Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

caid

They swapped director for the second didn't they? Denis Villeneuve is a hard act to follow atm

Castia

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Great movie. The animations are amazing and the story is probably one of the better ones so far from Marvel (or DC for that matter). I loved it.

8.5/10

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Capernaum: was nominated for best foreign movie at the oscars. Not the easiest watch, but a superb movie nonetheless.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Suspiria (the 2018 remake) was excellent I thought. Just the right amounts of fecked up, impressive imagery and all round spot on performances. It's nice to see that the horror genre can lead to such beautifully crafted films rather to the run of the mill crap that is usually the norm (and I say this as a huge horror genre enthusiast).

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Spideyverse was very good indeed. It's got rhythm, it's got music, well shot action scenes, character and ideas, wit, charm and integrity. Real dexterity to the writing too, with the ability to blend sincerity, thrills and downright silliness.

The animation is stunning. It looks like CG but it moves like hand drawn and I suspect they're doing something quite crafty at the frame to frame level. I can't believe Sony have the team to draw 2 hours worth of this stuff.

Would I go so far as to say that it makes it into the 17 Best Superhero Action Comic Book Films Ever Made list?

1. Mystery Men
2. Spider Man 2
3. Chronicle
4. Kick Ass
5. Hellboy
6. Dredd
7. Unbreakable
8. Spideyverse
9. Darkman
10. Deadpool 2
11. Blade
12. Batman Begins
13. The Incredibles 2
14. Hellboy 2
15. Super
16. Howard the Duck
17. Batman Returns

Yes, yes I would.

Also we call Spidyverse a superhero film because it has respects for the art of filmmaking. That other lot, who's name shall no longer be spoken, make movies.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has anyone not liked that Spiderman film? It seems to have literally got unanimous praise.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Zombeavers (2014)

I just knew this would be good when I saw their punch line "you'll all be dammed!", and boy did it deliver.

Just non-stop fun, tits, gore, better than expected effects and that whole campy feel only a good B-movie can give you.

8/10

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Spideyverse was very good indeed. It's got rhythm, it's got music, well shot action scenes, character and ideas, wit, charm and integrity. Real dexterity to the writing too, with the ability to blend sincerity, thrills and downright silliness.

The animation is stunning. It looks like CG but it moves like hand drawn and I suspect they're doing something quite crafty at the frame to frame level. I can't believe Sony have the team to draw 2 hours worth of this stuff.

Would I go so far as to say that it makes it into the 17 Best Superhero Action Comic Book Films Ever Made list?

1. Mystery Men
2. Spider Man 2
3. Chronicle
4. Kick Ass
5. Hellboy
6. Dredd
7. Unbreakable
8. Spideyverse
9. Darkman
10. Deadpool 2
11. Blade
12. Batman Begins
13. The Incredibles 2
14. Hellboy 2
15. Super
16. Howard the Duck
17. Batman Returns

Yes, yes I would.

Also we call Spidyverse a superhero film because it has respects for the art of filmmaking. That other lot, who's name shall no longer be spoken, make movies.
I haven't seen Mystery Men! Should check it out. And I think I preferred Hellboy 2 to the first one, I felt Del Toro went further into letting his imagination run wild (and I thought there were some superb scenes in it). And you prefer Begins to Dark Knight?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Yeah I agree. I'll have to see it again (with subs for the German parts :lol:) cos it really made a strong impression.
@Archie Leach and @dumbo can probably attest to that the German speaking parts are no big miss.

You should def check out Guadagnino's other films, reckon you'll enjoy his sensibilities.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I haven't seen Mystery Men! Should check it out. And I think I preferred Hellboy 2 to the first one, I felt Del Toro went further into letting his imagination run wild (and I thought there were some superb scenes in it). And you prefer Begins to Dark Knight?
I do actually but not enough to care. The list is more ad hoc bitterness against the Mc Universe and it's contempt for filmmaking than something I thought too much about. But Mystery Men is excellent and has a level of commitment to design that is increasingly rare in the superhero genre. Which is why Spideyverse fired me up, because why shouldn't all these studios, given the money they spend, have pride in their work?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Deep Cover - For some reason I've always presumed this to be a generic cops and robbers flick but to my surprise it was a actually a taut political thriller, an angry and blunt as hell deconstruction of the war on drugs. Very surprised that a major studio ever released this. The lead performances were excellent, Laurence Fishbourne as the weary noir protagonist and Jeff Goldblum who seemingly winged it as a power horny yuppie lawyer. Some small subplots were a little awkward but didn't hobble the movie too much.

Also, this rolling over the credits was one hell of a flex.

ChrisNelson

Final Score

This is the movie that would be created if Die Hard and Sudden Death had a baby.

To be fair, Sudden Death with JCVD is one of my favourite action films and the plot of Final Score drew me in with its similarities.

It's all good fun though it wouldn't get near my top 10 action films as that's by far my favourite genre.

The acting is ok if not spectacular, the plotline easy enough to follow but it's no more far fetched than any other movie of its type - think Air Force One as well where they are seeking the release of their Russian comrade.

I'd give this a solid 7/10 but no more.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Deep Cover - For some reason I've always presumed this to be a generic cops and robbers flick but to my surprise it was a actually a taut political thriller, an angry and blunt as hell deconstruction of the war on drugs. Very surprised that a major studio ever released this. The lead performances were excellent, Laurence Fishbourne as the weary noir protagonist and Jeff Goldblum who seemingly winged it as a power horny yuppie lawyer. Some small subplots were a little awkward but didn't hobble the movie too much.

This looks good, had never heard of it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

I actually watched a few weeks ago. It was a good crime flick and surprisingly serious too. Some excellent social commentary.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
@Archie Leach and @dumbo can probably attest to that the German speaking parts are no big miss.

