The relative strength of the Premier League

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sorry if I bump the thread but the last 4 european games played finished:

- Legia Warsaw 3 v 2 Aston Villa
- Brighton 2 v 3 AEK
- Manchester United 2 v 3 Galatarasay
- Lens 2 v 1 Arsenal

4 bad losses against, on paper, much weaker sides. Is it the beginning of something worrying? Newcastle and Manchester City tomorrow against two plastic clubs as PSG and RB Leipzig will tell us more, let's see what happerns..
I find Villa most embarrassing of all. You play entire year of league football aiming to finish top 6 and get into Europe only to then completely neglect Europe and field your B team.

Theonas

Scout
and if you go back 8 years we have 3 Spanish finalists and multiple winners. its more neck and neck I'd say plus Spurs and Chelsea were a fluke. not gonna make a final again. Its basically City and Liverpool. the rest of our league aint on much
And fair enough back then, La Liga was also top quality. The PL's quality was relatively average from when Cristiano Ronaldo left until around 2017 or 2018. The money in the league plus the influx of best in class coaches and Messi and CR's powers waning in Spain meant the PL is at the top of the pyramid over the past 5 years or so. The problem with the PL is that it has the loudest fans and sometimes these fans mistake this superiority for completely dismissing other leagues which leads to a lot of resentment and overreaction from contrarians. The PL boasted the highest quality in the world in the late '00s and again now in the age of Klopp and Pep with Spain looking on top in the period inbetween. That's not controversial and the gap is not enormous by any means.

gajender

I think its pretty obvious Liverpool would get out of any group and Villa or Spurs would get out of most of them. This year two of the ones who qualified last year have dropped off this year.
Only true about Liverpool and there are more chances of Villa and Spurs getting Embarrassed like United and Newcastle than make it out of most groups infact they might have struggled even in PL with CL commitments .

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
4 La Liga teams in the knockout rounds of the CL vs 2 English teams.
English teams back to being the best at wasting money on ultra expensive flop signings? At least in our and UTDs case. Can't really say that about Newcastle, more a thin squad and robbed by the ref v PSG.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All friends league!
Yeah, as a Leverkusen fan it is uninagimable to root for Bayern. But then again, United isn't really a competitor to City or Liverpool th way Bayern is to Leverkusen, maybe that's the root cause of it.

ErikElevenHag

Yeah, as a Leverkusen fan it is uninagimable to root for Bayern. But then again, United isn't really a competitor to City or Liverpool th way Bayern is to Leverkusen, maybe that's the root cause of it.
Leverkusen are perennial 5/6th place merchants. you may be top this year, but if you think Bayern see you as a rival, you're deluded.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yes, that well known competitive rivalry between Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen, that has seen the latter finish an average of 23.4 points behind the former over the past decade, including one season where Bayern had literally twice as many points as Leverkusen.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Leverkusen are perennial 5/6th place merchants. you may be top this year, but if you think Bayern see you as a rival, you're deluded.
You might be correct, Bayern probably knows we're way too good for them

Yes, that well known competitive rivalry between Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen, that has seen the latter finish an average of 23.4 points behind the former over the past decade, including one season where Bayern had literally twice as many points as Leverkusen.
The past is the past!

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I am not sure, City don't look good this season, Real Madrid are looking favourites.
If real life was like a platform game and Joselu could find a Ruud Van Nistelrooy effectivity potion maybe but in current circumstances I think Guardiola and City will get back to their usual self and win it again.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If real life was like a platform game and Joselu could find a Ruud Van Nistelrooy effectivity potion maybe but in current circumstances I think Guardiola and City will get back to their usual self and win it again.
Wonder if Bellingham can carry us, is a lot to ask but that's the only way I see us going far in the competition. :lol: