The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In a country of 5m people, the lunatics are going to stand out and be seen a little easier at times. No point in giving them any air time.

caid

I did say low rent version. Same sort of scumbags with similar talking points but much much fewer of them.
Yeah, maybe. Maybe it is a numbers game between protesting and storming the seat of government. I suppose that is the ultimate end game.

neverdie

Ballot or the bullet. Ballot fails, establishment goes for its own ballot-bullet fix, and you will see the response of a broken state (global not just Ireland). Interesting, terrible, etc., days to come and make sure to blame it entirely upon the political/economic class which brought it about despite a bunch of fascist idiots (canaries, coalmines, etc.).

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Ballot or the bullet. Ballot fails, establishment goes for its own ballot-bullet fix, and you will see the response of a broken state (global not just Ireland). Interesting, terrible, etc., days to come and make sure to blame it entirely upon the political/economic class which brought it about despite a bunch of fascist idiots (canaries, coalmines, etc.).
Could you explain this in English?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
They may be total gobshites, but you'd have to give them credit for being committed enough to their beliefs to take a day off work to hold their protest.

neverdie

Could you explain this one to the non-Irish?
Could you explain this in English?
Same trend as seen in places like America, Brazil, and various other democracies. Take Ireland. Housing crisis, inflation, homelessness, and general disorder. Or England, and cost of living. There is a movement, in England, Ireland, and America, if you really follow politics, wherein the parties are forming around what they consider a liberal centre. The anti-Trump coalition in the US, the general state-party in England (whatever Sunak says now, is what Starmer will do when in office), and a similar, if smaller, situation in Ireland. The problems of all these nations are severe and are economic (probably never been worse in modern times with respect to the most fundamental of litmus tests: housing, food, and general pricing along with healthcare and life-outcomes). The ballot, then, has arranged its own bullet - clamping down on protest and shunning protest through the prism of what is, no doubt, no way to protest. The far-right, for example, using violence, no one agrees with. But leaving it at that, and not asking why people are protesting, herded into the wrong silo or not, is to misunderstand general sociological dynamics. It's a failure of political apparatuses of representation, first and foremost, which is doing little to nothing about the conditions in these nations (some worse than others).

It's not just the right-wing either, is it? The left protests against climate change and you get a similar reaction except from a different series of people (here and more broadly). It is, to me, a few things: one, the general inability of the political apparatuses to make even the slightest of improvements for people which they represent; two, the reaction to severe issues of the day (global warming, cost of living, and general economic slumps/depressions); three, the reactionary tendency to use any given group as a means to actually malign protest itself (which you can see in climate protests: these idiots held up traffic {should we be allowing this protest at all - the sub-text}.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same trend as seen in places like America, Brazil, and various other democracies. Take Ireland. Housing crisis, inflation, homelessness, and general disorder. Or England, and cost of living. There is a movement, in England, Ireland, and America, if you really follow politics, wherein the parties are forming around what they consider a liberal centre. The anti-Trump coalition in the US, the general state-party in England (whatever Sunak says now, is what Starmer will do when in office), and a similar, if smaller, situation in Ireland. The problems of all these nations are severe and are economic (probably never been worse in modern times with respect to the most fundamental of litmus tests: housing, food, and general pricing along with healthcare and life-outcomes). The ballot, then, has arranged its own bullet - clamping down on protest and shunning protest through the prism of what is, no doubt, no way to protest. The far-right, for example, using violence, no one agrees with. But leaving it at that, and not asking why people are protesting, herded into the wrong silo or not, is to misunderstand general sociological dynamics. It's a failure of political apparatuses of representation, first and foremost, which is doing little to nothing about the conditions in these nations (some worse than others).

It's not just the right-wing either, is it? The left protests against climate change and you get a similar reaction except from a different series of people (here and more broadly). It is, to me, a few things: one, the general inability of the political apparatuses to make even the slightest of improvements for people which they represent; two, the reaction to severe issues of the day (global warming, cost of living, and general economic slumps/depressions); three, the reactionary tendency to use any given group as a means to actually malign protest itself (which you can see in climate protests: these idiots held up traffic {should we be allowing this protest at all - the sub-text}.
That's such a strange claim to make in the context of an extremely disruptive protest that was largely left alone to do it's thing for as long as they could be arsed to keep protesting. And nobody on here is trying to deny their right to protest, just mocking the mish mash of inane bollox they seem most keen to talk about.

neverdie

That's such a strange claim to make in the context of an extremely disruptive protest that was largely left alone to do it's thing for as long as they could be arsed to keep protesting. And nobody on here is trying to deny their right to protest, just mocking the mish mash of inane bollox they seem most keen to talk about.
I'm not supporting the inane bollocks they're protesting for, either. Though seems to me that it went as it should have: the ones who were violent were arrested, and the ones who weren't, were not.

