The right winger market…

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It’s in the Sun, unfortunately, but just saw us linked with Kubo. Exactly what we need down the right and a €60m release clause if I recall correctly.
Would rather have one of Bowen / Eze / Olise

luke511

Amad and Greenwood as our options next season (along with Antony if he isn’t sold) so we can go hard strengthening midfield and centre defence. If we’re selling Casemiro we need 3 centre mids along with a centre back, with FFP restrictions I can’t imagine there’s much room to be going after a pricey right winger too.

SAF is the GOAT

Good player with high potential for a 20-year-old. Has pace and power in abundance and would be a good signing for around £30m imo.
dribbling and 1v1 ? right foot ? defensive awareness?

saw a few comps of him and he doesn't massively look that different from Antony.
They're both lining to their left foot and not scoring enough.

besides, it doesn't look so possible to bring him in January

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

Good player with high potential for a 20 year old. Has pace and power in abundance and would be a good signing for around £30m imo.
Yep. Been watchin clips of him over the last couple weeks. For 30m ish would be a good signing. He’s got pace and is good at taking on defenders.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep. Been watchin clips of him over the last couple weeks. For 30m ish would be a good signing. He’s got pace and is good at taking on defenders.
He has all the attributes that are missing with Antony and Amad Diallo. And those are that he's explosive over the first yards going both ways along with being physically powerful. Of course he's still very young at 20 years of age, but considering the Dutch club he's playing for, I think it would be a pretty straight forward deal unless we repeat the shenanigans of the Robben deal and piss PSV off.

And just to add, goals and assists are of course important for a team going forward. But if we start judging individual players by ignoring their contribution from when the GK starts the build up to when the goal is scored, then you've turned a blind eye to the development of a system imo. And with the young Belgian talent Bakayoko, it's not his 17 goal contributions that impress me but his potential to cause big problems for the opposition in open play.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
True that we need someone in this position because all our options are poor.

But unfortunately for some, Greenwood is still the best option there.

Do you invest 50M on a player, knowing that you already spent 100M on Antony, when you have Greenwood already ?

BarryWinks

Anyone mentioned Adringra yet?

Always enjoy watching him. Rightfooted too so nice throwback to that era of wingers playing to the side of their stronger foot. Plus he's pretty good as a left winger too, and has done decently in this league so acclimatizing shouldn't be an issue.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
True that we need someone in this position because all our options are poor.

But unfortunately for some, Greenwood is still the best option there.

Do you invest 50M on a player, knowing that you already spent 100M on Antony, when you have Greenwood already ?
Why is it 50m? It's 40m euros, which would be 35m pounds. It would just be balancing the squad anyway with Sancho leaving.

We don't have Greenwood, Getafe do and he'd be best staying there.

didz

Good player with high potential for a 20 year old. Has pace and power in abundance and would be a good signing for around £30m imo.
Isn't the going rate for 20-year-olds with potential around about the £72m-mark these days?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Isn't the going rate for 20-year-olds with potential around about the £72m-mark these days?
I would say the going rate for potential depends on the club you target potential from.

didz

I would say the going rate for potential depends on the club you target potential from.
Our own activity over the years might suggest that "for" would be a more appropriate preposition in that sentence.

In all seriousness though, would a move not be a bit early for him? I don't think he's had a year of senior football yet, and with the forward line as it is, I'm not sure how well-placed he would be to help the first team.

I definitely need to see more of him, but I'd generally be cautious of paying solely for potential at the moment.

JohnnyLaw

Our own activity over the years might suggest that "for" would be a more appropriate preposition in that sentence.

In all seriousness though, would a move not be a bit early for him? I don't think he's had a year of senior football yet, and with the forward line as it is, I'm not sure how well-placed he would be to help the first team.

I definitely need to see more of him, but I'd generally be cautious of paying solely for potential at the moment.
Considering they sold Gakpo in the middle of the season last year for 40m€ there should be a precedent for us to follow.

This is his second season season playing football at senior level. Physically he looks stronger than either Antony or Amad and if he comes in he’ll have Antony and/or Greenwood to rotate with so he’ll be fine in the short term IMO.

aeh1991

Based on stats and clips, he looks like a good player, but because of Antony and Gakpo I have my reservations. We definitely can't afford another RW flop. Also I think a CB has more priority since we've seen that Garnacho can also be a solution on the right.

Bojan Djordjic

Based on stats and clips, he looks like a good player, but because of Antony and Gakpo I have my reservations. We definitely can't afford another RW flop. Also I think a CB has more priority since we've seen that Garnacho can also be a solution on the right.
I would say hold the thought on Garnacho until we play a team with a low block. Villa played into our hands a bit with their tactics. Still think we will need a winger with goals in them as none of our attackers should be starting week in and week out based on form/output.

aeh1991

I would say hold the thought on Garnacho until we play a team with a low block. Villa played into our hands a bit with their tactics. Still think we will need a winger with goals in them as none of our attackers should be starting week in and week out based on form/output.
fair, but is Bakayoko able to adapt his play to the EPL? So far Kudus is the only Eredivisie RW I can think of who could do that in the last two years. Gakpo and Madueke dominated in the Dutch league, yet haven't impressed here. Antony also looked much better than the fraud he's turned out to be. If we go back further, Dusan Tadic who was an average EPL level winger for Southhampton, became a goal scoring monster at Ajax. From the profile he looks like a really strong RW, but the jump to a top club might be too big.

