The right winger market…

Indeed. He's a decent player, but I think his younger brother has much more potential, and Iñaki will be 30 next summer. I think he would be a good addition despite his age, because of his versatility and Højlund shouldn't be playing every match for us at 20.
How much he would cost , what's his release clause because If I am not wrong don't think Athletic actually negotiate for transfer fees .

How much he would cost , what's his release clause because If I am not wrong don't think Athletic actually negotiate for transfer fees .

He has a termination clause at €50m so it's significantly cheaper than what Antony cost us, for example, and he has much potential. He is also versatile in how he can play both left and right wing.

He has a termination clause at €50m so it's significantly cheaper than what Antony cost us, for example, and he has much potential. He is also versatile in how he can play both left and right wing.
That's actually quite fair price for young attacker whichever way you look at it and his versatility as you mentioned is a an added bonus .

We should be holding off on buying a rw in the winter, give Amad and Pelistri their chance over the next few months. Antony is going nowhere this winter so he also be an option. Then in the summer look at where we are on R W. we have too many other fires to put out.

Last edited:
We should be holding off on buying a rw in the winter, give Amad and Pelistri their chance oer the next few months. Antony will be going nowhere this winter so we also be an option. Then in the summer look at where we are on R W. we have too many other fires to put out.

Agreed, priority should be another ST and a CB if we offload any of our existing ones. Need to give Amad a proper shot before we spunk another chunk there. Only RW option I’d be down for would be Roony Bardghji as he’s just €10m, even then I think a buy and loan back for the remainder of the season probably makes most sense for him.

Was having a look at fbref to check if there were any standout wingers for creativity, since I thought getting someone else to feed Hojlund would be more useful than another goalscorer. Cherki, Nico Williams and Wirtz were all players I expected to see, but I was surprised to see that Garnacho actually ranks remarkably high in shot-creating actions per 90 in the top 5 leagues this season. He's creating more chances per 90 than the likes of Saka, Doku and even Bruno. Perhaps the best option for the rw is simply to move Garnacho to the right where he can focus more on creating chances than shooting on goal. That final shot has been the part of his game that's been lacking. I thought he had played quite well in terms of his attacking runs, so it's nice to see the data shows he has been playing well also.

Was having a look at fbref to check if there were any standout wingers for creativity, since I thought getting someone else to feed Hojlund would be more useful than another goalscorer. Cherki, Nico Williams and Wirtz were all players I expected to see, but I was surprised to see that Garnacho actually ranks remarkably high in shot-creating actions per 90 in the top 5 leagues this season. He's creating more chances per 90 than the likes of Saka, Doku and even Bruno. Perhaps the best option for the rw is simply to move Garnacho to the right where he can focus more on creating chances than shooting on goal. That final shot has been the part of his game that's been lacking. I thought he had played quite well in terms of his attacking runs, so it's nice to see the data shows he has been playing well also.
While I admire the thought, you do realise you've just said the stats show Garnacho is creating loads of chances on the left, so let's put him right wing.

An important position for us to get right still. If we had someone who was a consistent threat and contributor with goals/assists from that side we’d look a much better side.

While I admire the thought, you do realise you've just said the stats show Garnacho is creating loads of chances on the left, so let's put him right wing.
The problem with him on the left is that Rashford is always going to play there when fit. Also, I remember one game recently where Garnacho played on the rw (I think he came off the bench) and he actually played really well. I can't remember who the opponent was now unfortunately. I'd just like to see us try him there a couple times to see if he can create from that wing. Just because he creates chances from the left doesn't automatically mean he can't create chances from the right.

Also, he has come off the bench to play on the rw quite a few times this season, so I'm sure some of those chances came from the right side of the pitch.

Last edited:
The problem with him on the left is that Rashford is always going to play there when fit. Also, I remember one game recently where Garnacho played on the rw (I think he came off the bench) and he actually played really well. I can't remember who the opponent was now unfortunately. I'd just like to see us try him there a couple times to see if he can create from that wing. Just because he creates chances from the left doesn't automatically mean he can't create chances from the right.

Also, he has come off the bench to play on the rw quite a few times this season, so I'm sure some of those chances came from the right side of the pitch.
I watch all of our games and I don't recall Garnacho ever playing on the right. Name me the opponents please.

Luton game just played. He and Rashford swapped positions for a short period during the game.

I watch all of our games and I don't recall Garnacho ever playing on the right. Name me the opponents please.
He has played on the right wing a few games where he came off the bench for Antony and Rashford was still on the pitch. I don't remember the exact games but he definitely has played there a few times despite the majority of his appearances being on the left. I think Arsenal is one of the games where he came on to play on the right.

Last edited:
I think there are plenty of RW options that would upgrade us. Just need to think out of the Ajax/Eredivisie box

- j. Bowen (west ham)
- Neto (wolves)
- kudus (west ham)
- raphinha (Barcelona and out of favour)
- Ansu fati (Barcelona/Brighton end of season)
- chiesa (swap deal with Juventus for Sancho)

I agree, just if someone is playing effectively in their natural/preferred position, it's probably better to just keep them there.

I agree, just if someone is playing effectively in their natural/preferred position, it's probably better to just keep them there.
I already gave you the reason why just keeping him there isn't really on option. If Rashford wasn't in the squad, this would be a better point.

I think there are plenty of RW options that would upgrade us. Just need to think out of the Ajax/Eredivisie box

- j. Bowen (west ham)
- Neto (wolves)
- kudus (west ham)

Hmmmm....

- j. Bowen (west ham)
- Neto (wolves)
- kudus (west ham)
Fati is a left winger isn’t he? He’s also been poor for Barcelona and needs a low pressure environment to get his career back on track.