It's just easy for politicians to point to this or that group when they, overwhelmingly, are to blame for the problems currently being faced. If far-right cnuts, they don't have my support for far-right cuntery but they do have a right to protest (and the right to be arrested and put on watchlists if they are considering violence - which is how it would have went).

The lack of protest in Ireland is the more alarming point (not from the right, but from the general population, or centre, or whatever term people use: look at cost of living, housing, and so on: it has gone to shit).

To be less cryptic, as for Ballot-Bullet, I was referring to something I posted last year. The failure of the ballot in Western democracies and the rise of the bullet (inevitable given the times we live in). The establishment has failed, utterly, and is now seeking any kind of redress it can to maintain order. The bullet, not actually a bullet per se, is just social upheaval around the corner as inevitable response to the general malaise of an establishment which does not address long-standing concerns of its citizenry. The establishment's bullet is propaganda - it has nothing else. The population's bullet is protest. See American civil rights history.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not supporting the inane bollocks they're protesting for, either. Though seems to me that it went as it should have: the ones who were violent were arrested, and the ones who weren't, were not.

It's just easy for politicians to point to this or that group when they, overwhelmingly, are to blame for the problems currently being faced. If far-right cnuts, they don't have my support for far-right cuntery but they do have a right to protest (and the right to be arrested and put on watchlists if they are considering violence - which is how it would have went).

The lack of protest in Ireland is the more alarming point (not from the right, but from the general population, or centre, or whatever term people use: look at cost of living, housing, and so on: it has gone to shit).
Well that brings it back to the ballot box. Have you seen how Sinn Féin are doing in the polls lately?

neverdie

Well that brings it back to the ballot box. Have you seen how Sinn Féin are doing in the polls lately?
Should sweep it, as I think is the consensus but as to their response when in power - I'm less than certain. If they feck it up, then the country is sort of fecked. Pivotal seven years ahead.

It is really about housing and cost of living. The only issues which have really been on the agenda in Ireland, minus reunification, which I don't think will make an appearance (or much of an appearance beyond snippets), at the next election.

Withnail

Should sweep it, as I think is the consensus but as to their response when in power - I'm less than certain. If they feck it up, then the country is sort of fecked. Pivotal seven years ahead.
They won't get a big enough majority though, will they?

If it's a coalition with either FF/FG, I can see either of those two being completely obstructive and turning it into bit of a mud-slinging shit-show which will implode after a couple of years.

neverdie

They won't get a big enough majority though, will they?
Possible they will. Still good bit out from election. If not, a kind of Tory/Lib-Dem scenario in reverse with SF being the largest of the two. Worst case scenario would be FF/FG in some form of another coalition (that's a broken democratic system if it happens again when one party wins the majority). Unlikely, but who knows.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Some polling on immigration suggests all parties except maybe the Greens can be expected to shift at least slightly to the right on the issue - https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/...to-reduce-number-of-people-coming-to-ireland/

Basically most people believe immigration has been positive for Ireland but more want a more closed system. Two stand-out stats there for me are 47% of 18-24 year-olds favoring a more closed system (and just 24% of them a more open system), and 72% of Sinn Fein (supporters? It’s not exactly clear to me) supporting a more closed system.

Not surprised to find that, despite everything recently, Dubliners remain the most supportive and open to immigration in the country.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Some polling on immigration suggests all parties except maybe the Greens can be expected to shift at least slightly to the right on the issue - https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/...to-reduce-number-of-people-coming-to-ireland/

Basically most people believe immigration has been positive for Ireland but more want a more closed system. Two stand-out stats there for me are 47% of 18-24 year-olds favoring a more closed system (and just 24% of them a more open system), and 72% of Sinn Fein (supporters? It’s not exactly clear to me) supporting a more closed system.

