The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Very true. Nagalsmann was very much the toast of the Bundasliga which helped him though. I feel like managing in Portugal won't get you recognized as much.
He's won the league with Sporting and at the very least made it into the knockout round at Dortmund's expense. Every club in Europe knows his name already.
The question is whether they like his approach and think he can make the switch to another country/language. I doubt one game against City, which they were always supposed to lose, will make any real difference.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's won the league with Sporting and at the very least made it into the knockout round at Dortmund's expense. Every club in Europe knows his name already.
The question is whether they like his approach and think he can make the switch to another country/language. I doubt one game against City, which they were always supposed to lose, will make any real difference.
Yeah very true

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Getting smashed for 5 even against City is going to be weighted heavily against him for a while now. He wont get many big matches with Sporting to prove his worth.

Maybe he needs to move to a mid table La Liga or PL club first?
If that’s the case I think continuing the project at Sporting makes more sense. Breaking the dominance of thr other two in Portugal and consistently getting Sporting to the CL is much more attractive then coaching wolves.

Also worth mentioning he is 36… and this is his first time ever in the CL. Their are Learning curves. For example he faces Man city or anyone as if Sporting can take these guys on head to head which is why you have scorelines like last night. That is something he needs to change as well as being open to trying to change his formation depending on the opponent.

However staying at Sporting is the best decision. Look at how Ten Haag has done it at Ajax. Build something here at Sporting it’s the perfect project..

SportingCP96

Supports
What happened here? As a manager that looked up to mourinho, you would expect them to have a better defense.

Can someone check on @SportingCP96 or @Sporting1988 to see if they are doing well? This is the reality of football and as a small club like sporting after a high of their season, it must be hard being bought down to reality
Small club? They are bigger then the club they just lost too.

SportingCP96

Supports
Some fans really are oblivious to anything outside the PL.
It’s ignorance at its finest. Is PSG a big club now too? Go look at the accomplishments of PSG before the take over. City is no different.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It’s ignorance at its finest. Is PSG a big club now too? Go look at the accomplishments of PSG before the take over. City is no different.
Some people dont look further back than recent performances in Europe/PL...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Financially/commercially small club. Jesus, some people jump to conclusions. I understand sporting has a bigger history than city. Unbelievable how perspective is almost nonexistent unless you spell it out on here
It was quite obviously a deliberately provocative post. You can hardly now cry about the reaction when its exactly what you went looking for.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It was quite obviously a deliberately provocative post. You can hardly now cry about the reaction when its exactly what you went looking for.
How was it deliberately provocative? I was being empathetic for sporting?? I was implying how unfair it was for them to humbled after the high of having a good season

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
How was it deliberately provocative? I was being empathetic for sporting?? I was implying how unfair it was for them to humbled after the high of having a good season
If that was you being empathetic, I hope you don't need those skills for work :lol:

NoPace

Didn’t watch the game but I assumed Sporting would be naive and play their normal game and thus get smashed.
I don't watch them often but watched the first 40 minutes close. They sat back and played 5-4-1 and the result was that City got to half easily (no pressing against) and just went wide of them in the buildup and hurt them out wide. Foden didn't get up to much dropping deep, but they had 3 CBs doing nothing and needed more help out wide. Was surprised he didn't switch to 4 at the back to get another body in midfield. I think they could have stayed in the game if they'd played a 4-5-1.

LARulz

I still really like this guy and my family in Portugal rate him highly (even the non Sporting fans)

Either way, seems like he's being lined up for PSG. If that's true, one of the criticism's about appointing him was his lack of experience at the top level and now (if true and he goes) he would be jumping into an absolute circus - if he can survive that without the club and players of that level eating him up then that puts that argument away to some degree.

I imagine Dortmund might be looking at him but heard no links and just putting 2 and 2 together

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
To early to do a 'fall of Amorim' thread yet?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lost their two starting CMs to be fair, who were probably the best players in the team, and haven’t been able to replace either. How much of their recruitment is down to him and not the club? I feel like in the Portuguese league there’s a lot of third parties (Mendes et al) who massively influence windows a lot.

