The Search for a Midfielder

Jig1234

"If Fellaini leaves" - Even if he stays we need two midfielders. One CM and one DM. We have to remember Herrera has been inconsistent for large parts of the season. Matic isn't exactly on the young side. He has been fantastic but is going to be another year older and he isn't the most mobile. Fellaini has also been in and out of the side.

I agree we need to keep as many players as we can but I do think 2 central midfielders who can control and dictate play. Get the ball forward.

I would love Jorginho. Also, We have to factor in how the World Cup will make transfers more complicated. Jorginho has not WC commitments. I think we should try and snap him up as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Comment makes no sense. Why replace players that barely players :lol:. Carrick has 0 starts. I could be his replacement.

I believe we should be after only one box to box midfield. A player that will complement Pogba and Matic in that midfield three.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We clearly do need two midfielders. Midfield is such an important area of the pitch and when Pogba is out we really struggle, and we also need to get more control in there against the better sides. We need a backup player and a starter.

Ekeke

Comment makes no sense. Why replace players that barely players :lol:. Carrick has 0 starts. I could be his replacement.

I believe we should be after only one box to box midfield. A player that will complement Pogba and Matic in that midfield three.
Good news. We have Ander.

But yes, when he says replacing Carrick I believe he means in terms of squad depth. I wouldnt imagine it would be anyone more exciting than Chelsea signing Danny Drinkwater for their depth

Amadaeus

Good news. We have Ander.

But yes, when he says replacing Carrick I believe he means in terms of squad depth. I wouldnt imagine it would be anyone more exciting than Chelsea signing Danny Drinkwater for their depth
Ander is good, but I believe we need competition for the last spot in our midfield three.

Signing someone like Drinkwater to replace Carrick is illogical. We are better of promoting a youth player from our academy.

El-Manos

One midfielder, 2 full backs in my opinion.

In an ideal world - right & left back, midfielder and right winger for the summer. Centre back depending on who leaves.

Ekeke

Ander is good, but I believe we need competition for the last spot in our midfield three.

Signing someone like Drinkwater to replace Carrick is illogical. We are better of promoting a youth player from our academy.
Then you're missing the point of why Chelsea signed him and what Mourinho probably wants. Experience. Someone with experience to play a couple of matches that Carrick would have been in contention for, when resting everyone else. We have plenty of young players to play around that player

Amadaeus

Then you're missing the point of why Chelsea signed him and what Mourinho probably wants. Experience. Someone with experience to play a couple of matches that Carrick would have been in contention for, when resting everyone else. We have plenty of young players to play around that player
You are right, I completely missed the point or reason to why Chelsea would want to sign someone like Drinkwater. That signing seems to be working out great for them and Chelsea are better of utilizing the experience of Drinkwater than giving the game time to an academy product and letting him develop.

Last edited:

Ekeke

You are right, I completely missed the point or reason to why Chelsea would want to sign someone like Drinkwater. That signing seems to be working out great for them and Chelsea are better of utilizing the experience of Drinkwater than giving the game time to an academy product and letting him develop.
So you want a full team of youth players with no experience around them when they play in cup matches? That always worked out so well for Arsenal.

Devil may care

Mourinho's only started to use Herrera in the last 6 weeks or so, I doubt he buys a CM that he only sees as a squad option as IMO that is what he sees Herrera as.

Amadaeus

So you want a full team of youth players with no experience around them when they play in cup matches? That always worked out so well for Arsenal.
I want a good mixture. If you take out Carrick from our current team, we have players like Herrera and Blind(if he stays) who could take on a more experienced role in the midfield. In addition, Pogba who is very vocal, Matic(who leads by example on and off the pitch) and the specified box to box midfielder(depending on who this is, he could be another leader added to our team). As you can clearly see, we are not short on leadership or experience in midfield. What we lack is the enthusiasm and vitality of youth. So, I still believe signing someone like Drinkwater just because of the experience factor will be illogical.

#CR7

Personally would go for Doucoure and Eriksen. Two PL proven players which is important if we want them to settle quickly and hit the ground running.

Although, Eriksen is not a like for like replacement for Carrick I think he would offer better balance to the team than a DLP, who would then become redundant with Pogba and Eriksen as creators.

Doucoure’s physicality would help us to compete in the bigger games and allow us not to get overrun in midfield. Would definitely offer more than Fellaini. I also believe he can be coached in Matic’s role giving us further depth.

Add Herrera and Mctominay into the mix and we have plenty of options and most importantly we’re not over reliant on any single player.