Not surprised to find that, despite everything recently, Dubliners remain the most supportive and open to immigration in the country.

And that's the issue with these feckers. They skew the discourse.

The rural resistance I suppose is a traditional view but in their defence, the last 20 years has stripped towns and villages bare and any large influx puts huge pressure on resources as well as the innate fear. So I'm finding lots of conversations very tricky lately.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And that's the issue with these feckers. They skew the discourse.

The rural resistance I suppose is a traditional view but in their defence, the last 20 years has stripped towns and villages bare and any large influx puts huge pressure on resources as well as the innate fear. So I'm finding lots of conversations very tricky lately.
But haven’t the towns and villages been stripped bare of people too? If anything they’re the regions most in need of an influx of young families. The tricky bit is the integration into a country that’s basically been a monoculture for centuries.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But haven’t the towns and villages been stripped bare of people too? If anything they’re the regions most in need of an influx of young families. The tricky bit is the integration into a country that’s basically been a monoculture for centuries.
Great, another middled aged man in Dublin 4 saying we should just send them all down the country and kill two birds with one stone. ;)

While you are right about rural areas needing a population boost. That is where the conversations are tricky, and sheltered housing in a disused nightclub is not exactly regeneration.

You know I'm as open borders and bleeding heart as it gets but as per usual we are doing it wrong. Private individuals are getting paid to house a lot of refugees with zero consultation with schools and doctors. And as beneficial as lots of immigration is, when that's the main visible thrust of it people are startled.

I'm on the side of open arms to all but the reality is that's a fecking tough sell when it's being handled so fecking disasterously.

The monoculture issue is not that big an issue if things were handled well. We have an educated and well travelled population, the same sex marriage showed how progressive and inclusive we can be.

This is theory v reality v perception.

Rural regeneration is also seperately a really tricky issue. It's not just houses and people.

It's about balance. You see small rural towns that received disproportionately large social housing in the past. It's then defines the town. Small social housing schemes in a varied demographic is perfect.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Great, another middled aged man in Dublin 4 saying we should just send them all down the country and kill two birds with one stone. ;)

While you are right about rural areas needing a population boost. That is where the conversations are tricky, and sheltered housing in a disused nightclub is not exactly regeneration.

You know I'm as open borders and bleeding heart as it gets but as per usual we are doing it wrong. Private individuals are getting paid to house a lot of refugees with zero consultation with schools and doctors. And as beneficial as lots of immigration is, when that's the main visible thrust of it people are startled.

I'm on the side of open arms to all but the reality is that's a fecking tough sell when it's being handled so fecking disasterously.

The monoculture issue is not that big an issue if things were handled well. We have an educated and well travelled population, the same sex marriage showed how progressive and inclusive we can be.

This is theory v reality v perception.

Rural regeneration is also seperately a really tricky issue. It's not just houses and people.

It's about balance. You see small rural towns that received disproportionately large social housing in the past. It's then defines the town. Small social housing schemes in a varied demographic is perfect.
I agree it’s been handled badly but I’m less sure about what handling it well actually looks like? What’s your take on that?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree it’s been handled badly but I’m less sure about what handling it well actually looks like? What’s your take on that?
Well a pefect solution is not that tricky in my opinion, but you have to have the will and an interest in regeneration.

With no immigration issue rural ireland needed work. To not address that and put asylum seekers into small villages is insane. There are so many tiny improvements that could be made.

One thing is not give huge amounts of money to unregulated greasy local businessmen to sort the issue. It is frequently done with no consultation with any of the communities, so that alone makes it look dodgy to lots of folk and puts them on the defensive. It has an impact on the community that in the long term would he positive and the concerns must be addressed and some plan explained.

It's about jobs too. There is a small estate here, with young families, full employment I think. They work either 30 miles east in Sligo or 30 - 40 miles west in Mayo so their kids school in the towns. They shop in the towns because it's cheaper and they are there. Nobody knows them and they aren't really part of the community.

Decentralisation has been needed at least since we were in primary school. So anything neglected that long needs long term fixes. The fixes are not complicated but they are initially expensive.

