The right winger market…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Based on level of performance, we already had question marks in this area, however, following recent developments with our two first-choice options at right wing, it has become increasingly feasible that we will need to enter this market in the near future.

So, what is out there, what do we need and who should we target? I feel as of Sancho will be sold next summer latest which will provide funds that will need to go back into this area. That is even before his recent fallout, there was strong talk of him going this summer even.

For me, it presents a fantastic opportunity to get some directness and power into the team, which we haven’t had for a while. Our attack has been hindered due to a lack of contribution from one third of the front three ever since Greenwood left the side. Of we can fix that, it would be a huge step.

Bradley Barcola has just gone this summer, as has Moussa Diaby. Right wingers are far less common than left wingers these days. Some of the candidates include:

Nico Williams
Jarrod Bowen
Michael Olise
Sam Chukwueze
Yeri Pino

Rodrygo may even end up becoming available next summer, and of course, Coman and Gnabry as ever.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Based on level of performance, we already had question marks in this area, however, following recent developments with our two first-choice options at right wing, it has become increasingly feasible that we will need to enter this market in the near future.

So, what is out there, what do we need and who should we target? I feel as of Sancho will be sold next summer latest which will provide funds that will need to go back into this area. That is even before his recent fallout, there was strong talk of him going this summer even.

For me, it presents a fantastic opportunity to get some directness and power into the team, which we haven’t had for a while. Our attack has been hindered due to a lack of contribution from one third of the front three ever since Greenwood left the side. Of we can fix that, it would be a huge step.

Bradley Barcola has just gone this summer, as has Moussa Diaby. Right wingers are far less common than left wingers these days. Some of the candidates include:

Nico Williams
Jarrod Bowen
Michael Olise
Sam Chukwueze
Yeri Pino

Rodrygo may even end up becoming available next summer, and of course, Coman and Gnabry as ever.
What about Sane?

Personally I would like Olise

RikRuud

We should have gone for Moussa Diaby. Would have been brilliant for us. I do like Olise but he does tend over rely on the cut in. Always been a fan of Chiesa too.

Cassidy

We should have gone for Moussa Diaby. Would have been brilliant for us. I do like Olise but he does tend over rely on the cut in. Always been a fan of Chiesa too.
Would love Chiesa but he might be another one who wants to play LW

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What about Sane?

Personally I would like Olise
I don’t think Sané is good on the right. Dembele at 40-odd million this summer could have been shrewd, but a summer too early.

There’s a question of profiles too. Some may feel having two Rashford’s is overkill, especially now Hojlund offers a direct threat too. Perhaps the Olise profile may offer different appeal. I think Pino fits this bill too.

As far as direct options go I can’t look past Nico Williams personally. Powerful running, threat in behind and scores goals. As I said, may need some subtlety to balance out the front 3 with Rashford and Hojlund though.

Delano

In the last 15 years, Nani is still the standout RW we've had.

Same good options in the thread, but who are we kidding, the RW spot is cursed.

Cassidy

Whole club is cursed

Cassidy

I don’t think Sané is good on the right. Dembele at 40-odd million this summer could have been shrewd, but a summer too early.

There’s a question of profiles too. Some may feel having two Rashford’s is overkill, especially now Hojlund offers a direct threat too. Perhaps the Olise profile may offer different appeal. I think Pino fits this bill too.

As far as direct options go I can’t look past Nico Williams personally. Powerful running, threat in behind and scores goals. As I said, may need some subtlety to balance out the front 3 with Rashford and Hojlund though.
Diaby actually would have been perfect and not that expensive.
Dembele is injury prone so would have passed on him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would love Chiesa but he might be another one who wants to play LW
Chiesa is a good shout, and he wouldn’t cost extortionate money. And he does play right side. Also injury prone though.

Aresred

Johann Bakayoko , Amine Adli and Giovani might be good options

Last edited:

NZT-One

Even a player like early Valencia would be really helpful. He was so freakin fast, just walzed past opponents. Endproduct was limited but this goes for Nani as well.

I think, we should keep our ears on Barcelona. Maybe Raphinha isn't shiny enough in a year or two. He would fit in really well I think. Shame he seemingly wasn't considered (and probably had a hard on for Barcelona).

For sure would like Olise as well. But probably his price will be OTT, therefor, I guess this ship has sailed to a degree (funny enough, Olise was mentioned on Tifo I think, as a pretty great cheap option for PL team... But United and most his fans were obviously looking for more prestigious options...)

That being said... we have spent so much on RW in the last 4 years. I'd favor making sure, other positions are fixed and we try to make the most of Antony. New addition only if Sancho could be cashed in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Olise or Johan Bakayoko
Bakayoko was the first name that came to my mind but I thought he’d just signed a new deal amidst Bournemouth interest.

He was my first thought simply because he’s the only viable option that plays in the Eredivise, which probably puts him pretty high on our radar.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Olise or Johan Bakayoko
Noticed a lot of him this summer. Huge potential but his temperament gives me Sancho right now. Not sure I can countenance another wimp.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ernest Nuamah who has recently moved to Lyon looks a big prospect for the RW role and is only 19 years old. He's explosive, can go either side and is a high volume dribbler that is ambipedal (two footed). He represents Ghana at youth level but joined Danish club Nordsjælland via the 'academy right to dream'. Lyon have reportedly paid €25m + €5m for him.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Nuamah gets on this season and maybe make a move early for him if he lives up to his early promise.

