The Saudi Takeover Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Bruce

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. Theirs nothing credible saying this is happening. Its just media stirring things up on a slow news day.

laughtersassassin

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. Theirs nothing credible saying this is happening. Its just media stirring things up on a slow news day.

I agree it ain't happening. With that being said it's good cause the Saudis are awful but it also sucks cause I truly do believe we will never be great again under the Glazers. Which is a shame considering how much money we make them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree it ain't happening. With that being said it's good cause the Saudis are awful but it also sucks cause I truly do believe we will never be great again under the Glazers. Which is a shame considering how much money we make them.
Think the problem we have is the Glazers have added value to the club, but not the team. Doing this it makes it very difficult for anyone to buy us. We still have a massive debt, the team needs a lot of upgrading as does the stadium. That is a lot to take on and it means there are not many people who can afford it. Even more is if they have the stomach to do it.

Anyone who buys United is likely to have either dodgy business practices or dodgy human right practices. That is a fact of life unless Amnesty International have that sort of money.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The state of this thread. Is this where all the nonsense is currently then?

Coops73

Yep, it’s like being stuck in the pub with a load people boring the fecking shit out of you by talking about brexit, trying desperately to to win the moral high ground and look intelligent because they know what the backstop is when all you want to do is get pissed and have a good time.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, it’s like being stuck in the pub with a load people boring the fecking shit out of you by talking about brexit, trying desperately to to win the moral high ground and look intelligent because they know what the backstop is when all you want to do is get pissed and have a good time.
I wasn't even going to come back into this thread but I like this post... You need new friends!

AaronRedDevil

It can't be worse then the glaziers can it! United will have more money for transfers and can maybe get anybody or a better structure for the youth academy too. We'll won't be smothered by debt with these guys. I'm not gonna stop supporting my team simply because the owners change.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It would be hypocritical to say you'll stop following the club after Saudi takeover when you're still a fan during Glazer ownership. If there is no other choice but being run by ill gotten wealth, I'd rather the ones that won't sink us into debt and use us as a cash cow.

Exactly. They are all just spokes on the same wheel. The glazers and their Ilk are in with a government who back apartheid in Palestine and also are extremely close allies of the Saudi royal family and kill people all over the world. They are all bad at that level.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wonder who arms and train the soldiers of such horrible regime.

C'est Moi Cantona

A bit of a guilty pleasure this one, you know its wrong, but you can't help wanting it happen.

But ultimately it would be sad to see us become a more vile version of City, and not be respected for what we were to achieve, so I'll just hope it doesn't happen no matter how appealing the short term gain might be, having said that I'll still long for the day the Glazer's are gone.

Coops73

I wasn't even going to come back into this thread but I like this post... You need new friends!
Luckily my friends are as intellectually challenged as myself and we generally just talk a load of old bollocks. I like them and I think they like me.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

A bit of a guilty pleasure this one, you know its wrong, but you can't help wanting it happen.

But ultimately it would be sad to see us become a more vile version of City, and not be respected for what we were to achieve, so I'll just hope it doesn't happen no matter how appealing the short term gain might be, having said that I'll still long for the day the Glazer's are gone.
How long will it take that debt to go, 15-20 years? It could be a long wait. Especially if they are including the debt in the buying price.
I know the debt is against the club, but it is a massive debt and might put a lot of people off. It is no good someone buying out the Glazers unless they have a lot of money to invest in the club on all levels. I would imagine the Glazers are perfectly happy with their lot at the moment.

wolvored

We are doomed to miss out on the top trophies under the glazers in the years to come, as the transfer prices will keep going up. It will only be the very richest teams that will afford the best players, to enable you to win the trophies. This debt is 13 years old now and has hardly shrunk. Soon £150 million will be todays £50 million and wont buy one decent player. They value the club at a price only the elite rich could afford to pay without blinking. The saudis may be the only hope of getting rid of them.

DomesticTadpole

We are doomed to miss out on the top trophies under the glazers in the years to come, as the transfer prices will keep going up. It will only be the very richest teams that will afford the best players, to enable you to win the trophies. This debt is 13 years old now and has hardly shrunk. Soon £150 million will be todays £50 million and wont buy one decent player. They value the club at a price only the elite rich could afford to pay without blinking. The saudis may be the only hope of getting rid of them.
Exactly. Everybody wants the perfect owners, but the only people who could afford us will have tons of dirty laundry. Maybe we have to hope they are just crooks rather than murderers.