Ekeke

I want a good mixture. If you take out Carrick from our current team, we have players like Herrera and Blind(if he stays) who could take on a more experienced role in the midfield. In addition, Pogba who is very vocal, Matic(who leads by example on and off the pitch) and the the specified box to box midfielder(depending on who this is, he could be another leader added to our team). As you can clearly see, we are not short on leadership or experience in midfield. What we lack is the enthusiasm and vitality of youth. So, I still believe signing someone like Drinkwater just because of the experience factor will be illogical.
Again, those are our FIRST choice midfielders. Thats not where Carrick would have been in contention for matches, thats more like early rounds of the FA cup as 1 of 2 or 3 experienced players around the kids.

Rajma

Bit surprised tbh, I would have thought he'd have only wanted to sign one and allow McTominay to be the Fellaini replacement. That way we can invest in fullbacks.
Don’t think he sees him as good enough (not now at least) for us quality-wise despite McTominay having an attitude and heart to play for us. It’s easier to bring through and bed in the youth when you’re already on top, Jose knows he simply can’t afford taking any chances next season.

Amadaeus

Again, those are our FIRST choice midfielders. Thats not where Carrick would have been in contention for matches, thats more like early rounds of the FA cup as 1 of 2 or 3 experienced players around the kids.
You are assuming that the specified box to box midfield I mentioned wouldn’t go straight into the first team. If that is the case, that would leave a potential midfield three of:

Blind
McTominay - Herrera​

For those early fa cup games. That is an experienced midfield for those type of matches. If you don’t believe we should get a first team box to box midfielder, then just swap Herrera for that player and the result will still be the same.

Sanche7

So a DLP and a B2B?
Jorginho could be the DLP, B2B I've no idea

Ekeke

You are assuming that the specified box to box midfield I mentioned wouldn’t go straight into the first team. If that is the case, that would leave a potential midfield three of:

Blind
McTominay - Herrera​

For those early fa cup games. That is an experienced midfield for those type of matches. If you don’t believe we should get a first team box to box midfielder, then just swap Herrera for that player and the result will still be the same.
Why is one of our first choice CMs playing in a game where we're supposed to be resting the first teamers? And Mourinho clearly doesnt rate Blind in midfield regardless of whether he can play there.

Again Mourinho said we need someone to replace Carrick. As I said I believe that to mean in terms of his role in the squad, someone way down the pecking order to compete for the lesser games and cover for the others. An unfancy signing like Chelsea with Drinkwater for some depth, as my example. Someone who can play alongside the youngsters you want to see play, not instead of them.

Amadaeus

Why is one of our first choice CMs playing in a game where we're supposed to be resting the first teamers?
As I stated in my last post.......with the signing of a box to box midfielder, Herrera would no longer be first choice..... If Herrera showcases he is better than the supposedly new signing, then the new signing will play in these type of game instead.

And Mourinho clearly doesnt rate Blind in midfield regardless of whether he can play there.
If Blind goes, along with Fellaini and Carrick, we can switch to a 4-2-3-1 system instead. In those type of matches, we wouldn’t need a sitting midfielder and we can go for a more attack oriented approach.

Again Mourinho said we need someone to replace Carrick. As I said I believe that to mean in terms of his role in the squad, someone way down the pecking order to compete for the lesser games and cover for the others. An unfancy signing like Chelsea with Drinkwater for some depth, as my example. Someone who can play alongside the youngsters you want to see play, not instead of them.
That is why I believe that comment makes no sense. If we are to buy a box to box midfielder to compete with Herrera, then only one of them can have that spot in front of matic and next to Pogba. As such, whoever loses, will be relegated to play in these type of fa cup games. Whoever’s loses will add experience alongside our youngsters. As such, no need need to add more experience when what we would need instead in this position is vitality, hunger, blood, sweet, thunder and passion.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Cheeky bid for Gundogan? I think he would be a perfect midfielder to get the better out of Pogba, can control the game from deep and also break forward if United want more options. Not exactly first choice for City so they may be willing to sell, they can always buy a younger replacement, but don't know if he would be willing to join from City.

Greck

Don't understand what 'Carrick replacement' means. What exactly are we aiming for with a a Carrick replacement? If the intention is for Pogba and Matic to hold down the 2 in a 4231 then any Carrick replacement would really just be a bench option for competition. With Mctominay and Herrera available we have plenty of that. A new midfielder should be Tier B on our priority list

NotATroll

Weigl to sit and dictate and Fred to provide energy/forward runs/creativity.

You know you want it.

