryan Cranston being in it sold it to be , but he did not last long, saw very little Godzilla, the CGI and fights were excellent.
Acting was OK.
6/10

King Kong Skull Island

The acting was decent, Samual L Jackson, gt what he deserved and I liked the reunion during the end credits.
The music was excellent
7/10

Better than the first one, the CGI and fights again were top notch , who does not like death and destruction on a massive scale.
Charles Dance was a decent villain, Vera Farmiga was pretty meh, liked Kyle Chandler and Millie Bobby Brown
Good monsters, excellent fights but on the whole boring humans sums this film up, but a decent watch.
7.5/10

Godzilla v Kong

Fighting, CGI , destruction on a mass scale Kong and Godzilla getting it on and then both of them defeating the metal Godzilla, 10/10 all day long
This is a mindless, plotless action flick with great action and effects but not much else. The plot is mundane, ridiculous and predictable. Much of it didn't even make any sense.
6.5/10

Overall I enjoyed all 4 and yeah I would watch them again, they all did exactly what they set out to do.
4 films average score .
6.75/10
*Shaking my head*. Have a hard time deciding whether it's her or Sydney Sweeney who currently takes the cake for me for most overrated actors with leading roles. ...

On second thought having just watched "Anyone but You" it's def Sweeney. She should be on the Hallmark channel at best.

pauldyson1uk

The Tutor

A tutor is being assigned an unexpected task at a mansion and finds himself struggling with the obsessions of his student, who threatens to expose his darkest secrets.
Pretty bad, in all ways ending was very predictable.

3/10

Andy_Cole

Godzilla (2014)
Acting was OK.
6/10

King Kong Skull Island

The music was excellent
7/10

7.5/10

Godzilla v Kong

6.5/10

4 films average score .
6.75/10
Godzilla 7/10
Godzilla king of the monsters 8/10
Kong skull island 8.5/10
Godzilla vs Kong 10/10
Godzilla X Kong 9/10

Monsterverse has been great. Just come back and from the latest one and me and my 6 year old were high fiving through out. Shame we could see Godzilla vs Kong in the cinema as it was Covid. A special set of movies for us. So much fun.

As a collection it’s 9/10.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
@pauldyson1uk is like the cafs own version of IMDB. Dude must wake up and put a film straight on every day and then just continue throughout the day till his 3 hours of sleep then repeats the process.

Glorio

Sooo .... Watched The Beekeeper and just enjoyed the complete utterly stupid wild violent fun! I know it's incredibly silly, but just couldn't resist the ridiculous spectacle of ONE angry retiree tearing through all of the USA's defence systems, including armies of highly trained professionals, with high level officials quaking in their boots like it's expected. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw US Marshalls again, the 1998 action thriller with Tommy Lee Jones (reprising his character from The Fugitive) and Wesley Snipes. It's pretty alright, and I likes these 90s action thrillers. It probably helps that I grew up with them! The downside of this one is the succession of locations. There appears to be no unity or logic to them. 'Oh, we're at a cemetery now.' 'Ah, another apartment block scene.' 'Now we're on a boat.' In a way, that randomness is always there, but other films do a better job at making you think 'of course we're on a boat now, this feels natural'. Anyway, good fun, but not a patch on The fugitive. 3/5

CoopersDream

Just watched Sucker Punch and it's just bloody terrible. I can't come up with a director which favors style over substance more than Snyder, but here he really takes that to the next level. It plays like a 100 minute music video. It's clear that he's a talented visual director, but he can't write or tell a story for sh!t. The story is a big bag of nothing, and multiple layers of said nothing. I guess it's nice to look at sometimes, and the first video game scene is neat to the sounds of Army of Me. Otherwise it's just nothing. It's really nothing. 2.5/10

Tarrou

@pauldyson1uk is like the cafs own version of IMDB. Dude must wake up and put a film straight on every day and then just continue throughout the day till his 3 hours of sleep then repeats the process.
6 to 6.5 is my pauldy sweet-spot on IMDB, anything higher and I get a bit less excited to watch (but still watch)

Wing Attack Plan R

Just watched Sucker Punch and it's just bloody terrible. I can't come up with a director which favors style over substance more than Snyder, but here he really takes that to the next level. It plays like a 100 minute music video. It's clear that he's a talented visual director, but he can't write or tell a story for sh!t. The story is a big bag of nothing, and multiple layers of said nothing. I guess it's nice to look at sometimes, and the first video game scene is neat to the sounds of Army of Me. Otherwise it's just nothing. It's really nothing. 2.5/10
Bang on. 2.5 is being generous.

dazjoe

Chef (2014)

Seen this a couple of time already and watched it again this weekend.
I love it, it's a modern classic for me. Can't recommend it enough.
9.5/10

Also watched The Menu (2022) for the 2nd time, no doubt it's an odd movie but another I have a lot of love for, well acted and parodies the pretentious food culture really well, with a lot of humour.
8/10

Gave Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) a go for the first time; good laugh. Holds up well despite being 35 years old, Michael Caine basically plays Michael Caine and Steve Martin basically plays Steve Martin, nice easy watch.
7/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Gave Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) a go for the first time; good laugh. Holds up well despite being 35 years old, Michael Caine basically plays Michael Caine and Steve Martin basically plays Steve Martin, nice easy watch.
7/10
Two class acts, and they worked well together. They should have done more films together. This version is far superior to the original. In the original, the heiress is not trying to run a con in them, she’s just a fake heiress naïf. I love the line when Steve Martin is locked up for having an affair.
Steve: “Come on, you understand having an affair, you’re French.”
Guard: “Having an affair is French. Getting caught is American.”
And who can forget Ruprect the Monkey Boy?!