C'est Moi Cantona

How long will it take that debt to go, 15-20 years? It could be a long wait. Especially if they are including the debt in the buying price.
I know the debt is against the club, but it is a massive debt and might put a lot of people off. It is no good someone buying out the Glazers unless they have a lot of money to invest in the club on all levels. I would imagine the Glazers are perfectly happy with their lot at the moment.
I did take quite an interest in our financial state post Glazer's for a while, probably up until the point when it was clear we were out of the real danger zone with it, so not too sure about the current state of affairs, but last thing I remember was us refinancing so it cost about £20 million per year to service the interest, and the overall debt just fluctuates with the currency rate, which alot of people seem content with, no idea why personally, but I guess it was better than what came before, some people just forget/forgive what they did too easily really.

You are right that unless some big financial Juggernaut comes in then it will be an issue, and there aren't too many about, so a Saudi type takeover aside I've no idea what the answer is. Sadly, much as we didn't have any choice, we dealt with the devil when the Glazer's came in, so we probably will have to do the same to get away from them.

purgethefallen

The above posts are a perfect example of glory hunting (winning at all costs). I find it hard to believe any of you would be fans if the club was in League 1.

This is nothing more than a lie and PR stunt brought forth by the Red Knights (from 13+ years ago) to turn fan support against the Glazers. I suggest you do a bit of research (and please don't pull up that silly Guardian article by David Conn. It's nothing more than a hit piece that can easily be disproven)
I suspect you'll find that many on here (me included) were still fans when United were relegated to Division 2.

red thru&thru

At a guess any version where united aren't the vanity project of one of the most awful regimes on the planet.
He was very precise in saying our take over would ruin football. Big statement to make, as there are other clubs out there with similar circumstances. So why would the purchase of our club ruin football?

red thru&thru

Might be going out on a limb here but i'm guessing a situation where the club he supports isn't owned by a brutal dictatorship that beheads people and oppresses pretty much everyone else in their country.
I like what you did there, "going out on a limb"...

Anyway, City and PSG owners do pretty much the above, so why would the purchase of our club ruin football Quite a big statement that.

red thru&thru

Hahahaha, this is my sentiments too. Would I like to be a rich persons toy thing? No. Do I want to compete again? Yes.

We're definitely not doing so with the Glazers in charge. I understand nothing ever is black and white but I also hate mixing sports with politics, even though it's all intertwined.

Moriarty

I wonder who arms and train the soldiers of such horrible regime.
Here's a clue:

'The £6.6bn of UK arms licences represents an 83 per cent rise on the previous year. Senior ministers have promised to grow defence exports ahead of Brexit and manufacturers have been boosted by a succession of lucrative deals, particularly in the Middle East...Sales to Saudi Arabia, Britain’s largest arms customer, alone rose by two-thirds and the export of Typhoon jets to Oman in a vast £1.4bn deal underlined the UK’s strength in military aviation – the most profitable defence sector."

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/uk-arms-exports-statistics-increase-saudi-arabia-bombs-yemen/

red thru&thru

Here's a clue:

'The £6.6bn of UK arms licences represents an 83 per cent rise on the previous year. Senior ministers have promised to grow defence exports ahead of Brexit and manufacturers have been boosted by a succession of lucrative deals, particularly in the Middle East...Sales to Saudi Arabia, Britain’s largest arms customer, alone rose by two-thirds and the export of Typhoon jets to Oman in a vast £1.4bn deal underlined the UK’s strength in military aviation – the most profitable defence sector."

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/uk-arms-exports-statistics-increase-saudi-arabia-bombs-yemen/
"Yes but UK isn't buying United..."

You'll get the above line thrown at you. People are so selective when they want to win a moral high ground argument.

Cloud7

"Yes but UK isn't buying United..."

You'll get the above line thrown at you. People are so selective when they want to win a moral high ground argument.
That’s the truth though. The Glazers aren’t the US or the UK government. If in some hypothetical situation it was one of these bodies buying the club, people would be just as upset.

Unless you’re implying that by being citizens of these countries, you’re responsible for the actions of your government and you support them selling weapons to these criminals?

The Nani

What is with people comparing the Glazers to the Saudis. Seriously. I know we Yanks don't have the greatest reputations in business and whatnot but that is ridiculous.

He was very precise in saying our take over would ruin football. Big statement to make, as there are other clubs out there with similar circumstances. So why would the purchase of our club ruin football?
I said it would ruin football for me. City and PSG are everything I loathe about modern day football. Effectively joining their ranks in being taken over by one of the most militant regimes in the world would ruin United and thus football for me as I don't give a toss about international football.

