The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

Withnail

The likes of these IFPs lads are absolutely tapped and a very dangerous development. People who may have had genuine grievances with government policy are being swept up on this hatred.

They've taken a bit of softly softly approach over the past few years and now we have government workers being harrassed entering their place of work, arson, and Gardai being attacked

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...ite-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-1618038.html

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The likes of these IFPs lads are absolutely tapped and a very dangerous development. People who may have had genuine grievances with government policy are being swept up on this hatred.

They've taken a bit of softly softly approach over the past few years and now we have government workers being harrassed entering their place of work, arson, and Gardai being attacked

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...ite-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-1618038.html
So many of the higher profile chaps have a history of violence. And yes they are sweeping people along. At the end of the day, as unfortunate as this is, the people being swept along have a vote, and while they may not carry the same threat of violence as individuals they are part of the problem. Research (yes, I know) shows that a far-right party can get elected with less than 15% of the voters being ideologically that far-right.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Right, yeah, that's pretty cut and dried.

The idea that there is a proactive 'Great Replacement' insane and fascinating.

Wiki on the The Great Replacement, the Irish version.

"A 2019 Lidl advertisement that featured a white Irish woman, her Afro-Brazilian partner and their mixed race son was targeted by former journalist Gemma O'Doherty as part of an attempt at a "Great Replacement". After facing online harassment the family decided to leave Ireland.[119][120][121] The "Great Replacement" has also been used in Ireland in opposition to direct provision centres, used to house asylum seekers.[122]

Writing in 2020, Richard Downes said that "Rather than seeing the increase in non-Irish people living and making their lives here as being a normal part of a modern European country, some of the new nationalists see it as a conspiracy to overwhelm Ireland with foreigners. For many of them the conspirators include the Irish government, NGOs, the EU and the UN. They believe that these organisations want to replace Irish people with brown and black people from abroad."[123]

The term "great replacement" was also used when the RTÉ News featured the three first babies born in 2020, born to Polish, Black and Indian mothers; journalist Fergus Finlay saying "I don't care about the vulgar abuse, but I really do believe that these hatemongers should be prosecuted when they incite others to hatred and violence against people whose only crime is their skin colour or religion. I find it hard to understand why the State hasn't acted already against these cruel ideologues who think they can say whatever they like under the banner of free speech. They may be small in number now, and on the surface they may just seem bonkers, but we've been here before. Political movements have been built on hatred of the other, and we know the damage they have caused."[124]

Garda Commissioner (national chief of police) Drew Harris spoke about far right groups in 2020, saying that "Irish groups [believing] in the great replacement theory" had plans "to disrupt key State institutions and infrastructure. This included Dublin Port, high profile shopping areas such as Grafton Street in Dublin, Dáil Éireann and Government departments."[125][126][127]

Some participants in the 2022–2023 Irish anti-immigration protests such as Hermann Kelly and Derek Blighe support a Great Replacement theory, as well as referring to the influx of immigrants as an "invasion" and a "plantation".[128][129]"
I know the family from the Lidl thing. It was revolting. Turned their world upside down.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Nice to see Justin Barrett has seemingly decided to put an end to any remaining ambiguities concerning his ‘alleged’ Nazi proclivities.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Extremes never end well for anyone. We went too far left and now the consequences are the pendulum is swinging the other way around to the extreme right.

Government should have more common sense and balance then we would hopefully not see these extremes.

Conor

Extremes never end well for anyone. We went too far left and now the consequences are the pendulum is swinging the other way around to the extreme right.

Government should have more common sense and balance then we would hopefully not see these extremes.
Too far left, where have you been living :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

When did this happen, from my perspective we are a neoliberal wet dream?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Jesus Christ, beanie hat man needs a good kicking.

There's a whole cohort of them.

The have legitimate anger but have no idea why or how to aim it. It's terrifying.

About to kick off in Dromahair in Leitrim and there are loads of post covid right-wing sinister hippies about that place,

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Too far left, where have you been living :lol:
Did we? Who is “we”?
1 - Ukranians getting free accommodation and the price of housing is soaring and the every day person can't afford to buy a house or even rent as a result of the housing situation.
2 - A complete failure of the immigration policy with illegal immigrants destroying their documentation and allowing stay in Ireland due to claiming asylum when in reality the vast majority are not running away from anything in their country just seeking a better life.

That's just 2 big things that I see that makes me think the country went towards the left with some of its policies.

Raven

1 - Ukranians getting free accommodation and the price of housing is soaring and the every day person can't afford to buy a house or even rent as a result of the housing situation.
2 - A complete failure of the immigration policy with illegal immigrants destroying their documentation and allowing stay in Ireland due to claiming asylum when in reality the vast majority are not running away from anything in their country just seeking a better life.

That's just 2 big things that I see that makes me think the country went towards the left with some of its policies.
Absolutely clueless then... Thanks your input.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Is it being too leftie that's caused the housing crisis? Genuinely asking you this.

We went too far left and now the consequences are the pendulum is swinging the other way around to the extreme right.
I understand your overall point, but this myth needs to die. The Left in Europe was destroyed a long time ago, and falling for the narrative that they're to blame for these problems only gives power to factions who have absolutely no interest in solving any of the problems I assume you're frustrated about.

It's the same all over Europe, and as long as people buy into this false left-right bs conjured up by the current elites whenever they want to mobilise frustrated people for their own ends, none of these things will be addressed.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ukranian refugees and the housing crisis are not related. Even remotely.