On the topic in hand, I'm hugely pro open borders and especially feel strongly towards a duty of care to those here and how we integrate them. Lots of the situations now are worrying for local people and terrifying for the immigrants. It's a shitshow that plays into the hands of proper evil scumbags on the right.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There's a fecking loon in the village who does big signs on their gate. They had an anti vax one, a pro Canadian Truckers one, and now it's pro Farmers. But only from a shut down woke climate policies angle. The same prick didn't care about women's safety until it was potentially an immigrant who was the perp. I fecking hate them.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
There's a fecking loon in the village who does big signs on their gate. They had an anti vax one, a pro Canadian Truckers one, and now it's pro Farmers. But only from a shut down woke climate policies angle. The same prick didn't care about women's safety until it was potentially an immigrant who was the perp. I fecking hate them.
Good to hear @The Black Pearl is still alive at least.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
My sister is from Newtown in Wicklow and has gone so far off the deepend. Absolutely tragic. Disgusted by her.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
My sister is from Newtown in Wicklow and has gone so far off the deepend. Absolutely tragic. Disgusted by her.
It is so sad. And while it's being fuelled by scumbag racist fecks, it's being so poorly done by the government. As I have said before here, rural Ireland has been screaming out for decentralisation for decades, this is not it.

So your sister might have legitimate grievances, but just being led by cnuts.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It is so sad. And while it's being fuelled by scumbag racist fecks, it's being so poorly done by the government. As I have said before here, rural Ireland has been screaming out for decentralisation for decades, this is not it.

So your sister might have legitimate grievances, but just being led by cnuts.
She thinks those scumbags in balaclavas are heroes. Parroting things like 'we will not be replaced'. She says that she and her children will live in fear, that the situation is terrifying. It's fascinating to see people so easily gripped by such hatred. I haven't engaged her directly on it because I think it'd just frustrate me more and she's so entrenched anyway. Thousands of people have moved into Newtown in recent years with the new builds - her being one of them - but 160 vulnerable people from war-torn parts of the world, that's somehow crossing the line. She hates foreigners.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
She thinks those scumbags in balaclavas are heroes. Parroting things like 'we will not be replaced'. She says that she and her children will live in fear, that the situation is terrifying. It's fascinating to see people so easily gripped by such hatred. I haven't engaged her directly on it because I think it'd just frustrate me more and she's so entrenched anyway. Thousands of people have moved into Newtown in recent years with the new builds - her being one of them - but 160 vulnerable people from war-torn parts of the world, that's somehow crossing the line. She hates foreigners.
Right, yeah, that's pretty cut and dried.

The idea that there is a proactive 'Great Replacement' insane and fascinating.

Wiki on the The Great Replacement, the Irish version.

"A 2019 Lidl advertisement that featured a white Irish woman, her Afro-Brazilian partner and their mixed race son was targeted by former journalist Gemma O'Doherty as part of an attempt at a "Great Replacement". After facing online harassment the family decided to leave Ireland.[119][120][121] The "Great Replacement" has also been used in Ireland in opposition to direct provision centres, used to house asylum seekers.[122]

Writing in 2020, Richard Downes said that "Rather than seeing the increase in non-Irish people living and making their lives here as being a normal part of a modern European country, some of the new nationalists see it as a conspiracy to overwhelm Ireland with foreigners. For many of them the conspirators include the Irish government, NGOs, the EU and the UN. They believe that these organisations want to replace Irish people with brown and black people from abroad."[123]

The term "great replacement" was also used when the RTÉ News featured the three first babies born in 2020, born to Polish, Black and Indian mothers; journalist Fergus Finlay saying "I don't care about the vulgar abuse, but I really do believe that these hatemongers should be prosecuted when they incite others to hatred and violence against people whose only crime is their skin colour or religion. I find it hard to understand why the State hasn't acted already against these cruel ideologues who think they can say whatever they like under the banner of free speech. They may be small in number now, and on the surface they may just seem bonkers, but we've been here before. Political movements have been built on hatred of the other, and we know the damage they have caused."[124]

Garda Commissioner (national chief of police) Drew Harris spoke about far right groups in 2020, saying that "Irish groups [believing] in the great replacement theory" had plans "to disrupt key State institutions and infrastructure. This included Dublin Port, high profile shopping areas such as Grafton Street in Dublin, Dáil Éireann and Government departments."[125][126][127]

Some participants in the 2022–2023 Irish anti-immigration protests such as Hermann Kelly and Derek Blighe support a Great Replacement theory, as well as referring to the influx of immigrants as an "invasion" and a "plantation".[128][129]"