The Search for a Midfielder

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Looks like City are targeting Saul this summer according to Mark Ogden.

Devil may care

I am not as high on Eriksen to be honest, but he'd definitely be a good signing. Don't think there's any chance there though. I am also not sure whether Isco would work with Pogba. Fantastic player obviously, but I think he operates in similar spaces compared to Pogba. The last season he played regularly on the right was at Malaga, if I remember it correctly. If we could convince him of a role that is more to the right, then I'd be all for it. Joao Felix I need to see more of, but the glimpses I've seen, he looks brilliant. If we are talking purely tip of the diamond, then it's: 1. Dybala, 2. Fekir, 3. Havertz, 4. James, for me.
Very high for Fekir, I think James time has come and gone to be a mainstay player at a top club, Havertz is an interesting one, him and Brandt seem to be developing really well at Leverkusen. Joao Felix is definitely a work in progress and it depends on how long term we are thinking, but the talent is there. On younger options what do you think of Zaniolo from Roma for the role?

GM K

Very high for Fekir, I think James time has come and gone to be a mainstay player at a top club, Havertz is an interesting one, him and Brandt seem to be developing really well at Leverkusen. Joao Felix is definitely a work in progress and it depends on how long term we are thinking, but the talent is there. On younger options what do you think of Zaniolo from Roma for the role?
That's a very interesting prospect. The kid is immensely gifted. Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard mould if you ask me. But the reality is that he is still very young (19, I think) and he is Italian. The perfect combo for Juventus to pounce and they have actually been reported to be keen. If the Old Lady goes all out for a young Italian prospect, then we will have to give up a lot to get him. I think Real Madrid is also keen on him.

bucky

Yeah, I was very relieved when he didn't go to Liverpool and I am hoping, if he does leave and it's not for us, then it's some team not playing in the EPL. I think James has been a bit unlucky with his clubs. Some of it is obviously his own fault obviously, but he's IMO defnitely an excellent player and he needs a manager that knows how to get the best out of him. Kovac isn't that manager. With Ancelotti, I thought he was excellent. Similarly to Joao Felix, I've only seen glimpses of Zaniolo. He looks talented, but I can't say whether I would want him at United. I need to see more of him. Currently I'd prefer Joao Felix, from the little I've seen of the two.

Devil may care

That's a very interesting prospect. The kid is immensely gifted. Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard mould if you ask me. But the reality is that he is still very young (19, I think) and he is Italian. The perfect combo for Juventus to pounce and they have actually been reported to be keen. If the Old Lady goes all out for a young Italian prospect, then we will have to give up a lot to get him. I think Real Madrid is also keen on him.
I noticed a few clubs are looking at him and Juve are definitely always favourites for any young Italian talent, but physically he looks like he'd be a good fit in the PL, certainly an option we are hopefully monitoring as he's versatile as well.

Devil may care

Yeah, I was very relieved when he didn't go to Liverpool and I am hoping, if he does leave and it's not for us, then it's some team not playing in the EPL. I think James has been a bit unlucky with his clubs. Some of it is obviously his own fault obviously, but he's IMO defnitely an excellent player and he needs a manager that knows how to get the best out of him. Kovac isn't that manager. With Ancelotti, I thought he was excellent. Similarly to Joao Felix, I've only seen glimpses of Zaniolo. He looks talented, but I can't say whether I would want him at United. I need to see more of him. Currently I'd prefer Joao Felix, from the little I've seen of the two.
I could be wrong but I think Fekir might end up like Reus, talked about as a target for bigger clubs every summer but ends up staying where he is. Fair point on James, Real bought him as they wanted the star of the 2014 World Cup but never really set up to play him in his best position, and then he's had managerial ups and downs at Bayern, he's not a player I'd be excited to see us buy but I'd not be dead against it either. Joao Felix, Zaniolo and Havertz are all in the same category that we'd need to have patience with them but Joao Felix does look a bit special.

bucky

I could be wrong but I think Fekir might end up like Reus, talked about as a target for bigger clubs every summer but ends up staying where he is. Fair point on James, Real bought him as they wanted the star of the 2014 World Cup but never really set up to play him in his best position, and then he's had managerial ups and downs at Bayern, he's not a player I'd be excited to see us buy but I'd not be dead against it either. Joao Felix, Zaniolo and Havertz are all in the same category that we'd need to have patience with them but Joao Felix does look a bit special.
Agreed.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I have always thought that Pogba should be the point in a diamond shape, or play in front of a midfield three. To me he is not a good in any defensive duties he has to perform, albeit he has occasionally put in good tackles, but sometimes goes missing in that area. If he wasn't saddled with those defensive duties, and was given a freer role, I can see him becoming a world class performer. In that respect, if Fred doesn't fit the bill, you will need a hard working midfield player in that left sided position, and another defensive minded midfielder to replace Matic. Who I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to see what Ole and the coaches come up with for next season. Also that point position is the only one (at the moment) where i can see Pereira fitting in. Perhaps Gomes could be given an opportunity there?