Just so you know, 'the left' are the ones who want to tax the rich and build more houses. I think you need to brush up on the political spectrum.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
100,000 Ukranian's have entered since 2022. Definitely it's not the sole reason but it is a factor at least.
The housing market has been on the brink for some time now and the governments failue to foresee any problems down the line has led us here.
Ireland is quite a progressive country I see our politics as more left and social focused.
The country has failed to prioritise bigger picture problems overall and now a lot of people's lives are much worse off quality of life wise due to the rising inflation and housing situation.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

We have never in our history had a left wing government, look at the state of the HSE and that proves my point, all our governments have been some form of centre right, taking in Ukrainians is not left wing, the housing crisis is caused by right wing polices like jobs for the boys, jobs for companies,but never looking out for the ordinary people.

Raven

100,000 Ukranian's have entered since 2022. Definitely it's not the sole reason but it is a factor at least.
The housing market has been on the brink for some time now and the governments failue to foresee any problems down the line has led us here.
Ireland is quite a progressive country I see our politics as more left and social focused.
The country has failed to prioritise bigger picture problems overall and now a lot of people's lives are much worse off quality of life wise due to the rising inflation and housing situation.
You clearly don't know what left or right means in a political sense. Ireland has NEVER had a government even approaching left wing.

neverdie

You clearly don't know what left or right means in a political sense. Ireland has NEVER had a government even approaching left wing.
What would you expect from a "left wing" government in Ireland, in economic development terms. That is, if you could write the bullet points of a hypothetical "left wing" manifesto, for any political party (putting aside historical positions), what would it be?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

You’ve just committed RedCafe blasphemy there Gianluca. Prepare to be admonished by the great and the good!

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I always find it funny when Irish people complain about how right wing their government is. In many many ways our government has, for a long time, been (and remains) to the left of many major democracies. High tax, free schools, free healthcare, little or no privatisation of public transport or postal services, well established welfare safety net, extremely liberal legislation around women's rights and LGBTQ issues etc etc (coming on the back of a long history of extreme religous conservatism). You'd swear we were living in Florida the way some of ye go on.

None of which is to excuse the jobs for the boys, cronyism, parochialism, gombeenism and straight up incompetence that has always been a huge part of Irish politics and arguably still the biggest problem. Corruption and incompetence isn't a right wing issue though. Our problems are that the public services we provide are horribly run, not that we want to get rid of them so we can privatise everything.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I always find it funny when Irish people complain about how right wing their government is. In many many ways our government has, for a long time, been (and remains) to the left of many major democracies. High tax, free schools, free healthcare, little or no privatisation of public transport or postal services, well established welfare safety net, extremely liberal legislation around women's rights and LGBTQ issues etc etc (coming on the back of a long history of extreme religous conservatism). You'd swear we were living in Florida the way some of ye go on.

None of which is to excuse the jobs for the boys, cronyism, parochialism, gombeenism and straight up incompetence that has always been a huge part of Irish politics and arguably still the biggest problem. Corruption and incompetence isn't a right wing issue though. Our problems are that the public services we provide are horribly run, not that we want to get rid of them so we can privatise everything.
Where did this come from?

Nobody is comparing us to Florida? We are socially very liberal despite having such a rural population and an historically oppressive version of catholicism.

While we are to the left of many democracies, all of whom are moving to the right at varying but sometimes alarming speeds, we are only going one way (also we are to the right of some of the better ones). So just because we're not moving at the same speed doesn't mean we are not going that way.

And the time to complain is before it's too late. You need constant pressure on power.

The political movement along the spectrum is only in one direction. We are slowly trying to privatise everything, with the ESB and P&T already gone. In that time, we haven't made one significant step to the left.

We are fiscally right-wing. And while building houses and good services is left-wing, surely neglecting them is quite right-wing? Again fiscally. That neglect is in a time of great prosperity and huge private sector profits.

I'm not sure the housing crisis etc is incompetence when it ties directly into the prevailing neoliberal policies around Europe. A structure that creates huge wealth and a massive income gap. Is that really just a happy coincidence of incompetence?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Taking American right wing talking points/propoganda and transposing them onto the Irish political landscape?
Not really. By ‘we went too far left’ I took Vialli to mean too far to the left culturally and socially.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Instead of your usual empty one-liners, can you explain how we have gone too far to the left?
Which usual empty one-liners are those?

If you’re referring to the ‘Referendum in Ireland today’ thread, I’ll try to respond to your post(s) over the weekend. I’ve been very busy the last month or so and haven’t really had proper chance to.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Which usual empty one-liners are those?

If you’re referring to the ‘Referendum in Ireland today’ thread, I’ll try to respond to your post(s) over the weekend. I’ve been very busy the last month or so and haven’t really had proper chance to.
No, it's fine. I was referring to the " Prepare to be admonished by the great and the good! " silliness above. But this is more interesting, genuinely.

neverdie

I agree, largely, but there is much nuance to Ireland's rather unique economy (being a quasi-tax haven).

The failure has been housing and healthcare. Consider dental. Is that really "free healthcare" when provide clinics are the majority and many won't accept the "universal" medical card? Now, you can point the blame on the government for not meeting pricing or on the private sector (it's something that has to change, either way).

Other than that, we know the nightmares -- not just Ireland, mind -- regarding healthcare capacity and waiting times.