The right winger market…

MegadrivePerson

I wonder how Pedro Neto will recover from his injury. He looked very good at one point.
I think we have enough players we could and should give a go before we buy more. Bruno or Mount, Sancho with one last chance. Amad, Pelestri maybe Garnacho?
Some are a bit of a stretch. It just wouldn't be my first priority if the window was open today.

Pedro Neto has started the season very well.
In Spain Takefusa Kubo has scored three in four and caused Madrid all kinds of problems yesterday.

These would be my two targets.

CM

You give a chance to talented youth, if you have the talent you play. The issue I have with Pellistri is I don't think he has the talent or else as with seen with Garnacho and even Mainoo Ten Hag would play him.
Maybe Pellistri isn't the same level of talent as Mainoo or Garnacho but there is something there. It would've be nice if he was given the opportunity to showcase what he can or can't do when there was no other viable alternative in his position last game.

If we're going to talk about talent, Scott McTominay has none and has accumulated over 200 appearances for Manchester United. Not only was he the player keeping Pellistri out against Brighton, but we also shunted Bruno wide to accomodate that change. It was a loser on multiple counts.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We need to start letting the ball do the running for us rather than relying on a sprint team. A little bit harder to do, but far more effective.
It's not because fast players beat you to the ball. It doesn't go into the net on it's own.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not because fast players beat you to the ball. It doesn't go into the net on it's own.
It really is. Fast players don’t beat you to the ball if you pass it with the right speed and accuracy to your teammate.

Brighton passed circles around us with Gilmour, Groß and Lallana in midfield. We had Bruno, Casemiro, McTominay and Eriksen. Which would you say has greater athleticism and energy?

How did Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets cope? Or Kroos and Modric? Or Gundogan, Rodri and Silva?

This ‘we need more speed‘ philosophy is from the dark ages. Learn to pass the ball. If you can pass it one touch, nobody will catch it. Don’t get me wrong, speed, especially in the right areas is obviously needed, but our team should be built upon what it can do with the ball first and foremost.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

It really is. Fast players don’t beat you to the ball if you pass it with the right speed and accuracy to your teammate.

Brighton passed circles around us with Gilmour, Groß and Lallana in midfield. We had Bruno, Casemiro, McTominay and Eriksen. Which would you say has greater athleticism and energy?
Brighton.

Trust me, if we want to counter or transition with speed, we need players who are quick. The passing is true but our ability to turn every player into a pass misplacer is legendary.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Brighton.

Trust me, if we want to counter or transition with speed, we need players who are quick. The passing is true but our ability to turn every player into a pass misplacer is legendary.
And if we want to control and be proactive, we need to learn how to pass the football.

And until we focus on not becoming ‘pass misplacers’, we will be stuck in yesteryear.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

And if we want to control and be proactive, we need to learn how to pass the football.

And until we focus on not becoming ‘pass misplacers’, we will be stuck in yesteryear.
Global warming will get us before that will happen

Rossa

You give a chance to talented youth, if you have the talent you play. The issue I have with Pellistri is I don't think he has the talent or else as with seen with Garnacho and even Mainoo Ten Hag would play him.
Then ETH should have sold him. Playing McTominay and/or Bruno out wide is not a solution. McTominay does his Houdini act, and Bruno is much better and more effective in his normal position. You basically take one of the best creators in the world, shunt him out wide where he doesn't get involved as much and doesn't have the skillset to succeed. You diminish his impact whilst weakening two positions.

Playing Pellistri at least makes us keep our team structure and balance.

Rossa

How did Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets cope? Or Kroos and Modric? Or Gundogan, Rodri and Silva?

This ‘we need more speed‘ philosophy is from the dark ages. Learn to pass the ball. If you can pass it one touch, nobody will catch it. Don’t get me wrong, speed, especially in the right areas is obviously needed, but our team should be built upon what it can do with the ball first and foremost.
You need both. Iniesta had electric acceleration that enabled him to go past a player or two. Xavi was just about a walking statue, but he was like Scholes with arguably more finesse, so he didn't need physicality. They also had Dani Alves who was very quick, Alba in his prime, Messi, Eto'o, Villa etc who all had pace. As you said, it wasn't their trademark, but they were arguably the best technical team in football history and they still had runners - they weren't a great transitional team though.