How do people rate Moussa Diaby? I just realised that he and Frimpong play together and I was wondering if they have good chemistry.

edit - didn’t realise he moved to West Ham

Last edited:
Was hoping we wouldn’t still need a RW. But obviously Antony is useless… was hoping Diallo would have been close to ready now but he seems to be injured a lot.

Fati is a left winger isn’t he? He’s also been poor for Barcelona and needs a low pressure environment to get his career back on track.

How do people rate Moussa Diaby? I just realised that he and Frimpong play together and I was wondering if they have good chemistry.

edit - didn’t realise he moved to West Ham
Isn't it Aston Villa? He would be a great improvement for us since he has 3g 3a in 12 games for them. But he'd cost a fortune..

Doku seems like a good fit - fast, can dribble - exactly what we need. A lot of players like Moussa Diaby are sort of hybrid striker / attackers, not real true dribbling wide players.

We have a striker hybrid in Rashford, what we really need is someone that can open up space consistently. How come we never identify players like Duko? There must be more of them around.

Neto's not a bad option if he can get over his injury issues. Though like Sane he seems a little more natural when he can go down the line on the left.

Also Kubo seems to be doing well for Sociedad this season.

Doku seems like a good fit - fast, can dribble - exactly what we need. A lot of players like Moussa Diaby are sort of hybrid striker / attackers, not real true dribbling wide players.

We have a striker hybrid in Rashford, what we really need is someone that can open up space consistently. How come we never identify players like Duko? There must be more of them around.

Neto's not a bad option if he can get over his injury issues. Though like Sane he seems a little more natural when he can go down the line on the left.

Also Kubo seems to be doing well for Sociedad this season.

Kubo reportedly has a bit of a weird situation. He's not technically on loan, but half his registration rights are still held by Real Madrid.
So Madrid can buy him back for €3m whenever they like and if Sociedad sell him elsewhere, they'll only get ~50% of the fee.

On Neto, I think the injury issues rule him out for me, even though I think he's great when he plays, even moreso on the right.

Have another look at our summer signings and you won't find a single outfield player who wasn't either injured or freshly back from long term absence upon signing with us. It would be nice to give the next one some kind of chance of hitting the ground running, especially in such a position of need.

Can we just build a Time Machine and sign robben?
There's no need for a time machine, to be fair; there are a few really good options out there (and could be secured if we make the right manoeuvers and steal a march on the competition). For example, United could take a leaf out of Madrid's contemporary playbook and prioritize Estevão from Palmeiras — in terms of talent he is not markedly worse than a young Robben, and represents the cream of the crop for Brazil in recent years (along with the likes of Endrick and Vinícius, who were proactive signings and are (or will be) worth several times the initial transfer fee paid to Brasileirão-based clubs).

I can't see us buying a rw in the winter and I hope we don't. We have at least 5 options to Play rw in amad, pellistri, Antony, Rashford and Mount. its time to get the coaches to get one of these to perform, they are not all poor players.

I can't see us buying a rw in the winter and I hope we don't. We have at least 5 options to Play rw in amad, pellistri, Antony, Rashford and Mount. its time to get the coaches to get one of these to perform, they are not all poor players.
This./

The answer cannot always be to buy our way out of trouble. Other squads are coached into over performances so it’s time we are too, there are enough options to get someone serviceable.

Nah, disagree. We made a bad error in signing Antony, we shouldn’t just persist and hope the problem gets better on its own.
Pellistri is only good enough for a squad role at best. Rashford is only really effective on the left and Mount is a midfielder. Amad is the only one who has good potential there, but I have my doubts.
If we were any way ambitious we’d sign someone and sell Antony and Sancho.

Johan Bakayoko also looks like a terrific player everytime I watch him play. But I have my reservations towards Eredivisie players.

Getafe has a right winger who scored a brilliant goal vs Almeria.

Nah, disagree. We made a bad error in signing Antony, we shouldn’t just persist and hope the problem gets better on its own.
Pellistri is only good enough for a squad role at best. Rashford is only really effective on the left and Mount is a midfielder. Amad is the only one who has good potential there, but I have my doubts.
If we were any way ambitious we’d sign someone and sell Antony and Sancho.

Who to, though? Think about the finances of this one. You’ve got two of the highest paid players in the league, both massively underperforming. There are maybe 7-8 clubs outside of Saudi who can afford to match their wage and contract - but if they are struggling in an average Manchester United team, why would Manchester City or Real Madrid want them?

Manchester United for a while now have used a dreadful transfer strategy, whereby they buy at a player’s career peak price, and sell/release at their lowest. This means they end up amortising huge fees for very mediocre/underperforming players (too many to list in the last decade) with little to no resale value.

So to go back to your highlighted suggestion above, sell? For a transfer fee? The reality is both of their market values have at least halved, and meanwhile they are on massive expensive deals few clubs could match even if offered the players for free.

The best outcome would be loans to get the wages off the books. But that isn’t going to provide £Xm to go out and spend on a shiny new RW.

RW has to be our biggest priority behind perhaps CB. Antony is a poor player. Mount and Rashford aren't RWs, Pellistri will never be good enough to hold that position down for us, and Amad is still an unknown.

It's been a problem position for us for a decade and our best 'solutions' of late have been Greewnood, Antony, and Sancho. Enough said

Once we can actually sell Antony and Sancho, then we should buy one. Bad squad building to stockpile failed players... Needs to be clean imo.

RW has to be our biggest priority behind perhaps CB. Antony is a poor player. Mount and Rashford aren't RWs, Pellistri will never be good enough to hold that position down for us, and Amad is still an unknown.

It's been a problem position for us for a decade and our best 'solutions' of late have been Greewnood, Antony, and Sancho. Enough said

Greenwood was the true solution to that position, he was head and shoulders above Antony and Sancho for us and its just unfortunate that he's an 'orrible cnut.