Last edited:

kclord

Saw Past Lives tonight and I really enjoyed it. A quiet, subtle love story. Made me want to go back to New York too. 4/5

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Chef (2014)

Seen this a couple of time already and watched it again this weekend.
I love it, it's a modern classic for me. Can't recommend it enough.
9.5/10

Also watched The Menu (2022) for the 2nd time, no doubt it's an odd movie but another I have a lot of love for, well acted and parodies the pretentious food culture really well, with a lot of humour.
8/10

7/10
That's a cracking triple bill. I adore Chef

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
*Shaking my head*. Have a hard time deciding whether it's her or Sydney Sweeney who currently takes the cake for me for most overrated actors with leading roles. ...

On second thought having just watched "Anyone but You" it's def Sweeney. She should be on the Hallmark channel at best.
I dunno, I can see some potential in Sweeney :nervous:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Watched a bunch of horror movies on flights to and from holidays. Here they are in order of best to worst

Talk To Me (Netflix) Aussie possession movie - some really gruesome and disturbing scenes.
8/10

Haunt (Netflix) Slasher set in an escape room haunted house - lots of gore
7/10

The Harbinger (SKY) set during lockdown, pretty good and interesting premise
7/10

Thanksgiving (Netflix) Fairly by the numbers slasher and some of the cast are not great but a couple of inventive kills help it stay semi memorable
5.5/10

Dashcam (SKY) found footage movie set during COVID with potential - ruined by a rotten main character
4/10

also watched 1 non horror movie -

Greyhound (Apple) Tom Hanks WW2 about crossing the Atlantic. It was ok
6/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dashcam (SKY) found footage movie set during COVID with potential - ruined by a rotten main character
4/10
This is a fantastic movie that I would really love to recommend to people but can't because the main character is a grade a cnut and completely ruins the film. From what I read afterwards, she is also exactly like the character in real life (I think). Ruins what could have been a true gem in the found footage sub-genre.

Iron Claw
Gritty true story and one that's heart-breaking. Really well directed and definitely put Zac Effron in the category of good actors and not just a guy that gets by on his looks and decent performances in occasional comedic roles (like Bad Neighbours), he was excellent in this. I would have scored it higher if it stuck closer to the real story and didn't leave out one of the brothers. The guy playing Ric Flair was also atrocious 7.5/10

Argyll

Think Matthew Vaughn is starting to lose it whilst his old buddy Guy Ritchie is getting better as a filmmaker. This was a tonal mess and the cgi fight scenes were daft and weight-less. Shame as it had a fantastic cast, including Henry Cavill, John Cena, Bryce Howard Dallas, Bryan Cranston and the always amazing Sam Rockwell. Despite all that I jus tsaid, there is fun to be had here and when the film just lets loose with the sillyness, it does have some really good moments. I especially liked the colorful shootout towards the end of the film 5.5/10

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Argyll
Think Matthew Vaughn is starting to lose it whilst his old buddy Guy Ritchie is getting better as a filmmaker. This was a tonal mess and the cgi fight scenes were daft and weight-less. Shame as it had a fantastic cast, including Henry Cavill, John Cena, Bryce Howard Dallas, Bryan Cranston and the always amazing Sam Rockwell. Despite all that I jus tsaid, there is fun to be had here and when the film just lets loose with the sillyness, it does have some really good moments. I especially liked the colorful shootout towards the end of the film 5.5/10
Just had a quick nosey at this on Wikipedia. $200m budget... :eek:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

CoopersDream

Is it though? It's a very ugly film.
I mean, I don't necessarily like how it looks either, but he's clearly got his own style which to me at least means something in that regard. The same goes for Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and his DCEU movies. A shame most of them are turds.

Wing Attack Plan R

Just watched Sucker Punch and it's just bloody terrible. I can't come up with a director which favors style over substance more than Snyder, but here he really takes that to the next level. It plays like a 100 minute music video. It's clear that he's a talented visual director, but he can't write or tell a story for sh!t.
It sounds extraordinary. If film execs are not on board, count me in.

Is it though? It's a very ugly film.
I think he is more of a VFX creator than a director. Snyder can compose a shot that looks good in isolation, but when it comes to stringing images together to tell a story, he's totally fecking inept.