The Reluctance To Support United

Fooza

A) That doesn't mean they're not supporting the club.

B) You have no right telling people how to support their club.
Exactly, I didn't mean I wanted Brighton to beat us tomorrow. It was simply a good discussion to be had that if we didn't win, Brighton could give City a better game (since everyone is harping on about city winning the treble). A comment that got the OP in an absolute rage and couldn't handle the fact that this is a forum with many ways of seeing things. Not everyone has to be a top red robot.

None the less, OP didn't show any respect to how good Brighton have been, who has beaten us in the past. Making out like they're absolutely rubbish compared to us because they're 8th (when this means absolutely nothing considering how close they are to top 4) and that Spurs beat them, which showed to me that he clearly didn't even watch that match. They also have scored more and created more in the league so that argument isn't as bad that warranted such anger from the OP - bizarre behaviour.

I ain't a *******, I see teams for what they are, and I will never be blinkered enough to acknowledge that other teams can be better than us regardless of who they are.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The problem is that a lot of peoples support is conditional. It has to be earned by wins and exciting football and countless other things, and if all of those things aren't in place then the support tap is turned off.

There are obvious upsides to being a dominant and successful team for so many years. The downside is that you get lots of these types of supporters jumping aboard. Liverpool have had it, we've got it, and City have it to come too.

frostbite

Who wants us to actively lose tomorrow?

I think we will lose tomorrow, but I obviously want us to win... I can't imagine there's many actual fans that want us to lose though?
We are going to win tomorrow. We are playing at home! (compared to Brighton)

VP

The problem is that a lot of peoples support is conditional. It has to be earned by wins and exciting football and countless other things, and if all of those things aren't in place then the support tap is turned off.

There are obvious upsides to being a dominant and successful team for so many years. The downside is that you get lots of these types of supporters jumping aboard. Liverpool have had it, we've got it, and City have it to come too.
That's clearly bollocks. If they were such fairweather fans why create an account here and go through the newbie system? And why would they jump aboard after the decade we have had?!

VP

Challenge to the moaners: can you find five posters that actually want United to lose tonight?

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
This is a 3 page example of that meme/cartoon where there are people in a boardroom on the top floor of an office block, and one of the employees states a perfectly reasonable idea, but ends up being hurled out the window, cos it just ain't how we do things here.

crossy1686

career ending

I think we will lose tomorrow, but I obviously want us to win... I can't imagine there's many actual fans that want us to lose though?
That’s it really, no one wants us to lose today, I’m sure we’d all rather beat Brighton and City to lift the cup.

I think we may have a small section of posters who are on the spectrum to some degree because they seem to take everything literally, either that or that can’t read the tone of posts and read them as literal facts instead. Some people just aren’t that good at writing their thoughts down in a way that’s easy to understand their intent also.

Denis79

I think he's talking about the " Would you rather beat Brighton in the league or FA cup" thread.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fan base built heavy during the SAF winning period - so some of the fan base have this belief that supporting is only by backing the players that are good/winnable enough.

Every time we lose, a good 2/3 of the players get absolute destroyed, some players get pushed to be sold as we saw even with Rashford who shut that fan base up this season.

Support is not a thing of this club. It’s why Liverpool will always have a better CLtrophies count than us because the way they back that club no matter how average the player is absolutely insane as we saw in the 2005 CL final where a bang average squad won the CL against AC Milan.

I can understand having a player you don’t like - like I don’t personally like Sancho, but literally everyone gets hated upon any chance the fanbase gets. I’ve seen it with De Gea, Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Lindelof, Fred, Mctominay, Antony, Rashford, Sancho and even players like Bruno Fernándes.

It’s just very disappointing but I guess that’s what’s makes us Manchester United. A poor fan base.

GueRed

Yeah we have the worst fan base in the Premier League.

up there with Arsenal

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wonder how many actually cheered Lindelof's penalty?

colombianmancunian

It’s one thing to be negative and another to be critical. I think most of us want the team to win, but can point out our CB pair with the injuries to Licha and VARANE is lacking, that we have no threat at #9, and that our GK isn’t the shot stopper he once was.

That being said, there’s people who are perpetually negative. But they are a minority.

Sir Erik ten Hag

What an amusing thread. Turn the excitement of an FA Cup final to a back-and-forth shit-show between 2 sides right away. :lol:

bringbackbebe

Just thought I'd create this thread after the Sevilla game and reading some shocking posts afterwards.

There has been a massive swing back into the lack of actual support for United.

So much so we have people willing the FA to hand City the FA cup already or willing Brighton to beat us tomorrow as they have a better chance of beating City (truly a shocking comment, considering the last time Brighton played City).

We are still in the cup, massive game tomorrow, we sit well above the team we are about to play,
A team who have won three of their last five games, same as us, a team who just lost to Spurs for feck sake.

Have some faith, support your fecking team, we have beat City this season already, we can beat Brighton.
Problem is the Jekyll and Hyde performances. I don't find it out of place that some of our supporters expect us to be trashed by City. I also don't find it out of place that some of our supporters expect us to beat City with an inspired performance. This sort of swing has been defining our season. Normal clubs don't let strong opposition score 6/7 goals against them multiple times in the same season and also allow weaker opposition to trash them 4-0 and 3-0. Normal clubs also don't simultaneously squeeze out unexpected wins, reach multiple cup finals etc. We are not normal but will hopefully be next season once we sort some issues out.