Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cedric

Back in the newbies for reeducation
I just tried watching Django Unchained and couldn't make it through. Tarantino was way too far up his own ass at that movie. Having Christoph Waltz play exactly the same role as in Basterds and saying "nigger" a lot is just not enough to carry a movie, plus the soundtrack is tedious.

Woodzy

I watched Se7en for the first time tonight. The film itself is brilliant but I was completely underwhelmed by the 'twist' that gets hyped up so much.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I watched Se7en for the first time tonight. The film itself is brilliant but I was completely underwhelmed by the 'twist' that gets hyped up so much.
Did you know about it beforehand? The thing is obviously if you've heard about it over and over again, or even just heard that "the twist is amazing omfg" or whatever, you're bound to be underwhelmed. I just think it's a good ending rather than a twist that fits in well with the whole scenario.

I really love that film, one of my all-time favourites.

Snakes on a Plane is the best plane-movie, even though I love the Airplanes!

Woodzy

Did you know about it beforehand? The thing is obviously if you've heard about it over and over again, or even just heard that "the twist is amazing omfg" or whatever, you're bound to be underwhelmed. I just think it's a good ending rather than a twist that fits in well with the whole scenario.

I really love that film, one of my all-time favourites.

Snakes on a Plane is the best plane-movie, even though I love the Airplanes!
I knew there was a twist yeh, which obviously softens the impact. The thing is, from the moment the van turned out to be a delivery van, the rest became predictable. It was very well done though.

RORY65

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
It's certainly an improvement on the first one, it's nowhere near as tedious, moves on at a much sharper pace and it didn't look as weird, I also think Freeman is better in this film while Cumberbatch is typically excellent (the dragon does look like him at times and his voice is great). However, it's still disappointing compared to the Lord of the Rings films. It's much grottier to look at, there's very little acting going on and it's still ridiculously long. While some of the individual set pieces are quite arresting, they don't quite work together and the ending is utter nonsense. To spend 3 hours in the cinema and then to end on some really half-arsed cliffhanger is rubbish.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
It's certainly an improvement on the first one, it's nowhere near as tedious, moves on at a much sharper pace and it didn't look as weird, I also think Freeman is better in this film while Cumberbatch is typically excellent (the dragon does look like him at times and his voice is great). However, it's still disappointing compared to the Lord of the Rings films. It's much grottier to look at, there's very little acting going on and it's still ridiculously long. While some of the individual set pieces are quite arresting, they don't quite work together and the ending is utter nonsense. To spend 3 hours in the cinema and then to end on some really half-arsed cliffhanger is rubbish.

Isn't that the danger with every movie that is the second part of a trilogy?

RORY65

Isn't that the danger with every movie that is the second part of a trilogy?
Of course but it felt particularly clumsy and disappointing in this instance. It didn't end with a shocking revelation or a moment of drama, it essentially left anything of consequence for the final film.

Jippy

Staff
Of course but it felt particularly clumsy and disappointing in this instance. It didn't end with a shocking revelation or a moment of drama, it essentially left anything of consequence for the final film.

I thought the first LOTR felt a bit like that- when they reached the water's edge. I wasn't a huge fan of the first Hobbit film- I know everyone says it was scene-setting but if the second is more or less the same (albeit seemingly with more action), even if the third one is great, it doesn't sound like it needed to be a trilogy.

RORY65

I thought the first LOTR felt a bit like that- when they reached the water's edge. I wasn't a huge fan of the first Hobbit film- I know everyone says it was scene-setting but if the second is more or less the same (albeit seemingly with more action), even if the third one is great, it doesn't sound like it needed to be a trilogy.
I found the first Hobbit really dull given how long it went on, this one is a clear improvement but still deeply flawed. I don't think it needed to be a trilogy but Jackson clearly loves spending time in that world while I'm sure the finances meant a trilogy made sense.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Frozen: 5.5/10

A good movie, but overrated. Decent, though the musicals do tend to get on your nerves early in the movie (I despise the troll song). Not much of a story arc and plot is weak. The animations are OK, but definitely not in the top shelf of animation films.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Congress - An interesting but pretty messy part live action, part animated sci-fi starring Robin Wright as Robin Wright. Original and bonkers as feck with some mesmerizing sequences but so many things went unexplained and it felt like there were too many ideas with not enough room for them. Decent watch though.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology - Philosopher and psychoanalyst Slavoj Zizek muses on cinema and how films convey ideology. Rich, engaging and stimulating, it's a better effort than his earlier The Pervert's Guide to Cinema,

Andrew~

Bad Milo - one of the best awful films I've seen in a while. If you're looking for something light to watch with friends, I'd say this. 1/10.