You can build a great team from different perspectives and strengths. My concern with the current United crop is that we aren't particularly brilliant at anything. I don't think we are very poor in either category either, which makes us a fairly balanced team in that regard, which also makes us overall a fairly decent team.

However, most top tier teams have a clear strength - something that other teams have to worry about. We used to have a electric attack that were arguably the best in the world at counter attacking football and transitions. Mourinho used to have the most physical teams in the world. Arsene Wenger would go with technical. Where is our identity?

If you want to be the best in the world at transitions, as ETH stated, then we need seriously fast players, and we need brilliant passers from deep. Where are we in that process? Højlund looks properly fast, so he might transform our team. Rashford is fast, but he lacks a proper work rate. Antony has decent pace, but he's a train wreck in transitions. Garnacho is fairly fast. Martial can't run anymore. Bruno is fairly quick for a number ten, but nothing to write home about. Our fullbacks are quick, but not Evra quick.

We certainly don't have the Xavi, Scholes passers in the game - hell not even Carrick. So how exactly does ETH see us becoming the best transitional team in the world?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
However, most top tier teams have a clear strength - something that other teams have to worry about. We used to have a electric attack that were arguably the best in the world at counter attacking football and transitions. Mourinho used to have the most physical teams in the world. Arsene Wenger would go with technical. Where is our identity?
About half of the CLs in the last decade have been won by Zidane's Real and Heynckes Bayern (which I think are on of the best teams ever). They did not have this clear identity, but essentially could do everything and had an answer to any idea the other teams had. So it is not necessary to have this one identity, you can built a team without it, if you know what you are doing. Then you can out-possession Pep's teams and out-counter Mou's teams. But this might be much harder than to create a team with a clearly defined identity (and at least in Bayerns case it happened as an evolution of a true van Gaal-possession team).

Rossa

About half of the CLs in the last decade have been won by Zidane's Real and Heynckes Bayern (which I think are on of the best teams ever). They did not have this clear identity, but essentially could do everything and had an answer to any idea the other teams had. So it is not necessary to have this one identity, you can built a team without it, if you know what you are doing. Then you can out-possession Pep's teams and out-counter Mou's teams. But this might be much harder than to create a team with a clearly defined identity (and at least in Bayerns case it happened as an evolution of a true van Gaal-possession team).
From somewhat limited viewing, RM were very direct and brilliant at transitional play. Am I mistaken?

Bayern I know too little about.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From somewhat limited viewing, RM were very direct and brilliant at transitional play. Am I mistaken?

And also very fortunate. Almost all of their CL titles in that run were what would be considered unexpected, and I don’t think they were always hugely impressive. They also have a ‘football heritage’ that allows big decisions to go their way at key moments, but they somehow got through on many occasions while looking poor.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You need both. Iniesta had electric acceleration that enabled him to go past a player or two. Xavi was just about a walking statue, but he was like Scholes with arguably more finesse, so he didn't need physicality. They also had Dani Alves who was very quick, Alba in his prime, Messi, Eto'o, Villa etc who all had pace. As you said, it wasn't their trademark, but they were arguably the best technical team in football history and they still had runners - they weren't a great transitional team though.

You can build a great team from different perspectives and strengths. My concern with the current United crop is that we aren't particularly brilliant at anything. I don't think we are very poor in either category either, which makes us a fairly balanced team in that regard, which also makes us overall a fairly decent team.

If you want to be the best in the world at transitions, as ETH stated, then we need seriously fast players, and we need brilliant passers from deep. Where are we in that process? Højlund looks properly fast, so he might transform our team. Rashford is fast, but he lacks a proper work rate. Antony has decent pace, but he's a train wreck in transitions. Garnacho is fairly fast. Martial can't run anymore. Bruno is fairly quick for a number ten, but nothing to write home about. Our fullbacks are quick, but not Evra quick.

