The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

Withnail

The likes of these IFPs lads are absolutely tapped and a very dangerous development. People who may have had genuine grievances with government policy are being swept up on this hatred.

They've taken a bit of softly softly approach over the past few years and now we have government workers being harrassed entering their place of work, arson, and Gardai being attacked

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...ite-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-1618038.html

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The likes of these IFPs lads are absolutely tapped and a very dangerous development. People who may have had genuine grievances with government policy are being swept up on this hatred.

They've taken a bit of softly softly approach over the past few years and now we have government workers being harrassed entering their place of work, arson, and Gardai being attacked

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...ite-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-1618038.html
So many of the higher profile chaps have a history of violence. And yes they are sweeping people along. At the end of the day, as unfortunate as this is, the people being swept along have a vote, and while they may not carry the same threat of violence as individuals they are part of the problem. Research (yes, I know) shows that a far-right party can get elected with less than 15% of the voters being ideologically that far-right.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Right, yeah, that's pretty cut and dried.

The idea that there is a proactive 'Great Replacement' insane and fascinating.

Wiki on the The Great Replacement, the Irish version.

"A 2019 Lidl advertisement that featured a white Irish woman, her Afro-Brazilian partner and their mixed race son was targeted by former journalist Gemma O'Doherty as part of an attempt at a "Great Replacement". After facing online harassment the family decided to leave Ireland.[119][120][121] The "Great Replacement" has also been used in Ireland in opposition to direct provision centres, used to house asylum seekers.[122]

Writing in 2020, Richard Downes said that "Rather than seeing the increase in non-Irish people living and making their lives here as being a normal part of a modern European country, some of the new nationalists see it as a conspiracy to overwhelm Ireland with foreigners. For many of them the conspirators include the Irish government, NGOs, the EU and the UN. They believe that these organisations want to replace Irish people with brown and black people from abroad."[123]

The term "great replacement" was also used when the RTÉ News featured the three first babies born in 2020, born to Polish, Black and Indian mothers; journalist Fergus Finlay saying "I don't care about the vulgar abuse, but I really do believe that these hatemongers should be prosecuted when they incite others to hatred and violence against people whose only crime is their skin colour or religion. I find it hard to understand why the State hasn't acted already against these cruel ideologues who think they can say whatever they like under the banner of free speech. They may be small in number now, and on the surface they may just seem bonkers, but we've been here before. Political movements have been built on hatred of the other, and we know the damage they have caused."[124]

Garda Commissioner (national chief of police) Drew Harris spoke about far right groups in 2020, saying that "Irish groups [believing] in the great replacement theory" had plans "to disrupt key State institutions and infrastructure. This included Dublin Port, high profile shopping areas such as Grafton Street in Dublin, Dáil Éireann and Government departments."[125][126][127]

Some participants in the 2022–2023 Irish anti-immigration protests such as Hermann Kelly and Derek Blighe support a Great Replacement theory, as well as referring to the influx of immigrants as an "invasion" and a "plantation".[128][129]"
I know the family from the Lidl thing. It was revolting. Turned their world upside down.