The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

Helder-Carvalho

For sure a balance! The issue this season for us has been conversion. We create many chances but don’t score many. For example last night we should have won maybe 6-0. Pedro Gonçalves alone could have had a hattrick.

I believe up until Match Day 6 of the CL we had more goals scored in the CL then the league. Seems like our finishing has been off in the league.

Defensively we are very hard to break down. Only Ajax split us open granted we had key players missing in the first game and our bench was playing in the second game.

Sporting this year are better and more mature then last year for sure.

** 27 scored and 5 conceded in the league this season in15 games.
AVB conceded 3 in the entire league season and no losses.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
When does a rise become a downfall??

Now 6 points behind Porto.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
When does a rise become a downfall??

Now 6 points behind Porto.
That’s harsh. Gotta remember Sporting has won 1 league title in 19 years. We were not going to start winning titles back to back.

However if we can win the other 2 domestic cups and secure 2nd place (automatic CL) as well as us having got to the R16 of the CL I would argue it would be a pretty dam good season.

Also this season we have been struck with both injuries and multiple Covid surges. It’s weird being 6 points behind Porto when we are a Better team.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Cafe is good at hyping up the wrong managers. The popular managers on here, i would avoid. However I don't watch most of amorim games, so I can't really have an opinion of him.
Who are the right ones?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That’s harsh. Gotta remember Sporting has won 1 league title in 19 years. We were not going to start winning titles back to back.

However if we can win the other 2 domestic cups and secure 2nd place (automatic CL) as well as us having got to the R16 of the CL I would argue it would be a pretty dam good season.

Also this season we have been struck with both injuries and multiple Covid surges. It’s weird being 6 points behind Porto when we are a Better team.
Yeah it's harsh, he's still doing a good job.
Porto are not great so I feel this is the best chance for Sporting, be a missed opportunity if they don't take it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sporting squad wise still lacks depth when compared to Benfica and a bit to Porto, even though Porto has relied on youth players this season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Who are the right ones?
Definitely not what the mass majority wants, but the individuals that offer great insight into why a selected manager is good enough to be worthy of praise. Zidane was the popular choice on here not so long ago and I m quite sure, he would not have done well because of what I saw of his second spell at Madrid and his coaching ability. Typically when I see a poll choice on here, the opinion of the majority seems to be wrong. It doesn't happen all the time, but I have noticed it quite a few time. Especially during the Ole Era when fans would say he was worth keeping despite the obvious flaw only a select few saw. Amorim hasn't gathered a cult following like Marco rose or nagelsman yet, but I feel like unless he makes a move to a more competitive league and accomplish things there, he might end up being another villa boas rather than a mourinho.

lloyd2wayne

Definitely not what the mass majority wants, but the individuals that offer great insight into why a selected manager is good enough to be worthy of praise. Zidane was the popular choice on here not so long ago and I m quite sure, he would not have done well because of what I saw of his second spell at Madrid and his coaching ability. Typically when I see a poll choice on here, the opinion of the majority seems to be wrong. It doesn't happen all the time, but I have noticed it quite a few time. Especially during the Ole Era when fans would say he was worth keeping despite the obvious flaw only a select few saw. Amorim hasn't gathered a cult following like Marco rose or nagelsman yet, but I feel like unless he makes a move to a more competitive league and accomplish things there, he might end up being another villa boas rather than a mourinho.
Avoided the intended question completely. Anyways we all know your answer

SportingCP96

Supports
2-1 vs Benfica in the league cup final. Back to back league cup titles for Sporting and 3 in a row for Amorim (1 with Braga and 2 with Sporting)

Pedro Porro makes such a difference in this team.Sadly we have not had our team at 100% all season. With that being said with Porto losing Luis Diaz maybe they slip Up and Sporting get back into the title race!

Another trophy for Sporting under Amorim and they are continuing to build that winning mentality and getting used to winning trophies.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Zidane is great, but he would never manage in England, he doesn't speak english at advanced level and he was never interested in the job.

SportingCP96

Supports
Maybe a point of Interest from English fans but Sporting have signed Marcus Edwards from Vitoria for 7.5M along with loaning and trading some assets that had no value to us.

Islam Slimani is also rumored to be close to returning which would be two massive coups for this Sporting side.

Classical Mechanic

Maybe a point of Interest from English fans but Sporting have signed Marcus Edwards from Vitoria for 7.5M along with loaning and trading some assets that had no value to us.

Islam Slimani is also rumored to be close to returning which would be two massive coups for this Sporting side.
Great move for Edwards. I’m guessing he’s looking at a bench role? Good player to watch when he turns up.

SportingCP96

Supports
Today is quite literally a final. A game worth 6 points. Sporting have not won away to Porto since

FC Porto vs Sporting

If Porto win they go 9 points clear (10) due to head to head and pretty much seal the title and become unofficial champions.

A Sporting win puts us 3 points behind and right back into the title race.

If we win this game I might be tempted to tattoo Amorim name on my ass.

I will say this though, for the first time ever heading into a game of such importance I feel…calm. I truly believe we will win today. I am CONVINCED we will win today.

*See all of you in a couple of hours for my rant:lol:

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Why do we call Sporting Clube de Portugal, Sporting Lisbon in the country?

Graveyard

Can't help but feel embarrassed while watching showings like this. Are these professional athletes? It even looked like the staff of both teams were stirring things up even more. What a bunch of amateurs.

LARulz

Getting a lot of attention today - his stock will go up one way or another I feel..... unless her gets battered 6-0 or something of course

Dolf

Can anyone post his quotes on Pep? Embarrassing… don’t want him as manager here.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Petition to amend the thread title with "and fall" after the word "rise".

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What happened here? As a manager that looked up to mourinho, you would expect them to have a better defense.

Can someone check on @SportingCP96 or @Sporting1988 to see if they are doing well? This is the reality of football and as a small club like sporting after a high of their season, it must be hard being bought down to reality

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A little unfair to say
Getting smashed for 5 even against City is going to be weighted heavily against him for a while now. He wont get many big matches with Sporting to prove his worth.

Maybe he needs to move to a mid table La Liga or PL club first?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Getting smashed for 5 even against City is going to be weighted heavily against him for a while now. He wont get many big matches with Sporting to prove his worth.

Maybe he needs to move to a mid table La Liga or PL club first?
Nagelsmann got smashed for five as well, by Solskjaer no less, and look where it got him. ;)

I doubt clubs will reduce him to this game, the ones with proper scouting anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nagelsmann got smashed for five as well, by Solskjaer no less, and look where it got him. ;)

I doubt clubs will reduce him to this game, the ones with proper scouting anyway.
Very true. Nagalsmann was very much the toast of the Bundasliga which helped him though. I feel like managing in Portugal won't get you recognized as much.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Nagelsmann earned a lot of credit back by how he responded to that loss in the next fixture at their ground, if Sporting give a good account of themselves then I doubt people will hold it against Amorim too much.

Ludens the Red

Didn’t watch the game but I assumed Sporting would be naive and play their normal game and thus get smashed.