We certainly don't have the Xavi, Scholes passers in the game - hell not even Carrick. So how exactly does ETH see us becoming the best transitional team in the world?
I would say pace is important for winger and full back in City's system. Not so much in midfield. Even Foden, Mahrez and B. Silva are not that fast. Walker however is really fast.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Mostly, yes. But if things didn't go their way, they had other means to force their luck.

Bayern mostly were a possession based team, but when they won the CL in 2013 they could happily go into physical battles and pick teams up on the counter for fun.

Which goes to say that if you have a certain core it doesn't hurt to add other abilities and styles, but that's probably the next step, not the first that is needed for United

Bojan Djordjic

Never let a crisis go to waste - we actually have some very highly rated youth players that could do a job and offer something different from RW like Isak Hansen Aroen and the admittedly extremely young, Shea Lacey. Absolute free hit for ETH given the injury, suspension and alleged domestic violence offences. We saw how Garnacho became our main impact threat off the bench last season having got some injury minutes and perhaps either of these two could become that player this season if afforded the same opportunity. Both are certainly more highly rated than Garnacho was before he grabbed his chance. IHA is more of a midfielder but he's very strong technically and is good at linking up. Shea Lacey looks like he could be anything and certainly doesn't seem to have Antony's limitations in the dribble.

Bobski

Antony has decent pace, but he's a train wreck in transitions.
Painfully true, go back to Giggs and it often felt like he was quicker with the ball at feet than without it. Probably not true, but he lost very little because his touch at pace was exquisite. Antony seems to be only able to carry the ball forward with the outside of his left, and at times it looks near physically uncomfortable for him to be direct.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Never let a crisis go to waste - we actually have some very highly rated youth players that could do a job and offer something different from RW like Isak Hansen Aroen and the admittedly extremely young, Shea Lacey. Absolute free hit for ETH given the injury, suspension and alleged domestic violence offences. We saw how Garnacho became our main impact threat off the bench last season having got some injury minutes and perhaps either of these two could become that player this season if afforded the same opportunity. Both are certainly more highly rated than Garnacho was before he grabbed his chance. IHA is more of a midfielder but he's very strong technically and is good at linking up. Shea Lacey looks like he could be anything and certainly doesn't seem to have Antony's limitations in the dribble.
Surely it's too early to be putting Lacey anywhere near the first team? There will be a fair few players ahead of him. Garnacho was definitely miles ahead of Lacey before he got his chance.

Bojan Djordjic

Surely it's too early to be putting Lacey anywhere near the first team? There will be a fair few players ahead of him. Garnacho was definitely miles ahead of Lacey before he got his chance.
Garnacho was a fair bit older at the time of his debut than Lacey is now but Lacey is definitely considered a bigger talent in his age group than Garnacho at the same stage in his development. Obviously, Garnacho's stock has risen a lot since then but Lacey is considered one of the best 16 year olds around which Garnacho never really was at youth level.

Garnacho's great but Lacey really looks special although a lot will depend on his physical development. Garnacho's speed allows him to be a danger even whilst his game is still quite raw and Lacey definitely doesn't have that blistering pace - although he does seem to have exceptional dribbling ability.

RedWilliam

How about Ritsu Doan from Japan? Currently plays for Freiburg but has played in Eredivision so Ten Hag must know him.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
We should sign Mbuemo. He is the only man for me right now.

The Irish Connection

Ernest Nuamah who has recently moved to Lyon looks a big prospect for the RW role and is only 19 years old. He's explosive, can go either side and is a high volume dribbler that is ambipedal (two footed). He represents Ghana at youth level but joined Danish club Nordsjælland via the 'academy right to dream'. Lyon have reportedly paid €25m + €5m for him.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Nuamah gets on this season and maybe make a move early for him if he lives up to his early promise.

Below are brief highlights from his debut for Lyon against PSG and for a 19 year old he did well considering it was his debut in a new league against the best team in the league.

These are the kind of wingers we should be looking at. Lads with strength, pace, skill and explosiveness. None of this cutting inside shite, just lads who live for taking defenders on.