Champ

Lost their two starting CMs to be fair, who were probably the best players in the team, and haven’t been able to replace either. How much of their recruitment is down to him and not the club? I feel like in the Portuguese league there’s a lot of third parties (Mendes et al) who massively influence windows a lot.
For sure,

But it happens frequently at Portuguese clubs, Sporting are no exception, their business is based around buying players developing them and selling them off for big profit. No doubt the three big departures left a mark though.

Very poor start to the league so far, be interesting to see how they fare against Frankfurt tonight considering Sporting have spent double the amount on new players that Frankfurt have.

SportingCP96

Supports
For sure,

But it happens frequently at Portuguese clubs, Sporting are no exception, their business is based around buying players developing them and selling them off for big profit. No doubt the three big departures left a mark though.

Very poor start to the league so far, be interesting to see how they fare against Frankfurt tonight considering Sporting have spent double the amount on new players that Frankfurt have.
We have had the toughest schedule to start the season so far but it has been a disappointment. The board promised him they would not sell Nunes and they fecked his whole season by selling the most important player on the team.

Now It’s a short team (which is his fault for being naive).

He will figure it out and his first 2 seasons have been full of success. Now with his back against the way will be interesting to see how he does. We won last weekend but another loss to Frankfurt could bring us back to the start.

Worth noting Sporting have an awful record in Germany. The squad is worse then Last season and I suspect we end in 4th in our CL group.

SportingCP96

Supports
He has been pretty clear that he is a big part of recruitment. He stated in his last press that if a player does not fit his system of play he will not buy them, that is his reasoning for him not buying a striker which Sporting desperate need (to me this is stubborn and naive). He is very hard headed and fully believes in his philosophy. At the moment he seems to be all in on a fluid attack with no striker.

SportingCP96

Supports
We purchased Alexanderpoulos who is the biggest Greek talent for the midfield along with having Ugarte who is one of the biggest talents on the squad. The attack of Pote Edwards and Trincao is also talented and young so their are many high potential players on the team.

St Juste Was a great coup.

Despite this Sporting drastically failed in planning for the season and despite the loss of Nunes being a betrayal by the board I also have to blame Amorim.

This along with his stubbornness in changing tactics and formations is frustrating.

He is still young and I have full faith in him, his track record at Sporting and Braga is worth backing but as I said above this season will be a hug test to see how he reacts to his worst start in his managerial career.

Champ

We have had the toughest schedule to start the season so far but it has been a disappointment. The board promised him they would not sell Nunes and they fecked his whole season by selling the most important player on the team.

Now It’s a short team (which is his fault for being naive).

He will figure it out and his first 2 seasons have been full of success. Now with his back against the way will be interesting to see how he does. We won last weekend but another loss to Frankfurt could bring us back to the start.

Worth noting Sporting have an awful record in Germany. The squad is worse then Last season and I suspect we end in 4th in our CL group.
Where would you be happy in finishing in the league this season?

My Porto supporting friend was revelling in the poor start last weekend, at least until the Rio Ave game! :lol:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We purchased Alexanderpoulos who is the biggest Greek talent for the midfield along with having Ugarte who is one of the biggest talents on the squad. The attack of Pote Edwards and Trincao is also talented and young so their are many high potential players on the team.

St Juste Was a great coup.

Despite this Sporting drastically failed in planning for the season and despite the loss of Nunes being a betrayal by the board I also have to blame Amorim.

This along with his stubbornness in changing tactics and formations is frustrating.

He is still young and I have full faith in him, his track record at Sporting and Braga is worth backing but as I said above this season will be a hug test to see how he reacts to his worst start in his managerial career.
Please tell me his nickname is “Derp”.

SportingCP96

Supports
Where would you be happy in finishing in the league this season?

My Porto supporting friend was revelling in the poor start last weekend, at least until the Rio Ave game! :lol:
If I am not mistake 3rd place gives us a CL playoffs spot. I would not be happy to finish their but it is the best we can hope for.

