The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I'm very impressed with Sportings's progress. Only a few years ago they were in bits with players leaving en-masse and fans physically attacking players. Have there also been improvements at levels above the manager/coach as it seems that someone in the hierarchy had serious balls to throw out 10M for such an inexperienced coach?

They way they took out Dortmund especially caught the eye as Marco Rose is very highly regarded, although they do seem to struggle a bit without Haaland.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I'm very impressed with Sportings's progress. Only a few years ago they were in bits with players leaving en-masse and fans physically attacking players. Have there also been improvements at levels above the manager/coach as it seems that someone in the hierarchy had serious balls to throw out 10M for such an inexperienced coach? or maybe it was just extreme desperation ?

They way they took out Dortmund especially caught the eye as Marco Rose is very highly regarded, although they do seem to struggle a bit without Haaland.

mods, sorry feel free to get rid of this , i posted twice somehow !!

bakalhau

I actually wrote this in another thread I think, I'd love to see this dude with us in Manchester. Highly speculative play, but I think he's the real deal.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Well, I thought it was strange for him to refuse a very good offer from RB Leipzig a couple of weeks ago, but seing those rumours about being linked with Manchester United it makes me think somehow they have some logic behind it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Well, I thought it was strange for him to refuse a very good offer from RB Leipzig a couple of weeks ago, but seing those rumours about being linked with Manchester United it makes me think somehow they have some logic behind it.
I just think the RB move makes zero sense half way through the season.

If it was the summer who knows.

SportingCP96

Supports
I actually wrote this in another thread I think, I'd love to see this dude with us in Manchester. Highly speculative play, but I think he's the real deal.
Another win and clean sheet today.

If we did not concede 90th minute vs Benfica it would have been our 6th game in a row in the league without conceding.

1 goal conceded in the last 5 league games.

5 goals conceded in 15 league games.

Defensively we are superb.

ti vu

I assume it mean with Ragnick's blessing? Ragnick is rumored to be promised with authority before taking this interim for half a season. Otherwise, it would be another dressing room unrest with players' power versus current managerial authority.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Knocking City out the CL would certainly increase his chances of getting the job.
Chances are slim. However if he did that all of Europe would be at Sporting doorstep with blank checks…

NoPace

If we did not concede 90th minute vs Benfica it would have been our 6th game in a row in the league without conceding.

Is he wedded to 3 at the back? It's tough to see that working for us. We're one DM and an RB away from a decent looking first XI, whereas if we went 3 at the back we'd need those 2 players and another central defender and maybe a LWB so Shaw can play LCB.

Conversely, he seems like a snug fit at PSG, where they have Diallo-Kimpembe-Marquinhos at CB, proper wingbacks in Mendes (who of course he coached in that role) and Hakimi, and it's easy to envision Messi and Neymar behind whatever #9 replaces Mbappe and in midfield Verrati paired with a workhorse like Gueye or a new signing, maybe he brings Palhina with him.

SportingCP96

Supports
Is he wedded to 3 at the back? It's tough to see that working for us. We're one DM and an RB away from a decent looking first XI, whereas if we went 3 at the back we'd need those 2 players and another central defender and maybe a LWB so Shaw can play LCB.

Conversely, he seems like a snug fit at PSG, where they have Diallo-Kimpembe-Marquinhos at CB, proper wingbacks in Mendes (who of course he coached in that role) and Hakimi, and it's easy to envision Messi and Neymar behind whatever #9 replaces Mbappe and in midfield Verrati paired with a workhorse like Gueye or a new signing, maybe he brings Palhina with him.
He loves rhe 3 atb. I don’t see him switching up anytime soon .