Below are brief highlights from his debut for Lyon against PSG and for a 19 year old he did well considering it was his debut in a new league against the best team in the league.

vulmik

Amad. He's a brilliant talent and just needs an opportunity and to stay injury free.

jem

I’d honestly just like to see Amad and Pellistri given an opportunity; sure it’s risky, but no more so than blowing 50 million or more on a new signing, particularly given our recent luck in those kinds of signings. I’m guessing Mount, Bruno and even Rashford could step in when needed.

OleGunnar20

Olise would be great but hugely expensive. I'm all for giving Amad and Pellistri a run at it. Amad in particular I have high hopes for still.

Redstain

Marcus Edwards very good last season.

Olise massively underrated in some respects but one of the most promising in the league.

Surprised how little mention Brennan Johnson got before moving to Spurs:
2021 18 goals / 10 assists (championship)
2022 8 goals / 3 assists in the (league)
which outperforms both Sancho / Antony. This position should have been a priority in the summer.

luke511

We've over-invested in this position, Amad, Pellestri, Antony, Sancho is more than enough. Even if Antony and Sancho were sold I'd rather us invest that money into CM, CF and CB first.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Olise would be great but hugely expensive. I'm all for giving Amad and Pellistri a run at it. Amad in particular I have high hopes for still.
I’ve not seen much really in Pellistri that says he could be a significant contributor for a club with Utd’s aims. I bet he’ll be at Girona in a couple of years, doing pretty good. Amad, on the other hand, is clearly very talented indeed, and I think you can’t understate the importance of him having such a successful loan spell at Sunderland last season. He made himself first choice pretty quickly, and largely maintained his levels, in a team hamstrung by injuries. It would have been a difficult and very physical learning curve for him, and he excelled there.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Depends on manager. If it's ETH, it could be Bowen or Eze or Olise. I don't think he would take two dribblers who loses the ball a lot on both sides.

caid

I wonder how Pedro Neto will recover from his injury. He looked very good at one point.
I think we have enough players we could and should give a go before we buy more. Bruno or Mount, Sancho with one last chance. Amad, Pelestri maybe Garnacho?
Some are a bit of a stretch. It just wouldn't be my first priority if the window was open today.

hobbers

Olise is the obvious Prem proven one. If Sancho is sold and Antony is 'unavailable' he'd be the best bet.

Giggsy13

Pellistri should be given a chance, we don’t need to go into the market after spending £150 million plus on Sancho and Antony.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We aren't going to sign somebody here for a while. Would need to get a good amount of money for Sancho, and we are still covered as we have Amad and Pellistri both with high potential, even if we go the Greenwood route on Antony. Speaking of Greenwood, I still have a feeling that we'll just bring him back next season the same way Getafe are doing it.

Signing a right winger might happen in 3 years once things are decided with Greenwood, Antony, Sancho and we determine that Amad or Pellistri aren't good enough. But it's not even a consideration until 2025/2026 basically.

windycityfan

We aren't going to sign somebody here for a while. Would need to get a good amount of money for Sancho, and we are still covered as we have Amad and Pellistri both with high potential, even if we go the Greenwood route on Antony. Speaking of Greenwood, I still have a feeling that we'll just bring him back next season the same way Getafe are doing it.

Signing a right winger might happen in 3 years once things are decided with Greenwood, Antony, Sancho and we determine that Amad or Pellistri aren't good enough. But it's not even a consideration until 2025/2026 basically.
Pardon? There’s nothing to be decided about Greenwood- he’s done at this club, forever.

The one thing that this club doesn’t need besides dropping points: PR hits. From the long drawn out sale/no sale, to the Greenwood ordeal and mismanagement of that situation, to Sancho, now Antony. At some point sensible heads need to take control and do some quality control on the off the pitch bleeding. The club is a becoming a satirical joke. How long until even players and agents start dodging us like the club is poison?

Greenwood is right where he needs to be- the feck away. That shitshow, player and bad PR, can’t comeback next year or ever. Time to move on for good.

Drizzle

We're broke for now, and we're in serious danger of having another 2 extremely expensive assets in Antony and Sancho leave for peanuts which would be yet another disaster for our ability to spend big.

So we're stuck with our current options, none of which are great.

Pellistri - has some promise but I don't sense a big talent in him. Feels a bit like Dan James without the speed or output.

Amad - lovely player, but injured, and probably better slightly infield. Deserves a chance.

Mount - can play there, may provide a bit of balance compared to our more direct left wingers. But it's not his best position.

Bruno - plays there in some tactical situations, but we know he's restricted there.

Give it 2 seasons and maybe Lacey can start getting blooded...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Piano would be the most similar to Antony in terms of work rate, so if we did buy, I would imagine it would be him.

Dannn411

We need to focus on signing someone who can take men on and beat them with regularity. Enough of attacking midfielders not good enough to play central. We need real natural wingers. That's the most important thing by far.