At a guess any version where united aren't the vanity project of one of the most awful regimes on the planet.
Might be going out on a limb here but i'm guessing a situation where the club he supports isn't owned by a brutal dictatorship that beheads people and oppresses pretty much everyone else in their country.
Seems pretty straightforward doesn't it.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

That’s the truth though. The Glazers aren’t the US or the UK government. If in some hypothetical situation it was one of these bodies buying the club, people would be just as upset.

Unless you’re implying that by being citizens of these countries, you’re responsible for the actions of your government and you support them selling weapons to these criminals?
From what I read, it's not the ruler of Saudi who is trying to buy us, it is someone else, a family member or some other rich Saudi Do we tie them with all the same brush too that they are murderers etc etc?

Like I've said in an earlier post, sports and politics don't mix well. They should be kept separate. Not easy to do but is best that way.

stevoc

I like what you did there, "going out on a limb"...

Anyway, City and PSG owners do pretty much the above, so why would the purchase of our club ruin football Quite a big statement that.
Ah i see where you're going wrong there mate, you missed the part where he said it would ruin football for him. I suspect what he means is that his whole connection to the sport of football revolves around his support for United.

So if something like United being taken over by the SA regime were to happen and clashed with his morals then it would ruin football for him.

Charles Miller

Forbes published an interesting article just when things were going sour for Mourinho. One quote follows:

'What was barely mentioned was that, while United are making more than ever, they are losing around half of everything that they make to the Glazer family,as well as financing the deal by which the family bought the club in the first place in 2005.

United have made £651m in operating profits over the last decade, but have spent £523m on financing the loans used by the Glazers to buy the club. The dividends paid to the Glazers in the most recent accounts come to £22m of £44m profit, money which many owners simply choose to keep in the club to improve performances via better players. As Ed Woodward pointed out in May: “Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business.”'

Rest of the article here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeme...s-the-battle-behind-the-numbers/#5a10e0104cb2:
This is something everybody needs to realize. "Normal" companies/investors are going to act according to the rules of market that they understand. Its very different when a P.R group is using an european club to clean the image of a national state or when some random billionaire is spending his money moved by vanity.

pacifictheme

I would guess he meant ruin football for him...

JohnnyLaw

From what I read, it's not the ruler of Saudi who is trying to buy us, it is someone else, a family member or some other rich Saudi Do we tie them with all the same brush too that they are murderers etc etc?

Like I've said in an earlier post, sports and politics don't mix well. They should be kept separate. Not easy to do but is best that way.

Wouldn’t you say that the kind of sportswashing a Saudi ownership would present is one of the worst examples of sports being infiltrated with political agenda?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well, that's like, your opinion.

I find it funny when people are bringing in "glory hunting" when They have nothing better to say. It's so easy to scream "Plastic glory hunters!!!". Did you even read my post properly? did it suggest anything about glory hunting?
Pretty simple for me. Winning at all costs = glory hunting. When you attempt to equate a regime with running a business, to justify the club having enough resources to compete with City you are firmly in the winning at all costs camp, which puts you in the glory hunting camp. Not only that, but to also question why another fan would draw the line on supporting a football club with the ownership of a brutal regime, and then ask what suggests glory hunting is quite baffling to me. So yes, I did read your post and yes it did strike me as suggesting glory hunting. Cheers.

SirAF

Ageist
Pretty simple for me. Winning at all costs = glory hunting. When you attempt to equate a regime with running a business, to justify the club having enough resources to compete with City you are firmly in the winning at all costs camp, which puts you in the glory hunting camp. Not only that, but to also question why another fan would draw the line on supporting a football club with the ownership of a brutal regime, and then ask what suggests glory hunting is quite baffling to me. So yes, I did read your post and yes it did strike me as suggesting glory hunting. Cheers.
Nah. Glory hunters are those who change teams from, say, United to City. There is nothing wrong, whatsoever, with wanting to win at all costs.

red thru&thru

What is with people comparing the Glazers to the Saudis. Seriously. I know we Yanks don't have the greatest reputations in business and whatnot but that is ridiculous.

How different is the vanity project for the Saudis and the Glazers rinsing us dry? You think the Glazers are in for the love of football. I'm trying to understand how what the Glazers are doing to us now, would be worse than the Saudis "vanity" project? Talking sorting projects now, political!

I said it would ruin football for me. City and PSG are everything I loathe about modern day football. Effectively joining their ranks in being taken over by one of the most militant regimes in the world would ruin United and thus football for me as I don't give a toss about international football.

Seems pretty straightforward doesn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.