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Makes little to no sense at this point

Just too risky he might end up like another Vilas boas

Also his style doesn't match where we want to seemingly go with under ragnick

Seems like a smart lad so I think he'll make the right decision

Dourtmound sounds like a good place to start enough resources to challenge byern for the title but no too high of an expectation

Mid table clubs in prem aren't very good as a jumping point he might stagnate seeing as its almost impossible to challenge for the title with how rich the top 6 are so its more than likely to just end up look bad

Psg is another but he must win the CL or gets the sack

SportingCP96

Supports
Makes little to no sense at this point

Just too risky he might end up like another Vilas boas

Also his style doesn't match where we want to seemingly go with under ragnick

Seems like a smart lad so I think he'll make the right decision

Dourtmound sounds like a good place to start enough resources to challenge byern for the title but no too high of an expectation

Mid table clubs in prem aren't very good as a jumping point he might stagnate seeing as its almost impossible to challenge for the title with how rich the top 6 are so its more than likely to just end up look bad

Psg is another but he must win the CL or gets the sack
Chelsea, RBL,BVB, Dortmund ,Inter, all clubs I can see him having lots of success in. Arsenal as well. He would do very well developing those young lads

United won’t buy into his style.

Nonetheless the only correct decision is to stay in Sporting for a couple more years. He is ONLY 36! It’s absurd. Look at Erik tem haag and how long he’s been at Ajax.

As long as Sporting keep matching his ambition I truly believe he’s trying to build something at Sporting.

E-mal

Dont want him at United. Why cant we just get ETH, Enrique or Naglesman and be done with it. His style of play will come at odds with how we want to see our team play.

Remember the geese

I'm far from an expert on him, but from what I understand, he is a pragmatic/defensive manager. Mourinho Part 2. I'd much prefer ten Hag. Following that, possibly a punt on Marcelo Gallardo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Feel like people are judging him by his passport.

He is winning things with sporting Lisbon which isn't a minor thing as it may sound.

Apparently they won the title after 19 years with him.

SportingCP96

Supports
Feel like people are judging him by his passport.

He is winning things with sporting Lisbon which isn't a minor thing as it may sound.

Apparently they won the title after 19 years with him.
- Won the title for the first time in 19 years
- R16 of CL only the second time in the modern era
- Fastest Portuguese manager to 50 wins (bested Mourinho record)
- Lowest number of goals conceded to start a season (we have already played Porto, Benfica, and Braga in this stretch)

If he somehow won the title again with Sporting it would be the first time in 64 years that Sporting win back to back title.

The work he is doing at the club is nothing short of amazing.

As I have reiterated he is only 36…If I was him in staying st Sporting for the next couple of years and getting more experience in title challenges and in Europe against the best of the best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
- Won the title for the first time in 19 years
- R16 of CL only the second time in the modern era
- Fastest Portuguese manager to 50 wins (bested Mourinho record)
- Lowest number of goals conceded to start a season (we have already played Porto, Benfica, and Braga in this stretch)

If he somehow won the title again with Sporting it would be the first time in 64 years that Sporting win back to back title.

The work he is doing at the club is nothing short of amazing.

As I have reiterated he is only 36…If I was him in staying st Sporting for the next couple of years and getting more experience in title challenges and in Europe against the best of the best.
Yeah he does seem like a manager that is coming on good. I've heard he is a manager who has set up good pressing in his teams so it should help post Rangnick tactics at United. I've heard about this special type of positioning and movement he sets up in his team to open up the defences and I do think something like this can help the low block United constantly face.

I wouldn't mind him as our next manager instead of someone like Pochettino- yet like you do, i think it might be a bit too quick.

Feel like I'd rather see him in another league see if he can grow, adapt and draw some similar results before we make him ours. Maybe whilst we give someone like Ten Hag his shot in a tougher league first.

But ultimately we can't really tell managers to line up in a que and wait to manage United as they have their own life to conquer.

The One reason I can see it happening is because United is a Portuguese heavy club - with arguably its more important players being Portuguese. Sounds basic and I never believed in it before- but when Chelsea went for Tuchel to try and get the best out of the average performances of Havertz and Timo Werner, maybe even Rusiger, I did realise it could be more possible.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he wins the league title back to back, surely re only way is down after that? The likelihood of him winning it a third time would be insanely low. I’d be looking at a stepping stone club that fit the style of football he implements so he can be there for a few seasons before approaching the big boy table.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

What about going forward? Is it one thing priority over the other or is there a balance?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It would be nice to get someone on the rise for once. It feels like we have been constantly chasing the past since Ferguson left.

