The Saudi Takeover Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

Who said our current owners are “perfect” (your word)? I was against the Glazer takeover, and I am against their ownership still. I am also against us selling to an even worse group of people. They are not mutually exclusive positions.
Here we go again with this laughable narrative. If you slag off the Saudi regime, it doesn't mean you support/back/like the Glazers. How do so many of you struggle with this oh so very simple concept.
I don't mean that you or any others are supporting the Glazers. But people who say they would stop supporting the club if Saudis take over and anyone not against the Saudi takeover are some sort of glory hunters is a bit over the top.
It seems to be a case of where you draw the line. Because people who are still here supporting the club when Glazers are around seems somehow horrified and shocked about people not minding the Saudi ownership.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't mean that you or any others are supporting the Glazers. But people who say they would stop supporting the club if Saudis take over and anyone not against the Saudi takeover are some sort of glory hunters is a bit over the top.
It seems to be a case of where you draw the line. Because people who are still here supporting the club when Glazers are around seems somehow horrified and shocked about people not minding the Saudi ownership.
Because the Saudi's are in a totally different league to the Glazers? It's not rocket science.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Someone leading a regime that spans generations is nearly forced to be an ahole. He is raised in that world so he knows no better. Also if he loosens the noose then the oppressed might see it as a sign of weakness and end up ripping him into pieces

On the other hand those governments in the democratic West who enable him should know better especially since they were raised better and has a choice not to enable a holes.
The Arms trafficking business is not exclusive to the US. European nations such as Russia, France, Britain and Germany are equally responsible. Not to mention Asia where China and South Korea have an active hand in the business.

Illicit arms dealing would not exist if there was no call for it.

Siorac

Of course because that's all you see. You think not against the idea of the Saudi taking over the club = wanting more resources. I stated my view about the thread's topic without preferring them to take over the club. I repeat, ideally I want supporters to own the club. But as I said, if it did happen (Saudi take over) it won't stop me from supporting the club.

If these strike you as the form of glory hunting, your view on this strike me as short sighted mentality - unable to see the big picture. In your mind not against the Saudi takeover = glory hunters. I never thought I'd ignore someone on here but it seems like I have to.
I think it's intellectually dishonest to deny that the vast majority of those who would support Saudi ownership would so because they want more resources.

You can say that you simply don't care who the owners are and that's why you would accept them but even if you just skim through this thread, you'll see that those who like the idea like it because we might get Mbappe or something like that.

stevoc

I don't think we would ever need to stoop so low.
We would all hope that was the case, but with Saudi ownership even with that level of funding success is still not guaranteed.

These are people who are used to getting what they want, and will pay anything to get it. And with the noisy neighbours across the city also being owned by Arabs. I can imagine a scenario where despite great financial investment we are for whatever reasons still lagging behind City. That would be embarrassing for the Saudi's and I wouldn't put anything past those guys.

stevoc

«Winning at all costs» is an expression that very few mean LITERALLY..
I would like to think people don't mean it literally but I suspect some might. If someone is happy with taking money from the likes of the Saudi regime just to win. Then its not a stretch to think there are other lines they wouldn't care in being crossed to win.

Anyway, being owned by oil money etc is not illegal - match fixing and the likes are
True but not everything that is legal is moral.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The Arms trafficking business is not exclusive to the US. European nations such as Russia, France, Britain and Germany are equally responsible. Not to mention Asia where China and South Korea have an active hand in the business.

Illicit arms dealing would not exist if there was no call for it.
I guess your relieved that you are at par to Russia and China in arming a regime like Saudi Arabia with weapons and training. They might never be able to emulate the violent past the likes of the UK had during the heights of their empire. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and help them reach that goals right?

Meanwhile lets get scandalised if these regimes decide to buy Manchester United from our extremely capitalist owners instead of investing or their money in buying weapons from the Western governments to use them in genocides.

Last edited:

wolvored

No. I'm not saying that, you misunderstand me.

I'm saying that, with our current investment, we're perfectly capable of competing. In fact, we're under-achieving massively given our total spend.

To start competing again we need to put a modern football structure in place. We need to move on from the Fergie years and accept we're unlikely to get that kind of manager again, so we need to appoint a DoF and make sure our army of new scouts are being listened to.

Can the Glazers oversee that kind of structure? Well they've certainly revamped our scouting and academy networks, and all the talk is that they're going to appoint a DoF too. So perhaps we should give them a chance?

I was massively opposed to the Glazers 10 years ago - that summer when we sold Ronaldo and bought Valencia is the most damaging summer we've had since I started supporting United in 1990. But, to be fair to them, the debt's under control and they've turned us into an operation that can compete with the oil princes without needing one ourselves. Unless a United-supporting billionaire, or consortium, wants to buy the club I'd suggest they're our best option for now. We certainly don't want to become a pawn in a Middle Eastern power game like City or PSG.

EDIT: Although I would be happy for the Norwegian sovereign wealth fund to take us over. After all, we've got a Norwegian manager so would be a nice synergy.:D
let's hope it plays out like that:)

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
When fossil fuels are banned, Saudi economy will collapse.