cathari

I have always thought that Pogba should be the point in a diamond shape, or play in front of a midfield three. To me he is not a good in any defensive duties he has to perform, albeit he has occasionally put in good tackles, but sometimes goes missing in that area. If he wasn't saddled with those defensive duties, and was given a freer role, I can see him becoming a world class performer. In that respect, if Fred doesn't fit the bill, you will need a hard working midfield player in that left sided position, and another defensive minded midfielder to replace Matic. Who I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to see what Ole and the coaches come up with for next season. Also that point position is the only one (at the moment) where i can see Pereira fitting in. Perhaps Gomes could be given an opportunity there?
He has been playing quite freely under Ole, and excelled, but some restriction was put on him recently because of the injuries of Matic, Herrera and Lingard.

Devil may care

We need to be adding more creativity toi the team, not moving Pogba to the #10 role and adding more grafters IMO.

Judas

Open to offers
We need to be adding more creativity toi the team, not moving Pogba to the #10 role and adding more grafters IMO.
Agreed. We can't rely on Pogba to be our only midfield creator, he has his off days, when that happens we're screwed. City survive without having lots of grafters, there's no reason why we can't do similar.

Suedesi

Really depends on who we're releasing/selling & what roles we're after to balance our midfield.

If replacing Fellaini & loaning away McT then:
Complete Midfielder (Metronome)
1st Tier: Rabiot, Thiago, Cyprien
2nd Tier: Jordan, Rongier

If releasing Herrera & unconvinced by Fred then:
B2B Ball-Winner
1st Tier: Allan, Kante, Saul
2nd Choice: Ndidi

Next season, Matic & Pereira will be in last year of contract. If selling either/both this summer then:
DLP
1st Tier: Brozovic, Rodrigo
2nd Tier: Neves, Roca

If releasing Mata then:
AM (Right Flank)
1st Tier: Eriksen, Demirbay
2nd Tier: Ziyech, Fernandes

Brozovic :lol::lol::lol:

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Eriksen would be perfect but not happening. I think Real will nick him.

You would think that Kroos would be interested in a new challenge. Wish we moved for him

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He has been playing quite freely under Ole, and excelled, but some restriction was put on him recently because of the injuries of Matic, Herrera and Lingard.
I take your point, and yes he seemed freer than previously, but he could quite easily have two, or even three opponents closing down his space on our left side, and making him play from a much deeper position than he would like. If we had a player like Herrera on the left (Fred?), that would free Pogba to find space in other areas of the pitch.

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Every player is creative in their own way. You could say Shaw, Dalot, Martial, Rashford are all creative. Creativity relies on players making runs etc so the 'creative' players can find them with a pass. Creativity could also mean Shaw or Dalot whipping in crosses, or Martial and Rashford dribbling past several players and creating an opportunity to score. It's a bit subjective this creativity topic.

cathari

I take your point, and yes he seemed freer than previously, but he could quite easily have two, or even three opponents closing down his space on our left side, and making him play from a much deeper position than he would like. If we had a player like Herrera on the left (Fred?), that would free Pogba to find space in other areas of the pitch.
Instead of making him CAM, I'd rather play a more offensive Herrera (buy one, yes) who can be a threat on his own coming of the right, and sub-sequentially open up Pogba to play.

I think this also boils down to not having a credible right flank, which makes it easy and favorable for opposition to close down Pogba.

Jibbs

One player I'd love to have above anyone else is Ruben Neves. He has that Xabi Alonso, Carrick like ability we have been missing in our midfield.

Devil may care

Agreed. We can't rely on Pogba to be our only midfield creator, he has his off days, when that happens we're screwed. City survive without having lots of grafters, there's no reason why we can't do similar.
Exactly, we have most of the ball in the bulk of our games and Ole has mentioned after more than one game our need to control the game on the ball when we get ahead, we aren't short of workhorse's, we are short of thoroughbreds.

NoPace

Anyone intrigued by Grealish? Champo fans here wanna weigh in? The Champo midfielders he played against must rate him, as he's drawing 4.7 fouls a game, next best in the league is 2.8. He plays as a 10 mostly but Whoscored has him putting up 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 games as a CM.

And the normal thing to do if we're spending the huge money on Sancho at RW and a CB like Koulibaly, Skriniar or De Ligt would be to look for cheaper options in the 23-26 age bracket at CM and RB that we rate and are good tactical fits.

We'd platoon the midfield, basically. The same could be said for any 10 type you rate, be it Eriksen if we could somehow make that happen, Havertz, Brandt, Sarabia, or even a clever tucked in winger type moving inside like Ziyech, Soler, Lemar or Forsberg.

We have the ball a lot and gotta break down teams:

Pogba-Grealish
---Herrera----

Tougher games:

-Pogba-------------
-------Herrera/Fred
---Matic/Herrera--

Pogba is out/rested:

Grealish-------------
-------Herrera/Fred
---Matic/Herrera---

Last edited:

Red_Orchestra

I think Declan Rice would fit in quite nicely in that dm role, could be that Carrick player that we've been looking for.