It would be nice to try someone doing great things whose best years are clearly in front of him.

SportingCP96

Supports
If he wins the league title back to back, surely re only way is down after that? The likelihood of him winning it a third time would be insanely low. I’d be looking at a stepping stone club that fit the style of football he implements so he can be there for a few seasons before approaching the big boy table.
Theoretically yea right? He would have won back to back titles with Sporting which would be historic but even if he does not win he can continue the project and play in Europe etc. I think I can see him stay his contract and thrn moving to another league after that. It depends though.

SportingCP96

Supports
What about going forward? Is it one thing priority over the other or is there a balance?
For sure a balance! The issue this season for us has been conversion. We create many chances but don’t score many. For example last night we should have won maybe 6-0. Pedro Gonçalves alone could have had a hattrick.

I believe up until Match Day 6 of the CL we had more goals scored in the CL then the league. Seems like our finishing has been off in the league.

Defensively we are very hard to break down. Only Ajax split us open granted we had key players missing in the first game and our bench was playing in the second game.

Sporting this year are better and more mature then last year for sure.

** 27 scored and 5 conceded in the league this season in15 games.

SportingCP96

Supports
Superb post. After reading your summary my conclusion is GET HIM IN ! Hope the Sporting boys can deliver a title soon
Appreciate it mate! Would be fantastic if we somehow won the title back to back!

We lost Nuno Mendes this season and I expect us to have our best players picked apart every summer as the squad has a lot of young talent.

SportingCP96

Supports
It would be nice to get someone on the rise for once. It feels like we have been constantly chasing the past since Ferguson left.

It would be nice to try someone doing great things whose best years are clearly in front of him.
If Amorim somehow knocks out City (chances are very low, I expect us to get battered) then I don’t think he stays another season at Sporting as I believe many clubs will be lining up to take him from us.

We need an rvn

Dont want him at United. Why cant we just get ETH, Enrique or Naglesman and be done with it. His style of play will come at odds with how we want to see our team play.
well Bayern just paid €25m to acquire him as a coach over the summer, I very much doubt he is available.

But I agree that I don't want Amorim. ETH all the way for me and while we're at it clear some of the prima donna's in the squad too. Only want players who want to play for the coach and believe in his vision at the club

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Chelsea, RBL,BVB, Dortmund ,Inter, all clubs I can see him having lots of success in. Arsenal as well. He would do very well developing those young lads

United won’t buy into his style.

Nonetheless the only correct decision is to stay in Sporting for a couple more years. He is ONLY 36! It’s absurd. Look at Erik tem haag and how long he’s been at Ajax.

As long as Sporting keep matching his ambition I truly believe he’s trying to build something at Sporting.
Chelsea are pretty much the epitome of high risk high reward he still doesn't have the pedigree to command everlasting respect so anything other then success will mean he forever be damaged goods so just doesn't seem like a wise choice

But yeah pretty much agree with everything you said i think trying to build dynasty over there at Portugal seems like the best choice it'll grow his resume as well whilst being relatively low risk

AneRu

This. I think it's more important to get someone on the up, who is still to reach the top of their game and have them achieving that here than to go for coaches who have failed elsewhere or who clearly look like they on the downward trajectory. So its him or Ten Hag for us.

Another thing is that his tactics, though more on the conservative side might be easier to install here than another go at trying the Ajax way without the necessary infrastructure or inherent philosophical appreciation of that style within and around the club. Would the influential ex-players like Scholes give Ten Hag the space to build up his team and imprint his style? Whereas Amorim's style won't need too much in the form of change and, if results go his way, they won't be room for critics to destabilize him.

Ten Hag's style is more dominant and would be more exciting but I just fear that United's senior management won't have enough hunger to back him all the way, which is something a coach married to a possession system needs the most.

SportingCP96

Supports
Shocking loss to Santa Clara last week means Sporting are now 3 points behind Porto which is dangerous.

IF Sporting go 6 points behind the league is over because in this league a 6 point lead all but guarantees the title.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A lot of games to play yet. 7 points are not enough if you look into the latest seasons.