Best stay away.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Actually I think if they Saudi's bought Man utd their human rights violations would gather more attention and through media pressure that might actually result in the Saudi Regime changing things for the better. Maybe it's a bit unrealistic.

Although I don't want the Saudi's as owners, I would actually like the club having owners who want to invest into club rather than milking it for whatever it's worth. If we had more ambitious owners the club with the largest revenues in the world would not be struggling for top 4 for 6 years.

Last window we bought Dalot and Fred. How was this suppose to make us compete with City and Liverpool for the title?

Reactions: Penna

vanderpants

I’m over the moon that these people will never own Utd , I’d rather keep the Glazers any day of the week.

stevoc

I guess your relieved that you are at par to Russia and China in arming a regime like Saudi Arabia with weapons and training. They might never be able to emulate the violent past the likes of the UK had during the heights of their empire. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and help them reach that goals right?

Meanwhile lets get scandalised if these regimes decide to buy Manchester United from our extremely capitalist owners instead of investing or their money in buying weapons from the Western governments to use them in genocides.
Do you think if they owned United they would stop or buy less weapons?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Of course because that's all you see. You think not against the idea of the Saudi taking over the club = wanting more resources. I stated my view about the thread's topic without preferring them to take over the club. I repeat, ideally I want supporters to own the club. But as I said, if it did happen (Saudi take over) it won't stop me from supporting the club.

If these strike you as the form of glory hunting, your view on this strike me as short sighted mentality - unable to see the big picture. In your mind not against the Saudi takeover = glory hunters. I never thought I'd ignore someone on here but it seems like I have to.
Oh come on. Why would anyone be okay with the Saudi's taking over the club if it weren't for their vast resources? And you just didn't ONLY say supporters. You specifically said:
Ideally I would want filthy rich ManUtd supporters to purchase the club, but it's not realistic.
This really shouldn't strike a nerve, but if you feel the need to ignore me why not just do it without announcing it to the world? I'm a random, irrelevant, anonymous person on a forum. Neither of us will lose any sleep by it and I doubt anyone one else cares.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
When y'all look at City and oil money it's worth remembering we got Pep. Pep has made the difference, take Pep away and we're back to what it was before. Money necessarily buy success we are experiencing now, that takes a bloody good man manager like Poch/Pep/Fergi/etc.

Poch and saudi' money would = success I think though. Manager is MOST important

devilish

Do you think if they owned United they would stop or buy less weapons?
No. However I find it ridiculous how you're saying that the Glazers shouldn't sell our club to a regime when probably your own government (the one you voted for) does that on a yearly basis, not for football but to provide them the tools to kill innocent people

devilish

Crazy logic.
Murderous regime != American capitalists
My point is simple to understand really. The moment the club was sold to capitalists then the next move was pretty much inevitable. If you think the likes of the Glazers gives a feck about what MackRobinson or devilish think then think again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

As we have already established, Western civilization is not solely responsible for the exportation of arms so can you please stop implying it.

I get no 'relief' from the knowledge that my country actively participates in the arms trade, what led you to believe otherwise?

devilish

As we have already established, Western civilization is not solely responsible for the exportation of arms so can you please stop implying it.

I get no 'relief' from the knowledge that my country actively participates in the arms trade, what led you to believe otherwise?
As said I am glad our standards are at par with those of China and Russia.

There are two points Im trying to make. First of all we as fans had the opportunity to save Manchester United from going to the pits when Martin Edwards sold a big chunk of his shares on the stock market. Yet WE chose not to (actually not me as I was a boy back then) which then lead to capitalists buying them. At that point our club ended up at the mercy of ruthless people who would sell us to the devil for an extra penny

Regarding these regimes I assure you they won't survive long in isolation. They are aided by others including the very ones we voted for. So instead of us acting all high and mighty by bringing politics into football and expect capitalists we allowed to seize our club then lets first cleanse our own part of politics first shall we?

padzilla

Hipster
Don't the Glazers donate money to Trump - that's even worse than being funded by a dodgy regime. We are actually helping to fund one!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No. However I find it ridiculous how you're saying that the Glazers shouldn't sell our club to a regime when probably your own government (the one you voted for) does that on a yearly basis, not for football but to provide them the tools to kill innocent people
You imply that by selling arms to an inherently evil and backward civilisation such as Saudi Arabia, this miraculously absolves them of any fault or responsibility for their actions.

So it is perfectly acceptable to witness Saudi Arabian officials publically executing their citizens by way of stoning or beheading because, well, they simply don't know any better?

That's some twisted logic right there.