Prophet_of_Doom

Finally got round to watching Flight and after all the raves and plaudits actually found it quite disappointing. I think without Denzel it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as much of a success. Just a bit of an odd film I thought. One minute gritty and realistic, the next minute drug scenes and cardboard cut-out characters like something out of a cheap TV movie. John Goodman seemed like he was in a Coen movie (in fact quite a few elements seemed quite oddball and Coenesque). And the religious themes were painfully heavy-handed. They might as well have just gone all out and cast Nic Cage in the lead! 6.5/10

Jippy

Staff
That film is fecking shite. Anyone who has not seen it, watch paint dry, stare blankly into space or basically do anything with those two hours you were considering investing that film.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Prisoners

Just wow....breathtaking. This the closest we will probably get to the Seven.

Movie of the year, absolutely.

Ivor Ballokov

Prince Avalanche - David Gordon Green's film about two road maintenance workers tasked with painting the lines on a road in an area recently ravaged by wildfire. played by Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch. It seems to have been billed as a comedy but it's actually quite slow, understated and dramatic, with a few funny parts too, typical indie fair I suppose. The two leads are surprisingly good and I enjoyed the pace which certainly won't be for everyone. At 93 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome and the ethereal nature allows for some nice cinematography and leaves a lasting impression and some intriguing questions.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

surf

The Armstrong Lie

Even if you aren't interested in cycling, it's a compelling film. What makes Armstrong unique is how high he rose and how hard he fell, and this long (135 minutes) documentary brings out both phases. I'm amazed that he was so candid in interviews about the drugs and everything else that went on. 9/10.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Prince Avalanche - David Gordon Green's film about two road maintenance workers tasked with painting the lines on a road in an area recently ravaged by wildfire. played by Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch. It seems to have been billed as a comedy but it's actually quite slow, understated and dramatic, with a few funny parts too, typical indie fair I suppose. The two leads are surprisingly good and I enjoyed the pace which certainly won't be for everyone. At 93 minutes it doesn't overstay its welcome and the ethereal nature allows for some nice cinematography and leaves a lasting impression and some intriguing questions.
I'd agree with all that except the last bit. I've pretty much forgotten the plot/all key dialogue already. I'd also add the ghost bit is left terribly unexplained.

pauldyson1uk

Dont Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

It was decent enough, but for a horror very little in the way of horror, the monster were just not that scary.
Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce were OK , nothing special, Bailee Madison who played Sally was excellent.
I was expecting a better film from Guillermo del Toro.
There was a few massive plot hole and the end was predictable.
I think I will watch the 1970's original, see if it is better.

4/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It wasn't directed by Del Toro though, he produced it and helped a bit with the script. During the summer, he gave a big interview to a French magazine where he explained that over the last 6 or 7 years, he'd appeared as producer on loaaaaads of films, but his implication in most of them was minimal: he usually heard of a project/script/director in the very early days, met the director, gave a bit of a hand and then basically put his name on the project so that it would be made, it's obviously a big help for the young filmmakers to have Del Toro's name attached. But most of the time, it only meant giving a few pointers in the early days and letting them get on with it, in the interview he was quite candid about the fact that quite a few of the films that had his name attached to them were mediocre, but he was still glad he could help out some young directors.

I don't know how involved Del Toro was for Don't be afraid of the dark though.

pauldyson1uk

I did not know that, I thought it was one of his films, he is credited has one of the producers, that's why I was expecting more from it.
It was Troy Nixey's first outing has a director, for a first film it was pretty good.