JuriM

We have Shea Lacey coming from academy & should look someone like Ousmane Camara from Thiblisi Dinamo in Georgia. There aren't many "real deal" proven players out there who wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

JohnnyLaw

fair, but is Bakayoko able to adapt his play to the EPL? So far Kudus is the only Eredivisie RW I can think of who could do that in the last two years. Gakpo and Madueke dominated in the Dutch league, yet haven't impressed here. Antony also looked much better than the fraud he's turned out to be. If we go back further, Dusan Tadic who was an average EPL level winger for Southhampton, became a goal scoring monster at Ajax. From the profile he looks like a really strong RW, but the jump to a top club might be too big.
Madueke to be fair to him has had his development hampered alot by injuries and maybe joining a bigger team right after a long term injury wasn’t the best for him.

What speaks for Bakayoko is that he’s rapid, ambidextrous and a dribbling menace.
For the likes of Gakpo and Depay productivity is/was such a big part of their game whereas I think Bakayoko has the ability to affect games more, even when he’s not scoring or assisting.

Antony has too many deficiensies in his game that the Ajax team managed to mask. I think Bakayoko with his strenghts should be alot more independant than that.

Ludens the Red

Just sign Olise. We’d have a free run at him too as everybody else has players in that position. Except maybe Newcastle.. but yeah he wouldn’t be obscenely expensive and is just getting better and better.
Also I remember when we signed Antony and a lot of people were saying how there was a lack of good right wingers around so we had to pay premium for him :lol: now there’s about 6/7 of them performing at a high level atm.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think RW may not be our top priority, I would buy a central midfielder, backup striker and a right back ahead of another winger. Even though Antony sucks, he can play 2nd fiddle with Amad, Pellestri and Garnacho starting ahead. These 3 guys will gather more experience and continue to improve.

The Irish Connection

I've not watched him play but Johan Bakayoko's stats are ridiculous.

https://fbref.com/en/players/0caa2fd4/Johan-Bakayoko

I heard there's someone called Mason Greenwood who isn't too bad either.
Fixing the front 3 has to be the priority. A top striker to share the load with Hojlund and a right winger.

I think bakayoko would be a great signing, especially for the price of around €40m that’s been mentioned. In the top 10% for takeons, progressiv carries etc.

Olise would be class too, but Palace would probably ask for 80m or more.

Sell Antony and Sancho.

Walters_19_MuFc

Fixing the front 3 has to be the priority. A top striker to share the load with Hojlund and a right winger.

I think bakayoko would be a great signing, especially for the price of around €40m that’s been mentioned. In the top 10% for takeons, progressiv carries etc.

Olise would be class too, but Palace would probably ask for 80m or more.

Sell Antony and Sancho.
Agreed. I'm a big fan of Neto, too, but he seems a bit injury prone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd definitely have a look at Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth, looks a great profile: English, great attitude to work his way back after set backs, direct, a goal threat and I like that he's physically imposing as a winger, standing at 6ft.

berbasloth4

It’s hard nowadays to find wingers who enjoy being unselfish, they will but the work in but also look to serve the striker before feeding their own glory or run with their heads down and lose the ball.

I do believe in Jarrod Bowen he is one of the rareities. Plays where he is told with no fuss, works his socks off, looks to get crosses in and chips in with goals himself.

I think Olise quite similar in that way too and good set piece taker and our success from set pieces direct and indirect over last few seasons have been horrendous.

But never worry we will probably sign nathan redmond on loan or Di Maria back for big retirement payday

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd definitely have a look at Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth, looks a great profile: English, great attitude to work his way back after set backs, direct, a goal threat and I like that he's physically imposing as a winger, standing at 6ft.
What kind of setbacks? I really don't want us to sign injury prone players unless they're absolute bargains. More than enough injuries this year already.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What kind of setbacks? I really don't want us to sign injury prone players unless they're absolute bargains. More than enough injuries this year already.
Oh sorry that's not what I meant. He went to Swansea from Derby where he broke through and got loaned out eventually to Plymouth - where he was integral to their title charge. Swansea decided to recall him mid season and then just didn't really play him. He's now gone back to Plymouth (full transfer) and got 12 goals in the champ with them. Despite the disruption, he's just continued to improve at a rate of of knots. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a trajectory like Ollie Watkins.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Oh sorry that's not what I meant. He went to Swansea from Derby where he broke through and got loaned out eventually to Plymouth - where he was integral to their title charge. Swansea decided to recall him mid season and then just didn't really play him. He's now gone back to Plymouth (full transfer) and got 12 goals in the champ with them. Despite the disruption, he's just continued to improve at a rate of of knots. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a trajectory like Ollie Watkins.
12 goals from the wing in half a season is very impressive!

mikeyt

I follow Argyle closely. Whittaker is a real player and I can’t see him staying for that long if he continues on this trajectory. He’s got a cracker of a shot and I think half his goals from memory have been outside the box. That being said he loves to cut in from the right and doesn’t have that burst of pace that I think we’re lacking. A potentially really good player, not sure he’d ever get to Watkins’ level though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I follow Argyle closely. Whittaker is a real player and I can’t see him staying for that long if he continues on this trajectory. He’s got a cracker of a shot and I think half his goals from memory have been outside the box. That being said he loves to cut in from the right and doesn’t have that burst of pace that I think we’re lacking. A potentially really good player, not sure he’d ever get to Watkins’ level though.
Ah ok, wasn't sure about his pace, but he seems very technical and a real goal threat. Definitely one to watch out for when it comes to the end of the season and where he ends up.
12 goals from the wing in half a season is very impressive!
As @mikeyt says as well, they tend to be very good goals as well.

Ágætis Byrjun

Leon Bailey. Was an admirer of both him and Tah when they were in Bayer. Both stagnated a bit for a few years and Bailey had to deal with injuries as well. Both kinda redeemed themselves this year due to good coaching and due to the fact that development of footballers are often not linear.

doughole

The last really good right winger for the club was bought by SAF Nani in 2007.

That tells its own story.