Denis' cuff

There are two points Im trying to make. First of all we as fans had the opportunity to save Manchester United from going to the pits when Martin Edwards sold a big chunk of his shares on the stock market. Yet WE chose not to (actually not me as I was a boy back then) which then lead to capitalists buying them. At that point our club ended up at the mercy of ruthless people who would sell us to the devil for an extra penny

Regarding these regimes I assure you they won't survive long in isolation. They are aided by others including the very ones we voted for. So instead of us acting all high and mighty by bringing politics into football and expect capitalists we allowed to seize our club then lets first cleanse our own part of politics first shall we?
Tis true. Too many United fans sat on their hands and ignored the writing on the wall. Even got a decent return on the compulsory sale of shares when Glazers took over, which I wasn’t necessarily expecting. Sad. I just don’t think anyone realised the perilous position Edwards had put us in.

devilish

You imply that by selling arms to an inherently evil and backward civilisation such as Saudi Arabia, this miraculously absolves them of any fault or responsibility for their actions.

So it is perfectly acceptable to witness Saudi Arabian officials publically executing their citizens by way of stoning or beheading because, well, they simply don't know any better?

That's some twisted logic right there.
Have I said that? What I said is that its highly hypocritical to criticise something we cannot change especially when we're turning a blind eye on what we can change (ie by voting people who actually refuse to arm these aholes).

Vadim

It’s all moot. There’s absolutely nothing anyone can do about it if the Saudis buy us apart from throw a hissyfit on the internet.

Fans won’t stop going to games. If anything, Old Trafford will be extremely excited about getting top quality players under the floodlights again.

It will happen, when is anyone’s guess though.

Will it make us like City, PSG and Chelsea? Of course not. We were a giant of a club before the investment.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

We're not the ones bringing politics into football, that would be the Saudi Arabian government should they ever attempt to take ownership of our club. We all know the only reason they would consider such an option is to get one up on their bitter rivals in the UAE, and set about repairing their heavily tarnished image in the process. We would become the laughing stock of football.

I agree with you re Martin Edwards being at fault for this whole situation. The day the club became a PLC was the day the fans lost the club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It’s all moot. There’s absolutely nothing anyone can do about it if the Saudis buy us apart from throw a hissyfit on the internet.

Fans won’t stop going to games. If anything, Old Trafford will be extremely excited about getting top quality players under the floodlights again.

Will it make us like City, PSG and Chelsea? Of course not. We were a giant of a club before the investment.
If you thought opposition to the Glazer's was bad, wait until SA attempt a takeover.

There will be riots :)

MDFC Manager

We're not the ones bringing politics into football, that would be the Saudi Arabian government should they ever attempt to take ownership of our club. We all know the only reason they would consider such an option is to get one up on their bitter rivals in the UAE, and set about repairing their heavily tarnished image in the process. We would become the laughing stock of football.

I agree with you re Martin Edwards being at fault for this whole situation. The day the club became a PLC was the day the fans lost the club.
Happy to be educated, but don't think UAE is a bitter rival for them at all. Qatar is different.

devilish

Yep we are. We're the ones discussing the future of a football club we never bothered to own and expect ruthless capitalists who don't give a feck about devilish or random task to sell the club to people we want rather then make maximum profit out of it.

Instead of trying to change something that we've got no power in changing we should instead use the limited power we've got to change things that we can actually change ie by voting people in who won't get bribed by the Saudis or any other regimes.

As for my earlier remark I happened to meet a number of these 'gentlemen' (different kind, same mentality ie Gheddafi people). They were raised to be ruthless and assholes and know no better then that. The few that are decent people will turn into absolute savages the very moment power risk slipping off theirr fingers simply because that is the moment their life and that of their family is in danger. Am I trying to justify them? God no. All I was trying to do is to make you see the world from their own eyes. Its a savage world which was probably decided for you by your own ancestor and were you're either on top or dead. There is no in between.

The Western world politicians on the other hand should know better. They were raised in prosperous families and in wealthy countries. They don't need to enable these monsters by selling them weapons and training their soldiers but they do.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
My point is simple to understand really. The moment the club was sold to capitalists then the next move was pretty much inevitable. If you think the likes of the Glazers gives a feck about what MackRobinson or devilish think then think again.
That is quite a jump in logic. Private ownership = ownership by a murderous regime. It's a false equivalency of the most absurd order. What the Glazers think about the fans is irrelevant and literally the opposite of what we are discussing. We are talking about fans drawing a line in the sand for their support of a football club (in the case ownership by a murderous regime) and somehow you are attempting to equate the Glazers with the Saudis. I mean if it allows you to sleep better at night then more power to you, but it's a ridiculous comparison.

Siorac

Yep we are. We're the ones discussing the future of a football club we never bothered to own and expect ruthless capitalists who don't give a feck about devilish or random task to sell the club to people we want rather then make maximum profit out of it.

Instead of trying to change something that we've got no power in changing we should instead use the limited power we've got to change things that we can actually change ie by voting people in who won't get bribed by the Saudis or any other regimes.
We can still own the club if we want to. We just need to collect enough wealthy fans who can come up with the money. Same as it would have been in 2005. Not sure why you seem to think that was our chance and now there is no chance.

It was never really realistic, of course, neither then nor now but that's another debate entirely.

Siorac

How is that relevant to anything?

RedDevil@84

Some people here have said they'll stop supporting the club, going to games or buying any merchandise. Stop clicking on "Pogba Vs Jose" kinda links on Dailymail.
So it is not kinda moot for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.