You should def check out Guadagnino's other films, reckon you'll enjoy his sensibilities.
As far as I remember it was all subbed.

And yeah @Rooney in Paris while Guadagnino occasionally strays beyond his rewatch, he’s probably cinemas premier sensualist.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
As far as I remember it was all subbed.

And yeah @Rooney in Paris while Guadagnino occasionally strays beyond his rewatch, he’s probably cinemas premier sensualist.
RIP was probably too lazy to make the effort to find subtitles.
The copy I had didn't and all sub files I found only had the English track. Stop e-bullying me.

Which of his films should I start with? I've seen Call me by your name.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Great movie. The animations are amazing and the story is probably one of the better ones so far from Marvel (or DC for that matter). I loved it.

8.5/10
Watched this the other night and agree. Really enjoyed it and loved the art style.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Aliens
A near-perfect classic 9.5/10

The Incredible Hulk

Had this on in the background and thought it was actually not bad this time round. But I'm confused. Robert Downey comes in at the end as Tony Stark... so is this technically a part of the MCU? Anyways, thought this was decent in places 6.5/10

GBBQ

The Incredible Hulk

Had this on in the background and thought it was actually not bad this time round. But I'm confused. Robert Downey comes in at the end as Tony Stark... so is this technically a part of the MCU? Anyways, thought this was decent in places 6.5/10
It is, general Ross (Liv Tyler's dad) returns in Captain America Civil War as well. I think its so early in the MCU (maybe second movie overall) that they didn't have as many nods and winks to other movies and the post credit scene was the only real connection.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Norton fits as Bruce Banner, and I liked the almost complete lack of annoying one liners and humour attempts.

One of the better MCU flicks probably.

Watched this the other night and agree. Really enjoyed it and loved the art style.
Its a gorgeous looking film.The story is fun and a lovely amount of character depth,more with Miles and Peter's relationship.

So glad it won a Oscar.Must be said though I felt Andersons' Isle Of Dogs was a abit of a disappointment,especially in-comparison to his previous Animation effort with Fantastic Mr Fox.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Award season torrent round up:

Can You Ever Forgive Me - Gentle middling indie where Richard E turns up in AIDS-face for the last 5 minutes to guarantee award noms. Little story. Lots of deep browns and award bait wigs. - 6/10

Widows - Kinda good, but also co-written by the Gone Girl writer, so inexplicably turns into Gone Girl after an hour, and then realises way too late that Daniel Kuluya is stealing the film, so tries to give him a big send off, and fudges it. Also it starts with Liam Neeson violently kissing Viola Davis in such a distressing way that it deserved some kind of prior-warning - 7/10.

Green Book - It’d be almost fine if it hadn’t won so many awards. That it did, makes it retroactively bad by association. There’s a scene where the white guy teaches the black guy about Jazz and Fried Chicken...No Hollywood... No. - 6/10.

The Old Man and The Gun - Robert Redford walks off into the cinematic sunset with a plotless film and mostly his own hair. 6/10

The Favourite - Really good, apart from the weird fisheye bits, and the nonsense dissolve ending. 8/10

Bohemian Rhapsody - Bad. A film about Freddie Mercury with less gay sex than a film about Queen Anne. Also, Bad. - 3/10

Blackkklansman - Pretty good. Denzel Jr was a bit dry and the music seemed to have been piped in from another film, but easily the best film about race out of it, the cartoon one, and the kinda racist one. - 8/10

Oscar film torrent round up:

Can You Ever Forgive Me - gentle middling indie where Richard E turns up in AIDS-face for the last 5 minutes to guarantee award noms. Lots of browns and award bait wigs - 6/10

Widows - Kinda good, but also co-written by the Gone Girl writer, so inexplicably turns into Gone Girl after an hour, and then realises way too late that Daniel Kuluya is stealing the film, so tries to give him a big send off, and fudges it. Also it starts with Liam Neeson violently kissing Viola Davis in such a distressing way that it deserved some kind of prior-warning

Green Book - It’d be almost fine if it hadn’t won so many awards. That it did, makes it retroactively bad by association. There’s a scene where the white guy teaches the black guy about Jazz and Fried Chicken...No Hollywood... No.

The Old Man and The Gun - Robert Redford walks off into the cinematic sunset with a plotless film and mostly his own hair.

The Favourite - Really good, apart from the weird fisheye bits, and the nonsense dissolve ending.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Bad. A film about Freddie Mercury with less gay sex than a film about Queen Anne. Also, Bad.

Blackkklansman - Pretty good. Denzel Jr was a bit dry and the music seemed to have been piped in from another film, but easily the best film about race out of it, the cartoon one, and the kinda racist one.
Yes :lol:
I was like 'what...what the heck is he doing.He's trying eat her face off !'

The Old Man and The Gun reminded me too much of Cool Hand Luke. Not in a bad way.More like 'this is almost the same film but with a a different skin'.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yes :lol:
I was like 'what...what the heck is he doing.He's trying eat her face off !'
Literally everyone in the room said exactly the same thing... after a good 30 seconds of “arrrghhh, urrrgggh, nooo!” noises. I don’t think anyone took in any of the plot for a good 10 minutes afterward.

The Old Man and The Gun
reminded me too much of Cool Hand Luke. Not in a bad way.More like 'this is almost the same film but with a a different skin'.
It makes a lot more sense when you realise Redford deliberately made it as his last film. There’s literally a loving monatage of his character’s life that includes clips of him in earlier films! It’s nice... but kinda tame. The only takeaway is he looks pretty good for 80. And Sissy Spacek is missing half a nose.