Bojan Djordjic

These are the kind of wingers we should be looking at. Lads with strength, pace, skill and explosiveness. None of this cutting inside shite, just lads who live for taking defenders on.
Don't think he's been blowing the barn doors open at Lyon so far and given Kamaldeen Suleimana's struggles, I'd be cautious but I'd love a player who could bring this style to the higher levels.

Really hope we can get someone with explosive power and real athleticism. Would give my right nut for someone in the mould of prime Bale but it seems like such a rare profile nowadays. All these weaklings who can't beat their full back if their life depended on them. Would probably try and get in early for Estevao Willian before his value explodes. Looks like a proper dribbler and while he's skinny now, he looks athletic and can pass and shoot well from the limited clips I've seen.

The Irish Connection

Don't think he's been blowing the barn doors open at Lyon so far and given Kamaldeen Suleimana's struggles, I'd be cautious but I'd love a player who could bring this style to the higher levels.

Really hope we can get someone with explosive power and real athleticism. Would give my right nut for someone in the mould of prime Bale but it seems like such a rare profile nowadays. All these weaklings who can't beat their full back if their life depended on them. Would probably try and get in early for Estevao Willian before his value explodes. Looks like a proper dribbler and while he's skinny now, he looks athletic and can pass and shoot well from the limited clips I've seen.
Cool. I like hearing about up and coming names of these kind of players. Fergie loved them.
It’s a simple equation really, if you can regularly beat the full back you’re good in my eyes.
Ill get pelters now but that’s why I thought Adama Traore was underrated and to be honest I would have taken him over any of the wingers we bought in the last few years. I just enjoy watching players dribble and beat defenders. It’s the most fundamental part of the joy in football.
Thats all you try to do when you’re 5 playing with friends.

ATXRedDevil

He was highly rated at Madrid. Good numbers at Sociedad. Japan are producing some good players. I was impressed with them at the World Cup. Him and Mitoma both welcome here
Agreed on all counts. Would love to have a Japanese star at United. Kubo looks very tricky and productive, the latter being exactly what we need down that right side.

renatosanches85

Neto is the only choice. He’s PL proven and the right profile. Wolves will sell for something close to £50m.

Redstain

Kubo, please.
Kubo is an excellent shout, I completely forgot about him. Wouldn't put it past the club to overlook him but he's got shades of Bernardo Silva while at Monaco. Club should be moving in for him, opposite of Antony in that's he's good in closed spaces.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Savio (19), player of Girona. I don't know how much the clause is.
He has started the season playing very well.

philippexyz

I like Olise from Crystal Palace, would be my first choice, probably. Xavi Simmons, Pedro Neto, another possible options.

But this is all a fantasy, we're not spending big money on another right winger with Sancho and Antony still at the club and they cost us £150m+ in 2021 and 2022 summer transfer windows while they're not even playing(both being suspended and flops, basically). We can't afford to splash the big cash on that position again, there are other priorities, I think(like center back, right back, central midfielder, backup striker, for example).

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Before we go out and splurge another £80m, I'd like to see Pellistri and Diallo given a proper run in the team.
Now would be the ideal time with the Antony & Sancho situations.

The-Mezzala

Before we go out and splurge another £80m, I'd like to see Pellistri and Diallo given a proper run in the team.
Now would be the ideal time with the Antony & Sancho situations.
Dont think Pellistri will ever be more than impact sub at best . But Diallo definitely deserves a run when fit. I have high hopes. Did extremely well at Sunderland. Was one of the most exciting prospects in the Atalanta youth team. In Italy Atalanta academy is one of the best in the country so lets give this kid a chance to show what he can do fully agree

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hes been largely shit for years and is now playing well. That kind of inconsistency, he would fit right in.
He’s been largely injured. He was far from shit before his injuries, then shit for a while after them, and now seems to be returning to the levels shown before injuries.

zaafi

Hes been largely shit for years and is now playing well. That kind of inconsistency, he would fit right in.
He played like 400 minutes in the 21/22 season and 900 minutes the following season. Injuries stopped his progression, but he was looking very, very good when he first came to Wolverhampton as a teenager. Hopefully he'll continue in this form, and if he does, he'll be one of the best right wingers in the world.