Thomas Hunter

I think Declan Rice would fit in quite nicely in that dm role, could be that Carrick player that we've been looking for.
I could see him play for United, I'm always keen on bringin british players in. He's nowhere near Carrick level in terms passing skills though. He's good, and will improve, but he looks just like another Jordan Henderson

AgentP

If we are going to get a DM, it's going to be one of Neves, Rice and Rodrigo Hernandez. I think we should go for the Athletico midfielder. He has a buyout clause too. Some 50-60m which is pretty decent in this market.

deadrevelz

Are there any available DMs that will instantly improve us, or will they be understudies to Matic?
I'm all for signing young players but I'm worried that Matic might fall off a cliff next season then we are relying on McTominay. If we lose the Herrera and the defensive work he does it's going to be painful.

Ekeke

Whats wrong with Brozovic? He's had a really good season, very good ball winner and averages the 8th highest passes per game of a CM/DM in europe this season. 2 passes behind Kroos and 4 passes behind Veratti.

Again, he's a good ball winner unlike all of the players above him on the pass output list. Only 2 players out of those 7 above him have more than his average 1.6 key passes per game also which shows he isnt just passing sideways but is creating too. More key passes than any of our players :nono:

L1nk

I still think Neves and Rabiot on a free would be our best options and instantly upgrade our midfield without spending too much, leaving us with more money to fill other positions like RW.

I also think Weigl could be got cheaper than he normally would be, and still think he's young and good enough to play a Carrick role for us.

Suedesi

Whats wrong with Brozovic? He's had a really good season, very good ball winner and averages the 8th highest passes per game of a CM/DM in europe this season. 2 passes behind Kroos and 4 passes behind Veratti.

Again, he's a good ball winner unlike all of the players above him on the pass output list. Only 2 players out of those 7 above him have more than his average 1.6 key passes per game also which shows he isnt just passing sideways but is creating too. More key passes than any of our players :nono:
Please stop quoting me stats. I watch a fair amount of Serie A / Inter and Brozović is shocking. My Inter supporting friends want him shot.

The only interesting players at Inter right now are Skriniar, Politano and Icardi. The rest are mid table dross

Ekeke

Please stop quoting me stats. I watch a fair amount of Serie A / Inter and Brozović is shocking. My Inter supporting friends want him shot.

The only interesting players at Inter right now are Skriniar, Politano and Icardi. The rest are mid table dross
Nonsense

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

:houllier:

ash_86

I seriously think McTomney could be Matic's replacement. I'd be trying to get more options where Herrera plays.

Dion

Actually he does. I was surprised to see him make some passes .
I've watched him since he was 17, his range of passing is incredibly limited for a Man Utd midfielder. For our three most successful seasons Carrick was our second best passer of the ball, that's the standard required. Compare McTominay to Fernandinho and you see how big the difference is and Fernandinho isn't even an especially outstanding passer of the ball for that role.

Treble

I seriously think McTomney could be Matic's replacement. I'd be trying to get more options where Herrera plays.
Would be great but I very much doubt it. He is more Cleverly than say Carrick.

NoPace

Brozovic is a solid player but functionally seems similar to Fred in terms of level and position and strengths and weaknesses.

McTominay is 22 but size in the Prem is good, his 90% scenario is becoming our backup #6 for the next few years, backing up Matic next year and then a shiny new DM after. Most likely scenario is he becomes a solid player for a Champo or lower tier Prem team, which is a fine career, sort of like Oliver Norwood (completely opposite deep midfielder stylistically) who's about to get his 3rd promotion in a row and could presumably have been a solid #4 or #5 midfielder for some Prem team the last 2-3 years, pinging balls around but physically nothing special.

ash_86

I've watched him since he was 17, his range of passing is incredibly limited for a Man Utd midfielder. For our three most successful seasons Carrick was our second best passer of the ball, that's the standard required. Compare McTominay to Fernandinho and you see how big the difference is and Fernandinho isn't even an especially outstanding passer of the ball for that role.
I'll take your word for it but off late I see him being calm and composed down the middle . I think his passing range is no more worse than Matic . Still the subset is too small to look at . Rest of the games I hope we get to witness him few times.

Would be great but I very much doubt it. He is more Cleverly than say Carrick.
Too early for comparison but I think SMcT has better composure on the ball . Also Ole seems to rate him slightly .

croadyman

I still think Neves and Rabiot on a free would be our best options and instantly upgrade our midfield without spending too much, leaving us with more money to fill other positions like RW.

I also think Weigl could be got cheaper than he normally would be, and still think he's young and good enough to play a Carrick role for us.
You are definitely talking my language,still feel Kroos could be a classy addition despite the age

Devil may care

My concern with midfield is that we might be focusing on adding a more creative #8 but leaving El Lumbero as our only holding midfielder with McTominay as his back-up/rotation.