A top 2 finish is already out the question as it is very hard to overturn 6 point and 8 point deficits in Portugal.

For this season to be an kind of “success” Amorim needs to go for the domestic cup double and capture the Taça de Portugal which has alluded him.

With how we started I would be ecstatic to finish in second place to guarantee the CL money up front which would be huge in continuing our development as a club.

Champ

If I am not mistake 3rd place gives us a CL playoffs spot. I would not be happy to finish their but it is the best we can hope for.

A top 2 finish is already out the question as it is very hard to overturn 6 point and 8 point deficits in Portugal.

For this season to be an kind of “success” Amorim needs to go for the domestic cup double and capture the Taça de Portugal which has alluded him.

With how we started I would be ecstatic to finish in second place to guarantee the CL money up front which would be huge in continuing our development as a club.
Third is definitely achievable for you guys, just depends if Braga can keep up their scintillating early season form!

Porto are hit and miss this season so far, and Benfica are getting everything handed to them it seems!

I think Amorim will do well to land you a trophy this season.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Cruising 3-0 up against the Europa League holders away from home in what is a terrific start to their Champions League campaign.

Who will be the Premier League outfit to take a punt on Amorim, then? Is he a viable candidate to take over from Guardiola, I wonder…

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Cruising 3-0 up against the Europa League holders away from home in what is a terrific start to their Champions League campaign.

Who will be the Premier League outfit to take a punt on Amorim, then? Is he a viable candidate to take over from Guardiola, I wonder…
Doesn't really strike me as an all out offensive fella, perhaps atletico if they ever part ways with simeone?
An Italian team like juve or inter?

I think those suit him better.

SportingCP96

Supports
Doesn't really strike me as an all out offensive fella, perhaps atletico if they ever part ways with simeone?
An Italian team like juve or inter?

I think those suit him better.
Sporting have had a top 2 defensive record in the league the past 2 season but started the season conceding left right and center.

Last 2 games away from home clean sheets and you can see he changed something in training.

He is very stubborn with his ideas but he’s a dam good coach and very young.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Sporting have had a top 2 defensive record in the league the past 2 season but started the season conceding left right and center.

Last 2 games away from home clean sheets and you can see he changed something in training.

He is very stubborn with his ideas but he’s a dam good coach and very young.
I definitely agree he has a bright future ahead of himself but I doubt city is going to be the ideal next step for his career.

SportingCP96

Supports
I definitely agree he has a bright future ahead of himself but I doubt city is going to be the ideal next step for his career.
I agree, I don’t think he will be going to City. At least not right after Sporting.

SportingCP96

Supports
Not for nothing but I feel like Chelsea is a really good option for him….

Champ

He's the next Atletico coach, based at n nothing but a hunch.

Be interesting to see if they take this form into the weekend against a surprise high flying minnow.

SportingCP96

Supports
He's the next Atletico coach, based at n nothing but a hunch.

Be interesting to see if they take this form into the weekend against a surprise high flying minnow.
Has no choice but to win, Sporting can not afford to drop more points.

SportingCP96

Supports
And here we go, Chelsea owner reportedly has spoken directly to Ruben Amorim and holds him in high regard

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And here we go, Chelsea owner reportedly has spoken directly to Ruben Amorim and holds him in high regard
I think it was a quick conversation with Sporting and Amorim to gauge the situation. Same with Poch. The first choice was always Potter and now that he's accepted the job, will likely be announced this evening or tomorrow morning. He would have been an interesting option for sure, though I can't say I've watched that many Sporting games to know exactly what he's about.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think it was a quick conversation with Sporting and Amorim to gauge the situation. Same with Poch. The first choice was always Potter and now that he's accepted the job, will likely be announced this evening or tomorrow morning. He would have been an interesting option for sure, though I can't say I've watched that many Sporting games to know exactly what he's about.
I wonder if he sees Potter as a long term coach or someone to fill the gap until the summer when Amorim or someone else of interest is available