Sanche7

I think the DLP would play next to Matic with Pogba ahead of them both.
Something like

Pogba
Jorginho
Matic
So we start with 4-3-3 which becomes a 4-2-3-1 when we attack. Pogba will have more freedom but he won't play as your typical #10, he would hang back a bit, act as play maker and occasionally get into the box lampard style.
In games against weaker sides, one of Jorginho / Matic would be rested and we start with 4-2-3-1
Atleast that's how I see it.

Saw Jorginho play yesterday and loved those passes from the deep. He is very good on the ball and the weight on his through balls are perfect.
Can also see us going for a B2B like Fred, who would be OK with sitting on the bench occasionally

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

We have no cover/competition for matic. If he picks an injury we are in big big trouble

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Cheeky bid for Gundogan? I think he would be a perfect midfielder to get the better out of Pogba, can control the game from deep and also break forward if United want more options. Not exactly first choice for City so they may be willing to sell, they can always buy a younger replacement, but don't know if he would be willing to join from City.
Crock

M Bison

Supports
York City
We need 2 CM's regardless of Fellaini, i hope he doesn't sign a contract and end up staying myself which would force us to sign another CM in his place but for me, it shouldn't make a difference either way.

I'd bring in Lewis Cook from Bournemouth, hell of a player and only 21, i'd have him providing competition for Herrera and another player to compete/provide support for Matic, Jorginho seems to be a popular option.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We don't have someone who can provide creativity from midfield if Pogba is out. Ideally we should get someone that can cover for Pogba and also play the B2B position.

Silas

Isco? Usually plays slightly further forward these days, but I don't see him having any problems as a #8. I saw stuff about him not feeling appreciated at Real some time ago, so if that's still true, we could go for him.

settembrini

Carrick and Fellaini are squad players who barely contribute. I would be happy giving their game time to existing players like McTominay, Pereira or Fosu-Mensah.

The positions where we most badly need new signings are left back, right back and right wing. We have needed new signings in two of those positions for a while and Mourinho has ignored that, preferring to buy players in positions where we were already strong. I hope he doesn't repeat that mistake this summer.

Smores

I don't think he's neccesaily saying those players will be signings hence his use of replacement. I'd imagine McTominay will secure a place but we still need someone in to get minutes.

One actual signing and then Periera and McTominay would be enough. If Periera doesn't come back then bring someone else in.

Canagel

We need a creative midfielder. When Pogba is out we lose all creativity from midfield. Someone who can share that burden with him is vital. I want someone in the mould of Silva, Isco, Coutinho etc. Someone short, agile with ability to operate in tight areas finding little pockets of space and draw defenders in. These kind of players create panic in opposition defenders and will give us more control over games. And the second midfielder we need is a box to box player like Naingollan, Vidal, SMS, Saul, Thiago etc. Because if you're going to play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 diamond you need them to chip in with 10 goals at least a season and that's what they can do. So two midfielders is correct. Carrick and Fellaini haven't done anything this season. if they leave we are left with Matic, Herrera and Pogba. One injury and we are fecked. In a season where we could play 50 games plus that's a huge workload for 3 midfielders. So a creative midfielder to ease the workload on Pogba and be able to take over in the case of his absence so we don't end up like we were for 3 months this season with no creativity and ideas from midfield. And a creative box to box who can also fill in at DM would be fantastic like Saul for example. Gundogan does this role perfectly for City. Sometimes he plays as an 8 with Fernandinho holding and Silva/KDB as the other 8. And sometimes he plays a DM with KDB and Silva infront. This is exactly what we should be looking for. Someone that can play box to box and score goals but at the same time be able to fill in at DM and the team doesn't suffer defensively.

Last edited:

Ekeke

As I stated in my last post.......with the signing of a box to box midfielder, Herrera would no longer be first choice..... If Herrera showcases he is better than the supposedly new signing, then the new signing will play in these type of game instead.

If Blind goes, along with Fellaini and Carrick, we can switch to a 4-2-3-1 system instead. In those type of matches, we wouldn’t need a sitting midfielder and we can go for a more attack oriented approach.

That is why I believe that comment makes no sense. If we are to buy a box to box midfielder to compete with Herrera, then only one of them can have that spot in front of matic and next to Pogba. As such, whoever loses, will be relegated to play in these type of fa cup games. Whoever’s loses will add experience alongside our youngsters. As such, no need need to add more experience when what we would need instead in this position is vitality, hunger, blood, sweet, thunder and passion.
We arent signing someone to compete with Ander unless Fellaini leaves. If we sell him expect someone of similar quality. Ander as shown the past few weeks is what we need to help Matic and Pogba. Your mystery box to box midfielder that would replace Fellaini will have a big job doing as well.